2021 Player movements

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2021 Player movements

Postby smac » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:59 pm

northerner wrote:
smac wrote:I understood that one Menzel was pulling a lot of strings with Jeff that Paul wouldn't tolerate, no idea if it contributes to the departure or not.

It's still disappointing to lose quality players and people, it's only a year ago I'd heard one express a desire to captain our club and that excited me.

Yep.. and that player would have found himself in a development role within the club if jeff remained.

As long as you don't think that would have been good.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Aerie » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:30 pm

Might be time to upgrade the merch. Think I’ll replace my Eagles Are Angry t-shirt with the new Menzel As Anything tops. Mutch Mutch!
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:52 am

southernbulldog wrote:We had 4 players resign today that are TRUE CLUBMEN not money hungry like these two players that arent team first .They can both nick off

re-sign.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby southernbulldog » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:55 am

Thanks for the amendment it shouldve been re-sign .
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 241 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:46 am

I hope all you Doggies fans banging on about loyalty and not chasing the dollar make your thoughts known to James Boyd when you see him next.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:48 am

Personally think there has been a massive over reaction to the players leaving especially on social media.

Everyone throwing out the money line, off course that is what people have heard when its 99.9% guaranteed they heard it from within the club. It's not like Granty or anyone from the club is going to admit maybe the players were big fans of Andrews and left because of his sacking. That would just add fuel to the fire. Not like club officials would come out and say we are million miles away from a premiership and Dan in particular sees it as a last chance to win one, what message would that send.

Ultimately the guys have decided to leave, maybe it was the money. Given their injury woes you couldn't blame Granty if he wanted both of them to take a significant pay cut. I heard fairly different and that a few ex Centrals boys at North Clare tried to get the Menzel but Dan wasn't interested as he has a goal to coach at the highest level AFL, that opportunity had been taken away from him at Centrals.....apparently.

Either way its probably a win/win. They never really offered as much on-field as the club would have hoped for. They both have all the talent in the world and are a couple of genuine SANFL level players which we are a bit short of but far too often they would drift in and out of games amongst continuously returning from one form of an injury or another. The Dogs need consistency from their 'elite' players both from being on the park and in performance especially given its a young squad.

Eagles have picked up two potentially damaging footballers. They wont be as concerned about depth issues and provided the boys can be fit and firing come finals they will see it as a win.

The fans need to move on immediately and look at who that will now provide opportunities for. Thommo was honest in his Q&A which included not guaranteeing the Menzel boys would be with us but it also included saying that recruiting wasn't over as yet. The impression I got was there is a couple of recruits in the pipework's pending AFL draft.

Lets wait to the dust is settled and we have a full ins/outs list before getting the knives out albeit the squad looks slightly weaker than last years not taking into account natural improvement of the youngsters.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:51 am

Booney wrote:I hope all you Doggies fans banging on about loyalty and not chasing the dollar make your thoughts known to James Boyd when you see him next.

All clubs have them fans and players.

I mentioned it on our facebook page how funny it was when we recruited blokes like Jenner, Boyd, Slattery it was about that chase for an elusive premierships.

Now we are bang average whenever a player leaves our club or chooses not to come back to us its simply about money!

Sports are like politics these days, once you support your team nothing they do is ever wrong and you will always have a statistic or have 'heard' a way your club is 100% right in all decisions.

Social media has just amplified this by a million times.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:42 am

Dogs64 wrote:Yep, menzels leaving pi$$ off, you $#%^&

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:42 am

southernbulldog wrote:We had 4 players resign today that are TRUE CLUBMEN not money hungry like these two players that arent team first .They can both nick off

Did Boyd re-sign?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:44 am

heater31 wrote:
How's the sour grapes of announcing where they have gone for 2021, yet the other club hasn't said a word....

Central have really lost the plot in the past couple of years.

Haven't they just.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:45 am

Anyone checked on Groucho?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:50 am

Booney wrote:
heater31 wrote:
How's the sour grapes of announcing where they have gone for 2021, yet the other club hasn't said a word....

Haven't they just.

Is that really sour grapes......I wouldn't think so.

I've never heard of the unwritten rule the club a player is going to must 'announce' first.

If anything in recent times fans of the Dogs including myself have been extremely critical of the fact they haven't given fans up to date information, in particular the Andrews saga.

As a Dogs fan I 100% prefer hearing from my club that we have lost the players rather than seeing an Eagles post saying they have the guys.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:56 am

There's no rule anywhere but it's not your news to announce, never is.

What if their negotiations break down and they don't end up there, how stupid do you look then?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:58 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Haven't they just.

Is that really sour grapes......I wouldn't think so.

I've never heard of the unwritten rule the club a player is going to must 'announce' first.

If anything in recent times fans of the Dogs including myself have been extremely critical of the fact they haven't given fans up to date information, in particular the Andrews saga.

As a Dogs fan I 100% prefer hearing from my club that we have lost the players rather than seeing an Eagles post saying they have the guys.
Nope its sour grapes.

Closed shop for days regarding the removal of previous coach.....yet on the front foot regarding this?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dogs64 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:10 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:I hope all you Doggies fans banging on about loyalty and not chasing the dollar make your thoughts known to James Boyd when you see him next.

All clubs have them fans and players.

I mentioned it on our facebook page how funny it was when we recruited blokes like Jenner, Boyd, Slattery it was about that chase for an elusive premierships.

Now we are bang average whenever a player leaves our club or chooses not to come back to us its simply about money!

Sports are like politics these days, once you support your team nothing they do is ever wrong and you will always have a statistic or have 'heard' a way your club is 100% right in all decisions.

Social media has just amplified this by a million times.

Jenner was recruited in 2009 after playing a year of country football. Slattery 2006, (West had played in a gf in 2003), but you'd assume a gf was part of the decision. For Boydy it was probably a big part of the decision. Plus Hoskin who was post our success and was a delisted Power player and after the demise of the Magpies. Three players from other clubs (plus McIntyre, one year waste of time) over a decade when we were successful. Four quality players over 20 years from other SANFL clubs, not many.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Has liked: 309 times
Been liked: 177 times

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:12 am

Booney wrote:There's no rule anywhere but it's not your news to announce, never is.

What if their negotiations break down and they don't end up there, how stupid do you look then?

Maybe didn't need to add their playing at WWT section but its definitely the clubs news that they were no longer playing at Centrals.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dogs64 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:16 am

Booney wrote:There's no rule anywhere but it's not your news to announce, never is.

Of course they can announce it, two players have left. Supporters wanted to know if they were signed and they weren't, well done for letting us know. CDFC don't owe the Eagles anything.
Dogs64
Under 16s

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:21 am

Dogs64 wrote:

Of course they can announce it, two players have left. Supporters wanted to know if they were signed and they weren't, well done for letting us know. CDFC don't owe the Eagles anything.

I agree if the players have told them we are leaving to play at the Eagles, the club has every right to inform the members.

If they didn't mention where/what/why then no doubt the fans would have demanded those answers immediately.

I don't see it as sour grapes at all. The club took a smashing on the socials for not keeping members informed during the Andrews saga. It appears they have learnt from that and improved their communication to members.

They didn't make a big deal of it, a small section at the very bottom of some more positive news. if anything it felt like maybe they were trying to hide the news. Hardly screamed of sour grapes to me. I'm all for giving the club a hammering in when they deserve it but on this occasion they have dealt with it very professionally.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:28 am

Dogs64 wrote:

Not hard to say "The Menzel brothers have advised the club they will not be recommitting to the club in 2021" and not look like arse hats.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogs64 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:37 am

Booney wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:

Not hard to say "The Menzel brothers have advised the club they will not be recommitting to the club in 2021" and not look like arse hats.

Not hard to say what they've said and I don't think they look like arse hats.
Dogs64
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL