2021 Player movements

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2021 Player movements

Postby beef » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:08 am

gazzamagoo wrote:Apparently Dallas Hill back to Centrals.

And young gun Falkenberg moving to Sydney with work for 2 years.

Any truth to T Menzel back to Tea Tree Gully?
D Menzel not happy with change of coach and him losing his dual coaching/playing role
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:15 am

whybother wrote:So the old, old question: where were you when Kennedy was killed? :

To be fair (and to keep this gag running ;) ), I think whybother's question is: can you remember where you were when you heard the news?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby DOC » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:31 am

I know exactly were I was.

I was up writing a letter whilst dreaming of a rise up the ladder as we had just finished bottom. In the letter to the club I recommended that Darley needed to be the number one ruck and to play Kantilla a little more forward, recruit Ian Day and swap the wingers over so Pascoe could use his left foot to advantage, and that Neil Kerley would be the ideal coach. Snowy Taylor the then secretary said well you are a good judge, we will do that.

And that's how South won the 64 premiership.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby northerner » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:00 pm

beef wrote:

D Menzel not happy with change of coach and him losing his dual coaching/playing role

Menz only inherited the coaching role from Butch after his injury (which saw Butch coaxed into playing).

Having said that, it was clear at Presentation that Troy enjoyed the coach more than others.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 436 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:05 pm

Really sad that Ryan is moving, but properly paid work has to come first. Hopefully he will come back to us in two years.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:08 pm

RB wrote:I'd imagine most on here who were alive then were in bed given it happened at 4 in the morning Adelaide time.

Come on, now, RB, it was a Friday night (early Saturday morning). Surely, a 57 year younger RB was the party-animal, still cruising at 4am! ;)
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:18 pm

whybother wrote:So the old, old question: where were you when Kennedy was killed? :

In the birthing unit at the Lyell Mac!
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1660 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:20 pm

beef wrote:

not from what I've heard so far, granted he seemed to like the old coach but that shouldn't prevent him from playing for us & with his brother.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby RB » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:44 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
RB wrote:I'd imagine most on here who were alive then were in bed given it happened at 4 in the morning Adelaide time.

Come on, now, RB, it was a Friday night (early Saturday morning). Surely, a 57 year younger RB was the party-animal, still cruising at 4am! ;)
I was going to mention that Psyber was probably saving the world from one of Blofeld's schemes, although in all likelihood he was probably cavorting with Ursula Andress or Honor Blackman.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:48 pm

Former player Andrew Brockhurst announced as Senior Womens coach at South, outstanding appointment.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3497 times

Postby Thiele » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:50 pm

The West Adelaide Football Club is excited to announce our third major signing for 2021 in Mitch Maguire.

The 22 year old midfielder comes to us from the Canberra Demons in the NEAFL and has signed a two year deal with the club.

Over 2018 and 2019 the midfielder averaged 29 possessions a game as well as 4 marks and 4 tackles.

As COVID caused the NEAFL competition to be shut down in 2020, Mitch played for the Belconnen Magpies in the AFL Canberra competition.

Mitch grew up in regional NSW in a small village called Mirrool. He played all his junior football with the Northern Jets whilst also playing with the Giants Academy and NSW/ACT Rams.

Football manager Wayne Siekman said, ‘The club is thrilled to be able to get the signature of Mitch as he is a player we rate highly, he will certainly bolster our midfield ranks and his ability to go forward and hit the scoreboard will also be great value to us’.

‘He also brings outstanding leadership to the club, being the Vice Captain of a NEAFL side shows you the qualities he has on and off the field. He has been a player that clearly helped raise Canberra from a bottom half side to a Preliminary Final team in 2019’

‘Finally, Mitch wanted to sign for 2 years, as he truly believes the club is heading in the right direction and wants to ensure he is a part of the club’s next success and this is a great show of faith to not just the club but to the players, staff, members and supporters’

When asked how he would describe his style of play, Mitch said he is “a competitive and disciplined midfielder who has an equal balance of winning contested and uncontested footy.”

Mitch spoke about wanting to play some consistent football throughout the course of the year but also to have some team success.

“It would be great if we can be on the verge of making finals. Once you are in finals anything can happen.”

“When moving to Canberra I really enjoyed the challenge of helping to turn a lower rated side into one that is competitive towards the end of the year.”

“This is what excites me about West Adelaide. They have recruited well in the off season and I can see a bright future with the list they have.”

“Obviously it takes time for clubs to turn things around so I wanted to commit for 2 years to be a part of the exciting journey.”

The prospect of having Brad Gotch as coach was important to signing with the club.

“I am very keen to work with Gotchy. He has a very impressive CV and has a lot of coaching and playing experience.”

“After chatting to him it is obvious that he has a very positive mindset and truly believes that he can help in bringing Westies some success.”

When asked if he has a message for our members and supporters this year Mitch said, “Get behind us this year. There are a lot of fresh faces around the club and I am very confident that we will be having some success in 2021. More supporters at games always gives the players a big advantage so get to as many games as possible, we’re in for a big year!”

Mitch won the NEAFL Rising Star Award in 2018 as well as Canberra’s best-and-fairest, was included in the NEAFL Team of the Year honours as well as finishing in the top five of the NEAFL MVP Award voting. He received interest from the Sydney Swans, being asked to train with the club before the 2018 draft.

We welcome Mitch and his partner Claire to the West Adelaide Football Club.
James Ezard Joint 2009 Magarey Medalist

Personal views only not views of the West Adelaide Footy Club or Bedford Indstries
Thiele
Coach

Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 80 times

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:50 pm

beef wrote:

Have heard there is some serious truth in this.

Yes he enjoyed the old coach but more than that apparently he loved the coaching aspect and sees this as an eventual career path. Disappointed to not be in a coaching role and has had a 'chat' with TTG.

Nothing finalised yet though.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Groucho » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:03 pm

Gotta love this time of year. Great to hear of all the players who don't want to play for Centrals anymore. Worst thing is if it is on here 99% of the time it is true.

Grrrrrr! Really not looking forward to next season.

Return of Crows and Power Reserves and no players left at Centrals. :twisted:
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:40 pm

Groucho wrote:Gotta love this time of year. Great to hear of all the players who don't want to play for Centrals anymore. Worst thing is if it is on here 99% of the time it is true.

Cheer up, Groucho, we just recruited the Wendland triplets today. :)
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby southernbulldog » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:40 pm

Looks like Thommo has a bit of work to do to convince the Menzels to stay
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Brett » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:39 pm

blueandwhite wrote:Bit sad about Knoll going to Norwood, but at this stage anyway he'd be No.2 at South behind Hunter.
hes a great lad too and wish him all the best, but hope he is as handy at Norwood as the other South lads who have gone there in recent years, Irra, Szust and Jack kennedy- Hunt. :D

Why not have 2 good ruckman ? That would be a great advantage for a club I would think. Probably says more about the Individual I think.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby Pseudo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:16 am

Aaron Joseph back at the Bay.

Carl Nicholson out.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby gazzamagoo » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:59 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Groucho wrote:Gotta love this time of year. Great to hear of all the players who don't want to play for Centrals anymore. Worst thing is if it is on here 99% of the time it is true.

Cheer up, Groucho, we just recruited the Wendland triplets today. :)

the what?
Also, one of the Neagles has returned.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Postby Brett » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:45 pm

Bryce Gibbs not finished at SANFL level ? Heard he was going to Amateurs but a few clubs may have spoken to him.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

Postby Brett » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:48 pm

southernbulldog wrote:Looks like Thommo has a bit of work to do to convince the Menzels to stay

The Thompson appointment smells like a club trying to attract a great back and with little credentials. That rarely works and Centrals are in no position to be going backwards.
Brett
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL