Port Adelaide 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2021

Postby Booney » Fri May 21, 2021 4:58 pm

Port Adelaide has connected with all relevant parties in response to social media commentary relating to the club’s Indigenous guernsey for Sir Doug Nicholls Round.

Port Adelaide can now confirm the artwork on the guernsey was originally designed by Aboriginal artist Elle Campbell for a 2019 exhibition at Flinders Medical Centre to celebrate NAIDOC week.

The club met with Ms Campbell this morning who stressed that she wanted the club to wear the design as part of the upcoming Sir Doug Nicholls Round.

“Sir Doug Nicholls Round is important to me and my people and I know it means a lot to Port Adelaide. I don’t want to take anything away from the club or the Indigenous players representing the club,” she said.

“I definitely want Port Adelaide to wear the guernsey with great pride in Sir Doug Nicholls Round.”

Ms Campbell confirmed she had been in contact with the student who claimed to have designed the guernsey as part of the curriculum for the Santos Aboriginal Power Cup.

“The way the Port Adelaide Football Club has handled this has been great. I’m happy that I will receive the recognition as the original artist and that my story behind the artwork can be told,” she said.

“One thing that I want to stress is that I don’t want people to hassle the student. She’s young, she’s made a mistake and owned it, and I know what social media culture can be like. I ask people to consider her feelings because there’s certainly no ill feeling from me and I just want her to work through this situation with her family.”

Ms Campbell said she wanted all proceeds from the guernseys to be invested into the club’s Aboriginal Programs.

“I understand all the work Port Adelaide invests into Aboriginal youth through their Indigenous programs. I’m more than happy for all the guernsey sales to be invested back into these programs to ensure Indigenous youth continue to get opportunities to grow,” she said.

Port Adelaide chief executive Matthew Richardson thanked Ms Campbell for her understanding.

“Clearly, no one intended for this to play out this way, but we are now pleased that Ms Campbell will get the recognition she deserves and we look forward to telling the story behind her artwork next week,” Mr Richardson said.

“Ms Campbell has been outstanding throughout this whole process and we thank her for her understanding. It’s a mark of her character that one of her first concerns was the welfare of the student.

“We have provided support resources for the student and her family and will continue to support her moving forward. She made a mistake and acknowledged it, so now we ask others to respect her privacy.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Fri May 21, 2021 5:19 pm

Well played Elle Campbell.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri May 21, 2021 5:21 pm

A good, positive and sensible outcome.

Pleasing to see.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby whufc » Fri May 21, 2021 6:59 pm

Just copying others design is a true port Adelaide tradition, first Collingwood now this :D :D

Nah an awkward situation for all that was handled well.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 21, 2021 7:17 pm

Well handled Port, all over inside 24 hours, crew at West Lakes could learn a thing or two
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri May 21, 2021 8:24 pm

Dutchy wrote:Well handled Port, all over inside 24 hours, crew at West Lakes could learn a thing or two

You just said something nice about Port. I'm shocked to be sitting here!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri May 21, 2021 8:37 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Well handled Port, all over inside 24 hours, crew at West Lakes could learn a thing or two

You just said something nice about Port. I'm shocked to be sitting here!

regards,

REB

I had nice things to say about them on 22/9/2019, wasn't long ago ;)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby MW » Fri May 21, 2021 9:23 pm

Always in your thoughts :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri May 21, 2021 9:35 pm

MW wrote:

Always in your thoughts :lol:

Crows live rent free in his head
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Spargo » Fri May 21, 2021 10:27 pm

Yet you ALL keep biting.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5475 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Sun May 23, 2021 7:45 pm

WhEre's tHe RePorT?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun May 23, 2021 7:52 pm

Booney wrote:WhEre's tHe RePorT?
You're still drunk!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Brodlach » Sun May 23, 2021 7:53 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:WhEre's tHe RePorT?
You're still drunk!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

FFS Sack Booney!
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun May 23, 2021 7:59 pm

i wonder if Dave from Alberton will chime in tomorrow to help bring equality to the brekky show??
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun May 23, 2021 9:47 pm

Such a shame we didn't win by a point
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Booney » Mon May 24, 2021 9:15 am

It was a "Bomb shell" and Port were in "Damage Control", what a beat up and you're bang on, get the facts, deal with them, make your statements and if you're wrong own it. As you noted I don't see how anyone could see Port being in the wrong on this one (unless you're not very clever) and it panned out exactly that way, the artist couldn't have been clearer on how she thought it played out.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon May 24, 2021 11:08 am

Never in doubt, knew we had them all along, hardly bothered us. I said none of these yesterday as Port Adelaide came from behind to beat Collingwood by 1 point in a scrappy, slow dour affair. What I did say throughout the day isn’t fit for print in a family friendly time slot so I had to make something up.

I had mixed feelings about yesterday, a few players down, out of form up against a side with not much to play for on the road is the classic recipe for Port Adelaide to drop the 4 points in years gone by. On the flip side I have more trust in this group than I have had in previous squads and as I sat down to watch I was glass half full, well, in all honesty the glass was completely full but I had just opened a can. By the 15 minute mark I was glass half empty both figuratively and literally. The glass looked like it was going to be filled and emptied a few times.

Another slow start and we’re 3 goals down at ¼ time and bar Wines’ banana in the last minute of the term we would have fulfilled my “We don’t even look like scoring” prophecy. Collingwood were prepared to chip sideways from the very last line of defence all the way to their forward 50 if it meant they denied Port the ball. Frustratingly we allowed them to do this over and over and over and over, there’s a pattern here, again and again and again and again. We’ve not been hitting the scoreboard much in the last month as it is and when Grundy kicked his second and we went 4 goals down that bad joojoo I’d thought was gone crept back into the pits of my stomach. Pretty sure we all had the same feeling. 14 minutes into the second and Gray kicks our first and the first of what turned out to be a best on ground winning 3 goals. When he kicked his second a few minutes later we had finally got some momentum and the game was looking more like the one we like to play, up and down the ground and open space to work in.

That was carried through to the third term when a perfect kick from the improving Farrell ( Just like to emphasise I claimed this kid 2 years ago as one to watch ) landed in the hands of Dixon and soon after Marshall found space to mark and convert and we’ve kicked the last 4 of the game to draw within 3 points. Then they got their hands on it and chipped their way out of the back half all the way through our zone to kick back to back goals to McReery and the 30 minutes we spent on top on either side of half time was, seemingly, wasted.

By now the game Collingwood wanted to play was glaringly obvious and we were letting them do it. They had 138 marks for the day, their season average is 95 and many of those 138 were taken in their back half going 20m sideways. We needed to up the pressure on those kicks and early in the last when Dixon dives onto the boot of Roughead for Houston to swoop and goal we saw the first signs of real desperation. It was the spark we needed.

After the Houston goal Gray kicked his third and when a good transition from defence found SPP alone we had a shot on goal to put us in front. While it didn’t register on the board a rushed behind put us in front and less than a minute later Sammy produced the goods and we had a lead that looked to be more than enough when Wines snapped a ripper on the boundary from a Dixon ruck win. Dixon had a big last term, the smother, a sideways kick to set up that transition I mention above and a clear win in the ruck to Wines, all three moments were crucial in getting us 13 points up and I’m filling, I mean, glass half full again. But, wait, what, they want to score now? And they did. McReery gets his third, Poulter pulls another back and it’s a 1 point thriller. Some big efforts from the back half in the last term as McKenzie and Burton get some important touches and a toe poke from Farrell late gave us the territory we needed to hold on in the last 30 seconds.

Mentions to Farrell, another solid game and I really like how he’s building, Ladhams, although soundly beaten kept at it and his 21 touches and more importantly 9 marks ( 4 contested ) and 6 score involvements gave us something around the ground and McKenzie came in a played like he’d not missed a beat.

Boon’s best – Gray, Boak, Farell, Powell-Pepper, Wines, Burton

Now, let’s destroy all evidence of this one and never speak of it again.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon May 24, 2021 11:44 am

Jesus this review came quick ;) :lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 24, 2021 11:45 am

Booney wrote:By now the game Collingwood wanted to play was glaringly obvious and we were letting them do it. They had 138 marks for the day, their season average is 95 and many of those 138 were taken in their back half going 20m sideways.

My question is.. what ever happened to old fashioned "man on man"?

Give them their first cheap 20m kick deep back, but surely at some point you just give up on zoning and find a jumper and force them to kick to a contest?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby Trader » Mon May 24, 2021 11:49 am

Booney wrote:Boon’s best – Gray, Boak, Farell, Powell-Pepper, Wines, Burton

Surprised to see Burton in there.
If it wasn't for Houston running around like a bloke that hadn't played in a month Burton would have been our worst IMO.

Ok, perhaps not the worst, there were plenty of others who were also poor yesterday (DBJ, Bonnor, Mashall, Motlop, Amon, Hartlett), but Burton shouldn't be in the votes IMO.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL