Australian International Summer 2020/21

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2020/21

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:59 am

Draw was $1.80 last night and now $2.50 without a ball being bowled, Im guessing the forecast is looking pretty good.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:02 am

whufc wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:This series really has highlighted weaknesses in the current Australian national team.

Leadership - Well documented on here how I feel about Langer, he was the right man for the job to bring Australia out of the mire post Sandpapergate, his pride, moisture inducing pride, in the baggy green was what was needed to bring some respect back to the Australian side. He did that, along with Tim Paine, they once again demanded we respect our opponents. That had eroded under Smith and Lehmann. Now though, as demonstrated in Sydney and Melbourne, we don't know how to show some mongrel when we have too. We've gone too far the "other" way. Warner, clearly on best behaviour barely says much and if he does it's a much more tempered approach than before and the likes of Labuschagne and Paine have had to push themselves into that role, the aggressor, and it doesn't suit, or work for, either of them.

We've debated on here who the next long term captain of Australia is and the best we can come up with is Cummins in the short term, perhaps Head if he can get back in and cement his spot and Carey who isn't even in the side! Given Smith won't be given it and who the f*ck would want to listen to Labuschagne as skipper the cupboard is bare bar a 37 year old keeper and a bowler. Good times ahead.

Batting depth - No Smith, no 'Straya. With Warner hobbled this summer we looked to Smith to build us totals and when he failed we had nobody to turn to. Burns was thrown to the wolves, Wade went from 5 to open and back to 5, we would never have debuted a young opener against the best attack in the world if we didn't have to then it was back to the future with Harris at the top of the order. Bar the shining light of Green the summer has been a disaster when it comes to finding blokes who can build scores. Labuschagne keeps keeping on, credit to him, he's the only bat who has done his job this summer.

So, bar leadership and batting we're in good shape.

Disagree about the potential in our batting.

With Smith, Labuschagne and Warner we have 3 world class batters. Yes Warner was injured but long term he should be fine and in general has been injury free.

Green looks the goods and could be the perfect defensive foil to Smith, Warner and Laba. Should be batting at 5 imo.

Paine has averaged over 50 and funnily enough it would be his batting that guarantees his spot. His batting average is the second best of all time Australian keepers behind the one and only Gilchrist.

Pucovski showed some promise in his one test but doesn't appear overly reliable when it comes to injuries.

ABC Radio mentioned yesterday Paines career average of 33 would makes him the second best keeper batsmen in Australia's history, higher than Haddin, Healy and co.

I think we can all agree about the shield, that change needs to happen immediately.

While overall 33 is a decent average for a wicketkeeper, what is annoying about Paine is he doesn't put his foot on the throat when he appears to be in good nick. Haddin, Healy, Marsh....these blokes didn't average what Paine does but what they do do is go on and score test centuries. As skipper you set an example and with the bat his example is let the opposition off the hook when it looks like you are about to get on top. Sadly, this team appears to be following that example.

The less said about his diminishing glovework and absolutely shithouse captaincy the better. No one in the cupboard so there's the trick.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:03 am

Dutchy wrote:Draw was $1.80 last night and now $2.50 without a ball being bowled, Im guessing the forecast is looking pretty good.

We bounced ourselves out of this series on Sunday.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:04 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:What is with the Australian top order batsmen when they're given out ? They just stand around thinking they've been hard done by all the time.

It's the attitude that's been instilled into the group with the re-emergence of Smith and Warner, I'm a fan of Smith's but I'm rapidly losing respect for him again, Marnus is a deadset wanker, it's hard to tell when Smith ends and he starts.

Wade and Warner are a pair of floggers too, I hope Green can remain level-headed.

Piss Langer off and get in Punter or Tugger, even AB for that matter, get some Aussie grunt and tenacity back in the squad.

Poor old AB. Hasn't he given enough? I reckon someone like Mark Taylor might be ideal but I can't see Tubs making an appearance.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:10 am

whufc wrote:I think we can all agree about the shield, that change needs to happen immediately.

I think we can all agree about the shield, that change will never happen.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:14 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:
Our depth isn't great which is obvious but I guess you could argue we are fortunate to have two blokes averaging 40 that cant make or aren't presently in our line up, Head and Pattinson.

Just a shame there is no shield cricket on at the moment to sort the boys out from the men.

Leadership is an absolute shambles though.

I think our depth is ok, we just need to find a solid opening combo, something we've been blessed with for a very long time, it needs to be left/right IMO.

Its far easier coming in at 1/120 than 1/7 and so forth.

Our depth is atrocious. We've got guys like Head, Harris, Burns, Wade regularly playing test cricket when they have no business being anywhere near the first XI. The reason why they are regularly playing or in the discussion is that the rest of the batsmen in this country dream of an IPL contract rather than a Baggy Green. **** teeball.

regards,

Angry Dad :D
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:16 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:I think we can all agree about the shield, that change needs to happen immediately.

I think it can. You just need to play it concurrently and prior with the test series. You can still have BBL games during the holidays, the games are like footy matches so midweek matches can still occur, you can still milk the teeball cashcow. But they need to milk it without cutting the head off the golden goose. If we turn into the West Indies we will never rise again. When the novelty of teeball eventually wears off we drop to that 100 ball bullshit or T10, then Cricket won't have anywhere else to turn. CA leadership need a rocket.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:23 am

Hear Hear

Er-Mc4QW8AQ-Td9.jpg
Er-Mc4QW8AQ-Td9.jpg (227.93 KiB) Viewed 452 times
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:29 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:What is with the Australian top order batsmen when they're given out ? They just stand around thinking they've been hard done by all the time.

It's the attitude that's been instilled into the group with the re-emergence of Smith and Warner, I'm a fan of Smith's but I'm rapidly losing respect for him again, Marnus is a deadset wanker, it's hard to tell when Smith ends and he starts.

Wade and Warner are a pair of floggers too, I hope Green can remain level-headed.

Piss Langer off and get in Punter or Tugger, even AB for that matter, get some Aussie grunt and tenacity back in the squad.

Poor old AB. Hasn't he given enough? I reckon someone like Mark Taylor might be ideal but I can't see Tubs making an appearance.

regards,

REB

F*** Tubby, he's too nice. He ranks #6 in the best captains of my era.

S.Waugh
Punter
AB
Clarke
G.Chappell
Taylor
Paine
Smith
Hughes
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby RustyCage » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:39 am

Final day of a test series and every result is a possibility. How good is test cricket!
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Dinglinga75 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:40 am

Not sure if the players would want Taylor as coach after the pay dispute in 2017
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:41 am

RustyCage wrote:Final day of a test series and every result is a possibility. How good is test cricket!

And boom, Cummins strikes early.

I'm not sure why he didn't open last night?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:41 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

regards,

REB

F*** Tubby, he's too nice. He ranks #6 in the best captains of my era.

S.Waugh
Punter
AB
Clarke
G.Chappell
Taylor
Paine
Smith
Hughes

Agree with Stevo, but Punter wayyyyy too high imho.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby DOC » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 am

Adam Gilchrist should be in that list. 6 tests.

He would cure the pedantic hanging around once out.
DOC
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:59 am

Booney wrote:

Therefore we will never improve

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby DOC » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:01 am

Agree with this. Must change ASAP.
DOC
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:05 am

People have short memories of Wade's impact in the Ashes series.
Perhaps some would have preferred him to fail and then lose the Ashes so he isn't around.
The pile on against him is just absolutely ridiculous.
He then opened in a match in this series, where he had no place in putting his hand up. But if Head was in that situation of opening the innings no doubt he would have made 397* [emoji849]

Wade has enough points in the bank.

He will be guaranteed his spot until the end of next summer.

Like Wade did, perhaps Trav needs to reinvent himself through Shield cricket. Whether thats here or elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Q. » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:10 am

That's ******
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:17 am

JK wrote:Agree with Stevo, but Punter wayyyyy too high imho.

Had a fair record and earnt the respect of those under him.

He was always on the attack, always wanted to win, there's merit in having AB or Clarke ahead of him.

Clarke was an interesting one, I was never much of a fan until he took over and showed some ticker, he, like Punter, relished the role and led by example, Clarke's heroics in the famous SCG test was probably the best individual effort from a captain I've witnessed.

AB was just as tough as nails and had no fuse, a total "no nonsense" character, represented a true Australian.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:19 am

Q. wrote:That's ******

What happened?
Lightning McQueen
Coach