SANFL 2021 SEASON

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2021 SEASON

Postby TDJ44 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:44 am

southernbulldog wrote:Surprised we are $13 thought we would be a lot longer than that. I think West will better than the odds showing

Should be $31
TDJ44
Under 16s

Has liked: 193 times
Been liked: 37 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:12 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:Will say one thing about Eagles fans tbough... they are loyal. Even with the success they have had over the last twenty years, they still have the smallest supporter base of any club (bar the Crows Ressies). All other clubs tend to have supporters come out of the woodwork when they have success, ourselves included.
Cheers

That's the worrying thing, they still can't get fans to attend even with success. Just poking a bit of fun anyway, seen as they seemed really angry the other day.[/quote]

This is a bad argument. No club is increasing their support base over the years since the introduction of Crows regardless of how many premierships they win. Average support reflected by crowd numbers for all teams is showing an overall trend downward clearly due to waning SANFL interest caused by the AFL.

A better metric to consider is which club has had the smallest leakage in support base over the year and whether this is accelerating or slowing. The Eagles never had a big support base to begin with. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the decline in crowd numbers for Eagles has been far less than for clubs with historically larger fan bases (like Glenelg) but who have been poor performance since the introduction of the Crows (like Glenelg).[/quote]

These are exactly the same metrics when it comes down to it. Both look at the change in supporter base during successful times as opposed to less successful times.
Cheers
Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby ferret » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:40 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:Will say one thing about Eagles fans tbough... they are loyal. Even with the success they have had over the last twenty years, they still have the smallest supporter base of any club (bar the Crows Ressies). All other clubs tend to have supporters come out of the woodwork when they have success, ourselves included.
Cheers

That's the worrying thing, they still can't get fans to attend even with success. Just poking a bit of fun anyway, seen as they seemed really angry the other day.

This is a bad argument. No club is increasing their support base over the years since the introduction of Crows regardless of how many premierships they win. Average support reflected by crowd numbers for all teams is showing an overall trend downward clearly due to waning SANFL interest caused by the AFL.

A better metric to consider is which club has had the smallest leakage in support base over the year and whether this is accelerating or slowing. The Eagles never had a big support base to begin with. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the decline in crowd numbers for Eagles has been far less than for clubs with historically larger fan bases (like Glenelg) but who have been poor performance since the introduction of the Crows (like Glenelg).[/quote]

"It's hard to garner support when you have your original base support area screwed over by the SANFL. Firstly bringing in Woodville squeezed the area and lost traditional supporter area, losing half our suburban area and giving us an area out Tea Tree Gully way and now taking away our traditional and original support base area and giving us the old magpie area. What a a way to dilute your supporter base. We might get good kids out of the old magpie zone but will hardly get any new supporters. Up until 1964 West Torrens was the third most winning team in the league and attracted the third most spectators. We have absolutely been screwed by the SANFL and this is reflected now by the lack of support. Just tell me what other club has been treated so shabbily".
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby DOC » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:50 pm

South.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:30 pm

DOC wrote:South.

C’mon on you’ve had 120 years to get over the southern fringe suburbs of Adelaide being given to that new club Sturt, let it go!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:35 pm

ferret wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Cheers

That's the worrying thing, they still can't get fans to attend even with success. Just poking a bit of fun anyway, seen as they seemed really angry the other day.

A better metric to consider is which club has had the smallest leakage in support base over the year and whether this is accelerating or slowing. The Eagles never had a big support base to begin with. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the decline in crowd numbers for Eagles has been far less than for clubs with historically larger fan bases (like Glenelg) but who have been poor performance since the introduction of the Crows (like Glenelg).

"It's hard to garner support when you have your original base support area screwed over by the SANFL. Firstly bringing in Woodville squeezed the area and lost traditional supporter area, losing half our suburban area and giving us an area out Tea Tree Gully way and now taking away our traditional and original support base area and giving us the old magpie area. What a a way to dilute your supporter base. We might get good kids out of the old magpie zone but will hardly get any new supporters. Up until 1964 West Torrens was the third most winning team in the league and attracted the third most spectators. We have absolutely been screwed by the SANFL and this is reflected now by the lack of support. Just tell me what other club has been treated so shabbily".[/quote]

You can't satisfy some people - give them the territory of two clubs and they still won't be satisfied ;)
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby DOC » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:38 pm

What really hurt was losing the country zone to some other upstart new club.
DOC
Coach

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:42 pm

ferret wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Cheers

A better metric to consider is which club has had the smallest leakage in support base over the year and whether this is accelerating or slowing. The Eagles never had a big support base to begin with. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the decline in crowd numbers for Eagles has been far less than for clubs with historically larger fan bases (like Glenelg) but who have been poor performance since the introduction of the Crows (like Glenelg).

"It's hard to garner support when you have your original base support area screwed over by the SANFL. Firstly bringing in Woodville squeezed the area and lost traditional supporter area, losing half our suburban area and giving us an area out Tea Tree Gully way and now taking away our traditional and original support base area and giving us the old magpie area. What a a way to dilute your supporter base. We might get good kids out of the old magpie zone but will hardly get any new supporters. Up until 1964 West Torrens was the third most winning team in the league and attracted the third most spectators. We have absolutely been screwed by the SANFL and this is reflected now by the lack of support. Just tell me what other club has been treated so shabbily".[/quote]

I question the statement about third-most winning club. Up until 1964, the number of premierships won by teams were:
Port 22 premierships
Norwood 22
South 11
North 9
West 7
Sturt 5
West Torrrens 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... gical_list

As Glenelg did not enter the comp until 1921, that pretty much made West Torrens the least winning team.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby am Bays » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:43 pm

DOC wrote:What really hurt was losing the country zone to some other upstart new club.

Did you lose it or request a closer country zone, more aligned with your new metro zone that we used to have.

:-? :-?

PS do rehash old threads from 2011-13???
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby DOC » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:47 pm

That could be right. Nearly 30 years ago now.
DOC
Coach

Postby blueandwhite » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:26 pm

Joel Cross standing down as captain at South.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:15 pm

DOC wrote:Latest Sportsbet market

Port Adelaide $5

North Adelaide $6

Woodville-West Torrens $6

Glenelg $7

Norwood $7

Adelaide $9

South Adelaide $9

Central District $13

Sturt $13

West Adelaide $15

close season coming up, going by this.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1659 times
Been liked: 649 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby blueandwhite » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:46 pm

Not a betting man ... but South @ 9.00 isnt a bad bet..... :shock:
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby ferret » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:32 am

bulldogproud wrote:
ferret wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Cheers

"It's hard to garner support when you have your original base support area screwed over by the SANFL. Firstly bringing in Woodville squeezed the area and lost traditional supporter area, losing half our suburban area and giving us an area out Tea Tree Gully way and now taking away our traditional and original support base area and giving us the old magpie area. What a a way to dilute your supporter base. We might get good kids out of the old magpie zone but will hardly get any new supporters. Up until 1964 West Torrens was the third most winning team in the league and attracted the third most spectators. We have absolutely been screwed by the SANFL and this is reflected now by the lack of support. Just tell me what other club has been treated so shabbily".

You can't satisfy some people - give them the territory of two clubs and they still won't be satisfied ;)[/quote]

Completely wrong BP. All club zones are roughly based on the same number of I think 14 yo males, so it is clearly not two zones as you assert. Do you really think that the other SANFL clubs would let one club have twice as many assets as other clubs......I think not.
ferret
Reserves

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:42 am

Ferret, my good friend, what I was saying was that you would still not be satisfied if the SANFL DID give you two zones If you read it correctly, my post said 'give them the territory of two clubs and they still won't be satisfied' If I was referring to what had been done, the wording would have been 'and they still aren't satisfied' :D
See you at Glenelg tomorrow?

Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby ferret » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:28 pm

bulldogproud wrote:Ferret, my good friend, what I was saying was that you would still not be satisfied if the SANFL DID give you two zones If you read it correctly, my post said 'give them the territory of two clubs and they still won't be satisfied' If I was referring to what had been done, the wording would have been 'and they still aren't satisfied' :D

Cheers

BP, maybe it wasn't the best constructed phrase/sentence, as you read it one way and I read it another.
Will be very busy tomorrow travelling between Thebby, Uni and Glenelg ovals.
ferret
Reserves

Postby bulldogproud » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:55 pm

ferret wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:Ferret, my good friend, what I was saying was that you would still not be satisfied if the SANFL DID give you two zones If you read it correctly, my post said 'give them the territory of two clubs and they still won't be satisfied' If I was referring to what had been done, the wording would have been 'and they still aren't satisfied' :D

Cheers

BP, maybe it wasn't the best constructed phrase/sentence, as you read it one way and I read it another.
Will be very busy tomorrow travelling between Thebby, Uni and Glenelg ovals.

Perhaps...
College Badminton until 1:00pm, then I will hopefully base myself at Glenelg for a couple of hours.
Cheers
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Postby smac » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:38 pm

Great to have another ticket price rise.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Alex » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:32 pm

smac wrote:Great to have another ticket price rise.

I was surprised by that given the survey the SANFL sent out 12 months back or so alluding to lowering ticket prices.
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby northerner » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:08 am

TDJ44 wrote:
southernbulldog wrote:Surprised we are $13 thought we would be a lot longer than that. I think West will better than the odds showing

Should be $31

Hopefully you two saw the performance v South.
Thommo has got the lads fast and fit and a few lads will step up and surprise.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 436 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL