2021 Player movements

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2021 Player movements

Postby Hazydog » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:47 pm

JK wrote:
Hazydog wrote:Apologies if I missed previous debate on this.. but is my memory correct that Luke Surman played with Norwood last season? If so was he a required player entering into this season, was he shown the door or did he “retire” and then lob up at Alberton?

Has battled with injury ever since returning from Hawthorn. Was absolutely in our plans for season 2021 but had his head turned. TBH I don't think his body allowed him to be considered reliable enough so I'm not too fussed (until he starts clunking against us).

So now we not only have an AFL team adding a player to their main list and acknowledging he will play SANFL only, we also have them able to poach a required player from an SANFL Club... it’s the gift that keeps giving isn’t it?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:51 pm

Hazydog wrote:
JK wrote:
Hazydog wrote:Apologies if I missed previous debate on this.. but is my memory correct that Luke Surman played with Norwood last season? If so was he a required player entering into this season, was he shown the door or did he “retire” and then lob up at Alberton?

Has battled with injury ever since returning from Hawthorn. Was absolutely in our plans for season 2021 but had his head turned. TBH I don't think his body allowed him to be considered reliable enough so I'm not too fussed (until he starts clunking against us).

So now we not only have an AFL team adding a player to their main list and acknowledging he will play SANFL only, we also have them able to poach a required player from an SANFL Club... it’s the gift that keeps giving isn’t it?

No gun held to his head.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:56 pm

Booney wrote:
Hazydog wrote:
JK wrote:

No gun held to his head.
Shouldn’t come to that though. No player who has been on a AFL or state league list for the last 2 years should be eligible for the AFL reserves. Marquee player should be scrapped aswell
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:58 pm

Jim05 wrote:Shouldn’t come to that though. No player who has been on a AFL or state league list for the last 2 years should be eligible for the AFL reserves. Marquee player should be scrapped aswell

Oh please, he's played 5,3 and 10 matches at league level in the last 3 years, shit or get off the pan.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:27 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Shouldn’t come to that though. No player who has been on a AFL or state league list for the last 2 years should be eligible for the AFL reserves. Marquee player should be scrapped aswell

Oh please, he's played 5,3 and 10 matches at league level in the last 3 years, shit or get off the pan.

I am reasonably okay with Luke signing with Port. The one I do object to is Tyson Goldsack though. The AFL draft is solely for drafting players to play in the AFL. No club should be allowed to use one of their draft picks to simply have them play in a lower level of competition. If you are going to allow this, then, in fairness, every traditional SANFL club MUST be allowed to take part in the AFL draft and select the same number of players from it that Port or Adelaide draft simply for their SANFL teams.
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Jim05 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:31 pm

Booney wrote:

There is 7 other genuine SANFL clubs he could go to. AFL reserve sides shouldn’t be taking listed players
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:38 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Booney wrote:

I am reasonably okay with Luke signing with Port. The one I do object to is Tyson Goldsack though. The AFL draft is solely for drafting players to play in the AFL. No club should be allowed to use one of their draft picks to simply have them play in a lower level of competition. If you are going to allow this, then, in fairness, every traditional SANFL club MUST be allowed to take part in the AFL draft and select the same number of players from it that Port or Adelaide draft simply for their SANFL teams.
Cheers

He wasn't drafted to play SANFL primarily, he was drafted to work his salary as a development coach out of the reduced "soft cap" ( off field cap ) and into the main cap ( on field ), the fact he can play SANFL is a bonus. Good, hey?

:D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:39 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

There is 7 other genuine SANFL clubs he could go to. AFL reserve sides shouldn’t be taking listed players

You didn't play him, he looked for more opportunity, simple really.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

I still don’t believe the AFL clubs should get access to them. Either way let’s hope his time there is a failure
Jim05
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Booney wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Booney wrote:

Cheers

He wasn't drafted to play SANFL primarily, he was drafted to work his salary as a development coach out of the reduced "soft cap" ( off field cap ) and into the main cap ( on field ), the fact he can play SANFL is a bonus. Good, hey?

:D

He, in my understanding, will still be the only AFL player ever drafted in an AFL draft for the purpose of not playing AFL - it really should not have been allowed to happen. Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby JK » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:32 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Sorry mate, but thats completely wrong. When he was fit and could string more than 3 games together he played league. Sadly his body didn't allow for that.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Hazydog » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:58 pm

Surmans abilities and opportunities are not the point here. It’s the fact it could be the thin edge of a fat wedge. We know that when it comes to Port playing in the SANFL alongside their AFL big brother they will unashamedly take liberties and find a way to get what they want regardless of any previous promise to “play to the line.”
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby TDJ44 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:44 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
whufc wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:will pm you

Chuck us one as well

Is it a secret?

at this stage, yes. Nothing concrete yet.

Are we getting closer to any recruiting announcements.
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby goddy11 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:52 pm

TDJ44 wrote: quote]

https://cdfc.com.au/news/recruiting-upd ... ZYWUfmQLmU
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby southernbulldog » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:17 pm

Already knew about these recruits i think TDJ was referring to a possible another couple that maybe coming although that is looking increasingly unlikely by the looks of it
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby MJP1993 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:45 am

Just saw this on Facebook Hunter is a saint now
I think that’s the fourth ruckman south have lost to the AFL
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby TDJ44 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:54 am

goddy11 wrote:
TDJ44 wrote: quote]

https://cdfc.com.au/news/recruiting-upd ... ZYWUfmQLmU

Old news...
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jim05 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:56 am

MJP1993 wrote:Just saw this on Facebook Hunter is a saint now
Yep, done deal.
I doubt he plays a game for them and will just fill up their VFL side all year
Jim05
Coach

Postby goddy11 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:34 am

Jim05 wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:Just saw this on Facebook Hunter is a saint now
Yep, done deal.
I doubt he plays a game for them and will just fill up their VFL side all year

He was a massively better player for SA than the AC. Makes you wonder if the AFL rigid structure of playing favourites in certain positions works better that the way SANFL clubs allow players to flourish . Mitch Grigg being an example of a player thriving when allowed to play his best position.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby gazzamagoo » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:32 pm

southernbulldog wrote:Already knew about these recruits i think TDJ was referring to a possible another couple that maybe coming although that is looking increasingly unlikely by the looks of it

Will know more after the bbq sunday night
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL