Australian Domestic Cricket 2020-21

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian Domestic Cricket 2020-21

Postby Minimum Chips » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:27 am

I believe the exit interviews for the Redbacks were held earlier this week and all of the "cuts" have been confirmed and communicated. There's quite a few to replace for next season so it's going to be interesting to see who comes in.
I'd suspect (as has been mentioned before on here) that S Kerber and Gibson would be likely (and possibly Johnson?). I'd think Capel would/should be in line for a Rookie spot. Not sure whether Pope and possibly Scott and C Kelly get upgraded (although given Scott and Kelly are only 20 they may keep them on rookie deals to leave space for others?). That still leaves a fair bit of room so interesting to see who they target from interstate? Can't think of any other locals (apart from a couple who may get rookie deals?).
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:51 am

Minimum Chips wrote:I believe the exit interviews for the Redbacks were held earlier this week and all of the "cuts" have been confirmed and communicated. There's quite a few to replace for next season so it's going to be interesting to see who comes in.
I'd suspect (as has been mentioned before on here) that S Kerber and Gibson would be likely (and possibly Johnson?). I'd think Capel would/should be in line for a Rookie spot. Not sure whether Pope and possibly Scott and C Kelly get upgraded (although given Scott and Kelly are only 20 they may keep them on rookie deals to leave space for others?). That still leaves a fair bit of room so interesting to see who they target from interstate? Can't think of any other locals (apart from a couple who may get rookie deals?).

They must have multiple players lined up from interstate to go so heavy on the sackings.
Renshaw, Conway seem to be certainties, id imagine a few fringe players from NSW could be targeted, players who are playing in the final would be a good start. Kurtis Patterson should be one, he has stagnated in NSW. Ashton Turner would be another target for mine, he has gone backwards the last year or so and could benefit from a fresh start.
They need to target a proven fast bowler besides Conway. WA have a few that should be gettable.

Renshaw
Hunt
Head
Patterson
Turner
Carey
Nielsen
Worrall
Conway
Paris
Spinner
Looks a real good team apart from the spinning issue, not sure we can fix that

Both Sangha's could be worth a look
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:27 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Minimum Chips wrote:I believe the exit interviews for the Redbacks were held earlier this week and all of the "cuts" have been confirmed and communicated. There's quite a few to replace for next season so it's going to be interesting to see who comes in.

They must have multiple players lined up from interstate to go so heavy on the sackings.
Renshaw, Conway seem to be certainties, id imagine a few fringe players from NSW could be targeted, players who are playing in the final would be a good start. Kurtis Patterson should be one, he has stagnated in NSW. Ashton Turner would be another target for mine, he has gone backwards the last year or so and could benefit from a fresh start.
They need to target a proven fast bowler besides Conway. WA have a few that should be gettable.

Renshaw
Hunt
Head
Patterson
Turner
Carey
Nielsen
Worrall
Conway
Paris
Spinner

Fingers crossed that the spinning problem is solved by simply having more runs on the board to play with. Slight fanciful but scoreboard pressure does sometimes have that affect.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Minimum Chips » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:41 pm

whufc wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Renshaw
Hunt
Head
Patterson
Turner
Carey
Nielsen
Worrall
Conway
Paris
Spinner

Fingers crossed that the spinning problem is solved by simply having more runs on the board to play with. Slight fanciful but scoreboard pressure does sometimes have that affect.

It's a difficult one to work out as I acknowledge that while we need to recruit to get us out of this mess, it's important to make sure there's room for younger locals, otherwise why bother having juniors.
I firmly believe that our best juniors are as good as any in Australia - it's just that there's not as many of them. However one of the issues seems to have been the pathway system over recent times where I think they are "lost" after the 19s is done. I don't think just cutting grade clubs will be the answer - it's also got to do with the coaching/mentoring they can get to develop them. The "emerging" redbacks program just seemed to be net sessions with not much coaching going on and bowlers getting bowled into the ground with not much feedback?
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:57 pm

Minimum Chips wrote:
whufc wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Renshaw
Hunt
Head
Patterson
Turner
Carey
Nielsen
Worrall
Conway
Paris
Spinner

It's a difficult one to work out as I acknowledge that while we need to recruit to get us out of this mess, it's important to make sure there's room for younger locals, otherwise why bother having juniors.
I firmly believe that our best juniors are as good as any in Australia - it's just that there's not as many of them. However one of the issues seems to have been the pathway system over recent times where I think they are "lost" after the 19s is done. I don't think just cutting grade clubs will be the answer - it's also got to do with the coaching/mentoring they can get to develop them. The "emerging" redbacks program just seemed to be net sessions with not much coaching going on and bowlers getting bowled into the ground with not much feedback?

How bout we have a side thats so strong that local juniors need to absolutely bang the door down before they are picked. Thats a great starting point, currently they are selected before they are ready and before they deserve their opportunity. Lets be honest, none of the juniors we have selected in recent times have deserved their opportunity if the bar to be selected was raised. Even with so many clubs and a supposed poor standard none of them dominate at grade level.
Im old enough to remember blokes making 1000 plus runs in grade cricket for a couple seasons before they got a look in. Coincidentally that was around about the time we last won the shield
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:07 pm

I guess we can bang on about who we recruit now. We've been banging on for years about the grade system being a joke and nothing has changed there so we might as well hire mercenaries.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:10 pm

NSW 143

QLD 1/131
Street 37*
Marnus 71*

Hazlewood 1/27
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:21 pm

Booney wrote:I guess we can bang on about who we recruit now. We've been banging on for years about the grade system being a joke and nothing has changed there so we might as well hire mercenaries.
Finally!
I’ve been saying this for years.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:40 pm

Booney wrote:NSW 143

QLD 1/131
Street 37*
Marnus 71*

Hazlewood 1/27

I'm going out on a limb here and calling it early, I think Queensland will get up here.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby the smokey » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:12 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:I guess we can bang on about who we recruit now. We've been banging on for years about the grade system being a joke and nothing has changed there so we might as well hire mercenaries.
Finally!
I’ve been saying this for years.

They have to come from interstate as the structure we have here in SA hasn't worked for way too long..... how many blokes who average 50-60 at grade level have been tried at first-class level and don't make it.
Try capel and I hope he makes it - bringing back Kelvin Smith who in 20 first class matches averages 20 - not worth wasting your time going back to the well on that one.

Let's hope Worden continues to show what he has and then he can have a go in 12-24 months but the grade system is turning out these blokes with high averages only to see that they aren't good enough and in some cases nowhere near good enough for first-class cricket.
the smokey
Rookie

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:23 pm

2/210

Burns 20
Street 46
Marnus 112*
Khawaja 22*

They've shut the gates, the place is full.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:06 pm

Queensland currently 3/276
Labuschagne 156*
F**k yeah up the Marn!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10328 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:34 pm

Bloody sad the Aussie bowling line up can only take 2 wickets in a day

Shows how good Cummins is

Has Marnus gone past Smith?
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1434 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby locky801 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:54 pm

Armchair expert wrote:

Easily IMO ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3698 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:13 pm

Queensland 3/286 at stumps day two, lead by 143.
Labuschagne 160*
Renshaw 2*
NSW trying everything even giving Sangha and Edwards a bowl but Queensland are in complete control.
Armchair expert wrote:

No he hasn't but his hunger for runs is just as big as Smith's and he's continuing to get better. Today's hundred was his 4th for the Shield season and 8th in Shield cricket.

It's been well documented on here by various posters about how much they don't like him but I think people should come to appreciate has good he has been since bursting onto the scene and enjoy the fact we currently have a very good, consistent and well balanced number three which we haven't had and have been looking for since Ponting retired. I for one am enjoying his success, I love seeing him making runs because I know how important he is to Australia as our number three. I can't wait to see how he goes in the Ashes later this year.

His innings highlights from today are definitely worth a watch- his driving, cutting and pulling, sweeping and reverse sweeping and in particular his glancing/flicking through the on side was absolutely on point.

From what I saw there was none of his usual antics that people don't like, no dicking around apart from some friendly banter with the NSW players especially Nathan Lyon and his century celebration was quite a sincere celebration, nothing over the top.
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby mal » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:05 am

The general rule with domestic cricket
The BIGger the population the better that state should be
Realistically SA should never be better than NS or VI
The only solution to even up the Domestic comp would be to introduce a draft system
That aint likely to ever happen with SS cricket so far behind the BBL these days in popularity

Using the BIGger population example
This is a reason why India should be the most dominant cricket team in the galaxy
At present thier depth of cricketers is arguably much better than better than Australias
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby Armchair expert » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:49 am

I think using populations is a bit of a cop out

India might have 100x the population but they aren't 100x as good at cricket

When you get to the very top level then I don't think populations matter as much as long as you have the correct development systems in place, identity talent - nurture talent - develop talent then you should be at a minimum competitive .
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1434 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Australian Domestic Cricket 2020-21

Postby Jim05 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:04 pm

Armchair expert wrote:I think using populations is a bit of a cop out

When you get to the very top level then I don't think populations matter as much as long as you have the correct development systems in place, identity talent - nurture talent - develop talent then you should be at a minimum competitive .
Yep, Tasmania won 3 Shields in 7 years with a population under 1/3 of SA
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:59 pm

Queensland 389
Labuschagne 192
Abbott 4/71

NSW 5/140, trail by trail by 106.
Hughes 40
Bartlett 3/31

Bad light stopped play and therefore stumps were called.

Armchair expert wrote:I think using populations is a bit of a cop out

I listened to Greg Chappell on the Grade Cricketer Podcast during the summer and the guys asked him about India's population in regards to how strong they could be as a cricket nation. He said during the time as a coach there he believed if India could get there first class set up and path to the national team right they could be the best team in the world 10 times over as they have so much uncapped talent. They've obviously got it better over the last decade and we are starting to see that come to fruition right now.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:11 pm

Queensland win the final by an innings and 33 runs and claim the 9th Shield title.
NSW bowled out for 213 in their second innings, Doggett, Bartlett and Swepson all took 3 wickets each.
Labuschagne is the man of the match and Nathan Lyon is named man of the tournament.
The Dark Knight
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket