Stanley Cricket Association

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Stanley Cricket Association

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:00 pm

Hazbeen wrote:
whufc wrote:
BPlumber wrote:Any news on the Stanley Association? Ins or Outs? Tips for the year?

I know Blyth Kybunga have fixed some batting deficiencies from last year securing opener will Pratt for the year and powerful Luke Ramsey signing on.
Enigma and quick bowler Jimmy Hunter has also committed.
Young allround sensation Riley Stirling is off to Woodville U16 but it’s understood he will qualify and be around for the crunch time.

Sevenhill have lost a few. From what I understand Redden, Edmonsen and Daley wont be playing this year for a variety of different reasons. Sevenhill have a bunch of talented young lads coming through he will get some strong opportunities.

Good to see Riley having a crack, very talented, his timing is on another level.

Would expect Blyth to be right around the mark along with Balak who are always there. That will be the top 2 for mine. The rest of the comp will be a real raffle.

Brinky could be anything....will they see more of Issac Moller who I personally I rate as the best allrounder in the comp (one of the best I have ever seen). Absolute gun.

Like most years Clare best will be sensational but they will also drop some games they shouldn't.

2 of Brinky's best young players, Jep Draper and Jack Weckert, playing for Redhill. Anyone know why?

Very surprised with Jack playing there, his going to be an absolute gun, not sure Ive seen many better 16 year olds with the bat.

Jep dropped down the pecking order a bit last year after having a brilliant 18-19 which saw him win the player of the year award. By the end of last season he was bowling first change and even fifth on the odd occasion. He did bat up the order though.

That's not good for Brinky, they were already struggling somewhat at times last year so to lose two young lads that played nearly every game is going to hurt them.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:13 am

Interesting seeing the teams being selected on MyCricket

Clare struggling for players again by the looks which isn’t good

Lower North with a strong line up again, Jones is back. If they can get him and Froggy together that is lethal. Ex NZ shield level opening bowler and B Grade district opening bowler will cause all teams 18 overs of pain

Sevenhill look competitive again, great to see Moulder back, really good committed all rounder and even better bloke. A couple of talented young lads getting a run as well.

As previously mentioned Blyth looking really strong especially with Will Pratt. If he plays every game he will finish top 3 in the runs.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:34 am

A couple of big upsets.

A Steddall inspired Clare knocked off last years reigining premiers Lower North. I will stand by Steddall as being the best batsmen ive ever seen live, the bloke blocks the ball and it hurts your hands when you field it at mid off. Seymon also in the runs. Hopefully Clare can now get a more regular 11 and they will be a big challenger.

Brinky in another upset easily accounting for Blyth. The rumours weren't true and Jeopard and Jack Weckert played for Brinky. They also had the benefit of the two Moller boys Isaac and Jackson. If Isaac plays all year even just as a batsmen like it appeared they are going to be a very handy team. Blyth will be disappointed with the start having recruited well in the off season.

Sevenhill won as expected but a lot easier than many would have predicted. No scores in my cricket so not sure who performed but at a guess Sevenhills runs would have came from Scheepers, Dopson and Kuerschner.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:02 am

Should be a cracker game between Brinky and Lower North this week. Now we have seen what teams will look like this is a GF preview for mine. I noticed Froggy is back bowling regularly despite early talk suggesting he wouldn't be. If they can get Froggy and Jones in partnership that will make the $1.01 flag favs.

Blyth have a must win against Auburn, I think early indicators is Blyth, Clare & Sevenhill will fight it out for the remaining 2 finals spots so loses against Auburn will hurt.
whufc
Coach

Postby Hazbeen » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:18 pm

whufc wrote:Should be a cracker game between Brinky and Lower North this week. Now we have seen what teams will look like this is a GF preview for mine. I noticed Froggy is back bowling regularly despite early talk suggesting he wouldn't be. If they can get Froggy and Jones in partnership that will make the $1.01 flag favs.

Blyth have a must win against Auburn, I think early indicators is Blyth, Clare & Sevenhill will fight it out for the remaining 2 finals spots so loses against Auburn will hurt.

Chris "Foggy" Marshall bowled off 3 steps Saturday, ankle issues. Jones out with old age issues.
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:47 pm

Hazbeen wrote:
whufc wrote:Should be a cracker game between Brinky and Lower North this week. Now we have seen what teams will look like this is a GF preview for mine. I noticed Froggy is back bowling regularly despite early talk suggesting he wouldn't be. If they can get Froggy and Jones in partnership that will make the $1.01 flag favs.

Chris "Foggy" Marshall bowled off 3 steps Saturday, ankle issues. Jones out with old age issues.

Dam auto text!

Even off 3 steps in the best 5 bowlers in the comp.

Love the few battles I had with him. Highly competitive and a good bloke off the field, it’s always fun challenging yourself against blokes a level above the Comp.

Lower north shoes in if they get both of them in come finals
whufc
Coach

Postby BPlumber » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:06 pm

1 game play out of 3 on the weekend due to forfeits. I know the Blyth lads arnt happy at all.
Blyth haven’t had a forfeit against them ever whereas lower north would have 2-3 a year which shows that numbers arnt the issue.
IMO it’s a disgrace to field a senior cricket team and forfeit during the year.
There need to be a rule change and the forfeiting team needs to be deducted 2 points or 1 point and %.
BPlumber
Mini-League

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:27 pm

BPlumber wrote:1 game play out of 3 on the weekend due to forfeits. I know the Blyth lads arnt happy at all.
Blyth haven’t had a forfeit against them ever whereas lower north would have 2-3 a year which shows that numbers arnt the issue.
There need to be a rule change and the forfeiting team needs to be deducted 2 points or 1 point and %.

Does the league fine teams?
whufc
Coach

Postby BPlumber » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:12 pm

whufc wrote:
BPlumber wrote:1 game play out of 3 on the weekend due to forfeits. I know the Blyth lads arnt happy at all.

Nope. Nothing
BPlumber
Mini-League

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:07 pm

BPlumber wrote:
whufc wrote:

Nope. Nothing

Yeah a small fine and minus points. Only need to bring the rule in for A grade understanding occasionally b grades do genuinely struggle. The season is already short enough as it is with not too many games, heated out games you don’t need a couple of forfeit either.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:43 am

Whoever selected the association side for next Sunday did a great job, not sure they have really missed out anyone and if they did it would be nit picking.

J.Zweck
B.Pratt
K.Steele
S.Steddall
A.Falconer
T.McPharlin
R.McPharlin
J.McPharlin
M.Dopson
S.Keurschner
R.Chapman
whufc
Coach

Postby BPlumber » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:38 am

Probably the most solid team for a decade.
Riley Stirling maybe a little stiff to miss out.
BPlumber
Mini-League

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 am

BPlumber wrote:Probably the most solid team for a decade.
Riley Stirling maybe a little stiff to miss out.

Yeah agree, Riley is stuff but that is a pretty class batting line up with McPharlin x 3, Stedall, Dopson, Steele making up the top 6 you would think. Having blokes like Kuerschner, Pratt, Chapman potentially batting around 7,8,9 is huge depth.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:29 pm

Really good day out at Sevenhill yesterday. Obviously NACA got the win but admittedly probably got fortunate bowling first in one of those tosses that was best to lose.

Interesting to hear a few of the Stanley boys somewhat disheartened about the competition at the moment, in particular the lack of cricket that gets played. Acknowledging some was forced due to covid but even a full schedule only means 12 days of cricket in the entire. The blokes I spoke to felt this was a massive deterrent to finding players as the season never really feels like it gets going. Sevenhill A Grade in particular have played one game of cricket since December 12.

Not sure the answer but I must admit after playing PDCA which plays roughly 20 days of cricket it was hard to be motivated by a 12 games season, given you know 1 or 2 will be missed because of rain/heat, most players miss one due to personal reasons.

For comparison purposes.

Stanley 31 Oct - 27 March (12 games plus 3 weeks of finals)
NACA 31 Oct - 13 March (14 games plus 3 weeks of finals)

Stanley is currently an extra 2 weeks longer to fit in 2 games less of cricket.
whufc
Coach

Postby Angler » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:25 pm

whufc wrote:Really good day out at Sevenhill yesterday. Obviously NACA got the win but admittedly probably got fortunate bowling first in one of those tosses that was best to lose.

Interesting to hear a few of the Stanley boys somewhat disheartened about the competition at the moment, in particular the lack of cricket that gets played. Acknowledging some was forced due to covid but even a full schedule only means 12 days of cricket in the entire. The blokes I spoke to felt this was a massive deterrent to finding players as the season never really feels like it gets going. Sevenhill A Grade in particular have played one game of cricket since December 12.

Not sure the answer but I must admit after playing PDCA which plays roughly 20 days of cricket it was hard to be motivated by a 12 games season, given you know 1 or 2 will be missed because of rain/heat, most players miss one due to personal reasons.

For comparison purposes.

The bye doesn’t help the Stanley A Grade fixture. But I reckon the NACA have got it right- 14 games, 40 overs per side is perfect IMO.
Angler

Been liked: 13 times

Postby whufc » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:41 pm

Angler wrote:
whufc wrote:Really good day out at Sevenhill yesterday. Obviously NACA got the win but admittedly probably got fortunate bowling first in one of those tosses that was best to lose.

For comparison purposes.

The bye doesn’t help the Stanley A Grade fixture. But I reckon the NACA have got it right- 14 games, 40 overs per side is perfect IMO.

The 14 games is spot on, think Stanley might need to look at adding a few extra games, maybe you play teams close to you on the previous seasons ladder an extra time a bit like the AFL, I remember one year that we did well I only batted 5 times for the year.

From a playing point of view I prefer the 45 overs but got to admit the extra time 40 frees up has been appreciated by me this year. Always finished before 6 back in Spalding for 7 and dinner with the fam at a reasonable hour. At times the 45 meant we weren’t finishing to 630ish.

I think Zwecky is president of Stanley at the moment, real tough gig for him but I think he can do a great job, his heart is definitely in it and I think he really wants to see the comp grow.

Tough call and maybe unpopular opinion, do they move Auburn/Mintaro into the b grade comp, make it 6 teams, 15 games play each team 3 times with no bye. That would make for a longer a grade comp whilst also strengthing the struggling b grade comp.
whufc
Coach

Postby BPlumber » Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:18 pm

whufc wrote:
Angler wrote:

For comparison purposes.

The 14 games is spot on, think Stanley might need to look at adding a few extra games, maybe you play teams close to you on the previous seasons ladder an extra time a bit like the AFL, I remember one year that we did well I only batted 5 times for the year.

From a playing point of view I prefer the 45 overs but got to admit the extra time 40 frees up has been appreciated by me this year. Always finished before 6 back in Spalding for 7 and dinner with the fam at a reasonable hour. At times the 45 meant we weren’t finishing to 630ish.

I think Zwecky is president of Stanley at the moment, real tough gig for him but I think he can do a great job, his heart is definitely in it and I think he really wants to see the comp grow.

Tough call and maybe unpopular opinion, do they move Auburn/Mintaro into the b grade comp, make it 6 teams, 15 games play each team 3 times with no bye. That would make for a longer a grade comp whilst also strengthing the struggling b grade comp.

I like the AM call to make it six teams. If AM want to continue, surely the league must look at trying to entice a team or teams from rocky river down to make it a 8 team comp. redhill, Crystal brook and Georgetown would be the logical choices.
BPlumber
Mini-League

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:49 pm

Having a real quick glimpse AM have won 3 games in 3 years so surely they would have some interest in developing some of their younger kids in the b grade comp.

I don’t think it would hurt the b grade comp as I imagine all 4 teams would be competitive with them based on what I’ve seen. You would also think having a bye in the b grade would be appreciated more than in the A Grade which is still primarily full of ‘serious’ cricketers.

Maybe give AM a five year plan to move back into the A grade comp in which time you hope to bring another team into the league. Not sure who that would be but maybe as suggested it’s a Georgetown, Redhill maybe even Burra, my experience Spalding won’t go.

The other key is Clare, if you get AM in the b grade and can some how get Clare to pull their finger out and develop a b grade you could get back to 6 teams in both B and A grade.

The other ‘swing’ team is Brinky who are hanging on by a thread, luckily having a few old boys staying on but how long can that last.

I think it’s inevitable in ten years that Stanley and Rocky will need to merge, maybe both leagues need to be proactive and really progress that to ensure all current teams stay alive.

Maybe you go something like the Mid North Super League. Top 4 from Stanley and top 2 from Rocky form the 6 team div 1 comp and then the remaining 6 teams form the div 2 comp. Promotion/ Relegation each year with the winners from div 2 promoted, bottom in div 1 relegated to div 2. My experience is that promotion relegation is great for teams coming bottomish to still have something to play for and helps keep numbers available, compared to when your season is done and dusted after round 3 and your zip an three.
whufc
Coach

Postby Angler » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:32 pm

whufc wrote:Having a real quick glimpse AM have won 3 games in 3 years so surely they would have some interest in developing some of their younger kids in the b grade comp.

I don’t think it would hurt the b grade comp as I imagine all 4 teams would be competitive with them based on what I’ve seen. You would also think having a bye in the b grade would be appreciated more than in the A Grade which is still primarily full of ‘serious’ cricketers.

Maybe give AM a five year plan to move back into the A grade comp in which time you hope to bring another team into the league. Not sure who that would be but maybe as suggested it’s a Georgetown, Redhill maybe even Burra, my experience Spalding won’t go.

The other key is Clare, if you get AM in the b grade and can some how get Clare to pull their finger out and develop a b grade you could get back to 6 teams in both B and A grade.

The other ‘swing’ team is Brinky who are hanging on by a thread, luckily having a few old boys staying on but how long can that last.

I think it’s inevitable in ten years that Stanley and Rocky will need to merge, maybe both leagues need to be proactive and really progress that to ensure all current teams stay alive.

Maybe you go something like the Mid North Super League. Top 4 from Stanley and top 2 from Rocky form the 6 team div 1 comp and then the remaining 6 teams form the div 2 comp. Promotion/ Relegation each year with the winners from div 2 promoted, bottom in div 1 relegated to div 2. My experience is that promotion relegation is great for teams coming bottomish to still have something to play for and helps keep numbers available, compared to when your season is done and dusted after round 3 and your zip an three.

The Bullants to the B Grade would be the most logical thing to do, but it’s up to the individual club to drop down unless the league decides to put their foot down. It’s a credit to the likes of Blyth, Watervale and Sevenhill for being proactive and having 2 senior teams and 2+ junior teams. Also Brinkworth do well to have the amount of juniors they do considering their small population base. You’d think Clare would be able to scrape together a B Grade- half old boys and half full of colts (they do have two U16’s teams).

Combining with Rocky River is an interesting one. Yes it would suit the likes of Brinkworth, Blyth and Clare. But what about Lower North, AM and Watervale. You’d be in danger of losing Lower North to either the Barossa or Northern Yorke Peninsula league if the merger was to happen. Maybe a Northern and Southern division with the top 2 from each progressing to a finals series.
Angler

Been liked: 13 times

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:43 pm

Angler wrote:
whufc wrote:Having a real quick glimpse AM have won 3 games in 3 years so surely they would have some interest in developing some of their younger kids in the b grade comp.

The Bullants to the B Grade would be the most logical thing to do, but it’s up to the individual club to drop down unless the league decides to put their foot down. It’s a credit to the likes of Blyth, Watervale and Sevenhill for being proactive and having 2 senior teams and 2+ junior teams. Also Brinkworth do well to have the amount of juniors they do considering their small population base. You’d think Clare would be able to scrape together a B Grade- half old boys and half full of colts (they do have two U16’s teams).

Combining with Rocky River is an interesting one. Yes it would suit the likes of Brinkworth, Blyth and Clare. But what about Lower North, AM and Watervale. You’d be in danger of losing Lower North to either the Barossa or Northern Yorke Peninsula league if the merger was to happen. Maybe a Northern and Southern division with the top 2 from each progressing to a finals series.

Yeah good point about Lower North

Personally I think they are somewhat an ‘at risk’ team. Arguably the most competitive and well set up club to advance they would have to be somewhat disheartened with the current comp. Surely they are watching the Long Plains, Mallalla situation closely and having their own discussions.

Long Plains leave and the comp is stuffed, takes you to a 6 team a grade and no b grade comp.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps