AFL 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2021

Postby Dutchy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:03 pm

Depends if Ladham and Hayes are happy to play 2nd and 3rd fiddle in 2022 & 2023.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:Depends if Ladham and Hayes are happy to play 2nd and 3rd fiddle in 2022 & 2023.

I reckon as long as Port have one gun they will be happy.

Realistically what teams have two gun ruckmen they can call on. I mean look at last years grand finalists the reigning premiers they rely on a serviceable ruckmen, Geelong well they pinch hit there.

The in the opposite look at Collingwood and Melbourne with the comps two best ruckmen, no where near the top 4.

Most over-rated position on the ground. ;)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:21 am

Brisbane players had a crack at Chris Scott's hair do. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:23 am

1 Covid case in NSW, waiting on the Premiers to make their next move
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby DOC » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:44 am

Booney wrote:Brisbane players had a crack at Chris Scott's hair do. :lol:

It will either be tied back or a head band by round 5.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:51 pm

Funniest thing in that whole thing was Joe Daniher trying to be the tough guy.
Give up goober and just concentrate on earning ya money.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby stan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:43 pm

tigerpie wrote:Funniest thing in that whole thing was Joe Daniher trying to be the tough guy.
Give up goober and just concentrate on earning ya money.
Hahaha goober.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:03 pm

Goober! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:11 am

Chris Scott has been given a $10,000 fine, but it has been suspended.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:42 pm

What’s the go with compensation picks these days?

I know the AFL change the rules virtually every month with respect to compensation picks to make an already flawed draft even more compromised but surely if ever a club is deserving/requiring a compensation pick this year it’s going to be North Melb.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:50 pm

am Bays wrote:What’s the go with compensation picks these days?

I know the AFL change the rules virtually every month with respect to compensation picks to make an already flawed draft even more compromised but surely if ever a club is deserving/requiring a compensation pick this year it’s going to be North Melb.
Kidding aren’t you?
Won 10 games and just missed out on finals in 2019.
Surely 3 or 4 years at the bottom required before a priority pick
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:51 pm

For what? Shit list management?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:56 pm

North had a war chest not long ago

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:33 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Kidding aren’t you?
Won 10 games and just missed out on finals in 2019.
Surely 3 or 4 years at the bottom required before a priority pick

Given they delisted 10 or 11 last year, they should NOT be eligible for anything for at least 3 years IMO. Otherwise teams that might be on the verge of making the 8 with an older squad, will delist them and ask for compensation from the league. In that case, if I was the AFL I would say "tough luck, you listed them in the first place you work it out. Come to us in 3 years."
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby DOC » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:43 pm

The AFL only cares about how much money each game can generate.

WHY else would the 220 executive salaries be tied to revenue?
DOC
Coach

Postby DOC » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:48 am

Yep.

EDDIE McGuire has drawn up a revolutionary blueprint on the future of the AFL that would see 20 teams competing by 2028.

The former Collingwood president and long-time football powerbroker believes the game has a once-in-a-generation chance to introduce a 19th and 20th franchise – with Tasmania and a combined Far North Queensland/Darwin side the most likely options.

But he sent a pointed warning to the Tasmanian Government and Premier Peter Gutwein , saying it needed to “step up or step out”, or potentially “miss the boat again”.

McGuire said unless the Tasmanian Government agreed to commit $20m annually to the code and the new club, it could forfeit its hope of having a standalone team.

“The time has come for the all parties promulgating a team in Tasmania to put up or shut up,” McGuire said on Footy Classified.

McGuire’s plan to push football’s boundaries into the next generation includes:

› A 20-round AFL season in which all teams would play each other once (19 rounds), plus an extra round comprising Blockbuster/Showdown/ Derby matches;

› An expanded 12-team finals series, which would add at least $20m to the TV rights;

› At least three matches to be played on the west coast of the US to tap into American markets; and,

› A proposal for one Victorian team to be Tasmania’s “breakthrough” side until the state’s standalone team is ready in 2028.

That Victorian “breakthrough” team – which he suggested could be North Melbourne, given it already has a contract to play matches in Hobart – would be allocated four “home” and four “away” matches in Tasmania between seasons 2022 and 2027, with a further 12 games played in Melbourne and only two matches in different states.

McGuire said the Tasmanian Government had to find the best venue for a new stadium with a retractable roof.

It is understood McGuire who was on the AFL’s “coronavirus cabinet” last year – has already discussed his proposal with AFL heavyweights, including league chief executive Gillon McLachlan and other club presidents.

McGuire said a Victorian team could safeguard its future forever by choosing to be a part-time Tassie team for the next six seasons.

He once considered Collingwood playing a number of games on the Gold Coast, after North Melbourne knocked back the AFL’s massive deal to base themselves up there in late 2007.
DOC
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:08 am

Don't mind the idea of 20 teams especially if it includes a Tassie and NT side. Would love Thursday Night or Monday Night football to become a permanent fixture. Much better than having Home & Away on TV and any work day that I can look forward to watching sport in the evening is a good thing. With a NT and Tassie team the game would be truly National.

Absolutely hate the idea of a 10 team finals series. That's just the AFL lining its pockets. No team from tenth is ever going to be a genuine premiership threat and it just rewards mediocrity. Also believe it will start to diminish the prestige around playing/watching finals.

Really like the idea of 20 rounds playing each team once. Rotate Home and Away with each team each season. Whilst the AFL would lose the blockbusters I could see crowds boosted by only getting a home blockbuster once every second year. If your a Port/Crows fan with one home showdown every two years you are going to make sure you go to it.
whufc
Coach

Postby DOC » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:29 am

whufc wrote:Don't mind the idea of 20 teams especially if it includes a Tassie and NT side. Would love Thursday Night or Monday Night football to become a permanent fixture. Much better than having Home & Away on TV and any work day that I can look forward to watching sport in the evening is a good thing. With a NT and Tassie team the game would be truly National.

Absolutely hate the idea of a 10 team finals series. That's just the AFL lining its pockets. No team from tenth is ever going to be a genuine premiership threat and it just rewards mediocrity. Also believe it will start to diminish the prestige around playing/watching finals.

Really like the idea of 20 rounds playing each team once. Rotate Home and Away with each team each season. Whilst the AFL would lose the blockbusters I could see crowds boosted by only getting a home blockbuster once every second year. If your a Port/Crows fan with one home showdown every two years you are going to make sure you go to it.

He is proposing 12 teams.

Showdowns and the like not lost. Hence why it is 2o rounds, everyone once and Adelaide/Port twice like WC/Freo etc.
DOC
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:50 am

DOC wrote:
whufc wrote:Don't mind the idea of 20 teams especially if it includes a Tassie and NT side. Would love Thursday Night or Monday Night football to become a permanent fixture. Much better than having Home & Away on TV and any work day that I can look forward to watching sport in the evening is a good thing. With a NT and Tassie team the game would be truly National.

He is proposing 12 teams.

Showdowns and the like not lost. Hence why it is 2o rounds, everyone once and Adelaide/Port twice like WC/Freo etc.

12 is bloody crazy.

Argh I hate the idea of having the one extra game. So unbalanced and could hurt teams for no other reason than their rival is a dominant side for a period.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:06 am

Eddie's just trying to climb out of the bucket and make himself seem significant by being the master of the obvious.

It's no secret that they want 20 sides, one in Tassie, it gives us something to talk about, we all know it's a stupid idea but we'll try to justify it and suggest how it could work just to fill in our time.

I think the Gold Coast and GWS experiments have been enough to suggest that we need to decrease the number of teams if anything, or have a promotion/relegation system if they choose to introduce more "franchises" in.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL