Port Adelaide 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2021

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:45 am

am Bays wrote:How did the PAFC members sub-committee 2021 Premiership t-shirt design meeting go this morning Boon?

No, I’m not letting this go ;)
Attachments
7DD4175D-A32A-48CD-9515-332CAE3DAA25.jpeg
7DD4175D-A32A-48CD-9515-332CAE3DAA25.jpeg (114.35 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby DOC » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:47 am

Booney wrote:
DOC wrote:You normally post who you think the changes will be. Thoughts?

Might be a few I think.

Out - Duursma ( inj ), Butters ( inj ), Ladhams ( omit ) Rozee ( bad corky might not come up )

In - Bergman comes in for Duursma, Woodcock for Butters, Marshall for Ladhams and if Rozee doesn't come up Farrell is the obvious replacement but Mayes might slip in somewhere.

I think Port should travel with Lienert and Mckenzie as cover for Clurey as well. Perhaps a few others should travel for the experience.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:56 am

DOC wrote:
Booney wrote:

Might be a few I think.

Out - Duursma ( inj ), Butters ( inj ), Ladhams ( omit ) Rozee ( bad corky might not come up )

In - Bergman comes in for Duursma, Woodcock for Butters, Marshall for Ladhams and if Rozee doesn't come up Farrell is the obvious replacement but Mayes might slip in somewhere.

I think Port should travel with Lienert and Mckenzie as cover for Clurey as well. Perhaps a few others should travel for the experience.

And with Vic Hotel COVID outbreak to occur this weekend, they’ll have to stay in VIC for the foreseeable future, ie a Month...
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:08 pm

am Bays wrote:
DOC wrote:
Booney wrote:

Might be a few I think.

And with Vic Hotel COVID outbreak to occur this weekend, they’ll have to stay in VIC for the foreseeable future, ie a Month...
Wouldn’t happen to be playing the Bays in the next month by any chance ;)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:17 pm

Duursma and Butters both set to have surgery in the next 24 hours, no time line on their return until the surgeons have seen the damage.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:21 pm

Booney wrote:Duursma and Butters both set to have surgery in the next 24 hours, no time line on their return until the surgeons have seen the damage.

Costly win for the Power Friday.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:27 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Booney wrote:Duursma and Butters both set to have surgery in the next 24 hours, no time line on their return until the surgeons have seen the damage.

Costly win for the Power Friday.
Better than a costly loss though
Jim05
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:43 pm

Any surgery on a ligament is not great. Would not expect Duursma back this year.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm

MW wrote:

Any surgery on a ligament is not great. Would not expect Duursma back this year.
He was confident of it being 10-12. Let’s hope he is right
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:37 am

These are the games Port fans have grown to hate in recent times, the games where we are expected to win and win without too much fuss, all too often we’ve seen these games derail our season but this group feels like it has more about it and on the weekend it showed that much by heading to Melbourne and taking care of Carlton at the MCG by 28 points.

Leading into the game I noted to some mates that the Carlton $1.94 Port $1.90 betting seemed off to me, what was I missing? Port, on the back of a brutal win over Richmond had lost a couple of soldiers but the Blues wins included Fremantle in Melbourne down on big men stocks and Gold Coast away who have no big men at all by just by 11 points. I didn’t see the game being anywhere near that close and my remarks “Is $1.90 a gift?” were bang on. ( Gamble responsibly, use money you find in your wife’s purse ).

It was a genuinely scrappy affair for much of the first half. Good signs early when Dixon marked and kicked truly to get us on the board and the forward line options came into play as Georgiades, Fantasia and Gray all had majors on the board at ¼ time. If Carlton could kick they might have done some more damage going the other way but they can’t, so despite the best efforts of Casboult who, and it doesn’t happen often, had the better of Jonas on the night, the Blues were a goal down at ¼ time and 4 down at half time as Gray exerted some class on the contest. He had 3 by half time, Georgiades had chipped in with another and when Cripps got too close to big Scooter Lycett the big man took advantage of the 50m penalty and slotted it through.

After the main break we were far more polished with our ball use through the midfield as Amon began to cut his way through the Carlton half back line on the back of Wines continuing his excellent start to the season winning midfield ball along with Byrne-Jones taking the game on from the half back line. Amon got due reward with a magnificent contest at half forward followed by a long raking goal on his left, he’s now set himself a standard for his performances and he’s living up to those standards week on week now.

Two other players building in front of our eyes, Georgiades had his most complete game at AFL level, 15 touches, 5 marks, 3 goals, 2 tackles, 5 I50’s while Toddy Marshall felt like he had the break out game I’ve been calling for, 19 touches, 9 marks and a goal and he looked right at home playing the back up ruck role in the second half, might just have found the freedom he needs to get right into the contest.

Defensively we can’t ask anymore of Aliir, he’s been sensational coming into our back mix and he again on the weekend led the way with defensive marking and rebound defending, I’m sure Clurey and Jonas are enjoying his work as much as anyone. Byrne-Jones as noted above offered some rebound, Burton has been quietly effective the last 2 weeks and poor old Hammer couldn’t raise a gallop after copping a big, high corky.

Our forward half did exactly what we want, everyone contributed with Woodcock joining the party late to see all the front 6 hit the scoreboard. Rozee was clearly impacted by his corky, he should be moving more freely this Sunday night when we take on St Kilda at home on Anzac Day.

Boon’s best : Wines, Marshall, Amon, Georgiades, Aliir, Gray.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rising Power » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:45 pm

Booney wrote:
Leading into the game I noted to some mates that the Carlton $1.94 Port $1.90 betting seemed off to me, what was I missing? Port, on the back of a brutal win over Richmond had lost a couple of soldiers but the Blues wins included Fremantle in Melbourne down on big men stocks and Gold Coast away who have no big men at all by just by 11 points. I didn’t see the game being anywhere near that close and my remarks “Is $1.90 a gift?” were bang on. ( Gamble responsibly, use money you find in your wife’s purse ).

Weird odds the last couple of weeks. Quite short @$1.55 v Richmond (got on anyway + either side under 15.5) and too long v Carlton (obviously got on).
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:54 am

You certainly couldn’t say Port are humming along at the moment, feels like we’re a long way off it which makes the win over St Kilda either quite satisfying for Port fans or down right rancid for St’s fans. The lack of effort from the St Kilda side at times was so apparent, damning viewing in the match review for them today. On the flip side the Port review will be mostly about the even contribution across the board. All played well. A couple stood out though.

Early going the Saints offered some fight, you’d expect them too given the bake they got in the media in the last week or two and with 18 I50’s to 7 at ¼ time they looked to have the ascendency, if not for the fact Port had kicked 4.1 from the 7 entries and St Kilda has blazed away with 1.4. They certainly had their opportunities but at the pointy end for Port the signs for St Kilda were ominous. The ease of Ports entries and ability to score was apparent and it was only a matter of time before the Port mids got going and when the I50’s evened up, they were always bound to, the scoreboard would then reflect this. It did.

In the first half hour though it was the skipper Tom Jonas who stood tall across the back 50 often thwarting the St Kilda entries, he then got away from the zone to offer an avenue out of defence and racked up some career high numbers, he had 8 marks ( 3 intercept ) at ¼ time. Attaboy skip.

By ¾ time Port had put another 7 goals on the board, St Kilda just 2 and the middle half of the game was dominated by the home team. Led by Karl Amon in the first half (26 touches at half time) and Steve Motlop with 3 first half goals the Pear looked far more dangerous in attack and far more skilled, the ball use by Port was stymied at times by the St Kilda zone defence but that just gave the likes of Amon, Houston, Burton, Boak, Byrne-Jones, Hartlett, Jonas ( 15 marks ), debutant Frederick, Aliir and ruckman Lycett ( yes, all of them ) to amass 20 or more possessions each. 314 uncontested possessions to 173, 157 marks to 91. It was keepies off like you did with the little brother/sister in the back yard. Only thing was St Kilda’s mum wasn’t there to come out and demand every one play fair.

I didn’t mention Ollie Wines in the number crunch above, his 36 touches ( 13 contested ), 7 I50’s, 8 clearances, 7 mark, 5 tackle game rightly won him the Peter Badcoe VC Medal for best on ground in our annual Anzac Day game. No more deserving winner. Those of you who read through my ramblings each week know how keen I’ve been on Wines’ form this year, right now he should be getting spoken about in the upper echelon of inside midfielders in the competition. His numbers this year are elite, they’re career high and it’s clear the end of 2020 and full preseason has him in the best shape he’s been in and he, and the side, is better for it.

Another notable performance on Sunday night was that of debutant Martin Frederick, a young guy who after being drafted in 2018 as a Cat B rookie from WWT has come into the senior side and looked right at home. The likes of Drew, Frederick, Bergman, Woodcock all bide their time in the SANFL waiting for an opportunity and they’ve all grasped it when it has come along. Frederick looked cool under pressure, confident in his run to take the opposition on and right at home at AFL level.

Could put up the old U8’s “All played well” sign on the weekend, Wines would get the Happy Meal voucher, Amon the hot dog at the canteen and Frederick the coaches encouragement award.

Boon’s best – Wines, Jonas, Amon, Houston, Motlop, Burton, Frederick
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:24 am

Booney wrote:You certainly couldn’t say Port are humming along at the moment, feels like we’re a long way off it

If you call humming along in 3rd gear “a long way off it”, mate, you need to give yourself an uppercut
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:44 am

I thought Fantasia's goal in the first quarter, the swoop, pick up, and snap was a touch of class.

Game over at that point.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:53 am

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:You certainly couldn’t say Port are humming along at the moment, feels like we’re a long way off it

If you call humming along in 3rd gear “a long way off it”, mate, you need to give yourself an uppercut
3rd gear?
They barely got out of 2nd.
Did what they had to, no good wasting energy on the market minnows
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:24 pm

am Bays wrote:

I put the review together pretty quickly this morning mate, I know how much everyone loves them. Funny though, when we got rolled people couldn't wait for it, the other 5 matches they're not so keen. Reckon I got called out as a front runner too. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:25 pm

Booney wrote:Port was stymied at times by the St Kilda zone defence....St Kilda with 18 I50’s to 7 at ¼ time.

For mine this was the most frustrating part of the game, but thankfully we remained patient and St Kilda's work rate dropped off after 1/4 time and from there it was one way traffic.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:40 pm

Booney wrote:Reckon I got called out as a front runner too. :lol:

i've seen your physique, doubt you've ever led the running :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:44 pm

More of a happy clapper than front runner I’d say ;)
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:51 pm

The Bedge wrote:

i've seen your physique, doubt you've ever led the running :P

Only if I think they'd beat me in a blue.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL