Port Adelaide 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2021

Postby DOC » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:12 am

Paul Vandenbergh will leave Port next month. With no news of a replacement I suspect the programs are being wound back.

He has made a great contribution and I hope his talents are put to use within the same sphere.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:02 pm

DOC wrote:Paul Vandenbergh will leave Port next month. With no news of a replacement I suspect the programs are being wound back.

He has made a great contribution and I hope his talents are put to use within the same sphere.

That's a shame, from all reports he did a fabulous job there.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:36 am

Some rumours Pauly has got a gig with the AFL lined up, some suggesting he's got a role in the education department here in SA.

If it's either of those and was his call then all's well. If it is a rolling back of the programs and a cost management exercise then whilst I understand the difficulties the club(s) have faced this year it's a sad day as that man has helped positively influence the lives of more young indigenous kids than anyone could imagine. He's an absolute A grade human.

I'll be watching this space with interest.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:56 am

Booney wrote:Some rumours Pauly has got a gig with the AFL lined up, some suggesting he's got a role in the education department here in SA.

If it's either of those and was his call then all's well. If it is a rolling back of the programs and a cost management exercise then whilst I understand the difficulties the club(s) have faced this year it's a sad day as that man has helped positively influence the lives of more young indigenous kids than anyone could imagine. He's an absolute A grade human.

The thing with Reggie is its not just indigenous kids / people, he is happy to help anyone.
I was lucky enough to play 2 years of footy with him and I reckon it was some of the best 2 years our club has had off the field. Whether it was him, other factors or a combination, its no coincidence that wherever he goes the environment is good.
He has been enormous for pt Adelaide and its a massive loss
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby The Bedge » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:50 pm

Booney wrote:Some rumours Pauly has got a gig with the AFL lined up, some suggesting he's got a role in the education department here in SA.

I'd like to think the AFL head hunted him to run one of their programs, bloke is an absolute legend and he's so passionate about what he does and sharing knowledge & culture.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:57 pm

The Bedge wrote:

I'd like to think the AFL head hunted him to run one of their programs, bloke is an absolute legend and he's so passionate about what he does and sharing knowledge & culture.

Second this. Been fortunate to have a few dealings with him and absolute person of the highest quality!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Certainly a strange one, you certainly thought he would be there as long as PAFC wanted him, the media interviews with the club haven't given any insight, you would think if it wasn't a tightening of budgets then they would be saying this.

Did some of the programs have government funding which has maybe been pulled?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:57 pm

What is Port doing with the China deal?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:13 am

Brodlach wrote:What is Port doing with the China deal?

Certainly can't see it being in the 2021 fixture and I'd be surprised if the game on Chinese soil ever gets played again.

Andrew Hunter ( GM of China Strategy ) left the club early this year to join Jay Weatherill in Perth at the Twiggy Forrest funded Mindaroo Foundation ( A philanthropic not-for profit organisation https://www.minderoo.org/about/ ) so a crucial piece of the Port Adelaide / China engagement is no longer at the club. Lucky enough to speak with Andrew several times and he, in the lead up to that first game, had done over 30 trips in the 2 years prior to China to facilitate the game, a massive amount of work done by he and KT, among others. I'm currently reading his book "Port Adelaide to Shanghai".

We still have a full time employee in Shanghai, Tony Zhang, who is engaging with the Shanghai business community to maintain the relationship and corporate support.

I'm certainly watching with interest as despite the naysayers the strategy was funding itself and was set to become a major part of the clubs revenue stream going forward. We hadn't put all our eggs in that basket but fair to say we'd closely aligned ourselves with it going forward.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:31 am

Do you know this stuff off the top of your head or look it up and then post it? If the former, very impressive :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby whufc » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:32 am

Booney wrote:

Certainly can't see it being in the 2021 fixture and I'd be surprised if the game on Chinese soil ever gets played again.

Andrew Hunter ( GM of China Strategy ) left the club early this year to join Jay Weatherill in Perth at the Twiggy Forrest funded Mindaroo Foundation ( A philanthropic not-for profit organisation https://www.minderoo.org/about/ ) so a crucial piece of the Port Adelaide / China engagement is no longer at the club. Lucky enough to speak with Andrew several times and he, in the lead up to that first game, had done over 30 trips in the 2 years prior to China to facilitate the game, a massive amount of work done by he and KT, among others. I'm currently reading his book "Port Adelaide to Shanghai".

We still have a full time employee in Shanghai, Tony Zhang, who is engaging with the Shanghai business community to maintain the relationship and corporate support.

I'm certainly watching with interest as despite the naysayers the strategy was funding itself and was set to become a major part of the clubs revenue stream going forward. We hadn't put all our eggs in that basket but fair to say we'd closely aligned ourselves with it going forward.

Interesting this...…...do many other clubs have full time employees overseas.

You kind of feel like this would just have to be a win/win situation. If you have a full time person overseas looking for sponsorship opportunities you would like their wage would be offset by the sponsorships gained. I'm presuming a full time employee of that sort would be on around $100-$150k a year.

The role would also be very tangible and performance would be extremely to manage. How much sponsorship dollars have they gained vs the expenses of their role.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:33 am

MW wrote:Do you know this stuff off the top of your head or look it up and then post it? If the former, very impressive :lol:

The former.

Andrew lived near me in Alberton, got to know him quite well and had a real insight into the China Strategy, been a close watcher of it as it's fair to say we'd only tapped into a very small portion of what was potentially on offer.

People would be surprised how hard the Federal and State Governments were behind this project, diplomacy through sport was and is a real opportunity for nations to work together, at political and corporate level, sport is one thing every nation loves, it's a great conduit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:37 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:

Interesting this...…...do many other clubs have full time employees overseas.

You kind of feel like this would just have to be a win/win situation. If you have a full time person overseas looking for sponsorship opportunities you would like their wage would be offset by the sponsorships gained. I'm presuming a full time employee of that sort would be on around $100-$150k a year.

The role would also be very tangible and performance would be extremely to manage. How much sponsorship dollars have they gained vs the expenses of their role.

Yep, pretty easy to set KPI's and measure them.

No doubt the current relationship between the two countries would be making this somewhat more difficult!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:50 am

If this doesn’t go ahead again will Port either break even/profit. Not trolling a genuine question
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:54 am

Brodlach wrote:If this doesn’t go ahead again will Port either break even/profit. Not trolling a genuine question

So much to play out and so many unknowns, not on the football front but on the Chinese front, they (the government there) might stop Chinese companies sending money to Australia or put a tax on it, who knows?!?!?

I know several companies who had signed long term deals ( MG, Shanghai Cred, Jincheng Holdings ) are all still fully invested in the deals.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:20 am

Any word on Ports Financial result for this year?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:31 am

Dutchy wrote:Any word on Ports Financial result for this year?
Going by other clubs I’ve seen I’d suspect a hefty loss
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:31 am

Dutchy wrote:Any word on Ports Financial result for this year?

I've not seen anything yet.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:01 am

Brodlach wrote:If this doesn’t go ahead again will Port either break even/profit. Not trolling a genuine question

The hardest thing to measure with the strategy is the opportunity cost.

If we spend $400,000 to sign up a major sponsor that gives us $600,000, the happy clappers will say how wonderful, that investment in China made us $200,000, how good is that.

But in reality we could have walked into the head office of Coke and said the front patch on our jumper is free, it's worth $500k on average, but we'll give it to you for $300k cause we are struggling to fill it and this is easy.

So with that in mind, did the China deal make us $200k? Or cost us $100k?

(NB: The above numbers are random as is the use of Coke, but the theory remains).
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Trader » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:04 am

Booney wrote:So much to play out and so many unknowns, not on the football front but on the Chinese front, they (the government there) might stop Chinese companies sending money to Australia

Its fairly clear for anyone looking at the big picture. All these issues with taxes on Wine, banning of Australian beef, tweeting of photoshopped pictures of Australian military with knifes to children's throats, etc, it's got nothing to do with Morrison asking for an inquiry into the Covid outbreak, it's purely China throwing the toys out of the cot because they didn't get their promised Port Power game!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL