Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby tigerpie » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:20 am

Unless SD are absolutely penniless, with no other option, I can't see the members being happy with being taken over!

I feel for the people that put in so much time and effort in creating the stingrays.
Tough gig running a district club.
Their second ground has always been an issue (they even tried to pinch ours).

No idea why they didn't use south Adelaide as their base and Bice their second ground.
Saca should've worked on this move 10 years ago.

Not having a district club down south is really poor management.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby oldeagle » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:16 pm

It's interesting listening to the radio. The yays have been Adelaide people. The nays have been Southern District supporters which seems to say they see it as a takeover.
I understand yesterday was pretty spiteful at Bice.
It was unfortunate the Stingrays president was unable to attend the match.
oldeagle
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Gosaints » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:26 pm

if current committees can't see a way forward for a club then get out of the way and let people with vision and energy do the job, which I am sure will now happen at SD.

are we sure the most significant issue in holding back sa cricket is not the saca? fix that then see if mergers or relocations are required.
Gosaints
Rookie

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby tigerpie » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:28 pm

It just seems the stingrays have been behind the 8 ball for such a long time.
Even dug up the block 3 times from what I've been told.

Time to take stock.
Are they an elite club like they think?
Do they do the little things well enough.
I.E. do they promote themselves in a positive light to the community clubs?
Reynella used to have a t20 game with them, (which included Bernie Vince, Michael Doherty, and Brent Riley, in our team) when we first went into turf.
Great night, lots of people attended, promoted themselves well.
They lost interest, so we've now played glenelg a couple of times instead preseason.

But again, they tried to take our second ground from under our nose, so lost a lot of respect at reynella.

Having said all that, there must be a grade club presence down this way.
We've got a millions kids at reynella, and the little kids on Saturday mornings cover the whole oval.
There is major participation down here.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:46 pm

Aerie wrote:
If I was head honcho, I’d be looking at providing the Southerns club with money to facilitate an upgrade of Bice Oval and be looking at the new Aldinga complex as a junior centre for the club, without merging, unless Adelaide want to commit to moving fully south.

I believe Bice is getting an upgrade as part of the deal.

Seems strange that its still going to be known legally as the Adelaide CC - why not Adelaide South CC or Adelaide Southern CC or South Adelaide CC?

tigerpie - what is Reynella's 2nd ground?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:57 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Aerie wrote:
If I was head honcho, I’d be looking at providing the Southerns club with money to facilitate an upgrade of Bice Oval and be looking at the new Aldinga complex as a junior centre for the club, without merging, unless Adelaide want to commit to moving fully south.

Seems strange that its still going to be known legally as the Adelaide CC - why not Adelaide South CC or Adelaide Southern CC or South Adelaide CC?

It's a secret ;)
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:13 pm

Without knowing anything about how either clubs operate its absolute craziness to not have a grade cricket club south of the state. That can not be good for cricket in this state in any shape or form. I wonder would Cricket Australia ever get involved as it somewhat directly hurts the future of our game.

Personally I think there should be two divisions eg Super League & Premier Grade, add a regulation/promotion system for the each individual competition, you could be super league in the two day format but premier grade in the one dayers.

I would only have A - C grade which would also help community cricket with people filtering back into that. If you cant find room for your gun 16's in your best 33 players are they really going to make it. I would also consider making the 16's and 14's one competition in each, not the red and white. Lets get back to putting some serious prestige on playing at a grade cricket club. Once again get the extra juniors back into the community clubs and increase the relationship between grade clubs/community clubs.

Not sure the regional zones really works well in cricket. I know living in Clare most kids aren't to connected to Woodville and with cricket being the sport it is, especially in the eyes of parents only a very small amount bother to have a crack and even then its a half arsed commitment. Not sure what the answer is to that problem though.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Trader » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:47 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Aerie wrote:

It's a secret ;)

Woodcroft College.

It was offered around, no one wanted it, Reynella took it on, had some upgrades undertaken to the outfield to bring it upto standard.
Once the outfield was improved all of a sudden Southerns came sniffing.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:25 pm

I played at Woodcroft v Reynella in the first year or two that Reynella entered the ATCA. The pitch was a beauty thanks to tigerpie if I'm not mistaken, but the condition of the oval was terrible. Uneven and huge cracks you could stand a bat in.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:53 pm

If the vibe on Southern Districts Facebook page is anything to go by I can't see their members voting for it

Does a motion like this need 50+% to be carried?

Adelaide are a logical club to disappear given that their long, skinny zone could easily be absorbed by surrounding clubs. This might be them preemptively taking charge of their own destiny.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Gosaints » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:10 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:If the vibe on Southern Districts Facebook page is anything to go by I can't see their members voting for it

Adelaide are a logical club to disappear given that their long, skinny zone could easily be absorbed by surrounding clubs. This might be them preemptively taking charge of their own destiny.

it will be their women's registered members that might tip it over to a yes vote along with those just going along with what the committee think

should make for interesting dynamics
Gosaints
Rookie

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Glenunga

Postby heater31 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:03 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:If the vibe on Southern Districts Facebook page is anything to go by I can't see their members voting for it

Yet barely a yelp on the corresponding club's Facebook page....

Would be in the club's constitution and you would like to think it would require 2/3 majority in favour to be carried.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby oldeagle » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:49 pm

2/3rds of the eligible members need to vote this in.

So there's the problem.

The chairperson of the cricket committee who has been there 15 years is ineligible to vote.

A parent of a child who may have played Ray Sutton this year is entitled to vote.

Shane Deitz is a life member but because he is overseas unable to vote due to the club's constitution which was last changed many years ago.
oldeagle
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:53 pm

Gosaints wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:
no_remorse28 wrote:There has been a hit of talk around ATCA on satuedays of a team moving further north to Gawler way.

Any one else heard similar, can we expect more changes.

There was talk a while ago about Northern Districts relocating to Gawler and tapping in closer to the Barossa & other northern country areas

Not sure if that's what they're referring to

I am hearing similar stories of a relocation of a club further north. not surprised it is being discussed around atca circles as the link is obvious.

fits given less travel south in the future.

any gawler barossa peeps aware of saca pumping dollars into the area for infrastructure under a deal with local government.

Thgey contributed to the lights at Tanunda Oval, i believe they are suitable for 1st class cricket and television but dont quote me on that. That is an Oval that a grade club would never get along with every other current oval in the competition as whatever club that currently uses it is not going to fold and allow a grade club to take over the facility. It would have to be a brand new facility, to start a Grade club you need at least 4 ovals all with Turf or at least 3 of them Turf. So I would doubt that it could ever happen, they would need a shit load of land in a place that has a decent population to build 4 ovals not to mention the cost. Not sure SACA has that sort of funds available anymore. Its alot of investment just for the benefit one club.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby tigerpie » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:00 pm

Trader wrote:
tigerpie wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Aerie wrote:

It's a secret ;)

Woodcroft College.

It was offered around, no one wanted it, Reynella took it on, had some upgrades undertaken to the outfield to bring it upto standard.
Once the outfield was improved all of a sudden Southerns came sniffing.

It wasn't "offered around".
SD went and looked at it and to be fair the block was dust and weeds and the oval was horrific.
SD said they weren't interested, due to the work required to get it playable.
So little old community club,Reynella, took it on when we left hardwicket and spent a lot of time, money and energy getting it to playing condition.
Its now a great block and oval.
To me they've missed the basic fundamental of having 2 or 3 decent ovals?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Power From Port » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:56 pm

Could never understand why SD didn't push for a turf wicket at South Adelaide Footy Club when it was first built and played out of that with Bice being the C/D ground. theoretically can still be done seeing as no one uses Noarlunga Oval during summer season. Would certainly solve the 2nd ground issue that SD has had for as long as i can remember. Either way not having a club down South is surely a concern. hard to imagine aspiring cricketers from the Fleurieu being too keen on the extra travel for example
Power From Port

Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Lofty

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:35 am

Power From Port wrote:Could never understand why SD didn't push for a turf wicket at South Adelaide Footy Club when it was first built and played out of that with Bice being the C/D ground. theoretically can still be done seeing as no one uses Noarlunga Oval during summer season. Would certainly solve the 2nd ground issue that SD has had for as long as i can remember. Either way not having a club down South is surely a concern. hard to imagine aspiring cricketers from the Fleurieu being too keen on the extra travel for example

Exactly my point.
That should've been a priority.
You could fit a 7 deck block on that ground easily.
Anyone know why it never happened?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:40 am

tigerpie wrote:
Power From Port wrote:Could never understand why SD didn't push for a turf wicket at South Adelaide Footy Club when it was first built and played out of that with Bice being the C/D ground. theoretically can still be done seeing as no one uses Noarlunga Oval during summer season. Would certainly solve the 2nd ground issue that SD has had for as long as i can remember. Either way not having a club down South is surely a concern. hard to imagine aspiring cricketers from the Fleurieu being too keen on the extra travel for example

Exactly my point.
That should've been a priority.
You could fit a 7 deck block on that ground easily.
Anyone know why it never happened?
The construction was rushed from memory.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:05 am

As SD was formed from the Christies Beach cricket club that played in the old SCA hard wicket comp.
What happens to that history with the merge/takeover?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:42 am

tigerpie wrote:As SD was formed from the Christies Beach cricket club that played in the old SCA hard wicket comp.
What happens to that history with the merge/takeover?
That history was discarded years ago

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps