Coronavirus (Covid19)

Anything!

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:57 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Spargo wrote:
whufc wrote:Whilst we can nit pick at the government I think they have handled this pretty reasonable. It's clear when this cluster broke they were dealing with a combination of failed systems, mistruths from people involved and a lot of unknown information.

Fearful of a second wave and the potential lock down over Christmas they took the most drastic action which ultimately, rightly or wrong, justified or unjustified protected us and stopped a second wave whether it was coming or not.

They have admitted some flaws in the system and are looking to rectify which should only see the state become safer and take us another step closer to getting back to normality.

After 407 pages, this post is the most mature & sensible I’ve read on this thread.

Well there's whuffer f*****d for another 4 years.

Retired.....put the key board away.

I'm sure I can undo all my hard work in one single post....I will go visit the pdca forum shortly :D
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:01 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Whilst we can nit pick at the government I think they have handled this pretty reasonable. It's clear when this cluster broke they were dealing with a combination of failed systems, mistruths from people involved and a lot of unknown information.

Fearful of a second wave and the potential lock down over Christmas they took the most drastic action which ultimately, rightly or wrong, justified or unjustified protected us and stopped a second wave whether it was coming or not.

They have admitted some flaws in the system and are looking to rectify which should only see the state become safer and take us another step closer to getting back to normality.

Excellent post.

We need to be mindful in all of this there has never been anything like this confronted before, there's no play book, manual, how-to-deal-with-COVID-19 guide, they're doing their best and it has, by any standard, been as good as anyone in the world has done in managing this.

Whilst I don't want to see anything like this again it would be really intriguing to see how governments would handle this scenario in say 10 years time if it reoccurred.

I think the biggest 'success' if that's what you would call it is societys willingness to 'do the right thing' eg lockdown to stop the spread. I know we have all seen a few incidents here and there, we have all got that mate that goes on a frantic social media spree posting how its against our right but ultimately the majority will do the right thing.

One of the biggest learnings on the other hand is how dumb society can also be when it comes to hoarding stock/food/products. I would expect if this was to happen again the government would try and play a bigger role in that element of the pandemic.
whufc
Coach

Postby Trader » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:17 pm

Yup, agree entirely.

I obviously can't speak for the media and others in society, however my 'nit picking' comes from a position of trying to make sure we don't go into another lockdown.
We know there are going to be more and more returned travellers who are positive, that's the nature of the virus overseas being out of control.

I'm not interested in sh!tcanning the politicians and public officials, but I am very keen for them to find out exactly what has occurred and put processes in place to stop it in the future.

From an outsiders perspective, it appears SA Health did nothing to investigate the source of the virus getting out, and therefore couldn't put effective management strategies in place to prevent the next one from occurring.

However once it becomes a public relations issue all of a sudden we can find 36 detectives who crawl through 500 hours of footage looking for a pizza delivery driver in the hotel and now we are learning that patient 0 is a different person and the assumed method of virus transfer is different.

I would have loved this investigation to have occurred 10 days ago so we can get on top of preventing the next one, not relying on good fortune and a massive lockdown in the event we are not fortunate.

Once again, very happy for them to make mistakes, provided they act quickly to review themselves, and not just act quickly by shutting down the rest of the state.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:20 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Spargo wrote:

After 407 pages, this post is the most mature & sensible I’ve read on this thread.

Wow - 407 pages of garbage on a forum - :shock:

Well, I've tried my hardest to contribute to the garbage so I'll take it as a compliment as a job well done

As someone said, we should be allowed into the pressers so the entire country can enjoy the work of the good folk of safooty.net 8)
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:21 pm

Trader wrote:

Yup, agree entirely.

I obviously can't speak for the media and others in society, however my 'nit picking' comes from a position of trying to make sure we don't go into another lockdown.
We know there are going to be more and more returned travellers who are positive, that's the nature of the virus overseas being out of control.

I'm not interested in sh!tcanning the politicians and public officials, but I am very keen for them to find out exactly what has occurred and put processes in place to stop it in the future.

From an outsiders perspective, it appears SA Health did nothing to investigate the source of the virus getting out, and therefore couldn't put effective management strategies in place to prevent the next one from occurring.

However once it becomes a public relations issue all of a sudden we can find 36 detectives who crawl through 500 hours of footage looking for a pizza delivery driver in the hotel and now we are learning that patient 0 is a different person and the assumed method of virus transfer is different.

I would have loved this investigation to have occurred 10 days ago so we can get on top of preventing the next one, not relying on good fortune and a massive lockdown in the event we are not fortunate.

Once again, very happy for them to make mistakes, provided they act quickly to review themselves, and not just act quickly by shutting down the rest of the state.

Oh dear, being sensible is more contagious than the chinavirus
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:00 pm

yep thats a fair assessment, but they obviously took no learnings from the Victorian medi-hotel disaster, hard to forgive them for that.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Well, I've tried my hardest to contribute to the garbage so I'll take it as a compliment as a job well done

As someone said, we should be allowed into the pressers so the entire country can enjoy the work of the good folk of safooty.net 8)

Back slaps all round!!
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby stan » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:23 pm

Dutchy wrote:

yep thats a fair assessment, but they obviously took no learnings from the Victorian medi-hotel disaster, hard to forgive them for that.
This is my issues, we can back slap and so oh they did there best blah blah blah.

But at the end of the day they had the lessons learnt from the Victorian disaster and well didn't choose to implement them.

Then made the exact same mistake.

Now we should all go happily into the day, give Nicola her SA Person of the year award and congrats everying on a great job.

Whilst I can agree the actions to the outbreak were sound, my issue will always stem from the incompetence that lead to it.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:44 pm

I said early on SA Health were always an inch away from a major **** up in this

I hate being right sometimes
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:02 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:I said early on SA Health were always an inch away from a major **** up in this

Would it be called a major **** up.....2 day lockdown and 0 deaths.

If that's 'as bad' as gets in this state before a vaccine I reckon they get a A mark.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:20 pm

whufc wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:I said early on SA Health were always an inch away from a major **** up in this

If that's 'as bad' as gets in this state before a vaccine I reckon they get a A mark.

Haven't you changed your tune.. cop a cuppla likes on your post earlier and now you're all team SA Health. :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4003 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:20 pm

whufc wrote:

Exactly. No major **** up at all. Imagine if they did **** it up though lol. Geez there'd be some sooky little bitches on here (actually there already is). ;)
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Gozu » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:20 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Well, I've tried my hardest to contribute to the garbage so I'll take it as a compliment as a job well done

Don't be so hard on yourself Jimmy not all your posts are garbage ;)
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:22 pm

whufc wrote:

Yep agreed SA Health have done well considering and as a lefty I say the Marshall government have done pretty well too.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby whufc » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:29 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:

Haven't you changed your tune.. cop a cuppla likes on your post earlier and now you're all team SA Health. :lol:

Yeah im the first to admit that my attitude towards a lot of this has changed over the 12 months, I like to think whilst I have my own opinion i am open to change based on others opinion or the changing results. Nothing bugs me more than people who only see one way and then that is absolutely it . At the moment I believe that is what is killing politics, people are often left or right and in general have lost the ability to self assess and analyse. They support the left or right like they do their footy team. Nothing will change their mind and they will twist any statistic to make 'their team' the best.

I still think in the wrong hands the ability to lock down an entire population is dangerous, same as in the wrong hands the ability to enforce a vaccine could be dangerous but im comfortable now that SA Health are working with our interests in mind. You look at countries like the US and England and how each of them has looked to handle it and I think SA Health are going ok.
whufc
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:28 pm

whufc wrote:

The difference between 2 days and 6months lockdown is a matter of luck. Anyway, I'm not talking about the lockdown. I'm talking about the blatant disregard for proper risk management. You have, by their accounts, the most infectious virus on the planet and we have our own little nests of active cases concentrated in hotels in the city. There are staff working at the hotels 24/7 and nobody thought it a good idea to regularly test them other than to ask them if they felt OK? If one of my family was working there, they wouldn't be allowed home each night without a proof of test!
On top of it's bleeding effing obvious to do it, they don't appear to have learnt much from the Victorian experience.
Now, we are told, you can be infectious within 24 hours but they are only testing every 7 days? <<<<<<<HELLO>>>>>>>>>> Can anyone in SA Health do maths?

I do like the part of Marshall's 8 point plan that overseas travellers must get tested negative before getting on a plane :shock:
***** me, we should be advising him! That was said on here back before June! In fact we said it about incoming from Sicktoria. They test the truckies but wont test airline passengers?
If Marshall is actually listening to, and acting in accordance with, the health experts, then he needs some new experts because they've let him down. Miss Nicola is a spud
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:31 pm

Gozu wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Well, I've tried my hardest to contribute to the garbage so I'll take it as a compliment as a job well done

Don't be so hard on yourself Jimmy not all your posts are garbage ;)

Difference is most people don't know they're talking garbage........
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:40 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
whufc wrote:

The difference between 2 days and 6months lockdown is a matter of luck. Anyway, I'm not talking about the lockdown. I'm talking about the blatant disregard for proper risk management. You have, by their accounts, the most infectious virus on the planet and we have our own little nests of active cases concentrated in hotels in the city. There are staff working at the hotels 24/7 and nobody thought it a good idea to regularly test them other than to ask them if they felt OK? If one of my family was working there, they wouldn't be allowed home each night without a proof of test!
On top of it's bleeding effing obvious to do it, they don't appear to have learnt much from the Victorian experience.
Now, we are told, you can be infectious within 24 hours but they are only testing every 7 days? <<<<<<<HELLO>>>>>>>>>> Can anyone in SA Health do maths?

I do like the part of Marshall's 8 point plan that overseas travellers must get tested negative before getting on a plane :shock:
***** me, we should be advising him! That was said on here back before June! In fact we said it about incoming from Sicktoria. They test the truckies but wont test airline passengers?
If Marshall is actually listening to, and acting in accordance with, the health experts, then he needs some new experts because they've let him down. Miss Nicola is a spud
Whilst there was some luck involved don’t compare us to Victoria.
The Andrews government has stripped the health budget down to the bones over the years and didn’t have anywhere near the right amount of contact tracers. They were never going to get on top of an outbreak quickly. It didn’t help that SA offered their assistance with contact tracing early in the outbreak and through either stubbornness or hubris we weren’t needed apparently so by time our crew got over there a week later they were in a diabolical situation. SA jumped on contract tracing early and asked for assistance straight away hence we were able to have over 3000 close contacts in quarantine within a day or 2
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Trader » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:49 pm

Will testing before you get on the plane solve the issue though?

Don't get me wrong, no one wants to be on a plane for 16 hours with someone in peak infectious period, but equally as you have pointed out, you can be infectious within 24 hours.

Most 'pre approved testing' requirements are along the lines of a negative test within 72 hours of getting on the plane.

So someone gets a test, is negative, two days later jumps on a plane, highly infectious and gives it to everyone because they all have a false sense of security that we all are negative!!!

Lets not forget there are lots of cases of people who are negative for several days before testing positive on day 8-10 (including the cleaners family member - monday's positive).

Even if they were a 'real negative', they still have two days living to do before they get on the plane, what's to say they don't catch it in that period anyway.
Even if they quarantine like buggery, eventually they have to catch a train to the airport, or expose themselves some other way.

Then there are all the trust issues with people expected to do the right thing.
If someone wants to come home badly enough, I wouldn't put it past them faking test results, saying the isolated after their test, etc.

Testing negative before getting on a plane might help, but I'm not convinced its the silver bullet people are making it out to be.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby mots02 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:07 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Back slaps all round!!

Swap back slaps for Happy Clapping, its the SA Footy way.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 880 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion