Australian International Summer 2020/21

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer 2020/21

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:39 pm

Trader wrote:I think with the increasing use of the concussion sub, and the modification of the laws of the game in 2017 that allow sub fielders to wicketkeep, together with the difficulties to rush a replacement keeper into a squad with the covid-bubble rules, I think the taking of a second keeper on tour is now almost mandatory.

Therefore, I don't see Carey's selection as any reflection on Paine, but rather the 'new normal'.

They should have, IMO, taken Phillipe to South Africa as the back up and sent Carey to NZ and installed him as the ODI and T20 captain.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:41 pm

Booney wrote:
Trader wrote:I think with the increasing use of the concussion sub, and the modification of the laws of the game in 2017 that allow sub fielders to wicketkeep, together with the difficulties to rush a replacement keeper into a squad with the covid-bubble rules, I think the taking of a second keeper on tour is now almost mandatory.

Therefore, I don't see Carey's selection as any reflection on Paine, but rather the 'new normal'.

They should have, IMO, taken Phillipe to South Africa as the back up and sent Carey to NZ and installed him as the ODI and T20 captain.
The same Philippe that is third string for his own state and yet to play a SS game this season?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:51 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

The same Philippe that is third string for his own state and yet to play a SS game this season?

If it's purely as a back up and we've got an eye to the future then yes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:07 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:How's the stupid FB thing I seen this morning from the Melbourne Sun IIRC, it was labelling Finch as possibly the worlds best captain and they should consider him taking over the captaincy of the test side, batting potentially at 5.

Probably written by S.K. Warne

Far out. Finch can't get his pad out of the way. That was proven two years ago by the Indians. Massive LBW candidate. While he has in the past shown himself to be a good captain there wasn't much evidence of that when the wheels fell off for Melbourne Red this summer.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:08 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

If it's purely as a back up and we've got an eye to the future then yes.

Carey at 5 could work I reckon. As they say in the commercial, can't we have both. No to Phillipe in South Africa. The Kiwi white ball tour is a better maiden journey.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:11 pm

stampy wrote:henriques back in the test squad, 33yo, 4 tests batting avg 23, FFS.......

Agree, strange selection.
Do we have any young spinners going forward for test cricket?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:19 pm

shoe boy wrote:
stampy wrote:henriques back in the test squad, 33yo, 4 tests batting avg 23, FFS.......

Swepson is 27
Sangha is 13

This Prospect lad has looked ok during the BBL, not much else on the horizon though.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:31 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Swepson is 27
Sangha is 13

This Prospect lad has looked ok during the BBL, not much else on the horizon though.

Who was/is the Prospect lad, was it Hatzogoloololoo?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:18 pm

Booney wrote:

How do you know who Phillipe is? You dont watch big bash and he doesnt play shield yet you want him on a Test tour, strange.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Corona Man » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:00 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Booney wrote:

How do you know who Phillipe is? You dont watch big bash and he doesnt play shield yet you want him on a Test tour, strange.

Checkmate.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:00 pm

Travis with a brilliant innings tonight...[emoji849]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:22 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Travis with a brilliant innings tonight...[emoji849]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Other than his brilliant NYE knock has he ever performed when needed?
Seems to always go missing when he’s needed.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:55 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Swepson is 27
Sangha is 13

Who was/is the Prospect lad, was it Hatzogoloololoo?

That's the one. I like his endeavor and enthusiasm.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:00 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Booney wrote:

I read, it helps you become more edumacated.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/th ... 56w93.html

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/feature ... 2021-01-29

I don't follow soccer at all and I know who Lionel Messi is, only a moron would think you have to watch or immerse yourself in the sport to know who plays it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dinglinga75 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:33 pm

Booney wrote:
I don't follow soccer at all and I know who Lionel Messi is, only a moron would think you have to watch or immerse yourself in the sport to know who plays it.

bit of a difference between Messi - Football ( soccer ) to Phillipe - Cricket
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Dinglinga75 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Hooray!

Yes, absolutely there is, and as little as I follow soccer I do follow Australian cricket, am interested (particularly at the moment) who the next generation is and who I should be keeping ( pun intended ) an eye on.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:24 pm

Booney wrote:
Dinglinga75 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Hooray!

Yes, absolutely there is, and as little as I follow soccer I do follow Australian cricket, am interested (particularly at the moment) who the next generation is and who I should be keeping ( pun intended ) an eye on.

Makes it even stranger then that you would want Phillipe in the Test team. Are you really that stupid?
Not sure anyone has ever been picked in the Aussie team that cant make their State team.
Why stop at Phillipe, Green could replace Lyon, Ross might solve our middle order issues, Laughlin bowls a decent slower ball.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:15 am

daysofourlives wrote:Makes it even stranger then that you would want Phillipe in the Test team. Are you really that stupid?

Booney wrote:They should have, IMO, taken Phillipe to South Africa as the back up and sent Carey to NZ and installed him as the ODI and T20 captain.

Apologies, I should have typed slower.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:15 am

Booney wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Makes it even stranger then that you would want Phillipe in the Test team. Are you really that stupid?

Booney wrote:They should have, IMO, taken Phillipe to South Africa as the back up and sent Carey to NZ and installed him as the ODI and T20 captain.

Carey will play in South Africa IMO.
Surely playing tests is better
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:23 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Carey will play in South Africa IMO.
Surely playing tests is better

Batting at 5? I'd be surprised if they did that, but stranger things have happened.

Absolutely playing Tests are better (if they play him) but I've got one eye on the next Test captain and it would be easier in instate Carey after a period of captaining the ODI/T20 sides than just bring him straight in, if indeed he is the next Test captain. They might be happy handing it to Cummins, who knows.

Given the tour of South Africa is 3 Tests the back up 'keeper won't have a lot to do barring injury, so be it Phillipe or Inglis or Harper they could get one of them in a touring party and give them a taste of the next level.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket