AFL 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2021

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:42 pm

Booney wrote:Port Adelaide is the latest club to show interest in star Essendon free agent Zach Merrett, according to The Age.

The report says the Power have registered an interest in Merrett who is a restricted free agent this year.

Port is expected to have salary cap space to target a big-name free agent of Merrett’s ilk or a recruit from a rival club.

The Age also understands that Carlton and Melbourne are other clubs circling the Bombers midfielder.

Merrett remains unsigned beyond this year as Essendon look to lock away the 25-year-old to a new contract.

He’s played 146 games across eight seasons at the Bombers.

Start printing the back to back premiership shirts if you get him.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:47 pm

Booney wrote:Port Adelaide is the latest club to show interest in star Essendon free agent Zach Merrett, according to The Age.

The report says the Power have registered an interest in Merrett who is a restricted free agent this year.

Port is expected to have salary cap space to target a big-name free agent of Merrett’s ilk or a recruit from a rival club.

The Age also understands that Carlton and Melbourne are other clubs circling the Bombers midfielder.

Merrett remains unsigned beyond this year as Essendon look to lock away the 25-year-old to a new contract.

He’s played 146 games across eight seasons at the Bombers.
You apparently had a crack at him in the offseason but didn’t want to give up draft capital when you can get him as a FA this season.
I couldn’t blame him if he wanted to leave and chase money or success but he seems quite happy currently and if the kids show something he might stay. If he leaves I’d be surprised if he left Victoria and I think more likely that Geelong or possibly Richmond would be his choice
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:18 pm

Doesn't really fit Geelong's recruiting strategy though, does he?

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:05 pm

How do Port keep having cap space available?
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1415 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:50 am

Armchair expert wrote:How do Port keep having cap space available?

Smart list management (including hitting 3 drafts hard and finding talented kids who at the moment are on the lower end of the pay scale but are playing like well paid veterans) , players willing to stay together as a group, not over paying anyone player at the top, club culture making it hard to leave and easy to come on board and I won't dismiss the cost of living in Adelaide. $500k per year in Adelaide is significantly different to $500k per year living in Melbourne.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:45 am

Booney wrote:

Smart list management (including hitting 3 drafts hard and finding talented kids who at the moment are on the lower end of the pay scale but are playing like well paid veterans) , players willing to stay together as a group, not over paying anyone player at the top, club culture making it hard to leave and easy to come on board and I won't dismiss the cost of living in Adelaide. $500k per year in Adelaide is significantly different to $500k per year living in Melbourne.
Good list management.
Merrett will probably attract around $1m x5 which we can easily do. It’s just a matter if he wants to stay.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby tigerpie » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:52 pm

Booney wrote:

Your list management, scouting, has been first rate.
It'll be in the next 2 years you might find trouble.
You don't seem to lose any worth keeping either which is a testament to pt Adelaide.
I hate port, but the compliment is warranted.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:02 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Booney wrote:

You don't seem to lose any worth keeping either which is a testament to pt Adelaide.

Yeah they have done a great job.

Obviously their around the mark this year and may take a premiership.

The test to whether they could create a dynasty will be when the likes of Butters, Duursma, Byrne Jones, Rozee, Houston, Amon, Georgiades all come up for their next contract and the first of which where they will have some 'power' excuse the pun.

They might struggle to keep all of them or it may mean some midish range players like Burton, Drew, Bonner, Ladhams who im sure they would love to keep but may need to go to create the extra room. As long as they keep the ones they want and get good deals for the ones they cant fit in then they will consider it a massive win still.

Similar to how Richmond have moved on the likes of Ellis, Butler, Higgins, Conca who im sure they may have wanted to keep in a perfect world.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:05 pm

tigerpie wrote:Your list management, scouting, has been first rate.

There have been questionable signings but they've hit a few treble 20's along the way without costing the earth, the year that we were laughed at we done alright out of most of our recycled players, the Rockliff signing copped a fair bit of criticism but I think once we used him correctly he was very valuable, McKenzie has been serviceable, even Jack Watts played some decent footy for us.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:08 pm

whufc wrote:
tigerpie wrote:
Booney wrote:

The test to whether they could create a dynasty will be when the likes of Butters, Duursma, Byrne Jones, Rozee, Houston, Amon, Georgiades all come up for their next contract and the first of which where they will have some 'power' excuse the pun.

They might struggle to keep all of them or it may mean some midish range players like Burton, Drew, Bonner, Ladhams who im sure they would love to keep but may need to go to create the extra room. As long as they keep the ones they want and get good deals for the ones they cant fit in then they will consider it a massive win still.

Similar to how Richmond have moved on the likes of Ellis, Butler, Higgins, Conca who im sure they may have wanted to keep in a perfect world.

For mine there are 3 teams that look more complete than we do, I think the Bulldogs will be very dangerous at the pointy end of the season, and endless plethora of ball magnet onballers, a strong marking forward line that is hugely bolstered with Tim English being able to loaf around there more often with Stef Martin added to the list, A+++ for their off-season recruiting.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:32 pm

whufc wrote:
tigerpie wrote:
Booney wrote:

Last year we saw Watts, Westhoff and Ebert all retire, all would have been on $400-500k.

Hayes (2023) Farrell ( Out of contract ) and Garner ( OOC ) all came into the club in 2017 and while still here wouldn't be on big money and all look to have a future, Garner may look elsewhere for opportunity.
Rozee, Butters, Duursma and Woodcock ( all 2022 ) in 2018, 3 of the 4 will command big money deals in the future.
Bergman, Georgiades, Williams ( all 2023 ) and Mead ( OOC ) in 2019,

Of the last 3 drafts, 11 players, 8 of them aren't out of contract until the end of next year or the year after so we're going to have some decent names looking for longer deals at the end of 2022.

I reckon Rockliff might be done this year, I think Motlop, Hartlett and Gray play one more and Boak can go on for as long as he likes. So in the next 3 years we'll free up some top end money for those deals the younger blokes will be chasing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:46 pm

Houston
Wines
DBJ
Amon
Lycett
Burton
Jonas
Dixon
Allir

would not be on chump change
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:49 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Houston
Wines
DBJ
Amon
Lycett
Burton
Jonas
Dixon
Allir

would not be on chump change

Agree, but I wouldn't think any of them are on $700k or more as we see with some clubs around the competition.

I'd say Dixon, Jonas and Wines $600k+/- would be the highest.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby locky801 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:14 pm

Bit floating around on AFL sites from Tom (the flog) Morris that big problems at Collingwood and that Buckley's lost some of the players

Could be interesting times ahead in the coming weeks
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3655 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:11 pm

locky801 wrote:Bit floating around on AFL sites from Tom (the flog) Morris that big problems at Collingwood and that Buckley's lost some of the players

If there's a tiny hint of unrest, and I mean tiny hint, he'll make Everest out of it.
If there's a beef, and I feel there would have to be some unrest, its with the list management crew, not Buckley.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby stan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:41 pm

tigerpie wrote:
locky801 wrote:Bit floating around on AFL sites from Tom (the flog) Morris that big problems at Collingwood and that Buckley's lost some of the players

If there's a tiny hint of unrest, and I mean tiny hint, he'll make Everest out of it.
If there's a beef, and I feel there would have to be some unrest, its with the list management crew, not Buckley.
Or he's just making shit up. It's easy to do, Collingwood is an easy target, they are going like shit, just whack up a lines like players aren't happy because honestly who is happy about losing? Nobody of course they wouldn't be happy.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:29 am

tigerpie wrote:

List management is nothing short of a disaster, hard decisions weren't made last year ( like letting Sidebottom go, or letting De Goey go ) and the club is going to suffer for years because of it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Armchair expert » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:35 am

Check out Mcclure vs Eddie from footy classified last night, funny stuff.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootyonNine/ ... 3976444929
Armchair expert
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:43 am

Armchair expert wrote:Check out Mcclure vs Eddie from footy classified last night, funny stuff.

I'll catch up with Ed at this weeks happy clapper meeting. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Spargo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:49 am

Armchair expert wrote:Check out Mcclure vs Eddie from footy classified last night, funny stuff.

McClure is a such a light weight.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL