North
Norwood
West

Glenelg
Power reserves
Sturt
Central’s
Crows reserves
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Re: SANFL 2021 SEASON

Postby Mr Fuller » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:12 am

The major things for me are

1. I reckon West will be the big improvers this year
2. Sturt will fall quite a few places
3. Crows look to have a very weak team due to so many young players on their list who may eventually be stars but wouldn't normally be playing league footy at this point.

All other teams will be be around the mark (give or take one rung) of where they ended last year.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby blueandwhite » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:37 am

The AFL continues its arrogance and ignorance..
They have recently programmed the 2021 National U/19 championships for September this year.
Thus ensuring that any elite U/19 player will be unavailable to SANFL clubs in September.
It is predicted South Adelaide will have 3 players in the top 10 national U/19s at this stage.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby MatteeG » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:35 pm

DOC wrote:
MatteeG wrote:1. Eagles
2. North
3. Glenelg
4. Norwood
5. Sturt
6. Norwood
7. West
8. Centrals

9. Port*
10. Crows*

* Wont play due to COVID concerns/restrictions

Which Norwood is South?

LOL. The 4th one. Would have you higher if you hang on to Hunter.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby DOC » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:39 pm

It is a major problem facing all second tier football clubs.

The last few years have seen AFL clubs become overly reliant on state league talent to top up their lists, with the often false dawn of a second opportunity at the top level having a significant effect on some of the country’s proudest football competitions.

Whether it be the pre season draft plucking 13 of the best state league players in the nation away from their finals pushing teams in 2019 or the continuous offers of pre-season training positions to this top end second-tier talent, many have labelled the system a farce and completely unnecessary.

One club that has felt the full brunt of AFL intrusion over recent years has been South Adelaide, which in the space of just two seasons lost stand out big men Keegan Brooksby and Michael Knoll to teams in need of insurance at the ruck position.

Having rebounded from those two blows and building an impressive list for the 2021 season, the Panthers again find themselves at risk of losing their number one ruckman with former Crow Paul Hunter being offered an opportunity to train with St Kilda.

Speaking with The Inner Sanctum, chief executive officer of the South Adelaide Football Club Neill Sharpe says losing marquee players such as Hunter is something state league teams have become resigned to.

“I suppose we are getting a little bit used to it given the recent history,” Sharpe told The Inner Sanctum.

“I think it’s initially deflating but then you have to get on with it, it’s something that doesn’t seem to be going away so we just have to deal with it as best we can.

“It’s flattening for our coaching staff, our players and our supporters when it does happen, and is definitely met with frustration by a wide number of people from South Adelaide.”

Although he does not question the merit of giving players such as Hunter a second chance, Sharpe says the supplementary selection process has rarely given prospects a genuine opportunity to contribute.

“The difficult part is you want to see players such as Paul get another opportunity at AFL level,” he said.

“The other side of it however is that history shows us that those players taken in this process are more about insurance and less about genuine opportunity.”

Given the licence to invite players to train at any point through the pre-season period, star state league recruits such as Hunter, Jordan Gallucci and Majak Daw have been forced away from the clubs that fought incredibly hard to secure their services.

Sharpe believes this system provides AFL clubs an opportunity to be lazy in their drafting processes, much to the detriment of second tier competitions.

“It gives AFL clubs a mulligan for something they missed out on by doing their work 12 months before,” he said.

“I don’t see how it has enhanced the game in any form, there are a couple of good examples of guys who have come in and played a lot of footy but you would think if club’s were doing their jobs prior to that these players would have been picked up in November drafts.

“I suppose my concern for a competition like the SANFL, which is still very parochial, is what impact it will have on the clubs in this league if it does keep happening.

“I can see the short term benefits [to the players], but I just wonder what damage it does to the state league competitions who have a bit of pride in what they are looking to do in the long term.”

The impact of this recruiting by AFL clubs is best seen through the results of the 2019 midseason draft, where a number of teams in the middle of strong seasons had their campaigns heavily disrupted by the departure of key players.

“At that time [halfway through the 2019 season] we were sitting second or third on the ladder and had the state ruckman [Michael Knoll],” he said.

“Following that in 2019 we missed out on the finals so that’s the impact it had on us, there were a couple of examples of guys who played some good footy [from that draft] but if clubs did their jobs to a certain level prior they should have already been on lists in the first place.”

However, despite the risks associated with recruiting top end state league talent, Sharpe says the Panthers recruiting strategy will not change as a result of this current landscape.

“We do talk about it [players being taken by AFL clubs] and think about whether we have to go about things differently,” he said.

“At the end of the day though, you take the best players available, you can’t crystal ball what’s going to happen and say let’s pick a bloke that’s not good enough to make sure we don’t lose any talent.

“We are always keen to get the best players even if it does shoot you in the foot sometimes, we just hope that it comes off more times than not.”
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby MatteeG » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:39 pm

blueandwhite wrote:The AFL continues its arrogance and ignorance..
They have recently programmed the 2021 National U/19 championships for September this year.
Thus ensuring that any elite U/19 player will be unavailable to SANFL clubs in September.
It is predicted South Adelaide will have 3 players in the top 10 national U/19s at this stage.

Amazing. Those 3 lads will certainly be in the panthers best lineup. Not to mention other SANFL teams and WAFL teams also. What a farce.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Groucho » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:14 am

Isaya Mackenzie. West Coast Eagles :evil:

Ruptured his ACL missed the entire 2020 season. Discarded by WCE. Hoped to see him playing this season but has left the club to play at a lower level.

Thank you AFL. :evil:
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:06 pm

Horne, Roberts & ?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby beef » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:18 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Horne, Roberts & ?

Draper maybe but not sure top 10
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby goddy11 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:43 am

Anyone watch the Port v Crows SANFL trial. Both these side will be very good this year. Ports top up players add to them.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Groucho » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:29 am

Power reserves wearing silver power guernsey not prison bars. R.I.P. prison bars.
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby Alex » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:13 pm

The SANFL crows jumper for this season looks a lot better than the old one
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:49 am

Alex wrote:The SANFL crows jumper for this season looks a lot better than the old one

Umm, why dont they both just wear their AFL guernsey and stop ******* around
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Alex » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:11 am

daysofourlives wrote:
Alex wrote:The SANFL crows jumper for this season looks a lot better than the old one

Crows maybe but why would Port Magpies, a foundation club of the SANFL not want to honour their heritage?
Alex

Been liked: 16 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:47 am

Groucho wrote:Power reserves wearing silver power guernsey not prison bars. R.I.P. prison bars.
I don’t think their new SANFL guernseys have arrived yet. A lot of clubs having troubles with suppliers
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Groucho » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:10 am

Alex wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Crows maybe but why would Port Magpies, a foundation club of the SANFL not want to honour their heritage?

You're not the real original magpies.

PA fvcked off to the AFL and a new team Port Adelaide Magpies was created to play in the SANFL and has sincce been taken over by PA Power.

You are Port Power AFL Reserves team.
Groucho
Under 18s

Postby mickey » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:56 am

Groucho wrote:
Alex wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

PA fvcked off to the AFL and a new team Port Adelaide Magpies was created to play in the SANFL and has sincce been taken over by PA Power.

So your saying that the PA team playing in the AFL was the 1 formed in 1870?
That doesn't fit with the other argument on here saying that the AFL team wasn't the real PA and was formed in the 90s....

You guys need to get together and work out what version you want to use when having a crack....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 312 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Pseudo » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:36 am

Jim05 wrote:
Groucho wrote:Power reserves wearing silver power guernsey not prison bars. R.I.P. prison bars.
I don’t think their new SANFL guernseys have arrived yet. A lot of clubs having troubles with suppliers

Couldn't they just wear last year's guernseys? :lol:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby RB » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:41 am

mickey wrote:
Groucho wrote:
Alex wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:[quote="Alex"]The SANFL crows jumper for this season looks a lot better than the old one

So your saying that the PA team playing in the AFL was the 1 formed in 1870?
That doesn't fit with the other argument on here saying that the AFL team wasn't the real PA and was formed in the 90s....

You guys need to get together and work out what version you want to use when having a crack....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk[/quote]I'll make it easy for you:

Port Power (AFL team) est. 1997
Power Reserves (SANFL) est. 2014
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:59 am

Pseudo wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Couldn't they just wear last year's guernseys? :lol:
Different manufacturer this year I believe and I know some clubs have it in their apparel contracts that they can’t wear previous suppliers.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL