AFL 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2021

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:42 am

Booney wrote:Duursma, Butters and Rozee are all out at the end of 2022, but I'd expect some movement there.

Georgiades has already extended to the end of 2023.

Wowsers. That's going to be a huge contract negotiations for the clubs next 10 years.

Rozee and Butters are potential A++++ players.

Any chance Duursma might be one who has to make way to ensure the others can stay. Especially given Duursma and Butters are both Victorians so might have a few of those clubs going hard at them selling the go home factor.

Especially given at some point after that Houston, Amon, Byrne-Jones will also be out of contract, I imagine those 3 would be expecting a pay rise with their next contract.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:49 am

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:Duursma, Butters and Rozee are all out at the end of 2022, but I'd expect some movement there.

Wowsers. That's going to be a huge contract negotiations for the clubs next 10 years.

Any chance Duursma might be one who has to make way to ensure the others can stay. Especially given Duursma and Butters are both Victorians so might have a few of those clubs going hard at them selling the go home factor.

Especially given at some point after that Houston, Amon, Byrne-Jones will also be out of contract, I imagine those 3 would be expecting a pay rise with their next contract.

There's a handful that will be crucial to our longer term future :

Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Ladhams, Georgiades, Marshall, Hayes ( young ruckman ), Houston, Amon, DBJ and Drew. All of them can expect money increases in the next deal.

Having said that Watts, Westhoff and Ebert have retired this year, Rockliff, Motlop, Dixon, Gray, Boak and Jonas would all be on less than they were when they last signed I'd imagine.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:57 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Ladhams, Georgiades, Marshall, Hayes ( young ruckman ), Houston, Amon, DBJ and Drew. All of them can expect money increases in the next deal.

Having said that Watts, Westhoff and Ebert have retired this year, Rockliff, Motlop, Dixon, Gray, Boak and Jonas would all be on less than they were when they last signed I'd imagine.

That's probably a pretty decent balance to work with. Imagine Gray/Boak/Rockliff/Jonas would be happy to take a significant pay cut if it means they extend their careers a year or two and have that one last premiership crack with the young guns.
whufc
Coach

Postby Fricky » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:07 am

I cant see Port losing many players with "$400,000-$500,000 available" according the Age article. Add to that the players to retire/not be offered new contracts and they have the capacity to keep this group together for a while yet.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:09 am

Booney wrote:

Marshall can expect a pay rise? He must be getting the base rate atm then I guess, he'd want to bulk up a bit and become a focal point if he's a part of our long term plans and wouldn't Hayes need to be tried at least first?

I'm very excited about the rest of the names you've mentioned, if we maintain a strong culture then these guys should be willing to stick around together for some time.

I guess we can wait until late in the year for the Wines to Victoria thing to raise it's ugly head again.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby JK » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:14 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
tigerpie wrote:
Booney wrote:
JK wrote:Dangerfield whilst serving his 3 match AFL suspension is allowed to play for Geelong's VFL team (as he did on the weekend) .. Thoughts?

Absolute load of shit.

Agreed, so in effect it was a 2 game suspension.
Ridiculous!
A freo player did the same...yet no outrage???

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

It's not about who the player is, more what they are and aren't allowed to do. The Freo player probably wasn't high profile enough to make it common knowledge.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:16 am

whufc wrote:
That's probably a pretty decent balance to work with. Imagine Gray/Boak/Rockliff/Jonas would be happy to take a significant pay cut if it means they extend their careers a year or two and have that one last premiership crack with the young guns.

Jonas is the captain, he wouldn't and shouldn't take a pay cut, Boak is like a fine red wine and shouldn't be expected to, Gray and Rockliff will both retire if they are no longer in our best 25, I couldn't see either of them clogging the list for the sake of it, I'd love for them to be still be valuable contributors for beyond this season.

I know Rockliff has his knockers but I'm glad we got him across.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:25 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

Marshall can expect a pay rise? He must be getting the base rate atm then I guess, he'd want to bulk up a bit and become a focal point if he's a part of our long term plans and wouldn't Hayes need to be tried at least first?

I'm very excited about the rest of the names you've mentioned, if we maintain a strong culture then these guys should be willing to stick around together for some time.

I guess we can wait until late in the year for the Wines to Victoria thing to raise it's ugly head again.

Hayes will be tried in due course, we play 2 rucks so we may even see him this year if injury pops up, we've put 4 years into him and let Ryder and Frampton walk because of the wraps we have on him.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:42 am

Booney wrote:
Hayes will be tried in due course, we play 2 rucks so we may even see him this year if injury pops up, we've put 4 years into him and let Ryder and Frampton walk because of the wraps we have on him.

That's great news then, I like Lycett and the dual purpose Ladhams, I don't mind Lycett loafing about in the forward lines for a rest either, he can be a fair pain in the arse for defensive match-ups. Having decent insurance is very handy.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:43 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Jonas is the captain, he wouldn't and shouldn't take a pay cut, Boak is like a fine red wine and shouldn't be expected to, Gray and Rockliff will both retire if they are no longer in our best 25, I couldn't see either of them clogging the list for the sake of it, I'd love for them to be still be valuable contributors for beyond this season.

Someone is going to have to though to keep Butters, Rozee, Amon, Duursma, Byrne Jones though......wouldn't think you would fit them all in any other way.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:51 am

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

Someone is going to have to though to keep Butters, Rozee, Amon, Duursma, Byrne Jones though......wouldn't think you would fit them all in any other way.

Rozee isn't a flight risk, Adelaide born and bred, Port fan as a kid, he'd be hard to move. DBJ is vice captain and I can see him one day wearing the #1 as the skipper, he'd be low risk also.

Amon, WA lad, we offered him around in 2018 to no interest, that may have changed now given his form and the WA clubs would both be on notice you'd think.

Butters and Duursma have quickly begun bleeding black, white and teal.

All in all it's about culture and we've not lost anyone we wanted to keep in recent years and attracted who we wanted. Speaks volumes for the leadership and club values.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:09 pm

Booney wrote:
Rozee isn't a flight risk, Adelaide born and bred, Port fan as a kid, he'd be hard to move. DBJ is vice captain and I can see him one day wearing the #1 as the skipper, he'd be low risk also.

Amon, WA lad, we offered him around in 2018 to no interest, that may have changed now given his form and the WA clubs would both be on notice you'd think.

Butters and Duursma have quickly begun bleeding black, white and teal.

All in all it's about culture and we've not lost anyone we wanted to keep in recent years and attracted who we wanted. Speaks volumes for the leadership and club values.

Amon has very much become part of the furniture from what I've seen, without knowing these guys personally they all seem to be similar type lads which gives me confidence in thinking they'll all stick around, it's that "culture" you speak of which will keep them around.

I know I can be critical of Kenny's coaching prowess, he seems to get the best out of the kids and comes across as a "favourite uncle" type operator, the one that would give you a sneaky JD's while you're telling him about your girlfriend but would be the first to rip you into line if he didn't approve of something you've done.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:10 pm

Easy to say that Booney but wait til the lower ranked Melbourne teams start throwing near million dollar contracts at Rozee, Butters, Duursma etc
Going to be hard to knock those offers back.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:15 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Easy to say that Booney but wait til the lower ranked Melbourne teams start throwing near million dollar contracts at Rozee, Butters, Duursma etc

That's where we/I will back in the culture at the place and the hope ( fingers crossed ) we're in the right position on the ladder to make those decisions more difficult.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:18 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Easy to say that Booney but wait til the lower ranked Melbourne teams start throwing near million dollar contracts at Rozee, Butters, Duursma etc

That's where we/I will back in the culture at the place and the hope ( fingers crossed ) we're in the right position on the ladder to make those decisions more difficult.

Absolutely.
But paying all 3 big $$ at the same time will be hard enough let alone if one of them is offered massive coin elsewhere which will happen.

They’ll need to take the chance of success over money then
Last edited by amber_fluid on Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:18 pm

I reckon Lycett might be traded if Ladhams & Hayes continue their trajectory, he is taking $650k pa and while solid doesn't have the upside of the young fellas.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:I reckon Lycett might be traded if Ladhams & Hayes continue their trajectory, he is taking $650k pa and while solid doesn't have the upside of the young fellas.

Given Nic Nat, Gawn and Grundy are on million dollar contracts I would have thought $650 was the going rate for any teams no. 1 ruckman
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:28 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Dutchy wrote:I reckon Lycett might be traded if Ladhams & Hayes continue their trajectory, he is taking $650k pa and while solid doesn't have the upside of the young fellas.

Given Nic Nat, Gawn and Grundy are on million dollar contracts I would have thought $650 was the going rate for any teams no. 1 ruckman

Only one of them is on a $1m contract.

Would you be prepared to lose Ladhams then?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

Only one of them is on a $1m contract.

Would you be prepared to lose Ladhams then?

Isn’t Nic Nat and Grundy on or close to a mill?

Gawn has just re-signed so surely he is pushing close to that
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:48 pm

Lycett is 29 later this year with 2 years to go on his deal, west coast lad, Port boy, doubt he'd be anywhere else.

With only 2 years to go on his deal you'd think Ladhams at 26 and Hayes 24 by then it's not like their time has passed them by at that stage. Primed ready to go.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL