2021 Player movements

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2021 Player movements

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:47 am

whufc wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:
Booney wrote:There's no rule anywhere but it's not your news to announce, never is.

What if their negotiations break down and they don't end up there, how stupid do you look then?

Of course they can announce it, two players have left. Supporters wanted to know if they were signed and they weren't, well done for letting us know. CDFC don't owe the Eagles anything.

I agree if the players have told them we are leaving to play at the Eagles, the club has every right to inform the members.

If they didn't mention where/what/why then no doubt the fans would have demanded those answers immediately.

I don't see it as sour grapes at all. The club took a smashing on the socials for not keeping members informed during the Andrews saga. It appears they have learnt from that and improved their communication to members.

They didn't make a big deal of it, a small section at the very bottom of some more positive news. if anything it felt like maybe they were trying to hide the news. Hardly screamed of sour grapes to me. I'm all for giving the club a hammering in when they deserve it but on this occasion they have dealt with it very professionally.

The news release from the club actually commenced with the very positive news of the two Schillers, Hoskin and Habel continuing on this year at the club. It then had photos of these four.. then at the very bottom just a tiny mention that Daniel and Troy have decided to move to WWT. There was no sour grapes at all, it was not a release just about the Menzels. It was mainly about players continuing on. Those who have been calling it sour grapes have taken it all out of context. Whilst being absolutely gutted at the loss of Daniel and Troy, I applaud the club for letting its members know.
Cheers

P.S. Although very sad to lose them, I do wish Troy and Daniel all the best at their new club.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby heater31 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:50 am

The sour grapes part is choosing to name the destination club. Simply not needed. All the members needed to know is that they won't be there next season. Where they have gone is not Central's business.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Jackal1 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:56 am

Very surprised at this decision by the Menzels. I presume its a done deal as there has been nothing from the Eagles about this. They don't fit the norms that the Eagles look for in recruits...generally under 24 years old & can offer minimum 4 years / 100 games. It cannot be about money, we don't have it and we I am confident we stick to the salary cap rules. If the Menzels were chasing money they would be playing country footy. I suspect that they approached the Eagles and want to finish off their careers with a chance of playing some finals. 30 & 28 year olds with massive injury backgrounds - I expect they will come to the Eagles on the Eagles terms.
Jackal1
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:24 am

heater31 wrote:The sour grapes part is choosing to name the destination club. Simply not needed. All the members needed to know is that they won't be there next season. Where they have gone is not Central's business.

It is not uncommon for clubs to state where players are heading, if it is known at the time. As an example, Norwood have the following clearly stated on their website:

Sam Baulderstone (Payneham)
Ryan Bastinac (Queensland)
Will Abbott (Old Ignatians)
Tom Pinyon (Mount Compass)
Ben Millman
Corey Grove

What is being overlooked here is the real question. You would think the Eagles would be pleased to announce they have gained two more quality recruits. Why have they been very slow to do so this time? Is it possible that, in order to fit all their recruits under the salary cap, a number of the players at Oval Avenue may be facing receiving less coin for playing next year than they were originally anticipating, putting a few noses out of joint?

Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:45 am

Booney wrote:
Dogs64 wrote:
Booney wrote:There's no rule anywhere but it's not your news to announce, never is.

What if their negotiations break down and they don't end up there, how stupid do you look then?

Of course they can announce it, two players have left. Supporters wanted to know if they were signed and they weren't, well done for letting us know. CDFC don't owe the Eagles anything.

Not hard to say "The Menzel brothers have advised the club they will not be recommitting to the club in 2021" and not look like arse hats.

What do you think the first questions fans would have demanded from saying that was?

-why the bloody hell have they left
-where the bloody hell have the gone
-why the hell didn't we sign them

This was about not looking like arse hats to the central fans after the Andrew saga. They weren't announcing it to please Eagles fans/administration or Booney.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:49 am

bulldogproud wrote:
heater31 wrote:The sour grapes part is choosing to name the destination club. Simply not needed. All the members needed to know is that they won't be there next season. Where they have gone is not Central's business.

It is not uncommon for clubs to state where players are heading, if it is known at the time. As an example, Norwood have the following clearly stated on their website:

Sam Baulderstone (Payneham)
Ryan Bastinac (Queensland)
Will Abbott (Old Ignatians)
Tom Pinyon (Mount Compass)
Ben Millman
Corey Grove

What is being overlooked here is the real question. You would think the Eagles would be pleased to announce they have gained two more quality recruits. Why have they been very slow to do so this time? Is it possible that, in order to fit all their recruits under the salary cap, a number of the players at Oval Avenue may be facing receiving less coin for playing next year than they were originally anticipating, putting a few noses out of joint?

Cheers

Exactly and for all we know is the club asked permission from the Eagles to let their members know they had departed first.
whufc
Coach

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:01 am

northerner wrote:
smac wrote:I understood that one Menzel was pulling a lot of strings with Jeff that Paul wouldn't tolerate, no idea if it contributes to the departure or not.

It's still disappointing to lose quality players and people, it's only a year ago I'd heard one express a desire to captain our club and that excited me.

Yep.. and that player would have found himself in a development role within the club if jeff remained.

And if Andrews had stayed we would have lost a shitload more players than the Menzels.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:01 am

We don't owe WWT anything.

Maybe we asked them.

What if they gave us permission?

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:03 am

and then we'd be swamped with questions asking where they have gone.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:11 am

gazzamagoo wrote:

and then we'd be swamped with questions asking where they have gone.

Every club actually announces where players are going, if it is known at the time - look at any of their websites. Central have done nothing different to any other club. Some people just seem to still have an agenda against the club; maybe they haven't got over the bitterness they felt during the 2000-2010 era? ;)
The club that has acted differently is the Eagles in not announcing the news of the signings of Troy and Daniel. I wonder why they are not happy to announce their arrival??
Last edited by bulldogproud on Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:16 am

northerner wrote:
Spargo wrote:
whufc wrote:I just find it funny that when we used to pick up other club players in the 2000’s it was all about winning that elusive flags

When other clubs now do it us it’s purely money

As previously mentioned both could earn bucketloads more playing country if they really wanted

I’m led to believe by a country club who did speak to them that this is part of the Andrews fall out.

Spot on. And this is what the club don’t want people knowing.

I am sure thats part of it.
Matt knight will also follow them. All three enjoyed Joffa at the helm.
At the presentation it was clear that Troy had a lot of time for Joffa.

Conversely Fraser Fort and Boydie both made strong references against joffa. And there appears to be many others who agreed.
He definitely polarised the Club.

Who is Matt Knight?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:39 am

daysofourlives wrote:
northerner wrote:
Spargo wrote:
whufc wrote:I just find it funny that when we used to pick up other club players in the 2000’s it was all about winning that elusive flags

When other clubs now do it us it’s purely money

As previously mentioned both could earn bucketloads more playing country if they really wanted

I’m led to believe by a country club who did speak to them that this is part of the Andrews fall out.

Spot on. And this is what the club don’t want people knowing.

I am sure thats part of it.
Matt knight will also follow them. All three enjoyed Joffa at the helm.
At the presentation it was clear that Troy had a lot of time for Joffa.

Conversely Fraser Fort and Boydie both made strong references against joffa. And there appears to be many others who agreed.
He definitely polarised the Club.

Who is Matt Knight?

I presumed the media guy from South Gawler but was a little confused as well.
whufc
Coach

Postby arvoteapig » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:52 am

I am hearing rumours that Matt Knight is taking on a paid fitness coaching role at the eagles.
arvoteapig
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby darley16 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:55 am

On better news superstar Joel Cross has re-signed for another year with the Panthers. Talk about loyalty this champion has it in bucket loads. Truely great player in the post-AFL era of the SANFL and one of the best blokes. Legend!
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby MJP1993 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:58 am

darley16 wrote:On better news superstar Joel Cross has re-signed for another year with the Panthers. Talk about loyalty this champion has it in bucket loads. Truely great player in the post-AFL era of the SANFL and one of the best blokes. Legend!

Finally a post that’s actually true well done darley
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:19 pm

The Eagles have finally announced that Troy and Daniel have signed with them:

THE WOODVILLE WEST TORRENS FOOTBALL CLUB IS DELIGHTED TO ANNOUNCE THE SIGNING OF BROTHERS DANIEL AND TROY MENZEL.
Daniel returned to Adelaide in 2020 to play alongside Troy in the SANFL after 80 AFL matches with Geelong and Sydney, whilst Troy has spent four of the past five seasons in the SANFL after 44 matches at Carlton and Adelaide.

On their signing coach Jade Sheedy said; “We are fortunate to have players of Daniel and Troy’s calibre want to come and play for our Club. The experience these two have had at both AFL and SANFL level will be invaluable to the group.”

“Troy has shown in the past couple of seasons at SANFL level his ability to impact up forward and through the midfield. Daniel has played mainly as a forward at AFL level but we certainly see him as being able to push further up the ground as well, which will give our group even greater flexibility.”

On the announcement Troy said, “Daniel and I are both super excited to be joining the Eagles in 2021. We look forward to getting stuck into pre-season with the boys in a couple of weeks.”

In other list management news, 19-year-old Eagles junior Jamie Coff has advised the Club he has signed with Central. The Club wishes Jamie all the best for the future.

You will also notice at the bottom of the release that they are announcing that Jamie Coff has left the Eagles to play with Central. I now expect Heater, Booney et al to get stuck into the Eagles, saying it is sour grapes for announcing where he is going ;)
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby Brodlach » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:26 pm

Central announced him as a recruit last week ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:29 pm

bulldogproud wrote:The Eagles have finally announced that Troy and Daniel have signed with them:

THE WOODVILLE WEST TORRENS FOOTBALL CLUB IS DELIGHTED TO ANNOUNCE THE SIGNING OF BROTHERS DANIEL AND TROY MENZEL.
Daniel returned to Adelaide in 2020 to play alongside Troy in the SANFL after 80 AFL matches with Geelong and Sydney, whilst Troy has spent four of the past five seasons in the SANFL after 44 matches at Carlton and Adelaide.

On their signing coach Jade Sheedy said; “We are fortunate to have players of Daniel and Troy’s calibre want to come and play for our Club. The experience these two have had at both AFL and SANFL level will be invaluable to the group.”

“Troy has shown in the past couple of seasons at SANFL level his ability to impact up forward and through the midfield. Daniel has played mainly as a forward at AFL level but we certainly see him as being able to push further up the ground as well, which will give our group even greater flexibility.”

On the announcement Troy said, “Daniel and I are both super excited to be joining the Eagles in 2021. We look forward to getting stuck into pre-season with the boys in a couple of weeks.”

In other list management news, 19-year-old Eagles junior Jamie Coff has advised the Club he has signed with Central. The Club wishes Jamie all the best for the future.

You will also notice at the bottom of the release that they are announcing that Jamie Coff has left the Eagles to play with Central. I now expect Heater, Booney et al to get stuck into the Eagles, saying it is sour grapes for announcing where he is going ;)

Centrals announced it a week ago. :lol:

https://cdfc.com.au/news/recruiting-update/
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:32 pm

Booney wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:The Eagles have finally announced that Troy and Daniel have signed with them:

Centrals announced it a week ago. :lol:

https://cdfc.com.au/news/recruiting-update/

i know, but you criticised Central simply for saying where the Menzels have signed, saying they should have only said they have left.. Haven't the Eagles just done the same with Jamie Coff?? Is it okay for other clubs to announce where their former players are heading but not Central?? ;)
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby MJP1993 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:33 pm

Ok so now I accept the Menzel brothers are Eagles players
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times