2020 AFL Grand Final Richmond v Geelong

Talk on the national game

Re: 2020 AFL Grand Final Richmond v Geelong

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:47 am

Trader wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Dusty is the best "Big Game" player ever, now proven.

Agreed.

With that said, as someone who was never a good sportsman, I don't understand this concept of a big game player.
Doesn't that just mean he's lazy in games that don't matter as much?
Why doesn't he play this good all the time?

Or is it more that he plays at the same level, and other players drop off in big games cause the nerves get to them, and comparatively it makes him look better in the big games?

A bit of everything you mentioned I guess, perhaps he just goes through the motions in normal season and just does enough to get his team over the line and ready for the business end?

Perhaps he produces half a dozen performances per year like this one but it's more prevalent in the big dance, you could be on the money with the nerves thing, I know I've been a candidate of playing the GF in my head 30 times the week leading up to it, he might not?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:47 am

Jim05 wrote:
Trader wrote:

Agreed.

With that said, as someone who was never a good sportsman, I don't understand this concept of a big game player.

Or is it more that he plays at the same level, and other players drop off in big games cause the nerves get to them, and comparatively it makes him look better in the big games?
I think he went through the motions a few times this year. If he was serious he could kick 3-4 most weeks. He does appear to lift in big games

How's that last goal, that just shouldn't and doesn't happen.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

2020 AFL Grand Final Richmond v Geelong

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Trader wrote:

Agreed.

I think he went through the motions a few times this year. If he was serious he could kick 3-4 most weeks. He does appear to lift in big games

How's that last goal, that just shouldn't and doesn't happen.
I’ve never seen Dangerfield treated with such contempt. He swatted him away like a fly and then the finish WOW
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:54 am

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:
Q. wrote:How's the pics of Short stuffing several grams of cocaine into his sock following an exchange on the sidelines after the game :shock: :lol:

Quite unbelievable!

Serious? Any link?

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:55 am

He sweated off Stanley waiting for him to handball to Dangerfield, intercepted it as clean as a whistle, Dangerfield got him, got both arms around him and he just twisted the hips and shrug him off before snapping one of the all time great goals.

I was sitting at a mates place, me, my wife, him and his, none of us Richmond fans, the place erupted when he kicked that one. Neighbours would have thought 30 people were in the place.

Truly #special
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:02 am

Dutchy wrote:
MW wrote:
Booney wrote:
Q. wrote:How's the pics of Short stuffing several grams of cocaine into his sock following an exchange on the sidelines after the game :shock: :lol:

Quite unbelievable!

Serious? Any link?

woah what the f....
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Trader » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:05 am

Bloke in the crowd was just a concerned citizen.

Fan: "I found this on the ground, not sure what to do with it."
Short: "Mate, I'm about to celebrate, I can't sort it out."
Fan: "C'mon Shorty, there are kids around, I can't leave it here."
Short: "Ok, give it to me, I'll hand it over to the next cop I see on this victory lap."
Fan: "Cheers mate, you're a good egg."

Richmond Fans and Players, helping the community out since 2017.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby MW » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:09 am

It's being reported as a watch... yeah right
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Pag » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:14 am

Booney wrote:My musings on the GF :

Keeping in mind the AFL was hamstrung in regards to the entertainment available they didn't do a bad job. With international artists unavailable it was down to local artists only, whilst it didn't do much for me, or anyone for that matter, it was another example of the AFL just getting it done in 2020.

If a night Grand Final floats your boat because some lights flash and look cool you're either a moth or one of those people who think flares at the soccer look cool, sure, it was probably spectacular at the ground but on TV it was nothing special and it can't be the reason the AFL want night time GFs.

What an opening 5 minutes! Vlastuin was out and out, Ablett looked like his shoulder was out and so was he, what a remarkable effort to return to the field in the state he was in, clearly hampered by the injury you could question what was his value out there? With Grimes blanketing Dangerfield the Geelong forward line was a 1 man show in the second half. Ablett injured, Dangerfield blanketed, Rohan chasing Leon Davis, Grymblehebehe Miers hacking it up on the wing and O'Connor river dancing or something.

While Geelong had the better of the second quarter it wasn't as though Richmond were conceding much, it was 1.1 to 3.3 for the quarter and the Cats looked like they'd fired their shot, you knew Richmond had more in them.

At the other end everything Taylor touched turned to shit, he even copped an out on the full just running past minding his own business. Once Lynch cooked him the Tigers took over, Lynch and Riewoldt got a handful of touches but more importantly they broke the Geelong defence up and the likes of Stewart and Henderson couldn't get to the contest to help out. Game over.

Ablett, what a pleasure it has been to witness his career.

Martin, what a pleasure it is to be watching him at the peak of his powers.

Congratulations to Ablett and Taylor on their careers.

Good summary Boon.

In terms of the half-time show, half the Gabba crowd didn't watch it anyway as the line up for the toilets (even males) was ridiculous. Dunno how that joint goes on Day 1 of a test match but it was hard work. Kids would've loved it, but I didn't pay the money for Sheppard, I was there to watch footy.
Well done to QLD government and the AFL for putting it on at all, but 2.30pm EST at the G next year please.

Commend Ablett for playing on. Could tell he was hampered but if the game was close in the last five-ten mins the extra rotation for the previous three and a half quarters may have been the difference.

Felt like the second quarter was just as important as the third and fourth. Could tell we were under the pump for the majority of it, but to only give up three goals, and then snatch one back late was a massive win. The last five mins I felt we had got the game back on our terms and I was optimistic going into half time. Had a lot of the 2019 prelim about it.

I have been stoic in my Alex Rance love, he was the best player I've seen wear a yellow and black jumper in my lifetime. But it's hard to say Dusty hasn't gone past him now, I was in awe of how easy he made it look at times.

I am so proud of my footy club. We were an absolute basket case for a long time. Got the right people in the right places by 2010, took a few years of pain, made the finals three years in a row to be knocked out horribly. Fell away terribly in 2016, could've thrown Dimma out the door and thought about starting again. Backed him and the list in, added in a couple of key cogs (Prestia, Nankervis etc) and here we are. I've gotten a bit over the 'you play all your games at home' and 'you get the GF at home' schtick from people, hopefully they can now realise they best team wins it anywhere.

The good times won't roll on forever, but I'm going to enjoy every bit of them while they last.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Bandit » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:24 am

MW wrote:It's being reported as a watch... yeah right

You dont wear your watch on your ankle? Get with the times man :lol:
Extend The Dukes
Bandit
Under 18s

Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 105 times

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:44 am

Sir Swamp thing on Twitter with some ripper GF week stats :

The 2020 Grand Final was 8 minutes longer than the 2019 Grand Final

Losses in V/
@AFL
Finals as Captain
1x: 123 players
2x: 67 players
3x: 38 players
4x: 32 players
5x: 12 players
6x: 10 players
7x: 4 players
8x: Jarrad McVeigh, Dick Reynolds, John Worsfold
9x:
10x:
11x:
12x:
13x: JOEL SELWOOD

How good is this one!

There have been 31 people play V/
@AFL
games for both RICH & GEEL
9 of them played finals for both

Brad Ottens was the ..
.. 1,000th person to play for RICH
.. 1,000th person to play for GEEL

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:47 am

Pag wrote:I've gotten a bit over the 'you play all your games at home' and 'you get the GF at home' schtick from people, hopefully they can now realise they best team wins it anywhere.

The good times won't roll on forever, but I'm going to enjoy every bit of them while they last.

I was trying to point this out to the Port nuffies on their FB page who thought we were unlucky and should've been there playing against Richmond.

There was many that think the finals system is flawed and can't see how we got the double chance and it isn't fair as we didn't get to use our chance, it's quite comical, I think I'll remove myself from it for next season.

One banana puts together a powerpoint-like presentation on what our team could look like next season, he had DBJ at centre half back :lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:52 am

Can we delete this thread now lol. Thanks.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:54 am

Bum Crack wrote:Can we delete this thread now lol. Thanks.

No.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Pag wrote:I've gotten a bit over the 'you play all your games at home' and 'you get the GF at home' schtick from people, hopefully they can now realise they best team wins it anywhere.

I was trying to point this out to the Port nuffies on their FB page who thought we were unlucky and should've been there playing against Richmond.

There was many that think the finals system is flawed and can't see how we got the double chance and it isn't fair as we didn't get to use our chance, it's quite comical, I think I'll remove myself from it for next season.

One banana puts together a powerpoint-like presentation on what our team could look like next season, he had DBJ at centre half back :lol: :lol:

At least Port can celebrate being Minor Premiers again

Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:18 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Dangerfield cleared by the MRO

Not intentional but it was still an arm to the head that put vlustin out of the game. A bit lucky IMO.

regards,

REB

Nuthin' in it - play on
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:40 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

At least Port can celebrate being Minor Premiers again

And 3rd.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:42 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

Not intentional but it was still an arm to the head that put vlustin out of the game. A bit lucky IMO.

regards,

REB

Nuthin' in it - play on

Plenty in it, just an accident though. The right result occurred.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Trader » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:03 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

Nuthin' in it - play on

Plenty in it, just an accident though. The right result occurred.

I would have thought it would have been graded Head High, forceful contact, but given the lowest rating on the intentional/reckless/negligent/etc scale.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:47 pm

Even a cats hater like me will tell you they got it right, just an accident.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1415 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL