Port Adelaide 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2021

Postby Brodlach » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:22 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Lives with Boaky so bit strange he would miss training if he was at home

Don’t think he lives with boaky anymore. Pretty sure he moved out over the summer & bought his own place

He bought somewhere around Thebarton/Torrensville/Mile End I think judging by his Instagram, which doesn't look like it's accessible at the moment.

Maybe why he was at IKEA last Saturday
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:36 pm

Him moving must have been a very recent thing, was definitely at Boak's a month ago
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2321 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:22 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
bertiebeatle wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Lives with Boaky so bit strange he would miss training if he was at home

Don’t think he lives with boaky anymore. Pretty sure he moved out over the summer & bought his own place

He bought somewhere around Thebarton/Torrensville/Mile End I think judging by his Instagram, which doesn't look like it's accessible at the moment.

Running the hound on the mighty WYC wasn't he.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7484 times
Been liked: 10771 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 am

Simeon Thomas-Wilson
@Simeon_TW
·
22m
Potentially a small insight into Port Adelaide’s R1 team at Alberton this morning. Group split into black and white jumpers, black the stronger. Bergman, Drew, Bonner, Farrell in black. Jones, Rockliff, Hartlett, McKenzie and Duursma in white

@superfooty
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:18 am

Great story about Charlie Dixon in today's paper, seems like a ripper bloke.
Hope to run into him and say gudday when I'm out and about as his garage is just around the corner from my house.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:58 am

North Melbourne jumped out of the blocks and had Port Adelaide on the back foot in the opening quarter but after the slow start the superior skills and ball movement of Port Adelaide ran over the Kangaroos to win by 52 points, 117 to 65.

Early on it wasn’t going to plan though, Davies-Uniacke led the way in contested ball as North made Port’s inside mids look like they were still napping from the night before. Along with ex-Collingwood runner Stephenson the Kangas bounced to an early lead as Port struggled to get the ball forward and then when they did, as is our trade mark, couldn’t keep it there. Other than goals on the turnover to Amon and Boak the first 30 minutes really did belong to North. Goldstein, as he often does, got on top of Port’s ruck duo and gave the Kangas the first sniff and the likes of LDU, Simpkin and Goldy himself took the contested ball points. If not for the lack of poise going forward North would, should, have been further in front but bombing it long into Port’s defence when you don’t have a true key forward target isn’t going to work for you.

Hinkley rolled out the baking paper at quarter time and the likes of Wines, Drew and Lycett would have known it was aimed at them. Bar Travis Boak, Aliir Aliir in the back half and Gray Port wouldn’t have had too many players happy with their opening half hour. Didn’t that change. In the middle Lycett got his body into Goldy, Drew, Wines and Amon started to help Boak and up front Butters gave the forward line the spark it needed as Dixon (2), Marshall (2) and Fantasia (3) piled on the majors to break the game open and effectively this one was over at half time. From 2 points down to 40 in front at half time Port had the game in their hands.

Defensively Clurey and Jonas began to set up behind the ball better allowing Aliir to come in and effect the contest, it’s clear his inclusion is the one Port needed most in defence, not so much his size but his aerial ability as Jones, Clurey and McKenzie did the job last year but none of them are as comfortable flying for marks as Aliir is, they all body and position well at ground level but Aliir’s addition has been evident. Bergman on debut found himself in the right spot on several occasions, understandable in your debut to rush a little and his disposal was a reflection of this, he’ll be much better for the run. Burton and Houston made the most of every touch and Port now had their game going.

Forward of the ball Motlop got on his bike and played the high half forward role nicely, Butters was his usual self, applying pressure on the ground and in the air. He’s an absolute star. Dixon, Marshall and Ladhams all looked dangerous in the air and all had their chances to score from set shots. A good sign indeed.

Midfielder Willem Drew laid 11 tackles and had 6 clearances to go with 17 touches and 2 I50’s. His most complete game at AFL level and he looks to have over taken sub Rockliff and with Wines they look like a good combination on the inside with Boak, Amon, Butters, the returning Rozee and Gray from time to time coming into the mix.

Easily best on ground was Boak, 27 touches, 7 clearances, 2 goals, 4 tackles, 6 I50’s, 12 score involvements, 3 Brownlow votes. Fantasia was lapping it up in the forward 50, 4 goals in his first game for Port Adelaide and he’ll be thinking the move was a good one, even at this very early stage. Aliir was far from perfect but stood up under pressure in the first quarter then things got a little easier for the back half. Drew and Wines the best in the middle, Houston and Burton the best in defence (behind Aliir), Amon, Motlop, Byrne-Jones and Ladhams all deserve mentions and Ladhams as I felt he got the midfield going in the second term when Goldstein and Lycett left the ground taking Larkey to the cleaners.

Boons best : Boak, Fantasia, Drew, Wines, Amon, Aliir

With Bonner likely sidelined with a hamstring I can see Rozee coming straight back in, Hartlett might need a run Friday night against the Crows at Alberton.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:13 am

I was pretty excited by out 1st quarter and we could have been 3 goals in front. Unfortunately we couldn't sustain our intensity and our lack of experience and leadership showed with Cunners, McDonald, Tarrant and Anderson all in the stands.

Certainly enough evidence of improvement and light at the end of the tunnel to look forward to next week.

I reckon Ladhams will go past Lycett this season and will be your #1 ruck come the business end.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby JK » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:17 am

Amon continues to flourish .. I read someone last week listed him as their darkhorse for the Brownlow, had a little chuckle but then thought he actually has the style about him that could appeal to the umps. Tough gig for anyone at Port trying to bring Charlie home with votes being shared among Boak, Wines, Butters, Gray, Houston etc aswell as those that will fall to the supporting cast.

Absolutely bursting with a depth of talent at Alberton. should be making the Granny with that list.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:23 am

With Bonner out I'd say Rozee comes in, then when Hartlett is right he comes in for Bergman.

Will have Bergman, Bonner, McKenzie, Georgiades, Powell-Pepper, Garner, Jones, Williams and Woodcock pushing to get into the side.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:27 am

Port were the most impressive team of the week for mine.

We saw earlier on in the round that other flag contenders Brisbane and Geelong weren't able to weather an initial storm of enthusiasm from their lesser renowned opponents.

Heading in a few points behind at quarter time it looked like Port were in for a real tough day at the office with NM smashing the inside 50's.

To Ports credit though they kept working hard and stuck to their plan and came away with the largest win of the weekend.

Definitely top 4 side will just come down to injuries/form as to whether they can peak in September.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby DOC » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:34 pm

It beats me why they did not give Allir an opponent. Could see him just going to the next hole every time they had a long shot down the ground.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:57 pm

DOC wrote:It beats me why they did not give Allir an opponent. Could see him just going to the next hole every time they had a long shot down the ground.

I said it at the time, couldn't understand why he wasn't in Sydney's best 22 and why they let him walk
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:
DOC wrote:It beats me why they did not give Allir an opponent. Could see him just going to the next hole every time they had a long shot down the ground.

I said it at the time, couldn't understand why he wasn't in Sydney's best 22 and why they let him walk
Attitude

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11837 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:14 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Attitude

All reports from Alberton is exactly the opposite. Does every thing he can to be involved, make connections with the group, training standards are high, perhaps he needed a change of environment?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:37 am

Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Attitude

All reports from Alberton is exactly the opposite. Does every thing he can to be involved, make connections with the group, training standards are high, perhaps he needed a change of environment?
His attitude in Sydney is why he is no longer there.
A 2nd chance, a new environment may be the spark he needs.

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11837 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:50 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Attitude

I think you'll find he left because he was offered a longer contract than Sydney were able to offer and it all came down to job security. Was very well liked in Sydney by players and coaches alike. They didn't want to lose him.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Brodlach » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:33 am

He said he didn’t want to ruck, can’t blame him
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:14 am

Brodlach wrote:He said he didn’t want to ruck, can’t blame him

Footy Class touched on this on Monday night, as Caro and Kane noted it's hard to believe Port got him as cheap as we did given his versatility and ability as a key defender, lots of clubs would be keen on a 196cm marking rebounding defender.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mots02 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:21 am

Booney wrote:

Footy Class touched on this on Monday night, as Caro and Kane noted it's hard to believe Port got him as cheap as we did given his versatility and ability as a key defender, lots of clubs would be keen on a 196cm marking rebounding defender.

Dare I ask.... is this finally the missing piece of that puzzle Ken was referring to? :-?
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:29 am

mots02 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Dare I ask.... is this finally the missing piece of that puzzle Ken was referring to? :-?

When did Hinkley call Ryder the missing piece? Can you show me the quote?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL