European Super League

The World Game

Re: European Super League

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:52 am

All 6 EPL clubs are out and appears the SL has collapsed.
Ed Woodward quits as United Chairman over the backlash from players and fans
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:41 am

Jim05 wrote:All 6 EPL clubs are out and appears the SL has collapsed.

Find this weird as I agree with JK in that the ultimate motive was to push for better CL conditions in their favour eg guaranteed spot in the comp.

Surely the owners expected the level of backlash they received , I know there not extremely close to the fans or the traditions but surely their advisors/board members had an idea the feedback was coming.

I'm wondering whether it had UEFA scared enough that some deals have been over the last 24 hours about the future of the CL.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:25 am

Titus O'Reilly :

Even AFLX managed two seasons.

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 am

whufc wrote:

Find this weird as I agree with JK in that the ultimate motive was to push for better CL conditions in their favour eg guaranteed spot in the comp.

Surely the owners expected the level of backlash they received , I know there not extremely close to the fans or the traditions but surely their advisors/board members had an idea the feedback was coming.

I'm wondering whether it had UEFA scared enough that some deals have been over the last 24 hours about the future of the CL.

The motive of those 12 clubs was to force UEFA into major changes to the Champions League, but the backlash they have received hands all of the power back to UEFA. UEFA and the 12 clubs now know a breakaway competition can't work. Will be interesting to see what the Champions League looks like in 21/22. Hopefully, Leicester and West Ham are representing England.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:41 am

Well that lasted almost half a week!
I'd like to see all clubs involved still punished in some way on top of the irreparable damage they've already done with their fans.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2022 times
Been liked: 3866 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:52 am

Great news to wake up to that sanity has prevailed!! Wedgie I’m not sure about other clubs but ours will be punished internally I’d say, pretty sure LFC will forever be protesting against our owners now.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby tigerpie » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:54 am

Gary Neville didn't hold back.
Very passionate guy and ripped into the united administration.
Can you imagine the whole of Manchester not being in the premier league.
There'd be riots!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby RB » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:18 am

tigerpie wrote:Can you imagine the whole of Manchester not being in the premier league.
There'd be riots!

Funny you say that, as I've read that the crime rate drops considerably in Manchester when either of the 2 big teams are playing at home.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:45 am

The big clubs got what they wanted in a way. Champions League increased to a bigger format and with more games and dollars with 4 “invited” clubs per year able to be added on “historical value” so on any given year if any of the big clubs miss out on CL qualification on their own merit they can be added. Rumoured that UEFA has “paid” the EPL clubs to pull out of the SL aswell
Jim05
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:19 am

Jim05 wrote:The big clubs got what they wanted in a way. Champions League increased to a bigger format and with more games and dollars with 4 “invited” clubs per year able to be added on “historical value” so on any given year if any of the big clubs miss out on CL qualification on their own merit they can be added. Rumoured that UEFA has “paid” the EPL clubs to pull out of the SL aswell

I can't say Im across all the cloak and dagger details, but I thought the "bigger" clubs didn't want to see the number of UCL participants increased? If anything I thought they wanted a reduction?

Either way I don't care too much now .. The setup of football leagues with their promotion/relegation and qualification systems have usually been the envy of other codes (just on Aussie Rules how many times over the years have people discussed and wished for promotion/relegation??) and represent a fairness for all to control their own destiny to a fair degree (obviously $$ can be prohibitive for many).
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:31 pm

JK wrote:
Jim05 wrote:The big clubs got what they wanted in a way. Champions League increased to a bigger format and with more games and dollars with 4 “invited” clubs per year able to be added on “historical value” so on any given year if any of the big clubs miss out on CL qualification on their own merit they can be added. Rumoured that UEFA has “paid” the EPL clubs to pull out of the SL aswell

I can't say Im across all the cloak and dagger details, but I thought the "bigger" clubs didn't want to see the number of UCL participants increased? If anything I thought they wanted a reduction?

Either way I don't care too much now .. The setup of football leagues with their promotion/relegation and qualification systems have usually been the envy of other codes (just on Aussie Rules how many times over the years have people discussed and wished for promotion/relegation??) and represent a fairness for all to control their own destiny to a fair degree (obviously $$ can be prohibitive for many).

Yeah agree, they wanted a reduction of teams but a guaranteed spot almost.

Maybe UEFA has met them half way, still going ahead with the extra teams but then throwing in the historical value bullshit.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:33 pm

Side note, we have heard all about the EPL 6.

Whats happening with the other 6 teams, have they seen the same supporter backlash, were they planning on pulling out before the breakdown?
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:41 pm

whufc wrote:Side note, we have heard all about the EPL 6.

Whats happening with the other 6 teams, have they seen the same supporter backlash, were they planning on pulling out before the breakdown?
According to fan polls, all of the EPL sides had only about a 5-10% of fans who supported the move. The Spanish clubs were up around 20-30% and Juventus was over 50%
Real Madrid and Juventus haven’t ruled out pushing for it again down the track
Jim05
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:50 pm

Jim05 wrote:4 “invited” clubs per year able to be added on “historical value” so on any given year if any of the big clubs miss out on CL qualification on their own merit they can be added.

What utter crap. Honestly, what's wrong with having to qualify for tournaments? Do they not see that making it hard (even for some of the big teams) to qualify adds to the prestige?

E.g. imagine if Italy or Holland had been 'added' to the 2018 World Cup despite not qualifying.
RB
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:52 pm

And I should add that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' surely applies here.
RB
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:53 pm

Jim05 wrote:

According to fan polls, all of the EPL sides had only about a 5-10% of fans who supported the move. The Spanish clubs were up around 20-30% and Juventus was over 50%

I'm wondering in Juventus case the support is so high because they have literally taken the piss out of their comp to the point they feel they need a new challenge.
whufc
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:06 pm

whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

I'm wondering in Juventus case the support is so high because they have literally taken the piss out of their comp to the point they feel they need a new challenge.

I'd guess that like most of the bigger clubs, they have leveraged themselves so heavily (like I said only a guess and Jim would know better) that with the drop in Revenue in the Pandemic era they desperately needed it to go ahead from a financial perspective. To that end, I was surprised Barca pulled out because they appear to be on a seriously financial precipice.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:32 pm

JK wrote:
whufc wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

I'd guess that like most of the bigger clubs, they have leveraged themselves so heavily (like I said only a guess and Jim would know better) that with the drop in Revenue in the Pandemic era they desperately needed it to go ahead from a financial perspective. To that end, I was surprised Barca pulled out because they appear to be on a seriously financial precipice.
Clubs only pulled out because they knew the comp was doomed this time around.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:26 pm

It's been a fascinating season in La Liga. Could the karma bus hit the big 3 late in the season allowing Sevilla to snatch the title? Atheltico looked to have a stranglehold on the title a couple of months back, but have fallen in a big hole. Barcelona started very slowly, caught up, but blew their chance to go top when they lost to Granada this morning. Real Madrid have been around the mark, but just when you think they are on a roll, they drop points, like the nil all draw last weekend with Real Betis. That leaves Sevilla, who are the form side in the competition. I suspect the title will be decided next weekend whem Barcelona play Athletico Madrid and Real Madrid play Sevilla. I hope Sevilla keep their winning going and prevail over those ESL wannabes.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer