EAGLES 2020 PREMIERS

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: EAGLES 2020 PREMIERS

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:52 pm

Aerie wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Eagles Nest wrote:I think so, Tea Tree Gully certainly was.
Another example of the SANFL screwing over Torrens.
We developed the area and it was even mooted that we set up home out there.
Then they gave the area to Norwood

Not sure you can say that the Eagles have been 'screwed over'. After all. you received the areas of two clubs: Woodville AND West Torrens. It was only right that some of your very old area was taken away.
The club has worked very hard in making success happen since then, but there is no way they were treated harshly by the SANFL.
Cheers

All 9 SANFL clubs have had equal zones well before the turn of the century. The Eagles don't have double the zone of everyone else.

It is no coincidence the lowest supported clubs (Eagles, South and West) have been shifted around the most over their history.

You can begin when Woodville was brought in in 1964. Then to compensate Torrens was given the north-east. Then it was taken away and handed to Norwood. Then the merger.

In more recent times, the Eagles lost Thebarton and that area to West in the early 2000's. Then when Port was turned into an AFL Reserves team, the Eagles were shifted out of the entire area west of the city and north of Trimmer Parade and even a suburb in Woodville was taken away. Glenelg and West the beneficiaries They have since been given a slice of the coastal area back to Henley Beach, beachside of Cudmore Tce and north of Henley Beach Rd.

The Eagles have taken over much of Port Adelaide heartland (good luck getting Eagles supporters from that lot - especially with the Magpies still in the SANFL) and have even built facilities in Wingfield of all places.

The club has still done a wonderful job of developing juniors and turning them in to AFL and SANFL League footballers, regardless of zones.

But yes, the SANFL have screwed over the Eagles, in both their forms, over the last 60 odd years. Hence they've gone from being the 3rd biggest club in 1963 (behind Port and Norwood) to one of the three smallest supported clubs. But, they've survived and prospered and the supporters who remain can be very proud of their club, which keeps battling on.

As you say, though, all clubs have had pretty evenly populated zones for many years. It will always be the clubs in the lower socio-economic areas that are faring worse from such a system though, as there is more need for the teenager to be seeking weekend employment to help support the family, plus less family cohesion.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Ronnie » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:08 pm

goddy11 wrote:But, they've survived and prospered

That's the whole problem, West Torrens didn't survive the introduction of Woodville and the advent of the AFL. I went to Thebarton Oval the other week and was reminded of the terrific matches played there in the past. I personally think the new Eagles lost a huge chunk of the old West Torrens supporter base. Maybe they may have kept a few more if Thebarton had been used as their base but what would that have left Woodville with?
The loss of West Torrens was one of worst outcomes for football in this state.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby goddy11 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:01 pm

Ronnie wrote:
goddy11 wrote:But, they've survived and prospered

That's the whole problem, West Torrens didn't survive the introduction of Woodville and the advent of the AFL. I went to Thebarton Oval the other week and was reminded of the terrific matches played there in the past. I personally think the new Eagles lost a huge chunk of the old West Torrens supporter base. Maybe they may have kept a few more if Thebarton had been used as their base but what would that have left Woodville with?
The loss of West Torrens was one of worst outcomes for football in this state.

Ronnie I have been a member since the merger. Personally I was for it. Previous to that I was an WT club member for about 15 years. I had seen mismanagement at its best. Does anyone remember Gordon Pickard coming in to offer help when we almost closed. It was embarrassing how some treated him. Year after year of no finals even though we had great playing lists. Since the merger there has been hardly a year when we have failed. I recall we still had reasonable crowds in the 90's. A game against North that attracted about 8k crowd at Woodville. My belief is the AFC has mainly been our downfall. We lost supporters and administrators. We were on a knife edge with supporters choosing the Crows. The local area was mainly older residents and this was a big factor as well. I actually live in the TT Gully area so I only attend matches. In my WT days we had a crew of about 10 that attended but since then we are down to about 3. Age and moving out of the club area has caught up to all. Centrals for example had a large ever growing area with many companies there. Unfortunately the closure of Holden's and supporting companies will hit them hard. West Adelaide has a similar problem to us. Were both landlocked residents wise. Someone earlier mentioned us having PA area to get supporters. Good luck to that.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Ronnie » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks for the insight goddy
No doubt, in terms of win-loss, the merger itself has been a huge success.
I have connections to Sturt. That is a club that has seen some extreme lows and extreme highs and hasn't been consigned to history only because of some generous support and the unlikely outcome which saw the club get back to Unley Oval. But for all clubs now it is hard yakka to try and keep the comp in some sort of viable state. There is no easy solution either.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Jackal1 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:21 pm

Good point Wedgetail about Reddens performance in the Grand Final Victory, it was the catalyst for the huge second quarter. Redden only had one wing working as well. I was surprised that we did not actually hit the front until almost the 14 minute mark of the second quarter yet the game was over at half time - such was the blitz that the Eagles delivered..
Jackal1
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby goddy11 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:12 pm

Sheedy and the Club not resting on past glories and this is good promotion

Woodville-West Torrens will head up to the APY Lands this week as it looks to unearth indigenous talent from its regional zone.
Eagles premiership coach Jade Sheedy will be joined by Chief Executive Luke Powell and League Director Dave Couzner in conducting talent exhibition matches in Amata on Wednesday and Mutitjulu on Thursday.
Speaking on SANFL Radio, Sheedy – who will be making his first trip to the far north of the state – said they would also be fostering the community’s connection with the club by taking up Eagles merchandise and the Thomas Seymour Hill Trophy.
Sheedy said he had been thoroughly enjoying the celebrations after his side won its first League flag since 2011, with several loyal fans and members overjoyed with the victory against North Adelaide.
A host of senior players – including captain Luke Thompson, defender Pat Giuffreda, wingman Matt Goldsworthy and ruckman Jarrad Redden – have indicated they will play on in 2021.
This could provide the club with great stability for its premiership defence next year, considering powerful backman Lachlan Jones is thought to be the only certainty to be selected in December’s AFL Draft.
Interest has been shown in fellow premiership players James Rowe, Jacob Wehr and Lachie McNeil, who all played vital roles in defeating South Adelaide and North Adelaide in the major round.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Brett » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:50 pm

Said its been untapped area for years and not many clubs have had success in enticing players from there.

I think Jade would have been quoted correctly when he said " several loyal " fans . lol

I am sure clubs will be loving the fact a couple of the older players are going around again.

Lot of talk about Rowe and may get drafted and then lost in the AFL system.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby wedgetail » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:28 pm

Brett wrote:Said its been untapped area for years and not many clubs have had success in enticing players from there.

I think Jade would have been quoted correctly when he said " several loyal " fans . lol

I am sure clubs will be loving the fact a couple of the older players are going around again.

You'd make a good washing machine!
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Jackal1 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:40 pm

Attended the Eagles Club Champion event on Friday night at Adelaide Oval. It was a superb evening with Joe Sinor winning the award very closely followed by Jordan Foote. Jordan was also won our ''player of the finals'' award and obviously polled maximum votes in our Grand Final victory over North Adelaide. Apparently the judging panel cast their votes during half time of the Grand Final as it was all over by then.
Jackal1
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby Brett » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:25 pm

wedgetail wrote:
Brett wrote:Said its been untapped area for years and not many clubs have had success in enticing players from there.

Tell me more.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby goddy11 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:20 pm

Oh the memories
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-11-05 131144.jpg
Screenshot 2020-11-05 131144.jpg (16.27 KiB) Viewed 2357 times
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Eagles Nest » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:46 pm

I see that Jarred Allmond won North's Most Consistent Award for 2020.
He must have polled well in the minor round as he certainly went missing in the Grand Final.
Goldy says hello by the way
Eagles Nest
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:43 pm

Eagles Nest wrote:I see that Jarred Allmond won North's Most Consistent Award for 2020.
He must have polled well in the minor round as he certainly went missing in the Grand Final.

I really don't think Jarred will mind, he left and won a Premiership couple of years ago and is getting a hell of a lot more money than he was at Eagles, laughing all the way to the bank!!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby whybother » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:13 pm

I hope that he didn't get any money this year, like every other footballer in the League (supposedly)
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:02 pm

goddy11 wrote:Oh the memories

Memory will stay with me forever great win a great second quarter to shove it right up them to misquote Teddy Whitten
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:05 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Eagles Nest wrote:I see that Jarred Allmond won North's Most Consistent Award for 2020.

I really don't think Jarred will mind, he left and won a Premiership couple of years ago and is getting a hell of a lot more money than he was at Eagles, laughing all the way to the bank!!

Actually who cares anymore he left he won a flag playing for north and some of his ex team mates returned the favour

And as a side note watching some of the games this year on the pass eagles have a great deal of ex players playing all over the SANFL some of the media on the pass would high light that a lot
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby wedgetail » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:27 pm

Brett wrote:
wedgetail wrote:

Tell me more.

You're an agitator.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Mic » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:05 pm

I bet you’re one of those Crows supporters who still boo Dangerfield when he plays in Adelaide.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby MJP1993 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:54 pm

Mic wrote:

I bet you’re one of those Crows supporters who still boo Dangerfield when he plays in Adelaide.

Typical North fan deflecting their team lost the grand final against the Eagles lmao
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby Mic » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:27 pm

MJP1993 wrote:
Mic wrote:

Typical North fan deflecting their team lost the grand final against the Eagles lmao

No, I commented on a post about North’s player awards that was in an Eagles 2020 Premiers thread.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL