R3 Centrals v Glenelg Saturday 2.10PM

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R3 Centrals v Glenelg Saturday 2.10PM

Postby Apachebulldog » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:12 pm

If Hosie and the Bean would of kicked straight it would of blown out to 10 goal slaughter.

Ah well there is always next week,
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby am Bays » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:28 pm

I’ll take a W no matter how ugly or how small the margin over Centrals out there any day.

Still suffering from the PTSD from every trip I ever made with our League team for over two decades!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby StrayDog » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:00 am

Apachebulldog wrote:If Hosie and the Bean would of kicked straight it would of blown out to 10 goal slaughter.

Ah well there is always next week,

If the delicious home-made chicken parmigianas I had last week had no toppings they would have been plain but tasty chicken schnitzels, so I guess it's been a better week than it could have been. :D

Our blokes missed two in three. If they "would of" have kicked a bit straighter and spotted a couple of better options (Hosko open in the last, for example) they might have got within a few goals. Didn't. As I said, margin was about right. Glenelg did what they had to do to get the points comfortably - à la the CDFC for many years.

FWIW, I'd have taken a ten goal "slaughter" over one or two other results this week, which I'd suggest were a bit closer to the concept.

I'm hoping the 'Dogs can string a few together in the coming weeks, they're certainly capable.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Hazydog » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:33 am

Glenelg impressed me yesterday, and coming off beating the Eagles the week before are clearly one of, if not the early premiership favourites. McBean, Reynolds and Hosie (who took my eye as a youngster playing in a trial against the Dogs a few years ago) are in a different class to any of our tall forwards, and that’s not meant as a derogatory comment as our group of talls are very much in development mode. Throw in Pink and that’s a potent mix. Of course it didn’t help when our only genuinely tall defender in Fort was injured in the first 10 minutes and ended up going back on as a forward I assume just to help with rotations. Even allowing for the Bays wastefulness in front of goal (we weren’t much better) I thought we battled on manfully and am still encouraged by the improvement we have within the group.
Here’s hoping for a couple more Crows to suffer minor injuries today keeping them out for just the one week which will weaken their Reserves next week and give us a chance to sneak another win and boost the confidence...
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby am Bays » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:49 pm

Pseudo wrote:
am Bays wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Just watch last night's game, it was much more entertaining. ;)

Nah, I’ve got the DVD of the 1 goal 3 game from 2008, rather watch that if I want watch Norwood get spanked like a naughty puppy whose done a pile of Pooh on new carpet from Carpet Call!

That reminds me - years ago I said if the Bays ever won another flag, I'd find a copy of the game where the Bays kicked 1.4 at the Parade and watch it again. Any idea where I could find a copy this many years after the event? I reckon I'd need a copy of your game too (Norwood's 1.3) to watch immediately after 8)

If you're at the ANZAC day game next Sat night ;) , I can give* you a DVD of the 2008 game.

Warning, it's better than p0rn :D
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby StrayDog » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:39 pm

Hazydog wrote:Glenelg impressed me yesterday, and coming off beating the Eagles the week before are clearly one of, if not the early premiership favourites...

No doubt about it, very good side.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:41 am

As posted earlier, any win at Elizabeth is a good win. When was the last time we won 3 straight out there?
Looking at the scoreboard & seeing 2.8 (should’ve been 7.3) you can’t help think a more experienced team will make you pay. The 4 qtr effort (like last week) was definitely there, just need a bit more polish. Having said that Centrals missed 3 “gettables” just before half time too. They’ve definitely
improved on last year, just lacked a target up front.
Partington best for mine along with Curran, Hosie & Hannath. Good start to the season, the league, B grade, U18’s all undefeated, woman sit second on the ladder & the U16’s are through to the GF.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby DOC » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:30 pm

Impressive start by Glenelg and why they are certainties to win all 5 grades.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:51 pm

Spargo wrote:As posted earlier, any win at Elizabeth is a good win. When was the last time we won 3 straight out there?
Looking at the scoreboard & seeing 2.8 (should’ve been 7.3) you can’t help think a more experienced team will make you pay. The 4 qtr effort (like last week) was definitely there, just need a bit more polish. Having said that Centrals missed 3 “gettables” just before half time too. They’ve definitely
Partington best for mine along with Curran, Hosie & Hannath. Good start to the season, the league, B grade, U18’s all undefeated, woman sit second on the ladder & the U16’s are through to the GF.

Second week in a row that Glenelg have been horrible in front of goal? Had you blokes kicked straight against the Eagles the other week then it likely would have been over for us at half time. By all accounts bad kicking on the weekend avoided a blow-out.

Is there a particular (same) culprit or is it just that the shots are being taken from difficult locations?
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:17 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
Spargo wrote:As posted earlier, any win at Elizabeth is a good win. When was the last time we won 3 straight out there?

Second week in a row that Glenelg have been horrible in front of goal? Had you blokes kicked straight against the Eagles the other week then it likely would have been over for us at half time. By all accounts bad kicking on the weekend avoided a blow-out.

Is there a particular (same) culprit or is it just that the shots are being taken from difficult locations?

On the weekend, Hosie 3.3, McBean 1.3, Motlop 0.3
Amongst others I would say they all were gettable.

Spargo
Coach

Postby ferret » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:28 pm

Hazydog wrote:Glenelg impressed me yesterday, and coming off beating the Eagles the week before are clearly one of, if not the early premiership favourites. McBean, Reynolds and Hosie (who took my eye as a youngster playing in a trial against the Dogs a few years ago) are in a different class to any of our tall forwards, and that’s not meant as a derogatory comment as our group of talls are very much in development mode. Throw in Pink and that’s a potent mix. Of course it didn’t help when our only genuinely tall defender in Fort was injured in the first 10 minutes and ended up going back on as a forward I assume just to help with rotations. Even allowing for the Bays wastefulness in front of goal (we weren’t much better) I thought we battled on manfully and am still encouraged by the improvement we have within the group.
Here’s hoping for a couple more Crows to suffer minor injuries today keeping them out for just the one week which will weaken their Reserves next week and give us a chance to sneak another win and boost the confidence...

You won't need that to get you a win, they were just plain bloody awful. Reckon a couple of SANFL reserve teams could have beaten them. The Crows need to decide what their reserves team is all about.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby StrayDog » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:28 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:

1.2 to 1.5 in the first, 0.4 to 4.5 in the second. Sure, Glenelg 'getting the gettables' would have seen the visitors 50-ish up by the half but, as Spargo pointed out, with four shots to nine, the 'Dogs couldn't buy a goal in time on in the second. Misses to Hosko, T. Schiller and Grace inside four minutes.

Sides pretty much took it in turns troubling the scorers after the main break, 4.6 to 5.6. As mentioned, Glenelg did all they had to get the points comfortably.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby StrayDog » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:20 pm

Last run of two or more on the trot out here was '83, '84, '85, '86 (2, 28, 2 and 4 points respectively) . Since then Glenelg's record out here has been six from 35.

Previous and only run before that was '64, '66 and '67 (41, 16 and 36 points) The other seven have all been singles. '69, '71, '73, '76, '90, '92 and '08.
17* wins in total from 52 games. FWIW, pretty close to the average success rate for away sides here against Centrals historically.

42 points was actually the lowest score Centrals have scored against Glenelg at home, previous record being 46 points in 1964.

76 points also Glenelg's lowest winning score at Elizabeth, previous low was 82 points in 1966.

For the first time ever, Glenelg's consecutive wins at Elizabeth have all been over 30 points and totalled over 100 points (currently 49, 33 and 34 = 116. Previous best 93 points)

FWIW, the last time Glenelg held Centrals to 50 points or under out here was 2010. Good thing for us is that your guys got half that. :D
Miserable wet blowy day that was, I smelt like a mouldy hessian sack by the end of it. Still, the win and a hug from a player's mum more than made up for it. 8)

* I think Glenelg played the Maggies out here circa 1970, not sure what the result was as my source's server has crapped out.

https://australianfootball.com

Edit:- Thanks to RB and Spargo for that Glenelg v Port info below.
Last edited by StrayDog on Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:00 pm

Bloody Hell. What a terrible record.

Please don't look up Souths.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 724 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby StrayDog » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:19 pm

DOC wrote:Bloody Hell. What a terrible record.

Please don't look up Souths.

Okay. ;)

Although I will say South's win/loss record here is just a tad below the average for away sides. I'll leave it at that. :D
Last edited by StrayDog on Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Postby RB » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:24 pm

StrayDog wrote:I think Glenelg played the Maggies out here circa 1970, not sure what the result was as my source's server has crapped out.

It was Round 1, 1971. Not sure what the result was. I have a feeling it was the biggest crowd at Elizabeth to that point.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:39 pm

RB wrote:
StrayDog wrote:I think Glenelg played the Maggies out here circa 1970, not sure what the result was as my source's server has crapped out.

It was Round 1, 1971. Not sure what the result was. I have a feeling it was the biggest crowd at Elizabeth to that point.

Glenelg 17.9
Port 18.20

Spargo
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL