Smithfield
No votes
West Croydon
9%

Total votes : 33

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 5

Postby redyellow&blue » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:44 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
and as for you, They can’t “make” anyone do anything in this case and especially after last year when who knows how everyone has been affected by CV19. I'm pretty sure you'd be having a whinge if you were forced to go up without any prior opportunity to prepare or recruit.

Actually, no, wouldn't be whinging at all. If my club had lost a GF, and or finished top 3, you would be doing your club disservice by not wanting to take the chance in a higher division. better opportunities to recruit, better level of footy, you're actually showing your members, juniors, sponsors (all of whom your/anyones club answers to) you want to push forward and be the best you can be, and bring the best you can to your club.

I personally would rather go up and lose. Shows some gumption and belief in your club and it's abilities.

And regardless of any excuses, preparing, reviewing and recruiting for your next season should start no later than round 12 of any given year, irrespective of where you are on the ladder. If you're suggesting that coming into march, the time prior to that is not enough to prepare or recruit, that would be eyebrow raising don't you think?

Just commonsense really.

I am well aware of Heccies, prior to one of their supporters actually posting in this thread, wanting to go up from D6 to D5, but that depends on how the league can restructure d5 through to d7 now with Smithfield wanting to pull out.
redyellow&blue
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:36 am

redyellow&blue wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
and as for you, They can’t “make” anyone do anything in this case and especially after last year when who knows how everyone has been affected by CV19. I'm pretty sure you'd be having a whinge if you were forced to go up without any prior opportunity to prepare or recruit.

Actually, no, wouldn't be whinging at all. If my club had lost a GF, and or finished top 3, you would be doing your club disservice by not wanting to take the chance in a higher division. better opportunities to recruit, better level of footy, you're actually showing your members, juniors, sponsors (all of whom your/anyones club answers to) you want to push forward and be the best you can be, and bring the best you can to your club.

I personally would rather go up and lose. Shows some gumption and belief in your club and it's abilities.

And regardless of any excuses, preparing, reviewing and recruiting for your next season should start no later than round 12 of any given year, irrespective of where you are on the ladder. If you're suggesting that coming into march, the time prior to that is not enough to prepare or recruit, that would be eyebrow raising don't you think?

Just commonsense really.

I am well aware of Heccies, prior to one of their supporters actually posting in this thread, wanting to go up from D6 to D5, but that depends on how the league can restructure d5 through to d7 now with Smithfield wanting to pull out.

Do we honestly think one division would make a whole lot of difference on the recruiting front......genuine question as ive never recruited before.

The way players have jumped around in recent years from league to league, division to division that there are many other factor$ that attract a player to the club rather than whether its divvy 5 or 6.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby scottroo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:24 am

Rosewater down and Smithfield to C5

Welcome heccies
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby redyellow&blue » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:41 am

whufc wrote:
Do we honestly think one division would make a whole lot of difference on the recruiting front......genuine question as ive never recruited before.

The way players have jumped around in recent years from league to league, division to division that there are many other factor$ that attract a player to the club rather than whether its divvy 5 or 6.

TBH there is a few factors at play. we did some studies and we found a disconnect from D1 to D4, then from D5 to D7. While money and the right coach is always a serious factor, we found that there was a psychological break point for numbers of quality footballers coming from the top 4 divisions into the bottom 3. People move freely between D1 and D4, and freely Between D5 and D7, but not as freely the other way.

Yes there is always the variable of a few players, but on the whole it seems difficult to move them out of the top 4 divisions. and thats reflected in the transfers. Mates also have a huge bearing on other mates.

So you gotta be creative and look outside the norm.
redyellow&blue
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby BZB27 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:13 am

scottroo wrote:Rosewater down and Smithfield to C5

Welcome heccies

So 9 team div 5 comp is the go then?
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:24 am

27 clubs standing from D5 to D7 so 9 in each enables a simple fixture of playing each other twice and 2 BYE's. Pretty sure this is what the league will prefer to stay as.

Any decision to boost D5 and even D6 to 10 teams would leave 8 or 7 in D7 which just means having to get funky with the back end of the D7 fixture like they had to do in 2019 which isn't ideal.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:25 am

BZB27 wrote:

Welcome heccies

So 9 team div 5 comp is the go then?

9 teams in each of divisions 5 to 7.

Kudos to the AdFL for acting so swiftly and re-adjusting the programming.

Now we can wait for the backlash from the clubs that have a bye either side of a designated league bye round or those who have a bye leading up to finals with a potential 3 week break if finishing top.

Not much else they can do.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:26 am

redyellow&blue wrote:TBH there is a few factors at play. we did some studies and we found a disconnect from D1 to D4, then from D5 to D7. While money and the right coach is always a serious factor, we found that there was a psychological break point for numbers of quality footballers coming from the top 4 divisions into the bottom 3. People move freely between D1 and D4, and freely Between D5 and D7, but not as freely the other way..

Probably because the standard of footy drops away significantly as you go down the divisions.. it's not just about the individuals club, but opposition.

Also could be wrong but in D6 and D7 it seems players are more likely to club hop to remain a big fish in that grade, and get some $$ along the way because they're good for that level - but rarely go higher because they're either not capable or willing to test themselves.

So in short, yes i think the division plays a significant factor in being able to recruit players.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:28 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Now we can wait for the backlash from the clubs that have a bye either side of a designated league bye round or those who have a bye leading up to finals with a potential 3 week break if finishing top..

Someone, somewhere is always complaining about something so **** em.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:31 am

New draw up
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:56 am

So a question on C5 having Smithfield in it, do teams that normally drop to one team and go into these divisions usually smash everyone and win a premiership? I know it’s C Grade

Also just lost 13% of home match venue for the season
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:00 pm

redyellow&blue wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Just commonsense really.

JK just called, he wants to know if he should pencil you in for the promotion then, put your money where your mouth is* ;)

* JK didn't actually just call
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:25 pm

Where have all the Smithfield blokes gone...….I haven't seen to many of players bobbing up on announcements elsewhere. Purely guess maybe Angle Vale as I haven't seen Angle Vale make too many signings as yet.

Would imagine if it wasn't Angle Vale it would be a mixture of EP, Elizabeth and then country, wouldn't think Central United would have any points left to snaffle a few.

Maybe Willaston could snag a few with a couple of connections there through cricket.

Im only guessing though as I don't have a clue.
whufc
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:36 pm

whufc wrote:Where have all the Smithfield blokes gone...….I haven't seen to many of players bobbing up on announcements elsewhere. Purely guess maybe Angle Vale as I haven't seen Angle Vale make too many signings as yet.

Would imagine if it wasn't Angle Vale it would be a mixture of EP, Elizabeth and then country, wouldn't think Central United would have any points left to snaffle a few.

Maybe Willaston could snag a few with a couple of connections there through cricket.

trials won't start for another week or so, now that it's official you might see dribs and drabs filtering through the clearances over the next 7 days or so.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:49 pm

whufc wrote:Where have all the Smithfield blokes gone...….I haven't seen to many of players bobbing up on announcements elsewhere. Purely guess maybe Angle Vale as I haven't seen Angle Vale make too many signings as yet.

I guess there will be a bit of a scramble now, numbers had been poor on the track from what I gather and obviously many hadn't committed to playing just yet.

I knew the twins and Sugar were heading out to Angle Vale, perhaps the McIver's and Stephens might follow being zero pointers out there, Owen went to Elizabeth and I'm hearing the Units might be the beneficiary of a few. A few are heading out to Houghton (including Adam Varcoe) and I reckon some are heading back to their pre-covid clubs.

You're right though, Eastern Park and Elizabeth will no doubt gain a couple and I'm sure some will end up at Francis Road in the black and gold, Harvs won't waste much time with his connections.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:51 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I guess there will be a bit of a scramble now, numbers had been poor on the track from what I gather and obviously many hadn't committed to playing just yet.

I knew the twins and Sugar were heading out to Angle Vale, perhaps the McIver's and Stephens might follow being zero pointers out there, Owen went to Elizabeth and I'm hearing the Units might be the beneficiary of a few. A few are heading out to Houghton (including Adam Varcoe) and I reckon some are heading back to their pre-covid clubs.

You're right though, Eastern Park and Elizabeth will no doubt gain a couple and I'm sure some will end up at Francis Road in the black and gold, Harvs won't waste much time with his connections.

Yeah I thinks Harvs may have had some inside knowledge judging by his facebook post yesterday, essentially a call out to those undecided yet.
whufc
Coach

Postby football tragic » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:07 pm

These blokes wouldn't be playing for a sausage in bread and a coke so will come down the clubs who have some coin and more importantly points as these blokes are all 3 so most wouldn't be able to accommodate many.
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby Bluedemon » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:27 pm

Brodlach wrote:So a question on C5 having Smithfield in it, do teams that normally drop to one team and go into these divisions usually smash everyone and win a premiership? I know it’s C Grade

Also just lost 13% of home match venue for the season

depends on how many of the A grade players stay or go to another club
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:29 pm

football tragic wrote:These blokes wouldn't be playing for a sausage in bread and a coke so will come down the clubs who have some coin and more importantly points as these blokes are all 3 so most wouldn't be able to accommodate many.

Apart from the ones I mentioned, Jamie Lane, Lingy and Luke Buckby would be the most sought after, Luke I reckon grew up playing for Elizabeth or possibly the Units, Lingy might be a zero at Angle Vale.

I wonder how many are allowed to stay and play C's?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Hector » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:36 pm

Welcome heccies

Hello :D

We are looking forward to the challenge, especially Lockleys Round 1
Hector