Port Adelaide 2020

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2020

Postby MW » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:20 am

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:Pass or fail this year for Port?

Make the eight and lose a prelim I'd say pass however sitting on top every round and losing a prelim at home after extra weeks rest, fail.

Given we were 10th last year and the coach looked to be getting sacked while turning the playing list over it's clearly a pass. Winning a final was the bare minimum for mine this year.

Richmond were better than us Friday night, granted we were top all year and home prelim but they're going for a third flag in 4 years and we've got 7 blokes 22 or under in our side.

Fell like our turn will come.

Another year into the well publicised three kids and who knows what could happen.
Covering the pending retirements and experience will be key.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby MW » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:22 am

Booney wrote:
valleys07 wrote:MW-

At the start of the year, we set out to win the flag. Lofty expectation yes, but Kern laid the challenge down. To do that, you have to make finals, and indeed the Granny, finals and winning a final in the eyes of Port fans was probably the pass mark.

To finish where we did at the end of the minor round, in the manner that we did (top all year) that pass mark in my eyes shifted to a GF appearance, which we didn't meet.

If you had of offered me this sort of season at the beginning of the year, id have taken it for sure, but I left the Port Club Friday night feeling like we underachieved for season 2020.

If we'd lost to anyone other than Richmond or Geelong to make the GF I'd feel like we underachieved, said weeks ago we'd need to beat them both to win the flag and we knocked one of them over, not quite good enough to roll the other one.

The numbness I've got is because I feel like we were about where we should have been, better than most, not quite as good as a couple.

This is my point of the original comment.
Make the prelim from say 5th-8th and it's a massive tick. To lose it after being top is tough to take regardless of where the club was at in 2019.
MW
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:24 am

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:
valleys07 wrote:MW-

At the start of the year, we set out to win the flag. Lofty expectation yes, but Kern laid the challenge down. To do that, you have to make finals, and indeed the Granny, finals and winning a final in the eyes of Port fans was probably the pass mark.

To finish where we did at the end of the minor round, in the manner that we did (top all year) that pass mark in my eyes shifted to a GF appearance, which we didn't meet.

If you had of offered me this sort of season at the beginning of the year, id have taken it for sure, but I left the Port Club Friday night feeling like we underachieved for season 2020.

If we'd lost to anyone other than Richmond or Geelong to make the GF I'd feel like we underachieved, said weeks ago we'd need to beat them both to win the flag and we knocked one of them over, not quite good enough to roll the other one.

The numbness I've got is because I feel like we were about where we should have been, better than most, not quite as good as a couple.

Make the prelim from say 5th-8th and it's a massive tick. To lose it after being top is tough to take regardless of where the club was at in 2019.
Brisbane was a massive fail considering the leg ups they got.
Port were just unlucky
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:26 am

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

Make the eight and lose a prelim I'd say pass however sitting on top every round and losing a prelim at home after extra weeks rest, fail.

Given we were 10th last year and the coach looked to be getting sacked while turning the playing list over it's clearly a pass. Winning a final was the bare minimum for mine this year.

Richmond were better than us Friday night, granted we were top all year and home prelim but they're going for a third flag in 4 years and we've got 7 blokes 22 or under in our side.

Another year into the well publicised three kids and who knows what could happen.
Covering the pending retirements and experience will be key.

Given we'll probably only lose Ebert and Westhoff this year, who wasn't in the side, from the older group there's not too much to cover in the short term.

Dixon has just signed for 3 years so the key will be keeping Ladhams, Marshall and Georgiades in the group to fill that role in a few years.

Gray will have Rozee, Butters and Woodcock wanting his spot when he's done, I think 2 more for Gray.

Boak, well he might go 3 or 4 more at this rate so who knows who will be around when he's ready to pull the pin.

I reckon Gray 2 more, Dixon 3 more and Boak 3 or 4 more staggers that group a little, Rockliff, the only other one 30 or older and he'll probably go 1 more.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:27 am

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

You have to give credit to the opposition. If we got beat by a team who I felt we were better than on Friday I'd be gutted, we lost to the best team of the last 4 years by a goal.

Every year one prelim ends up feeling like the GF, the other the consolation prize, Friday night felt like the GF and Saturday the consolation prize.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:49 am

MW wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Wow.

Care to elaborate?

Pretty much what Booney and valleys have touched on, we've been poo for a while, we were gifted a favourable draw and the best team of the last 5 years took us down narrowly, there's only one premier every year and nobody cares or remembers who finished anywhere else (except wubsy).

Straight sets would've been a fail, we were rebuilding and we done just that, yes it was there within our grasp and we fell short against a finals hardened, well drilled, well composed team.

A disappointment, yes, a fail, no.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby MW » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:51 am

true. well said
MW
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:56 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Need a KPD, crumbing forward and the ruckman to come on and Port will be a force again next year

If Westhoff played instead of Marshall I think we would've been a bit more dangerous, going into attack, if we actually cared about Dusty we may have faired better also, Richmond covered Charlie well and forced him deep, his only goal came from the arc, that should've been where we went boom, everyone was waiting for somebody else to provide a moment of magic, Richmond don't let the opposition do that.
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:58 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Richmond covered Charlie well and forced to deep, his only goal came from the arc,.

I thought in the last quarter, that's where Port probably should've looked to score from a bit more. Would've like to have seen Hartlett and McKenzie up around the F50, see if you could get them having a set shot around that area.

Worst case they don't make the distance, and its a deep entry to a dangerous spot for Dixon and Co to compete.

Best case they score.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:00 am

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Richmond covered Charlie well and forced to deep, his only goal came from the arc,.

I thought in the last quarter, that's where Port probably should've looked to score from a bit more. Would've like to have seen Hartlett and McKenzie up around the F50, see if you could get them having a set shot around that area.

Worst case they don't make the distance, and its a deep entry to a dangerous spot for Dixon and Co to compete.

Best case they score.

We were too scared to try anything new, our team was a stock standard team with little versatility, when we're dropping handballs while on the run you know you're playing with 100% confidence, that's what Richmond's pressure does to you.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:09 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Best case they score.

We were too scared to try anything new, our team was a stock standard team with little versatility, when we're dropping handballs while on the run you know you're playing with 100% confidence, that's what Richmond's pressure does to you.

Lycett needed someone to step up and help as Nankervis was the difference in the final 5-10 minutes
Jim05
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:11 am

Heard people say that numerous times, Nankervis had no help for the entire game, at least Port had Ladhams to give him a chop out
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:12 am

Jim05 wrote:Lycett needed someone to step up and help as Nankervis was the difference in the final 5-10 minutes

Nankervis was brilliant, Lycett tired, we were strung out as Ladhams had to help Chuck as Marshall was witch hatting.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 am

Brodlach wrote:Heard people say that numerous times, Nankervis had no help for the entire game, at least Port had Ladhams to give him a chop out
True but I think Lycett and Ladhams spent over 80% of TOG, Nankervis was in the 60% region so it seems Richmond were prepared to give him a few decent spells on the pine. Nankervis was still going strong at the final siren and it wasn’t just those couple of marks in defence his ruck work was instrumental in giving Richmond the dominance in clearances
Jim05
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:17 pm

For Port, I think the difference will come from whether Ladams can improve, whether Marshall can improve and step up as that tall forward, espically when Dixon is getting jumped on.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Pag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:41 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Heard people say that numerous times, Nankervis had no help for the entire game, at least Port had Ladhams to give him a chop out
True but I think Lycett and Ladhams spent over 80% of TOG, Nankervis was in the 60% region so it seems Richmond were prepared to give him a few decent spells on the pine. Nankervis was still going strong at the final siren and it wasn’t just those couple of marks in defence his ruck work was instrumental in giving Richmond the dominance in clearances

This, thought Grimes playing on Marshall was really important as it released Astbury to help out Nank for decent periods in the ruck. Might've lost some hitouts earlier on but by the end, was the difference in the game.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:04 pm

David Koch's on Ken Hinkley's contract: It certaintly won't be a one or two-year contract, we agreed during the season we weren't going to be distracted by talks of a contract. I think it's a no-brainer that we talk about (a longer-term) contract.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:05 pm

Booney wrote:David Koch's on Ken Hinkley's contract: It certaintly won't be a one or two-year contract, we agreed during the season we weren't going to be distracted by talks of a contract. I think it's a no-brainer that we talk about (a longer-term) contract.

Oh dear!!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:08 pm

Booney wrote:David Koch's on Ken Hinkley's contract: It certaintly won't be a one or two-year contract, we agreed during the season we weren't going to be distracted by talks of a contract. I think it's a no-brainer that we talk about (a longer-term) contract.
3 year extension the rumour
Jim05
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:37 pm

I wonder what percentage of coaches that have been in the chair greater than 5 years end up winning a flag post their 5th year.

Hardwick, Bomber Thompson and Mick Malthouse at Collingwood are the ones that come to mind, but there wouldn't be many more i'd have thought.

Ballsy decision, given Ken has won just 1 final in his last 6 seasons at the helm.

I don't like it.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL