Yorke Peninsula League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Yorke Peninsula League

Postby Information HWY » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:44 am

Similar situation at SN to Wanganeen playing one match for Moonta in 2019 - a local missed out on playing A Grade, however there are other motives in both situations that seem to make sense.

Granted there is a risk of injury (very fair point), but does it matter if it allows a player to reconnect with friends/gather valuable form and experience when they were going to have a week off anyway?

Dirty dog wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:
Dirty dog wrote:It gets worse for Ardrossan, their best player Steve Wellington now has a clearance pending to salisbury North.

permit for 1 week only while YP has the masters games bye

Says a fair bit about both clubs though. My club would never release their best player for 1 game and risk injuries etc and we would never bring in 1 player for 1 week and drop someone out to get him in the side that was playing A grade regularly. The bloke that gets dropped for him would feel pretty average, I’m not good enough this week but next week when Wello is back at Ardrossan I am. It’s wrong
Information HWY
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby whufc » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:51 am

Dirty dog wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:
Dirty dog wrote:It gets worse for Ardrossan, their best player Steve Wellington now has a clearance pending to salisbury North.

Says a fair bit about both clubs though. My club would never release their best player for 1 game and risk injuries etc and we would never bring in 1 player for 1 week and drop someone out to get him in the side that was playing A grade regularly. The bloke that gets dropped for him would feel pretty average, I’m not good enough this week but next week when Wello is back at Ardrossan I am. It’s wrong

Get what your saying but I reckon SN will look at it as a good recruiting opportunity for next year. Keep him in the 'good books' and potentially he comes back.

His an extremely popular member of the SN football community so I would say more people are happy to have him then the potential one person who might get upset about being dropped.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dirty dog » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:55 am

Information HWY wrote:Similar situation at SN to Wanganeen playing one match for Moonta in 2019 - a local missed out on playing A Grade, however there are other motives in both situations that seem to make sense.

Granted there is a risk of injury (very fair point), but does it matter if it allows a player to reconnect with friends/gather valuable form and experience when they were going to have a week off anyway?

Dirty dog wrote:
Hazbeen wrote:

Wanga’s was playing the rest of the year from memory but blew a calf so very different and Moonta had 2000 strong crowd there for his first game and grand final like profits from the game, businesses decision
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:15 pm

Information HWY wrote:Says a fair bit about both clubs though. My club would never release their best player for 1 game and risk injuries etc and we would never bring in 1 player for 1 week and drop someone out to get him in the side that was playing A grade regularly. The bloke that gets dropped for him would feel pretty average, I’m not good enough this week but next week when Wello is back at Ardrossan I am. It’s wrong

Salisbury North has been a bit of a feeder club for Adrossan in recent times for memory, it's good to keep the relationship flowing for the player exchange, there's been plenty of talent transfered.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Punter707 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:10 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Information HWY wrote:Says a fair bit about both clubs though. My club would never release their best player for 1 game and risk injuries etc and we would never bring in 1 player for 1 week and drop someone out to get him in the side that was playing A grade regularly. The bloke that gets dropped for him would feel pretty average, I’m not good enough this week but next week when Wello is back at Ardrossan I am. It’s wrong

Salisbury North has been a bit of a feeder club for Adrossan in recent times for memory, it's good to keep the relationship flowing for the player exchange, there's been plenty of talent transfered.

You cant be serious LM a feeder club??? More like the club they go to too and get paid more money than what Salisbury North will give them. what a load of rubbish.
Punter707
Mini-League

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:02 pm

Punter707 wrote:
You cant be serious LM a feeder club??? More like the club they go to too and get paid more money than what Salisbury North will give them. what a load of rubbish.

Exactly what I'm saying, I'm not saying I agree with it just that there are a lot of clearances that go that way, common links is probably a better word for it.

A fair chunk of Salisbury North's current list have played in either the BLGFA, YPFL or APFL previously,
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dirty dog » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:19 am

No local footy tomorrow on the YP thanks to the Masters games. A lot of clubs wanted to play this weekend but with Kadina, Wallaroo and Moonta’s ovals being used it was impossible. We have a situation now that our GF will be on AFL GF day which nobody wants to happen. We applied to the SANFL to play on the zone weekend to avoid playing the same day as the AFL GF but got denied. They only solution thus far is a top 4 instead of a top 5 so finals will be a week shorter and our GF played on AFL prelims weekend. No club voted for a top 4 so we have a TBC finals series. I would hate to finish 5 on % and not play finals, plenty of teams have gone on to win flags after playing in the elimination final not to mention the massive coin invested
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:15 am

Dirty dog wrote:No local footy tomorrow on the YP thanks to the Masters games. A lot of clubs wanted to play this weekend but with Kadina, Wallaroo and Moonta’s ovals being used it was impossible. We have a situation now that our GF will be on AFL GF day which nobody wants to happen. We applied to the SANFL to play on the zone weekend to avoid playing the same day as the AFL GF but got denied. They only solution thus far is a top 4 instead of a top 5 so finals will be a week shorter and our GF played on AFL prelims weekend. No club voted for a top 4 so we have a TBC finals series. I would hate to finish 5 on % and not play finals, plenty of teams have gone on to win flags after playing in the elimination final not to mention the massive coin invested

Could they not have a bye the week before finals like in the AFL and then have your prelim on AFL GF day and your GF the week after.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby DOC » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:01 am

Dirty dog wrote:No local footy tomorrow on the YP thanks to the Masters games. A lot of clubs wanted to play this weekend but with Kadina, Wallaroo and Moonta’s ovals being used it was impossible. We have a situation now that our GF will be on AFL GF day which nobody wants to happen. We applied to the SANFL to play on the zone weekend to avoid playing the same day as the AFL GF but got denied. They only solution thus far is a top 4 instead of a top 5 so finals will be a week shorter and our GF played on AFL prelims weekend. No club voted for a top 4 so we have a TBC finals series. I would hate to finish 5 on % and not play finals, plenty of teams have gone on to win flags after playing in the elimination final not to mention the massive coin invested

Why not just have them playing away?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:24 am

They could play on the June long weekend?
I know in the past the BL&G have ignored SANFL directions to not play on the zone championship weekend, they could do that too. I do note that this year the BL&G does have the weekend off for Zone Champs.
There is simply no way you could play on the same day as the AFL GF. Worst case scenario youd play on the Sunday after AFL Gf but i reckon there is far more palatable options than that.
As Doc said, it couldve easily been planned around not using those grounds this weekend unless there was a directive from higher up that they couldnt clash with the Masters games??
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Dirty dog » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:54 am

All hosting clubs this weekend will be using their committee, volunteers,canteen workers etc etc to run the masters games. They voted against playing on this weekend thus why we have a bye. Our clubs and league committee aren’t fools, there’s no easy solution to this
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:28 am

Dirty dog wrote:All hosting clubs this weekend will be using their committee, volunteers,canteen workers etc etc to run the masters games. They voted against playing on this weekend thus why we have a bye. Our clubs and league committee aren’t fools, there’s no easy solution to this

Fair enough, i wasnt suggesting they were.
Wouldnt be the end of the world to play June long weekend would it? I know netball has country Champs in Adelaide and probably wouldnt play and that could effect crowds. Netball could play a catch up game on the Zone champs weekend or mid week. Anything is better than playing AFL GF weekend
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:32 am

Dirty dog wrote:All hosting clubs this weekend will be using their committee, volunteers,canteen workers etc etc to run the masters games. They voted against playing on this weekend thus why we have a bye. Our clubs and league committee aren’t fools, there’s no easy solution to this

Would've needed to start the week before Easter to fit it all in.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:52 am

whufc wrote:

Could they not have a bye the week before finals like in the AFL and then have your prelim on AFL GF day and your GF the week after.

October long weekend is the following week WHUFC. The Adelaide Footy League had the 2020 D1 and D2 GF's on the Oct L/W but last year was unique and it wasn't the original plan. Ground availability and COVID rules for the 6 or 7 GFs the weekend before meant they were forced to make this change about halfway into the shortened season. I don't think any league outside the SANFL has ever gone that deep with GF day for obvious reasons.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Dirty dog » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:57 am

daysofourlives wrote:

Wouldnt be the end of the world to play June long weekend would it? I know netball has country Champs in Adelaide and probably wouldnt play and that could effect crowds. Netball could play a catch up game on the Zone champs weekend or mid week. Anything is better than playing AFL GF weekend

All clubs voted to play June long weekend but SANFL knocked back the league’s request. It’s the most logical solution, maybe we just have to go rogue and play anyways.
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Postby The Ash Man » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:02 pm

Dirty dog wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

All clubs voted to play June long weekend but SANFL knocked back the league’s request. It’s the most logical solution, maybe we just have to go rogue and play anyways.

Yet they allow Juniors to play at 8:30am on Anzac Day
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:18 pm

Dirty dog wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Whats that got to do with the SANFL? I understand the Zone weekend but June long weekend? Are they in bed with SANA?
So to be clear did they refuse a request to play on both the weekend of Zone champs(July) and the June long weekend?
Id definitely be going rogue and playing June long weekend
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:25 pm

There are no restrictions on ANZAC morning sport and entertainment if it is not a ticketed event. And that means the ability to pre-purchase tickets rather than just pay an entry fee at the gate/door such as country leagues and sports like netball and basketball. In fact the RSL are more than happy for junior sport being played on ANZAC morning particularly if there is some recognition of the significance of the day that the young folk can take away with them.

I just can't work out how the SANFL would have a say in whether a league plays on the June LW or not. We all love that mid-season break but if clubs supported it as a one-off then why not. The RMFL season commenced on 20 March which seems crazy to me and the SANFL didn't stop that.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Down the Hill wrote:There are no restrictions on ANZAC morning sport and entertainment if it is not a ticketed event. And that means the ability to pre-purchase tickets rather than just pay an entry fee at the gate/door such as country leagues and sports like netball and basketball. In fact the RSL are more than happy for junior sport being played on ANZAC morning particularly if there is some recognition of the significance of the day that the young folk can take away with them.

I just can't work out how the SANFL would have a say in whether a league plays on the June LW or not. We all love that mid-season break but if clubs supported it as a one-off then why not. The RMFL season commenced on 20 March which seems crazy to me and the SANFL didn't stop that.

I might be old school or completely out of the loop but I thought everything was off limits before noon on ANZAC Day besides RSL's.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:23 pm

Even breathing LM?

There are many things off limits on Anzac morning but not as many as people think. Some activities, whether business or recreation, that aren't restricted by law will still not occur by choice rather than by force. It's obvious that Anzac Day falls on a Saturday or Sunday on average 2 every 7 years and most local winter sports have been business as usual for many years when this occurs. It's mainly junior sport because that is the age group that normally plays before 12 noon on a Saturday or Sunday.

Too many urban myths out there.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy