AFL Round 4

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 4

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:42 pm

JK wrote:There were some poor calls and missed ones last night, as there is in every game. Felt for the umps a coupla times with some obviously high tackles being missed because they can only see from one angle whereas the cameras pick up everything.

I agree.

Additionally, the umpires stand in the corridor and don't see the vision that the camera's and crowd do - hence the frustration that is derived by the two parties having completely different views on the play.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby MW » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:53 pm

Simple solution...empower the boundary umpires to make field calls
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:56 pm

MW wrote:Simple solution...empower the boundary umpires to make field calls

That's not a solution, that's introducing another set of problems (as per post above, it becomes 7 people to interpret the rules, instead of 3).
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:59 pm

The solution is obvious

robot umpires
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:01 pm

Saw one game where the boundary umpires had power to call obvious frees similar to soccer leaving the field umpires in the corridors and to this day it was clearly the best umpired he of footy I've seen in my life.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:17 pm

Wedgie wrote:Saw one game where the boundary umpires had power to call obvious frees similar to soccer leaving the field umpires in the corridors and to this day it was clearly the best umpired he of footy I've seen in my life.

:lol: :lol:
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 pm

Boundary umpires cover around 18-20 kms at an average of around 3 qtr pace, they aren't doing any extra shit.

It's just the nature of the game, you can't get 100% accuracy unless you use technology, perhaps we just zap a player when he infringes and the player with the free kick has a flashing green light on his guernsey?

We still fluff the goal reviews up!!!
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:30 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Saw one game where the boundary umpires had power to call obvious frees similar to soccer leaving the field umpires in the corridors and to this day it was clearly the best umpired he of footy I've seen in my life.

Not sure what's funny. Was a SANFL trial game at Richmond if you don't believe me.

I don't think boundary umpires should be given the full powers of the field umpires but don't see why they don't do a similar job to most other sports in being able to assist. I'd probably do it with 4 boundary umps these days because of the pace of the game though.

The AFL should also go with the last touch rule the SANFL, best rule in the SANFL. The concept of trying to guess what a players intention is, is ridiculous.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:51 pm

Geelong/North must've won.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:52 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

Not really relevant but it was North v West and West won from memory. Everyone else at the game that I chatted to had a similar opinion also.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby locky801 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:10 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Not sure what's funny. Was a SANFL trial game at Richmond if you don't believe me.

I don't think boundary umpires should be given the full powers of the field umpires but don't see why they don't do a similar job to most other sports in being able to assist. I'd probably do it with 4 boundary umps these days because of the pace of the game though.

The AFL should also go with the last touch rule the SANFL, best rule in the SANFL. The concept of trying to guess what a players intention is, is ridiculous.

With all the deliberates they are calling this year is almost as though they are
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:15 pm

That's true. It's not deliberate anymore now is it?
Hasn't the rule or interpretation changed so the player has to make a genuine attempt to keep it in?
At least it's a bit easier to rule upon than deliberate and a step in the right direction but still not as good as the last touch rule IMHO.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:17 pm

Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

It was North v West and West won from memory. Everyone else at the game that I chatted to had a similar opinion also.

It worked "sooo" well, they never tried it again. Hmmm.....
gadj1976
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:19 pm

The way to combat games already over officiated... add more officials
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

It was North v West and West won from memory. Everyone else at the game that I chatted to had a similar opinion also.

It worked "sooo" well, they never tried it again. Hmmm.....

Yeah I know, I think was more a logistics issue of extra training and the change of set ups for umps. But that shouldn't be an issue with the AFL.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:28 pm

Wedgie wrote:Yeah I know, I think was more a logistics issue of extra training and the change of set ups for umps. But that shouldn't be an issue with the AFL.

There also was talk about having 4 goal umpires so that decisions were more accurate. That also went by the wayside. $$'s was the reason. I still don't think it will make it more accurate though - hence my thoughts on adding officials for no tangible benefit.

My thoughts are to have 4 field umpires (yes, I know, slight contradiction), one inside the corridor and one on the boundary side of each contest. The umpires work in pairs as they roam up and down their half of the ground. They can then see 'all angles' (there are limitations of course) but it cuts down the variables we see where someone drops the ball right in front of the coaches box, the crowd goes nuts but to the umpire, it looks like the guy disposed of it properly.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:53 pm

Wedgie wrote:Good luck to Lachie Jones tonight, loved watching him play for the Eagles and hope he does well.
I've picked the Power but who knows what's going to happen!
Should be a cracker.

Can’t wait for tonight’s game, few cans, study tomorrow’s form during the breaks, finish up with a Jamo’s or two. Love a good matchup for FNF
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Wedgie » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:01 pm

JK wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Good luck to Lachie Jones tonight, loved watching him play for the Eagles and hope he does well.
Should be a cracker.

Can’t wait for tonight’s game, few cans, study tomorrow’s form during the breaks, finish up with a Jamo’s or two. Love a good matchup for FNF

I'm working but I enjoying working when there's decent footy and/or races on, makes my day/night go so quick.
Might get a few complaints as I'll have the Penrith v Canberra game on one of the TVs too. :D
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:07 pm

Wedgie wrote:
JK wrote:
Should be a cracker.

I'm working but I enjoying working when there's decent footy and/or races on, makes my day/night go so quick.
Might get a few complaints as I'll have the Penrith v Canberra game on one of the TVs too. :D

Go Panthers!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:27 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

That's not a solution, that's introducing another set of problems (as per post above, it becomes 7 people to interpret the rules, instead of 3).

It's allowing the boundary guys to call the frees the field cant see
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL