R4 Eagles v North Sunday 2.10PM

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R4 Eagles v North Sunday 2.10PM

Postby Aerie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:20 pm

Gutsy win!

Jack Hayes dropped the easiest chest mark 30m out directly in front which would’ve put Eagles 5 goals up in the 2nd. As it turned out, North went down the other end and scored a goal. Then another straight after and from there an arm wrestle. Neither team took their opportunities with the breeze in the 2nd half - both defences outstanding. In the end, Sinor showed his character and kicked the winning goal and the Eagles held on.

A really important win. Rowland with the Bob Quinn medal well deserved.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby MJP1993 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:03 pm

Aerie wrote:Gutsy win!

Jack Hayes dropped the easiest chest mark 30m out directly in front which would’ve put Eagles 5 goals up in the 2nd. As it turned out, North went down the other end and scored a goal. Then another straight after and from there an arm wrestle. Neither team took their opportunities with the breeze in the 2nd half - both defences outstanding. In the end, Sinor showed his character and kicked the winning goal and the Eagles held on.

A really important win. Rowland with the Bob Quinn medal well deserved.

Great post Aerie

Well done Rowland
As a side note Sheedy won the medal playing for sturt and coaches the winner of this years medal
Spelly any records on this ?
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby MJP1993 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:32 pm

Before my phone battery dies to the idiots having a punch up at the end of the game
That was absolutely disgusting
I don’t know who started it
At the end of the game people trying to leave and these guys were fighting
My daughter almost got hit trying to avoid the fight worried about me getting past
Fighting at footy games is. Shit and security was outside the gate
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby Dutchy » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:09 pm

When I checked the scores/stats at 3/4 time it said North only had 15 Inside 50's up to that point, was this correct?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby MJP1993 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:12 pm

Dutchy wrote:When I checked the scores/stats at 3/4 time it said North only had 15 Inside 50's up to that point, was this correct?

Could be . I know for sure in the third when the ball went into the eagles forward line just about every north player was in the 50.
The eagles played into north’s hands by bombing it in long straight to north .
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby Wedgie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:49 pm

Dutchy wrote:When I checked the scores/stats at 3/4 time it said North only had 15 Inside 50's up to that point, was this correct?

Doubt it as they ended with 33 and it wasn't there a hell of a lot in the last.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Columbo » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:06 pm

Wedgie wrote:

Doubt it as they ended with 33 and it wasn't there a hell of a lot in the last.

Pretty sure it was 46-18 inside 50's at 3/4 time, ended up 52-33.
Strange game, as was the reserves, Eagles up by 51 points at 3/4 time and won by 8.
Congratulations to Sam Rowland for winning the Bob Quinn medal, consistent and very underrated player.
Good to see the North players and coaches having a drink upstairs in the club post game.
Trust the process.
Columbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby eddie eagle » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:39 am

Great Win against the cheats.

After the cheats hit the front by a point, less than 5 minutes in the last I thought they would have gone on with it. They had a stack of 50 metre entries in the last quarter as per the stats referred to earlier. Subsequent easy misses from Allmond & Barns, along with our defence kept us in it until Joey kicked truly a difficult kick into the wind.

To then hit the front with only a couple of minutes left showed plenty of ticker.

As for the peanuts trying to fight after the game, I'd blame the bearded drunk North supporter whom I will refer to as ****. He left after the initial fracas, diffused well by a supporter stepping in. Incredibly the **** came back 5 minutes later to have a go, this time at a digger wearing his medals. All class from the ****.
eddie eagle
Under 16s

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:04 am

Eddie, is it true you didn't make a post here between 23/9/2015 and 19/10/2020?

Just asking as I'd hate for anyone to generalise about Eagles fans. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby ferret » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:56 am

locky801 wrote:Obviously wasnt, Chooks lose, going to be a big effort for them to make finals already, big game against the bays next week

Why would you say this. One win out of the five, good percentage and 14 matches to go.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 136 times

Postby ferret » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:58 am

I'm sure it was 46 to 18 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ferret
Reserves

Postby wedgetail » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:27 am

A scrappy but entertaining arm wrestle. Thought North would win coming home with the 3-4 goal wind in the last quarter and roll us. Like North did in the third quarter, our defence was resolute and pressure on the ball carrier intense. Eagles bombed the ball forward with little system too often in the third quarter and played into North's hands. Was risky not playing Redden against North's behemoths and their on ballers got silver service. Lonergan with his big body would have been handy. Liked the look of Hilder for North.
Ugly fracas at the end of the game on the scoreboard hill. Was a bit of banter during the game but nothing out of the ordinary. Two bearded North supporters, obviously disappointed at the loss and possibly reacting to celebrating Eagles supporters stormed over and there was physical grappling and a lot of vile language. Got sorted but to come back 3-4 mins later and want to continue it was uncalled for.
Not the first time this has happened at this spot in the past few years between these two clubs. Security showed little, if any presence.
Hats off to Surjan and his players for attending Eagles' presentations.
Hats off to Christine Williams (Eagles president/chairperson) who attended to an obnoxious and inebriated patron who was ejected from the clubrooms by security after wanting to fight. He was sitting on the footpath in disarray with Christine tending to him as I left. I had never seen the guy before so don't know his connections to either club.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby o five » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:59 am

eddie eagle wrote:Great Win against the cheats.

After the cheats hit the front by a point, less than 5 minutes in the last I thought they would have gone on with it. They had a stack of 50 metre entries in the last quarter as per the stats referred to earlier. Subsequent easy misses from Allmond & Barns, along with our defence kept us in it until Joey kicked truly a difficult kick into the wind.

To then hit the front with only a couple of minutes left showed plenty of ticker.

As for the peanuts trying to fight after the game, I'd blame the bearded drunk North supporter whom I will refer to as ****. He left after the initial fracas, diffused well by a supporter stepping in. Incredibly the **** came back 5 minutes later to have a go, this time at a digger wearing his medals. All class from the ****.

And here is the post that keeps that fire in the belly for both supporter groups. People scratch their heads about a minor scuffle at the football? here is why. :x
P.S I don`t condone violence at the football when there are kids and elderley around, but any other time when some one
has a smart mouth like someone who hides behind a computer is probably asking for a good clip behind the ears.
Last edited by o five on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
o five
Under 16s

Has liked: 219 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby MJP1993 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:24 am

wedgetail wrote:A scrappy but entertaining arm wrestle. Thought North would win coming home with the 3-4 goal wind in the last quarter and roll us. Like North did in the third quarter, our defence was resolute and pressure on the ball carrier intense. Eagles bombed the ball forward with little system too often in the third quarter and played into North's hands. Was risky not playing Redden against North's behemoths and their on ballers got silver service. Lonergan with his big body would have been handy. Liked the look of Hilder for North.
Ugly fracas at the end of the game on the scoreboard hill. Was a bit of banter during the game but nothing out of the ordinary. Two bearded North supporters, obviously disappointed at the loss and possibly reacting to celebrating Eagles supporters stormed over and there was physical grappling and a lot of vile language. Got sorted but to come back 3-4 mins later and want to continue it was uncalled for.
Not the first time this has happened at this spot in the past few years between these two clubs. Security showed little, if any presence.
Hats off to Surjan and his players for attending Eagles' presentations.
Hats off to Christine Williams (Eagles president/chairperson) who attended to an obnoxious and inebriated patron who was ejected from the clubrooms by security after wanting to fight. He was sitting on the footpath in disarray with Christine tending to him as I left. I had never seen the guy before so don't know his connections to either club.

And my daughter worried about me on a walking stick almost got hit in the face by the people fighting .
She somehow couldn’t avoid the fight being worried about me I went wider and walked into a fan I said sorry nice guy looked at me carrying a chair and with a walking stick like me he was relieved said it’s ok .
The security guard was outside the gate nowhere near the fight
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby ferret » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:41 pm

Great to see Goldy back in defence to give more stability. A few old wise heads in Giuffreda, Thompson, Goldy and Rowlands did an extremely good job in tight situations to limit the Roosters opportunities. At times I think Eagle supporters take Goldy for granted and overlook the wonderful service he has given the club. Not an extrovert, but as a multiskilled player he just sneaks under the radar.
ferret
Reserves

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:05 pm

Did the Menzels play?
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Eagles Nest » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:24 pm

Gutsy win by the Eagles and not expected at 3/4 time.
Eagles players counted it as a loss internally but happy to bank the points.

Kudos to some of the North coaches and players for coming upstairs and mixing well with the Eagles players and staying for presentations.
Allmond was conspicuous by his absence, maybe his Wife pulled rank again.

Unfortunate that the day in the outer was spoilt by the usual group of NA "supporters", trouble seems to follow this group.
Children especially should not have to listen to their vile language and unsociable behaviour.
They are an embarrassment to their Club and brand damaging for the SANFL.
It's about time Greg Edwards and the NAFC Board did something to control them.
Thankfully they stand no where near us at Prospect.
Eagles Nest
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 30 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Aerie » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:15 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:Did the Menzels play?

Troy played on ball and I thought played well. For team balance, I think it’s important he plays more time up the field than down forward, so good signs.

Daniel probably had his quietest game up forward. Should’ve kicked a normal drop punt, 40m out, 45 degree angle, but elected his usual kick around the body from a set shot and kicked out on the full. As good as he is around the body, there comes a distance when the percentages aren’t in your favour for this type of kick. I presume he got through the full game?

So far so good for these two though.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby MJP1993 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:23 pm

Aerie wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:Did the Menzels play?

Troy played on ball and I thought played well. For team balance, I think it’s important he plays more time up the field than down forward, so good signs.

Daniel probably had his quietest game up forward. Should’ve kicked a normal drop punt, 40m out, 45 degree angle, but elected his usual kick around the body from a set shot and kicked out on the full. As good as he is around the body, there comes a distance when the percentages aren’t in your favour for this type of kick. I presume he got through the full game?

So far so good for these two though.

Troy had a great last quarter . Agree with you Aerie he’s great on the ball .
Daniel I’m 50/50 with the kick around the corner
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:24 pm

Good to get the win. I’ll take the points but this wind was certainly nothing to get excited about. A couple of my observations:

1. Our defence was absolutely terrific. The amount of pressure they withstood in the last half was terrific. Glad to see Rowland awarded the medal for his game. Too often the contribution of defenders is overlooked by neutral commentators in favour of midfielders who accumulate more of the ball. Rowland well deserved but thought Giuffreda and Thompson also played superb games.

2. We are not playing footy that will win us a premiership. Our movement forward has been diabolical all season to date with the way we are bombing it in. In previous seasons this hasn’t been so much an issue with Jack and Nick Hayes there who could clunk a big contested mark. But with Hayes spending so much more time in the ruck this season we have lacked a tall presence there so this style does not work. We have replaced them with the mid-sized Menzels who can’t do this and are more opportunists or mark-on-a-lead players. Our midfield and wingers need to adjust to this and start kicking to their advantage.

3. On the Menzels…..not sure whether it is their leading patterns or not but when they do get the ball they seem to be having shots from the pockets. Makes it much harder to kick goals.

4. Riley Knight – continued his terrific season and would be vying with Hayes as our B&F this year to date. He will also give the Magarey a genuine shake which is great to see as we haven’t really had any serious contenders in the last few years.

5. Von Bertouch – needs to have a blowtorch applied to him. Pretty much since mid-last year he has been coasting. Every so often he takes a great contested grab and has the capacity to do this regularly but his work-rate is well down. Watching him on Sunday when he was stationed at CHF he just seems to be jogging around at half pace or standing flat footed not presenting as a target. He needs to be busting a gut leading up and making more contests because he is one of the few we have up forward with height. He will stay in the team so long as Redden is finding fitness and form in the reserves because we need him to support Hayes in the ruck but when the time comes to consider Redden in the team then the Coach will have a big call to make because the risk is we might be too top heavy and slow playing both Von Bertouch and Redden.

6. North – a very good team and I feel they will definitely be around the mark come finals time. The move of Keenan Ramsay to defence looks to be a masterstroke. Both him and Tanner Smith absolutely monstered our forwards marking it every time we went forward.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL