AFL 2021

Talk on the national game

AFL 2021

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:07 pm

Mid-Season Draft back in 2021

The AFL has confirmed the Mid-Season Draft will return in 2021 as a one-night event in early June.

By Mitch Cleary // AFL Media - 5 hrs ago

Cam Sutcliffe was selected by Port Adelaide with pick 9 of the 2019 mid-season draft.

THE AFL has committed to a single Mid-Season Rookie Draft next year, ditching a proposal for multiple 'waiver'-style periods throughout the season. 

Clubs received confirmation on Tuesday that the Mid-Season Rookie Draft would return on Wednesday, June 2, 2021, after being put on hold this season due to COVID-19. 

It will take on the same format as the 2019 model that saw 13 players selected, including Richmond's Marlion Pickett who went on to win a premiership just four months later. 

The AFL had previously raised an alternative model that would allow clubs to fill vacant list spots or replace inactive players on a monthly basis. 

Instead, it will return to a one-off event that allows those overlooked in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft, or a player previously delisted, to be selected.

Clubs eligible to select a player during the June intake must have a list spot open following the Rookie Draft or have moved a player to the inactive list via a retirement or long-term injury.

The AFL also confirmed the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) will return from January 6 and run until March 9 on the eve of the 2021 season. 

Much like the Mid-Season Draft, clubs must have a list spot open following the Rookie Draft or have moved a player to the inactive list in order to add a player in the window. 

For example, Adelaide will be forced to re-draft retired defender Bryce Gibbs due to administration purposes around his payout for 2021. The Crows will be allowed to immediately move Gibbs to the inactive list and add a player via the SSP. 

Clubs will have the opportunity to add potential SSP signings to their training squad in the new year – a process used most notably by Richmond's Sydney Stack to win a list spot at Punt Road ahead of 2019. 

Should any player selected in the SSP have signed a contract with a state league club, their new AFL home will be required to pay $10,000 that will come from outside the football department soft cap. Exclusions apply for players who had signed a consent form to train with the AFL club before committing to the state league club, or if the player was entering the 2020 drafts for the first time in their 18th year.

The flat fee of $10,000 applies for the Mid-Season Rookie Draft without any exclusions.

As was the case in 2019, players selected in the Mid-Season Rookie Draft will need approval from their original state league club should the two teams meet during the season, while the Mid-Season draftee will be eligible to return to their original club for finals if not required by their AFL club.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Re: AFL 2021

Postby DOC » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:32 pm

quoting the above post "As was the case in 2019, players selected in the Mid-Season Rookie Draft will need approval from their original state league club should the two teams meet during the season, while the Mid-Season draftee will be eligible to return to their original club for finals if not required by their AFL club"

I do not think this (returning to the original club) was the case. We were told we could not have Knoll (Sydney) should we play finals.

Stand to be corrected.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:40 pm

DOC wrote:quoting the above post "As was the case in 2019, players selected in the Mid-Season Rookie Draft will need approval from their original state league club should the two teams meet during the season, while the Mid-Season draftee will be eligible to return to their original club for finals if not required by their AFL club"

I do not think this (returning to the original club) was the case. We were told we could not have Knoll (Sydney) should we play finals.

Stand to be corrected.

Maybe he had signed a contract extension for the following season?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:23 am

Rightio, what do Adelaide do with pick 1?

Me, I'd nominate Ugle-Hagan, widely regarded as the best player and make the Bulldogs match.

Adelaide then get a "free" shot at McDonald or Thilthorpe and one of them doesn't have the #1 pick pressure on their heads. Win/win.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:43 am

Booney wrote:Rightio, what do Adelaide do with pick 1?

Me, I'd nominate Ugle-Hagan, widely regarded as the best player and make the Bulldogs match.

Adelaide then get a "free" shot at McDonald or Thilthorpe and one of them doesn't have the #1 pick pressure on their heads. Win/win.

It's an interesting debate, and most people I know agree that getting Thilthorpe and avoiding the #1 pressure is a good idea.

I seem to be in the minority that would just say bugger it, we (speaking on behalf of the crows, not as a crows fan) want to be able to promote the fact we have the #1 player from the 2020 draft and as such, we've taken our man Thilthorpe.

You could also see a deal done with pick swaps with the bulldogs that mean as they don't have to spend the extra points to match pick #1 and now only need to match #2, they are happy to give you a sweet deal on pick swaps with lower picks.

Then again, you don't want to be the club that in 2030 when Ugle-Hagan wins his 7th All Australia is sitting there saying we had the #1 pick and didn't try and get him! haha
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:43 am

Absolutely do this, make the dogs pay.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1205 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby MW » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:44 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:

Absolutely do this, make the dogs pay.

Agree
Even if Crows dont pick Hagan, our no.1 pick will be always compared to him anyway
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:10 am

I don’t get the hype on Thilthorpe.

Hope I’m proven wrong
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:55 am

The crows have come out and said they will pick who they think is the best player at 1.
If I were them I would not pick Hagan at 1, pick who they will end up with if the bulldogs matched.
That way they can tell the kid they picked they rated him number 1 from the start ra ra ra, and fill him with confidence that they rate him higher than the bulldogs player and always have.
Nobody wants to be second choice
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:58 am

That's a reasonable thought process mate, hadn't looked at it that way.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:14 am

I’m taking Hollands if I’m Adelaide
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:33 am

Mythical Creature wrote:The crows have come out and said they will pick who they think is the best player at 1.
If I were them I would not pick Hagan at 1, pick who they will end up with if the bulldogs matched.
That way they can tell the kid they picked they rated him number 1 from the start ra ra ra, and fill him with confidence that they rate him higher than the bulldogs player and always have.

They can still tell him this and they only picked the other bloke to make the Dogs pay. I am sure a donation of 10k can be made to offset not choosing the player at No 1. I don't really understand any hype around being number 1 anyway, it can turn out to be more of a stigma.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1205 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:36 am

Mythical Creature wrote:The crows have come out and said they will pick who they think is the best player at 1.

If a player cant deal with the 'adversity' of being a second choice he aint going to cut the mustard at AFL level.

I wouldn't be drafting any player who I believe wasn't resilient enough to deal with your scenario
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:54 am

I can see both sides to the argument. Luckily this is the last year of the crap Academies, etc!!

I think Ugle-Hagan deserves to be the Number 1 pick and the cash and pressure that goes with it.

I also agree with Brodlach re Thilthorpe, dont get the hype, would be going McDonald as my pick for sure.

Whatever happens, will be plenty of discussion in years to come on what the correct decision should have been :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Chrisso » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:15 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:

I can see both sides to the argument. Luckily this is the last year of the crap Academies, etc!!

I think Ugle-Hagan deserves to be the Number 1 pick and the cash and pressure that goes with it.

I also agree with Brodlach re Thilthorpe, dont get the hype, would be going McDonald as my pick for sure.

Whatever happens, will be plenty of discussion in years to come on what the correct decision should have been :shock:

Most supporters know that the draft is a lottery, and pick 1 guarantee's nothing in regards to how a player turns out down the track.

Unfortunately the media has to create articles so there'll be one in a few years saying "why didn't Crows pick player x instead", this is unless the player picked by the Crows turns out to be a really good player, then we will hear nothing from the media.
Chrisso
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby am Bays » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:31 pm

Chrisso wrote: this is unless the player picked by the Crows turns out to be a really good player, then we will hear nothing from the media.

Wrong!!!!

Then we will hear about that time he farted when he was getting his fruit and Veg at the Carousel in Marion, and who he is reportedly banging after being seen at the Cas at 2 am on a Sunday night

Every month months there will be an old recruiter/ Crows Legend feature article mid week that says how they always knew he was going to be a gun after watching five minutes of an U/16s game this one time.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:36 pm

I feel for the poor bastards that are going to be drafted by Essendon
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:44 pm

Chrisso wrote:Most supporters know that the draft is a lottery, and pick 1 guarantee's nothing in regards to how a player turns out down the track..

True, but generally they get it right more often than not these days.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:45 pm

Armchair expert wrote:I feel for the poor bastards that are going to be drafted by Essendon

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

AFL 2021

Postby Jim05 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:46 pm

Armchair expert wrote:I feel for the poor bastards that are going to be drafted by Essendon
Yep, couple of years of pain coming their way
On the other hand some good drafting over the next year or two can turn things around
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Next

Board index   Football  AFL