Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:48 am

The Bartley Hotel

Late call at around 6:30 Saturday night to go out for a feed, off we head.

We went to the new Mosaic to give that a go, no good, booked out. Called the Woodville, booked out. Called the Admiral, yep. Said to Mrs and Miss, "The Bartley?". Sure. "Hey Google, call the Bartley Tavern"

Yeah, can we get in for 3 people?

LOL, yeah, that won't be a problem.

Should have been alarm bells.

Roll into the car park around 6:50, it's empty. Bar some around the back for the sports bar / pokies, the place is dead. Go into the bistro, of the 100 odd chairs in there 4 have arses on them. Should have been alarm bells.

Miss went the beef burger, stodgy, gristley, might have been made with the burger binding powder stuff. She ate 20% of the burger itself, most of the bun and salad.

Mrs went the "half" beef schnitzel, dry inside, oily outside, chips under the schnitty, salad looked like it was yesterdays. Ate probably half of it.

I went the "full" slow roasted pork, it was roast pork, but not as you know it, I got two lumps of meat about the size of your fist, not sliced neatly, just two big chunks. Roast spuds, over done, roast carrot, under done, bowl of salad ( WTF? ) covered in vinaigrette that was 80% vinegar and 20% grette. Couldn't be eaten.

Service - 4/10, young chick would have killed to be anywhere else.
Food - 1/10, it was shit.
Over all rating - Don't go there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:57 am

What was it about Saturday night and this area? We were booked out at the Halfway too, was run off my bloody feet!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby heater31 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:02 am

Should have tried your luck at Pirate Life....guest food trucks were back and first up was a Low and Slow BBQ.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:12 am

heater31 wrote:Should have tried your luck at Pirate Life....guest food trucks were back and first up was a Low and Slow BBQ.

DOOF DOOF DOOF

Sorry mate, what was that?

DOOF DOOF DOOF

Rude bucks?

DOOF DOOF DOOF
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby JK » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:15 am

Booney wrote:The Bartley Hotel

Late call at around 6:30 Saturday night to go out for a feed, off we head.

We went to the new Mosaic to give that a go, no good, booked out. Called the Woodville, booked out. Called the Admiral, yep. Said to Mrs and Miss, "The Bartley?". Sure. "Hey Google, call the Bartley Tavern"

Yeah, can we get in for 3 people?

LOL, yeah, that won't be a problem.

Should have been alarm bells.

Roll into the car park around 6:50, it's empty. Bar some around the back for the sports bar / pokies, the place is dead. Go into the bistro, of the 100 odd chairs in there 4 have arses on them. Should have been alarm bells.

Miss went the beef burger, stodgy, gristley, might have been made with the burger binding powder stuff. She ate 20% of the burger itself, most of the bun and salad.

Mrs went the "half" beef schnitzel, dry inside, oily outside, chips under the schnitty, salad looked like it was yesterdays. Ate probably half of it.

I went the "full" slow roasted pork, it was roast pork, but not as you know it, I got two lumps of meat about the size of your fist, not sliced neatly, just two big chunks. Roast spuds, over done, roast carrot, under done, bowl of salad ( WTF? ) covered in vinaigrette that was 80% vinegar and 20% grette. Couldn't be eaten.

Service - 4/10, young chick would have killed to be anywhere else.
Food - 1/10, it was shit.
Over all rating - Don't go there.

We ate there (group of about 16) around a month ago, and I wasn't expecting much based on reports I'd heard from friends, but the food was exceptional. Every single member of the group was stoked with what they had.

Maybe different chefs??
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Dutchy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:20 am

Went to the Brompton on Sat night for our annual tipsters dinner, never been there before, was OK pretty standard pub gub, only had a Chicken Parmi so not much to report.

Last night we ventured out to the Coopers Alehouse, as son currently gets 50% off at ALH hotels Ive been trying the differents steaks, had the 400g rib eye which was magnificent. BIL had the smoked mixed grill, it looked fantastic and he loved it, that will be mine next time. All in the party loved their meals.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby JK » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:25 am

Dutchy wrote:Went to the Brompton on Sat night for our annual tipsters dinner, never been there before, was OK pretty standard pub gub, only had a Chicken Parmi so not much to report.

Haven't been for a little while, but the Brompton is one of our favourites. Cant recall ever having anything other than an awesome feed there (restaurant though).
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:31 am

Forktree Brewery @ Carrickalinga

With the lads on a golf trip the weekend before last.
The food here is top quality & massive serves. All the burgers were huge & liked by all.
I went the Jerk* Chicken. Amazing flavours and I probably should’ve stopped halfway through!
Nice selection of refreshments on tap in a well set out restaurant. Staff were very friendly.
Highly recommend.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:06 am

I've seen Birkenhead Tavern get some good feedback on here in the past so thought I'd give it a shot yesterday for lunch.

I think they were expecting a very hot day as the aircon's we're chucking out a blizzard in the alfresco area, nevertheless, if that's all I have to complain about then all good.

We ordered the 350g Scotch Fillet with Diane sauce, chose over the top instead of in a small jug, wrong move, was expecting a salad with it but got some vegies that I usually wouldn't of cooked with it myself, the steak was perfect and for someone who isn't a real chip fan, their chips were really good.

Also got the seafood basket, a couple of decent sized prawns, 2 oysters, some calamari and a decent sized piece of whiting in a pretty light batter went down a treat.

They were the two most expensive items on their menu but not over the top at $35 & $33 respectively, they had plenty of other options that I'm keen to explore for future ventures as I watched other meals coming out, St. Kilda Hotel is next on the agenda though.
Last edited by Lightning McQueen on Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:12 am

If anyone is down south, there is a cracking dessert joint - Urban Desserts.

Absolutely brilliant.

Last weekend was our first visit there, after being given samples from our neighbour.
The mother-daughter in front commented that it was there 2nd straight week of coming down from Mitcham.

Its on Acre ave at Morphett vale.

We quickly called in yesterday arvo and got some goodies before they sold out around 2.30....after opening at 11...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11838 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby DOC » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:53 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I've seen Birkenhead Tavern get some good feedback on here in the past so thought I'd give it a shot yesterday for lunch.

I think they were expecting a very hot day as the aircon's we're chucking out a blizzard in the alfresco area, nevertheless, if that's all I have to complain about then all good.

We ordered the 350g Scotch Fillet with Diane sauce, chose over the top instead of in a small jug, wrong move, was expecting a salad with it but got some vegies that I usually wouldn't of cooked with it myself, the steak was perfect and for someone who isn't a real chip fan, their chips were really good.

Also got the seafood basket, a couple of decent sized prawns, 2 oysters, some calamari and a decent sized piece of whiting in a pretty light batter went down a treat.

They were the two most expensive items on their menu but not over the top at $35 & $33 respectively, they had plenty of other options that I'm keen to explore for future ventures as I watched other meals coming oput, St. Kilda Hotel is next on the agenda though.

Diane sauce on a date?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:57 am

DOC wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I've seen Birkenhead Tavern get some good feedback on here in the past so thought I'd give it a shot yesterday for lunch.

They were the two most expensive items on their menu but not over the top at $35 & $33 respectively, they had plenty of other options that I'm keen to explore for future ventures as I watched other meals coming oput, St. Kilda Hotel is next on the agenda though.

Diane sauce on a date?

Diane wasn't with us.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:46 am

Caught up with a coupla mates for lunch at the Coopers Alehouse (Earl of Aberdeen variety yesterday) and noticed they had a Gumbo on the Menu. Having never tried it before but always wanting to, it was a no-brainer to order. Gotta say it lived up to my expectations. Awesome hint of Chilli (could have been stronger I guess), good mix of Seafood, only downside was the Grilled bread provided with it was Sourdough (if I wanted Cake I would have ordered one). Other lads had a Snitz and Chicken Salad of some sort, I was too lost in my Gumbo to inquire about theirs lol. My meal at $33 probably higher end of pub pricing, but was definitely restaurant quality and well worth it. Chicks tending to us were excellent too.

Rating 8/10
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:57 am

Their waitressing skills?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Ash Man » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:57 am

8yo and myself are heading to Wallaroo tomorrow for the weekend

Any suggestions on a good place for lunch tomorrow, preferably waterfront.

Not necessarily in Wallaroo can be anywhere
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby JK » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:05 am

Brodlach wrote:Their waitressing skills?

Sorry mate didn't notice :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:23 am

Although both not on the water, Bond Store in Wallaroo and Bellagio in Kadina are good. Had plenty of meals at both.

The Coopers Alehouse is good food too
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby JK » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:49 am

I'll probably (rightly) get pilloried for this, but for anyone out there that buys the premade meals (YouFoodz and the like) you need to get onto My Muscle Chef. Meals are awesome, perfect portion size and tasty AF - Do yourself a flavour and give them a go. You're welcome.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:01 am

JK wrote:I'll probably (rightly) get pilloried for this, but for anyone out there that buys the premade meals (YouFoodz and the like) you need to get onto My Muscle Chef. Meals are awesome, perfect portion size and tasty AF - Do yourself a flavour and give them a go. You're welcome.

Got a few deliveries of "Hello Fresh" and was most impressed, I still use the recipes but don't get the deliveries.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:06 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:I'll probably (rightly) get pilloried for this, but for anyone out there that buys the premade meals (YouFoodz and the like) you need to get onto My Muscle Chef. Meals are awesome, perfect portion size and tasty AF - Do yourself a flavour and give them a go. You're welcome.

Got a few deliveries of "Hello Fresh" and was most impressed, I still use the recipes but don't get the deliveries.

Yeah we've done that a bit, they have some great meals
FUSC
JK
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion