2021 AFL season - Round 1, tips & banter

Talk on the national game

Re: 2021 AFL season - Round 1, tips & banter

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:54 am

Chose to bump, bloke gets injured accidental or not = games. 3 for mine.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:16 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Dangerfield had the exact same incident in the gf last year.
Raised a forearm to protect himself, knocked the opponent out and didn't get reported.
Kelly in my opinion should have done the same thing.
Not raise the forearm but turn his body slightly and it would've been shoulder on shoulder.
I get he was trying to draw Dangerfield in close, as you do, but he didn't protect himself after disposing of the footy.
Again, maybe he thought Dangerfield wouldn't go through with the bump?

After 45+ years of playing, coaching and watching I think I'm qualified to comment.

It's a tough one, it was a typical hit for the 1980's, player draws the opponent and offloads the ball while the the opponent is committed to the body hit, Dangerfield couldn't tackle as the ball would've been released, the hit wasn't high, it was the head contact that caused the injury.

I think Patty is going to escape games on this, he didn't leave the ground and it was bicep to bicep, he had no other option.

Kelly was a bit too late in disposing of the ball to brace for the contact and he probably underestimated the impact that Patty was going to inflict.

It's not a good look for the game but it's been happening for years, it was an accident, exactly that unfortunately.
Attachments
danger.JPG
danger.JPG (61.74 KiB) Viewed 731 times
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Chrisso » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:18 pm

Booney wrote:Chose to bump, bloke gets injured accidental or not = games. 3 for mine.

Is nobody questioning Danger's technique?

A bump is also called a 'hip and shoulder' for a reason. Danger's not protecting his head at all and virtually goes in head first.

There was no malice and Danger isn't a dirty player but that was very reckless.
Chrisso
Mini-League

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:34 pm

Chrisso wrote:
Booney wrote:Chose to bump, bloke gets injured accidental or not = games. 3 for mine.

Is nobody questioning Danger's technique?

A bump is also called a 'hip and shoulder' for a reason. Danger's not protecting his head at all and virtually goes in head first.

There was no malice and Danger isn't a dirty player but that was very reckless.

Agreed, but that's part of what makes him the champion he is, his reckless attack on the body and ball without fear. The game has changed even in the time he's been playing and he needs to adjust how he plays, not sure he'd like that though.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:35 pm

He chose to bump. That's why he'll get games.
I agree, its a footy accident and he shouldn't get games for it, but the rules are clear.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:37 pm

MW wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:It's a tough one, it was a typical hit for the 1980's, player draws the opponent and offloads the ball while the the opponent is committed to the body hit, Dangerfield couldn't tackle as the ball would've been released, the hit wasn't high, it was the head contact that caused the injury.

I think Patty is going to escape games on this, he didn't leave the ground and it was bicep to bicep, he had no other option.

Kelly was a bit too late in disposing of the ball to brace for the contact and he probably underestimated the impact that Patty was going to inflict.

It's not a good look for the game but it's been happening for years, it was an accident, exactly that unfortunately.

It's not a jump into him, it's pretty much impossible to bump someone on the move with feet planted on the ground.
Anywho, I guess the tribunal will decide and my opinion is irrelevant, players have got games for far less severe hits so I'm no doubt wrong.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:40 pm

MW's pic makes it look like a good old fashioned shirt front.
It certainly isn't shoulder to shoulder or bicep to bicep.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby wild dog » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:00 pm

I don't understand the no malice commentary, both feet off the ground, aimed front on with enough time to avoid. The Crows lad was going down hard no matter the subsequent head clash. He had disposed of the ball and it was a couple of metres away at the time of impact. Why didn't Dangerfield smother the handball? Either he was too late to smother in which case he should not have bumped, or the act was malice. 200 plus game footballer in his 30's not having the experience to know what option to take, come on.

I like Dangerfield as a footballer, hard at it brilliant paced and instinctual footballer, but the fact he had been run down in the previous play and was desperate to stop the subsequent rebound indicates for me that he had the motive, the opportunity and certainly the means. He is a hardened strong footballer who was desperate to atone for his mistake (also possibly humiliation for having been run down.)

My attitude has changed over the years so I understand some of the comments, but this should not be a "hey it was a no malice hard and fair footballer just playing the game as it was meant to be." This is exactly the act that needs to be stopped to ensure Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is reduced as much as possible. Anyone with 45 years football experience would have experienced big head knocks. I know I have myself and probably dealt some out. Certainly not proud of it. A guy like Dangerfield needs to lead by example, this was a very poor act on his behalf and unfortunately he needs to be punished.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby wild dog » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:06 pm

impact3.jpg
Moment of Impact
impact3.jpg (160.41 KiB) Viewed 572 times
Anyway I shouldn't have commented on the VFL site, but the whole issue of head knocks and d/ckhead acts on the footy field probably got the better of me. 5 weeks should be the penalty and Dangerfield (who seems to be of a decent character) should be genuinely remorseful and accept his lot.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Bum Crack » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:24 pm

wild dog wrote:
impact3.jpg
Anyway I shouldn't have commented on the VFL site, but the whole issue of head knocks and d/ckhead acts on the footy field probably got the better of me. 5 weeks should be the penalty and Dangerfield (who seems to be of a decent character) should be genuinely remorseful and accept his lot.

Get off the grass
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby MW » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:44 pm

2 weeks would be the "fair" outcome
MW
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:34 pm

MW wrote:2 weeks would be the "fair" outcome

4, and plea down from there.
But I think 3 would be OK.

But I'm solid on the fact players just don't protect themselves like we did a generation ago.
Back then you knew you were gonna get planted most times and took appropriate, and sometimes not, action to minimise the damage.
Draw the player but handball it as you turn so you don't get shirtfronted.
Kelly did not expect impact cause they're mates perhaps?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:06 pm

wild dog wrote:I don't understand the no malice commentary, both feet off the ground, aimed front on with enough time to avoid. The Crows lad was going down hard no matter the subsequent head clash. He had disposed of the ball and it was a couple of metres away at the time of impact. Why didn't Dangerfield smother the handball? Either he was too late to smother in which case he should not have bumped, or the act was malice. 200 plus game footballer in his 30's not having the experience to know what option to take, come on.

I like Dangerfield as a footballer, hard at it brilliant paced and instinctual footballer, but the fact he had been run down in the previous play and was desperate to stop the subsequent rebound indicates for me that he had the motive, the opportunity and certainly the means. He is a hardened strong footballer who was desperate to atone for his mistake (also possibly humiliation for having been run down.)

My attitude has changed over the years so I understand some of the comments, but this should not be a "hey it was a no malice hard and fair footballer just playing the game as it was meant to be." This is exactly the act that needs to be stopped to ensure Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is reduced as much as possible. Anyone with 45 years football experience would have experienced big head knocks. I know I have myself and probably dealt some out. Certainly not proud of it. A guy like Dangerfield needs to lead by example, this was a very poor act on his behalf and unfortunately he needs to be punished.

Really good post.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:14 pm

Swans Errol Gulden has been selected round 1 rising Star nominee
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby MW » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:06 pm

There's new down the ground footage of the danger hit... I'll change my prediction to 4 games
MW
Coach

Postby Turbo » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:36 pm

stan wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Daisy’s back, guess Hawthorn won.
Actually old mate Daisy has just outed himself as being Turbo. Honestly didn't pick that one, almost as good as when he outed himself as UK fan.
Guarantee he isn’t. I just hibernate during the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:38 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Swans academy rort Errol Gulden has been selected round 1 rising Star nominee

efa
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:53 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Swans academy rort Errol Gulden has been selected round 1 rising Star nominee

efa

Still sooking from the weekend
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:47 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:

efa

Still sooking from the weekend

I just wish Carlton could train kids from 12 years old like the swans rort
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:48 pm

That is the lamest excuse for an argument I’ve seen in sometime.
woodublieve12
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL