Port Adelaide 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2021

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:34 pm

So much for the rumours....

PORT ADELAIDE vice-captain Ollie Wines has strengthened his commitment to the club by agreeing to terms on a four-year contract extension.

Already contracted until the end of the 2022 season, the 26-year-old’s new deal will see him remain with Port Adelaide until the end of 2026.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Booney wrote:So much for the rumours....

PORT ADELAIDE vice-captain Ollie Wines has strengthened his commitment to the club by agreeing to terms on a four-year contract extension.

Already contracted until the end of the 2022 season, the 26-year-old’s new deal will see him remain with Port Adelaide until the end of 2026.

Is this a good thing or bad thing?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:37 pm

MW wrote:

I'm not a huge fan of deals that long but his form this year was top shelf.

I guess the trade talk will stop for what, 2, 3 weeks?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:40 pm

Essendon to enquire about his availability in trade week 2021.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby JK » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:42 pm

MW wrote:

Good thing imho. Very good player when fit, Boak and Rockliff getting near the end means they'll need Ollie more than ever. Still tradeable if he and/or the club wantaway but this way the club gets more say over what they might receive in return. Smart move by Port imho.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:44 pm

JK wrote:
MW wrote:

Good thing imho. Very good player when fit, Boak and Rockliff getting near the end means they'll need Ollie more than ever. Still tradeable if he and/or the club wantaway but this way the club gets more say over what they might receive in return. Smart move by Port imho.

And you take a pay cut to get 4 year extensions, you don't have both so good budgeting for the next 3-5 years as the Rozee/Georgiades/Butters etc up the ante in their negotiations.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:31 pm

To be fair it was probably other clubs interest that has made them act so early
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby stan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:34 pm

Reckon this would be Rockliffs last year wouldn't it?

You guys would be happy if you tuck away Wines, get Allir and Fantasia in as well as Jones.

Would mean you have added 3 X firsts from 2018 - which seems to be working out ok.

3 X firsts from 2019, only seem the Georgiadis so far.

Then Jones this year who is tipped To go top 10.

So that's 7 in the last 3 years + Mead.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:18 pm

stan wrote:Reckon this would be Rockliffs last year wouldn't it?

You guys would be happy if you tuck away Wines, get Allir and Fantasia in as well as Jones.

Would mean you have added 3 X firsts from 2018 - which seems to be working out ok.

I love the way everyone shitcans Rockliff, Port's own included, I think he still has plenty to offer whereas most didn't think he'd get a guernsey in 2020.

He had 4 substandard games, we lost 2 of them, he averaged 23 disposals along with over 6 tackles per game, he may not be as nimble as he once was but he gets the ball, applies pressure and makes a contest. I'm more than happy to have someone with some balls running around out there and doesn't go missing for weeks on end.

If we lack anything while this window is still ajar it is another tall forward to take some pressure off of big Chuck, the poor prick never stood a chance half the time, especially in the prelim when he was a lone tall forward. Need to develop Ladhams for the role or someone alike, I'd even toy with the idea of getting Majak if we can get him cheap enough, if we don't fill that void this is going to be a wasted opportunity.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:23 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I love the way everyone shitcans Rockliff, Port's own included, I think he still has plenty to offer whereas most didn't think he'd get a guernsey in 2020.

He had 4 substandard games, we lost 2 of them, he averaged 23 disposals along with over 6 tackles per game, he may not be as nimble as he once was but he gets the ball, applies pressure and makes a contest. I'm more than happy to have someone with some balls running around out there and doesn't go missing for weeks on end.

If we lack anything while this window is still ajar it is another tall forward to take some pressure off of big Chuck, the poor prick never stood a chance half the time, especially in the prelim when he was a lone tall forward. Need to develop Ladhams for the role or someone alike, I'd even toy with the idea of getting Majak if we can get him cheap enough, if we don't fill that void this is going to be a wasted opportunity.

Disagree, I think Georgiades (191cm) will take Ebert's place (189cm) and his aerial ability, or at least desire to throw himself at aerial contests, out shines that of Ebert who whilst capable in the air isn't/wasn't the high flyer Georgiades appears to be.

Keep in mind we went to Dixon a lot and it worked, he wasn't AA and us prelim final hosts for no reason, it's only a small margin that could see us go one step further, we don't need to make wholesale changes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:30 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Disagree, I think Georgiades (191cm) will take Ebert's place (189cm) and his aerial ability, or at least desire to throw himself at aerial contests, out shines that of Ebert who whilst capable in the air isn't/wasn't the high flyer Georgiades appears to be.

Keep in mind we went to Dixon a lot and it worked, he wasn't AA and us prelim final hosts for no reason, it's only a small margin that could see us go one step further, we don't need to make wholesale changes.

Ebert's spot is not the one that I'm concerned about.

I knew you wouldn't agree with me as you see more in Marshall than I do, his inclusion cost us in the prelim IMO. the only time Big Chuck looked dangerous was outside the arc and Richmond were fine with that as no one else was going to take a clunk in the F50 if he wasn't there.

Marshall averaged 6 disposals for the last 7 games, if his inclusion was for a negative role then I'd be questioning the thought process, or the fact he is picked as a lucky charm. He had the chance the shine, he should've kicked the first goal and then his confidence would've been booming, as would the team's, he wasn't in our best 22 and you can't take passengers in a knockout final against the for team of the past 4 years.

Just my 2 bobs worth.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Trader » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:33 pm

Agree LM, Marshall struggled.
He isn't soft, but he gets pushed off the contest too easily. Needs to bulk up a bit more and continue to develop learning the craft of body position, etc.

He might get there, but he isn't there yet.

Interesting that Georgiadies is only 191cm, thought he was bigger.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:57 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Ebert's spot is not the one that I'm concerned about.

I knew you wouldn't agree with me as you see more in Marshall than I do, his inclusion cost us in the prelim IMO. the only time Big Chuck looked dangerous was outside the arc and Richmond were fine with that as no one else was going to take a clunk in the F50 if he wasn't there.

Marshall averaged 6 disposals for the last 7 games, if his inclusion was for a negative role then I'd be questioning the thought process, or the fact he is picked as a lucky charm. He had the chance the shine, he should've kicked the first goal and then his confidence would've been booming, as would the team's, he wasn't in our best 22 and you can't take passengers in a knockout final against the for team of the past 4 years.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

I don't see us playing Marshall and Georgiades in the same side and with the likely hood of Fantasia coming in I can see Dixon, Ladhams and Georgiades being the aerial targets and Gray/Rozee/Butters/Fantasia being the smalls.

2 talls, one mid ( lets call it the Ebert role ), 4 smalls.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:45 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Wasn't having a go, just thought time might be catching up with him.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dutchy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:21 pm

Believe Port had Wines heavily back ended, so extending now smooths their cap somewhat, esp if they need to give longer deals to the younger boys soon.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:29 am

stan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Wasn't having a go, just thought time might be catching up with him.

Yeah, my word selection wasn't the greatest, people on here dish him every year and I don't understand why.

His first season here I don't think he was used correctly at the beginning of the season and it reflected on his output, he's rarely played a crap game since.

On the same token, I'd manage him a bit more, especially if we're going to have the clumps of games mid-season again, he gets a bit battle-weary and needs a week off here and there, I don't mind him rotating up forward either, he knows where the goals are and he'd be good at keeping it in the area.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:10 am

Dutchy wrote:Believe Port had Wines heavily back ended, so extending now smooths their cap somewhat, esp if they need to give longer deals to the younger boys soon.

Smart play. Spreads the salary cap load and we can now ignore any trade talk for good, he's been here since late 2012, so he's lived in Adelaide now for 8 years and with 6 years signed ahead of him he's clearly a Port Adelaide player for life.

A real sign of stability at the club that he doesn't see his future anywhere else.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:31 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Believe Port had Wines heavily back ended, so extending now smooths their cap somewhat, esp if they need to give longer deals to the younger boys soon.

Smart play. Spreads the salary cap load and we can now ignore any trade talk for good, he's been here since late 2012, so he's lived in Adelaide now for 8 years and with 6 years signed ahead of him he's clearly a Port Adelaide player for life.

A real sign of stability at the club that he doesn't see his future anywhere else.

The Treloar saga has shown anyone can get traded, no matter what your contract tenure says
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:36 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

The Treloar saga has shown anyone can get traded, no matter what your contract tenure says

For sure, but Treloar had already whored himself around and Collingwood have completely mismanaged their salary cap, what Wines and Port have done is the exact opposite. Wines has remained committed and loyal while Port have put one eye to the future to manage the cap space appropriately.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mots02 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

For sure, but Treloar had already whored himself around and Collingwood have completely mismanaged their salary cap, what Wines and Port have done is the exact opposite. Wines has remained committed and loyal while Port have put one eye to the future to manage the cap space appropriately.

mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 853 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL