Smithfield
No votes
West Croydon
9%

Total votes : 33

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 5

Postby BZB27 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:37 pm

Brodlach wrote:New draw up

The draw got changed again. We now have the bye in round 1 now. We have a good last weeks 4 of the 6 at home.
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Dutchy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:17 pm

An Adelaide Footy League club is vowing to return to the field in 2022 after withdrawing from this year’s campaign — a month before the season gets underway.

A lack of players, volunteers and sponsors has forced Smithfield to pull the pin on its 2021 campaign.

Panthers football director Dwayne Nisbet said closing the clubrooms and bar for three months during SA’s first coronavirus wave last year had hurt the club financially.

Fielding a division five and reserves team during a shortened 2020 season due to COVID-19 also left many players and volunteers mentally exhausted, according to Nisbet.

“A lot of this is to deal with the pandemic and a lack of numbers with support, players, volunteers and everything else on the back of that,” Nisbet said.

“It’s sort of been a domino effect from the pandemic.

“Last year was one of the toughest years we’ve ever had and I know we are not the only club in that position.

“All our volunteers were in the 55-65 age bracket and a lot of them weren’t around last year so it put a lot of pressure on the few people who were there.

“Then heading into this year, our coach had major surgery and morale was down, so we didn’t have the players.

“We haven’t had the numbers on the track and we haven’t had good enough numbers to field two teams.”

Nisbet said the club could have the numbers for a C grade side but league rules required two teams to be fielded.

He labelled this year as a “rebuild phase” and hoped players and volunteers would come on board for next year to help the Panthers return stronger.

“It happened back in 2010 — an identical situation with players leaving — then five years after that enjoyed the most success in our club’s 108-year history,” Nisbet said.

“We won back-to-back premierships (division seven in 2014 and then six in 2015) and went up three division in three years.

“It’s not all doom and gloom for us, this will give us some time to reset and set ourselves up to have two teams next year.”

Smithfield will still have a female side play in the Adelaide Footy League women’s division five competition and its junior teams will also continue.

Meanwhile, Rosewater has dropped to the sixth tier from the fifth and Hectorville will take its place in division five.

Adelaide Footy League chief executive John Kernahan was disappointed Smithfield would not be part of the competition this year.

But would “look to engage with Smithfield as the 2021 unfolds to see what their appetite is to re-emerge for 2022”.

“Smithfield have worked extremely hard in the last three or four years from the ashes of period of time they were less than satisfied being associated with,” Kernahan said.

“It is also inherent of what is generally believed to be an overpopulation of clubs in that belt of Adelaide.

“However, it also highlights why we have recently introduced a regulation of not accepting start up clubs to our competition while we have existing clubs under the pump to remain sustainable.”

Although there was no relegation and promotion in 2020 due to the coronavirus, Kernahan said Rosewater had struggled post COVID-19 and it was in the club’s best interest to move down a division.

“Anecdotally it would appear they (Rosewater) are competing for the same players as neighbour Portland who have re-entered the competition in 2021,” Kernahan said.

“Hectorville had indicated as early as the days following their premiership win in 2020 that they would accept promotion if offered.

“Through unfortunate circumstances, the silver lining for them is they get their chance to compete in a higher division due to Smithfield’s withdrawal and a wish from Rosewater to be graded in division six.”

The Adelaide Footy League season starts on April 10.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby scottroo » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:28 pm

100% of the clubs I’ve spoken to who pay players, said the bank accounts after a covid year were as healthy as they’ve ever been.

I assume Smithfield don’t pay players and the loss of bar takings hurt their bottom line
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Brodlach » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:27 pm

So they are not having a C Grade?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times

Postby OnBaller » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:00 pm

scottroo wrote:100% of the clubs I’ve spoken to who pay players, said the bank accounts after a covid year were as healthy as they’ve ever been.

I assume Smithfield don’t pay players and the loss of bar takings hurt their bottom line

They pay players.
OnBaller
Mini-League

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Bluedemon » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:05 pm

Brodlach wrote:So they are not having a C Grade?

from what i had read is that they arent having a C grade side, maybe also due to the league rules that you need to have 2 teams as a minimum in the league.
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 97 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Brodlach » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:30 pm

Bluedemon wrote:
Brodlach wrote:So they are not having a C Grade?

from what i had read is that they arent having a C grade side, maybe also due to the league rules that you need to have 2 teams as a minimum in the league.

Now taken out of the C Grade fixtures, they were still in after A and B were removed
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:27 pm

From my understanding there are some stipulations that they have to adhere to if they proceed with just a C Grade team, I don’t know what they are, they are between the AdFL and the SFC.
I gather they are trying to remain alive with one team for this year so I guess we’ll know within a week or so.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Yank Man » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:19 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:From my understanding there are some stipulations that they have to adhere to if they proceed with just a C Grade team, I don’t know what they are, they are between the AdFL and the SFC.
I gather they are trying to remain alive with one team for this year so I guess we’ll know within a week or so.

I’m really in favour of struggling clubs fielding one team through the C divisions to help them rebuild for next year.
I mean if Blackwood can field a solo team in C3 and their A and B grade stay in the Hills league, then does that spell double standards. I’m sure the ADFL executive would be working closely with Smithfield to find a suitable solution.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Brodlach » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:24 pm

Yank Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:From my understanding there are some stipulations that they have to adhere to if they proceed with just a C Grade team, I don’t know what they are, they are between the AdFL and the SFC.

I’m really in favour of struggling clubs fielding one team through the C divisions to help them rebuild for next year.
I mean if Blackwood can field a solo team in C3 and their A and B grade stay in the Hills league, then does that spell double standards. I’m sure the ADFL executive would be working closely with Smithfield to find a suitable solution.

I’m a bit each way, feel for the C Grade players who will probably face players that should playing A or B grade.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:57 am

Yank Man wrote:

Is there any evidence of teams dropping back to one side and then coming back into the fold with 2?

I suspect once you are down to one you are fighting off the inevitable
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:10 pm

Yank Man wrote:

Blackwood have a womens team and theyve been allowed back into a C grade with view to them bringing A/B grade over too.

I dare say that Smiffies have probably been asked to supply a team list by the league and if it's full of A grade players then they may stick them in as a solo D7. People are going to bitch and whinge whichever way the league decides this will go

My concern with the above is = both clubs have already had their season as one club before. How many chances do they get?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby The Bedge » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:09 pm

Footy Chick wrote:My concern with the above is = both clubs have already had their season as one club before. How many chances do they get?

Sadly this is what happens when you have limited volunteers and a few people carry the bulk of the workload.. eventually they get burnt out, and people don't step up.

This isn't exclusive to Smithfield either, it's turning into a large problem in all sports across the board - especially the clubs that aren't blessed to be as big as some like TTG, PNU etc.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4000 times

Postby Yank Man » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:36 am

Footy Chick wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

Blackwood have a womens team and theyve been allowed back into a C grade with view to them bringing A/B grade over too.

I dare say that Smiffies have probably been asked to supply a team list by the league and if it's full of A grade players then they may stick them in as a solo D7. People are going to bitch and whinge whichever way the league decides this will go

My concern with the above is = both clubs have already had their season as one club before. How many chances do they get?

Can’t see Blackwood wanting to leave the Hills comp. So would they have to submit a list to the league also. What I know about them is the team will be a genuine C grade, but surely they would be required to have a list of say 30. Bit of wait and see I guess.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby jo172 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:05 pm

Blackwood fielded a standalone side in D8 circa 2014 as a notional C Grade
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby OnBaller » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:50 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

Is there any evidence of teams dropping back to one side and then coming back into the fold with 2?

Happened to west Croydon I’m pretty sure players left for Woodville south and flinders park.
Dropped back to one team
OnBaller
Mini-League

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby The Old Fellow » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:26 pm

OnBaller wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

Happened to west Croydon I’m pretty sure players left for Woodville south and flinders park.
Dropped back to one team

Mitchell Park had Flinders Uni as their "B" for one season and Salisbury West had North Pines as their "B"s
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Arch44 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:09 am

OnBaller wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

Dropped back to one team

Certainly did in the early 2000s for 1 year. Some the guys that stuck around I have heard say it was some of the best times they have had off field at the club.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:15 am

Arch44 wrote:
Certainly did in the early 2000s for 1 year. Some the guys that stuck around I have heard say it was some of the best times they have had off field at the club.

Sounds like what Smithfield went through, they won one game for the season but the comradeship was brilliant, as was the following and Saturday nights at the club, they hired a bus for most away games by all reports.

From what I've seen on social media, if they are able to field a side this year they will be of a C grade standard, they're aiming at survival over success, they still have a women's team and 3 junior sides.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:41 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Yank Man wrote:

I reckon St Paul's Old Scholars back in 2002 dropped from DIv 4 (about to relegated to div 5) to fielding 1 team (div 10 i think it was called back then). Then in 2 or 3 years we fielded 2 sides in Div 7. Hopefully someone can support me on this.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League