Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:58 am

The Bedge wrote:Australia Day. . not the increasing discussion or debate about the date, but how aggressive, vile and hurtful so many of the comments are through social media.

Personally, as an Aboriginal person i'm all for changing the date - and I have my reasons - but at the same time I don't begrudge or slander or hate on those who want to celebrate it.. after all it's a beautiful concept - a day for all of the nation to celebrate the cultural diversity and country this has become.. but that day isn't January 26 for me. That's fine.

However you read the comments on social media and it brings you (me) to tears - a combination of anger, sadness, frustration.

Corona Man commented yesterday he feels like "he's supposed to be embarrassed to be an Australian" on Australia Day - try being aboriginal and having people write the stuff that do all over every media outlet they can because they don't agree with those who support changing the date.

Enough from me, i'll just go back to sniffing my petrol in my torn up housing trust house that should've been given to a genuine white family, whilst i keep checking my bank for my latest dole payment. I really should be more respectful for the handouts I receive and benefiting from "the system" - after all i'm not a REAL aboriginal, i'm not black enough. :(

Feel for you mate.

Nothing urks me more when I see on facebook people posting how aboriginal people should just 'get over it' whilst they are carrying on about a date change....slightly ironic.

Then there is the flat out racism with the disclaimer I'm 'not racist' I just call it how it is, or I'm not racist 'I have aboriginal friends'

I deliberately made sure I didn't look at peoples post yesterday because it would have just infuriated me.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:00 am

MW wrote:Yeah me too. The animosity is getting worse every year.
Is the solution of moving the date too simple?
Or would we be better off using Jan 26 to acknowledge our indigenous community and educate what happened that day all those years ago, and having another date for Australia Day?

Does it have to be the same date every year? Could it be as simple as the last Friday in January (or whichever month is deemed most suitable for ALL people enjoying the country) for example?

Anyone these days who doesn't notice how distressing it is for far too many people seriously has their head in the sand (or more likely just plain and simple don't care). Surely it's a matter of when it changes not if, so just bloody well change it (as per Q's well worded post in the "Rate" thread).
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:02 am

I just wanted somewhere i could get it off my chest. :lol: Bloody hard scrolling through places like FB and you know you shouldn't click on the comments, but just cant help it... and they get worse every year.

Is moving the date too simple? I did ponder this last night in my head.. and thought back over the past year - I reckon if you asked a person what they felt was the most important or significant day/event to them was you'd get answers like Christmas, ANZAC Day, Easter, Grand Final Day, wedding anniversary, kids birthday.

I'm not sure Australia Day would even register for most.. yet each year it causes the most division in the country and so many "patriotic" Aussies voice what it is supposed to be to be an Aussie... not even aboriginals - what about Muslims? "Dont eat meat? Dont drink beer? Then f**k off we're full!" :roll:

Hell i would even wonder if i quizzed people mid year if they could recall the date for Australia Day.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:03 am

JK wrote:
MW wrote:Yeah me too. The animosity is getting worse every year.
Is the solution of moving the date too simple?
Or would we be better off using Jan 26 to acknowledge our indigenous community and educate what happened that day all those years ago, and having another date for Australia Day?

Does it have to be the same date every year? Could it be as simple as the last Friday in January (or whichever month is deemed most suitable for ALL people enjoying the country) for example?

Anyone these days who doesn't notice how distressing it is for far too many people seriously has their head in the sand (or more likely just plain and simple don't care). Surely it's a matter of when it changes not if, so just bloody well change it (as per Q's well worded post in the "Rate" thread).

Yeah I agree. I love the sound of the 'last Monday in January' or something similar.

Making Australia Day a long weekend every year would be very Australian.
whufc
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:07 am

Great idea, making it a last Friday of a month or whatever. I just think we need to get it away from Jan all together and use that time (Jan 26) for reflection.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:11 am

The Bedge wrote:I just wanted somewhere i could get it off my chest. :lol: Bloody hard scrolling through places like FB and you know you shouldn't click on the comments, but just cant help it... and they get worse every year.

Is moving the date too simple? I did ponder this last night in my head.. and thought back over the past year - I reckon if you asked a person what they felt was the most important or significant day/event to them was you'd get answers like Christmas, ANZAC Day, Easter, Grand Final Day, wedding anniversary, kids birthday.

I'm not sure Australia Day would even register for most.. yet each year it causes the most division in the country and so many "patriotic" Aussies voice what it is supposed to be to be an Aussie... not even aboriginals - what about Muslims? "Dont eat meat? Dont drink beer? Then f**k off we're full!" :roll:

Hell i would even wonder if i quizzed people mid year if they could recall the date for Australia Day.

As a general rule to myself I don't write shit on FB or here that I wouldn't say in person, the exact reason I never post on here on the piss, I know I'm a smartarse and people can perceive me the wrong way.

It's hard biting the tongue on what FB can deal up by those who have no profile pic and clearly want to a stir, I even see people I do know write crap when I know that they are as weak as piss in real life and would shit themselves if confronted.

I have my opinions on the while debate, they are mine and I don't need to share them, express them or force them upon others.

The only thing I will say is that would be great if the whole nation could celebrate the day united as one regardless of race, culture or religion.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:13 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:I just wanted somewhere i could get it off my chest. :lol: Bloody hard scrolling through places like FB and you know you shouldn't click on the comments, but just cant help it... and they get worse every year.

As a general rule to myself I don't write shit on FB or here that I wouldn't say in person, the exact reason I never post on here on the piss, I know I'm a smartarse and people can perceive me the wrong way.

It's hard biting the tongue on what FB can deal up by those who have no profile pic and clearly want to a stir, I even see people I do know write crap when I know that they are as weak as piss in real life and would shit themselves if confronted.

I have my opinions on the while debate, they are mine and I don't need to share them, express them or force them upon others.

The only thing I will say is that would be great if the whole nation could celebrate the day united as one regardless of race, culture or religion.

Call it "Australian's Day" and have it on the last Friday in January. Easy fixed.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:15 am

whufc wrote:
Yeah I agree. I love the sound of the 'last Monday in January' or something similar.

To me, a new date would have to reflective of a coming together, not just a plucked out random date, that just seems to be putting a band-aid over a scar.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:16 am

Bum Crack wrote:Call it "Australian's Day" and have it on the last Friday in January. Easy fixed.

I loved the Tuesday off, it gave us a free Monday too.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:24 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

To me, a new date would have to reflective of a coming together, not just a plucked out random date, that just seems to be putting a band-aid over a scar.

Its a prickly subject, and I upset Bedge last night by not being particularly clear in a post.

Sure change the date, but that does not change history. History, is just that, history.

Did sorry change much for the aboriginal people? I make this comment seriously & not in any jest.... did it, I don't know?

I respect everyone's right to protest, and by and large, what I saw on the TV news last night they were wearing masks & sticking to the covid rules, so good on them kudos there. The so called right wing guy in Melbourne who was arrested (and later released without charge) I'd like to know what he did illegal. Is it illegal to proudly wear Australian flag stuff on Australia Day, or any other day for that matter? Sure he was agitating, and the cops probably took him away for his own safety.

So why should the guy be removed, for his own safety, what does this say about the protestors..... its just a really sad image to be left with on our National day.......

Back to my original question - does changing the day we "celebrate" change history or the fact that colonization of this country is seen as an invasion.

Plenty of countries were colonized at the expense of the indigenous inhabitants..... does not make it right....

Perhaps Anzac Day is now a better reflection of our Nation, and the 2 days can be combined?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:45 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Yeah fair call.

Im in the any date but Janaury 26 has to be better camp...…..I can see/understand others point of views. My biggest gripe is when people clearly make racist comments or completely hypocritical comments. The biggest one being the 'they should get over it' debate......that same logic could be applied for moving the date.
whufc
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:46 am

MW wrote:Great idea, making it a last Friday of a month or whatever. I just think we need to get it away from Jan all together and use that time (Jan 26) for reflection.

Yep needs to get away from Jan for a fresh start, as one person said yesterday, I look forward to a day when we can all happily celebrate the **** out of Australia Day. For myself I find it hard to celebrate 26 Jan.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby cracka » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:48 am

Corona Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Its a prickly subject, and I upset Bedge last night by not being particularly clear in a post.

Sure change the date, but that does not change history. History, is just that, history.

Did sorry change much for the aboriginal people? I make this comment seriously & not in any jest.... did it, I don't know?

I respect everyone's right to protest, and by and large, what I saw on the TV news last night they were wearing masks & sticking to the covid rules, so good on them kudos there. The so called right wing guy in Melbourne who was arrested (and later released without charge) I'd like to know what he did illegal. Is it illegal to proudly wear Australian flag stuff on Australia Day, or any other day for that matter? Sure he was agitating, and the cops probably took him away for his own safety.

So why should the guy be removed, for his own safety, what does this say about the protestors..... its just a really sad image to be left with on our National day.......

Back to my original question - does changing the day we "celebrate" change history or the fact that colonization of this country is seen as an invasion.

Plenty of countries were colonized at the expense of the indigenous inhabitants..... does not make it right....

Perhaps Anzac Day is now a better reflection of our Nation, and the 2 days can be combined?

The weird thing about Anzac day is that's also a day we (by order of our our British rulers at the time) invaded another country.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby whufc » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:49 am

Corona Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

For mine changing the date doesn't change history and it doesn't change the colonization vs invasion debate. What it does change is that we are ALL able to celebrate everything cricket, hot weather, bbq, boomerangs, thongs, beach, pools, green and gold on day together rather than on a day that clearly and rightfully divides opinion.
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:02 am

whufc wrote:My biggest gripe is when people clearly make racist comments or completely hypocritical comments. The biggest one being the 'they should get over it' debate......that same logic could be applied for moving the date.

Good point.

I find that most people who make the 'we just need to move forward, and not dwell on the past' comments tend, funnily enough, not to be indigenous.

It's a bit easier to take the view that everyone should just build a bridge and get over it if you're not indigenous!!

On a more serious note, I think such arguments reveal an unwillingness to put oneself in the shoes of others, which complicates a number of indigenous affairs issues.

I've never celebrated 26 January because it never had much significance in SA until recently. 26 January is New South Wales Day, i.e. when the colony of NSW was founded in 1788, like how SA was founded on 28 December, 1836. Sure, NSW was first, but I've never understood what significance that would have to the 15 million Australians who don't live in NSW. Just like I wouldn't expect people from interstate to have anything much to do with SA Proclamation Day.

The real Australia Day for me is 1 January, i.e. when we federated in 1901. Bit hard to use 1 January though.

I'm not in favour of using Anzac Day as our national day; Anzac Day is for commemorating the fallen.

Either way, it makes sense to me to have our national day on a day that everyone can celebrate.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:15 am

whufc wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

For mine changing the date doesn't change history and it doesn't change the colonization vs invasion debate. What it does change is that we are ALL able to celebrate everything cricket, hot weather, bbq, boomerangs, thongs, beach, pools, green and gold on day together rather than on a day that clearly and rightfully divides opinion.

Does it?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:31 am

Corona Man wrote:Does it?

What does Australia Day mean to you?
Does the 26th hold a special importance and meaning to you?
Would changing the date impact how you feel towards the occasion?

For me, the date extends beyond Aboriginals, it extends to all our immigrants who have come from a non-British country. The white australia policy - deportation, restrictions, ingrained racism and stereotypes.

Give me a date that Australia can identify as when we as a country began to accept everyone from all different races, religion, sexual preference, gender.

We are a multicultural, diverse and for the most part inclusive nation and yet our history hasn’t always been that way, it’s time we found a moment in the year we can truly appreciate, recognise and celebrate.

Don’t forget the past or our history, it’s always there and should always be learned, passed on and acknowledged - never forget where we have come from..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:41 am

RB wrote:I've never celebrated 26 January because it never had much significance in SA until recently. 26 January is New South Wales Day, i.e. when the colony of NSW was founded in 1788, like how SA was founded on 28 December, 1836. Sure, NSW was first, but I've never understood what significance that would have to the 15 million Australians who don't live in NSW. Just like I wouldn't expect people from interstate to have anything much to do with SA Proclamation Day.

The real Australia Day for me is 1 January, i.e. when we federated in 1901. Bit hard to use 1 January though.

100% agree.

You could use July 9, the date in 1900 that the Commonwealth Constitution was enacted (albeit by the British parliament). :-B
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:02 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Does it?

What does Australia Day mean to you?
Does the 26th hold a special importance and meaning to you?
Would changing the date impact how you feel towards the occasion?

For me, the date extends beyond Aboriginals, it extends to all our immigrants who have come from a non-British country. The white australia policy - deportation, restrictions, ingrained racism and stereotypes.

Give me a date that Australia can identify as when we as a country began to accept everyone from all different races, religion, sexual preference, gender.

We are a multicultural, diverse and for the most part inclusive nation and yet our history hasn’t always been that way, it’s time we found a moment in the year we can truly appreciate, recognise and celebrate.

Don’t forget the past or our history, it’s always there and should always be learned, passed on and acknowledged - never forget where we have come from..

What Does Australia Day mean to me? - Probably the same as it means to many Australians, a day to reflect, a day to appreciate the country we live in, a day to recognize those who have achieved inspiring things - such as the Australia Day Awards.

It's also a day many new Australian commit to Australian Citizenship. Other than that it's a holiday to be enjoyed with family & friends.

I couldn't care less what day of the 365 we pick. Jan 26th is divisive, without doubt....... call me a sceptic, I am not sure any other date won't offend another part of our society. Hopefully I am wrong.
Corona Man
Coach

Postby Trader » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:08 pm

Its an interesting one.

I think any date you want to use, you're going to have issues.
Whatever day we celebrate "Australia", there is going to be an element of people who don't want to celebrate Australia because Australia has a history that was built on an invasion.

I don't understand the pro-date-change types that say Jan 26th isn't an important date, it's only been used since 1994... etc.
If Jan 26th wasn't an important date in Australia's history, then celebrating on a date that doesn't have much history attached to it shouldn't bring up pain.

If you don't like AFLW, you should ignore it, rather than ask for it to be abolished.
If you don't like gay marriage, don't marry another bloke.
If you don't like Australia Day, just ignore it???

(Not so say gay marriage is on the same level as invasion and mass genocide).

I agree with LM that you can't just make it a random date, the date needs to have some significance.
I don't agree with hi-jacking ANZAC day.

I agree that Jan 26th comes with a lot of problems for indigenous Australians whose ancestors struggled through the invasion.
By moving away from Jan 26th, there will be a lot of British descendants who would be feeling the efforts of their ancestors are being ignored, downplayed or shunned from history.

There isn't a good answer IMO.

Personally I think history is full of things we would do differently today. That's progression, that's society improving and growing. But for mine that doesn't mean we re-write history and erase anything that would be embarrassing on todays morale standards and codes.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion