The death of the Port Adelaide Magpies

All discussions to do with the SANFL

The death of the Port Adelaide Magpies

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:44 am

It seems COVID got the Magpies, in 2021 there is no mention of the Magpies on their guernsey, clubs marketing and also the honour board has had MAPGPIES removed (look closely).

I know many of us non-Port fans don't really care, but why aren't traditional Port fans upset about this? They seem very passionate about the prison bars.

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Re: The death of the Port Adelaide Magpies

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:51 am

Yeah but 303352 premierships
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:52 am

F***, Here we go

@Topsy @Dedja
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:03 pm

Still has the Magpie logo on the board but not sure why they removed the name. It does seem that the PB’s is about the only thing that is staying the same as even the guernsey no longer has the Magpie logo and the Magpie name seems to exist no longer
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby RB » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:It seems COVID got the Magpies, in 2021 there is no mention of the Magpies on their guernsey, clubs marketing and also the honour board has had MAPGPIES removed (look closely).

And rumour has it that they're also a reserve side for the Power these days.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:18 pm

The Port Adelaide Sanflies.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby wild dog » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:11 pm

Aerie wrote:The Port Adelaide Sanflies.

:lol: Magpies to midges'.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Pseudo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:18 pm

Dutchy wrote:It seems COVID got the Magpies, in 2021 there is no mention of the Magpies on their guernsey, clubs marketing and also the honour board has had MAPGPIES removed (look closely).

The Magpies died in 2013.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:33 pm

If you actually look really closely at the top of the honour board it says PORT ADELAIDE SANFLies
Ironic.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:15 pm

Jim05 wrote:Still has the Magpie logo on the board but not sure why they removed the name. It does seem that the PB’s is about the only thing that is staying the same as even the guernsey no longer has the Magpie logo and the Magpie name seems to exist no longer

Has there been any announcement regarding the demise of the Magpie? Do any Port people care?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:43 pm

It's part of the agenda of port power trying to usurp all the Port Magpies heritage. I hate it. I do support the Bring Back the Bars movement though. I see that akin to paying tribute to the magpies, not because they are the original Port Adelaide. It's a bit like how I enjoy the lions wearing the Fitzroy jumper when they want to.
Last edited by Alex on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex

Been liked: 16 times

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:49 pm

Anyway they are still very much known as the magpies. The issue for the club is that they are trying to avoid using port "power" as much as possible. It's like it is accepted that it's an embarrassment 90s cringe name. Everything is all about "Port Adelaide" now. Distinguishing the magpies too much involves doing likewise for the Power which the aim is too avoid, hence the new non power logo etc. I understand why they want to do it.
Alex

Been liked: 16 times

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:17 am

Alex wrote:Anyway they are still very much known as the magpies. The issue for the club is that they are trying to avoid using port "power" as much as possible. It's like it is accepted that it's an embarrassment 90s cringe name. Everything is all about "Port Adelaide" now. Distinguishing the magpies too much involves doing likewise for the Power which the aim is too avoid, hence the new non power logo etc. I understand why they want to do it.

Coming from a british background, the whole having a big nickname and being know by that is somewhat foreign to me. I know some soccer clubs are well known for their nickname but its just not as a big an emphasised thing, something that was tried in the 80's-90's but never really took off as much.

I reckon it would be great to see Port Adelaide, drop the Power slogan and just go by Port Adelaide (PA) similar to the New York Yankess being renowned for their NY logo. Would be strong, somewhat defiant, and all incapturing which I think fits into the Port mentality that they believe they have.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:26 am

The other week I got in trouble on Facebook (nothing new) for saying Port don’t have the magpie on their jumper .
The persons page I wrote that on is a great guy . But one of his buddies got upset . Went off they are still the magpies media calls them magpies . So to him they are the magpies , mind you half or more of their fans wear power gear .
Anyway this guys picture had him in the prison bars I pointed out it didn’t have the magpie logo on the jumper . He wanted his mate to block me .
I know it’s port Adelaide but I guess the wharfies can’t see the logo is gone .
Those that know me know I used to be married into a port family lived in the port heartland.
My kids followed me thankfully not port fans that’s surprised their cousins lol .
Anyway those that know me know my surname and with that surname not being a port fan gets me really strange looks from port people .
I won’t say my surname but I’d love some royalties from Port lol
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby StrayDog » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:41 am

MJP1993 wrote:The other week I got in trouble on Facebook (nothing new) for saying Port don’t have the magpie on their jumper .
The persons page I wrote that on is a great guy . But one of his buddies got upset . Went off they are still the magpies media calls them magpies .
So to him they are the magpies , mind you half or more of their fans wear power gear .
Anyway this guys picture had him in the prison bars I pointed out it didn’t have the magpie logo on the jumper . He wanted his mate to block me .
Those that know me know I used to be married into a port family lived in the port heartland.
My kids followed me thankfully not port fans that’s surprised their cousins lol .
Anyway those that know me know my surname and with that surname not being a port fan gets me really strange looks from port people .

Ah, the mainstream media says it, so it must be so - nothing, of course, to do with commercial aesthetics and marketability. :D

A truly ground breaking concept for that platform I realise, but the Farcebook "buddy" needs to improve both his standards for information acceptance and his critical thinking skills.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:55 am

MJP1993 wrote:The other week I got in trouble on Facebook (nothing new) for saying Port don’t have the magpie on their jumper .
The persons page I wrote that on is a great guy . But one of his buddies got upset . Went off they are still the magpies media calls them magpies . So to him they are the magpies , mind you half or more of their fans wear power gear .

You have a blue with Booney?? :lol:
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:17 pm

Bum Crack wrote:

You have a blue with Booney?? :lol:

Nah Booney is on my page and I think I’ve met his dad many years ago .
Actually Booney isn’t that bad
I just upset a guy that’s all
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:18 pm

StrayDog wrote:
The persons page I wrote that on is a great guy . But one of his buddies got upset . Went off they are still the magpies media calls them magpies .
So to him they are the magpies , mind you half or more of their fans wear power gear .

Ah, the mainstream media says it, so it must be so - nothing, of course, to do with commercial aesthetics and marketability. :D

A truly ground breaking concept for that platform I realise, but the Farcebook "buddy" needs to improve both his standards for information acceptance and his critical thinking skills.

He’s not my Facebook buddy haven’t seen anything by him since
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby StrayDog » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 pm

MJP1993 wrote:
StrayDog wrote:

Yes, Micky.

That's why I said "the", in the context of the only "buddy" mentioned in your post, not "your".

Play on.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:35 pm

StrayDog wrote:
MJP1993 wrote:
StrayDog wrote:

Yes, Micky.

That's why I said "the", in the context of the only "buddy" mentioned in your post, not "your".

Play on.

My mistake lol
MJP1993
Under 18s

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL