SANFL Junior codes

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: SANFL Junior codes

Postby Trader » Tue May 25, 2021 1:08 pm

The Bedge wrote:Sadly, Ingle Farm are not fortunate to have a lot of "white collar" type people within the club that have backgrounds or experience to lean on for support or guidance in these matters like some clubs do.

The volunteers that make up the committee would've tried acting in the best interests of all providing that update. They would've met as a committee last night, discussed, worked out how to proceed, and one of the first actions would've been to get something out there regarding the incident.

Poorly worded no doubt, intentions were well intended - they wouldn't have deliberately tried to mislead anyone or try and deflect from the situation.. would've just wanted to somewhat diffuse an escalating situation whilst it was being dealt with by the appropriate parties.

Reads similar to the EFC statement, my guess is that the person who posted probably read that and thought it was good and concise and rolled with similar, not actually thinking about it.

Some clubs are fortunate to have an abundance of volunteers
Some clubs are fortunate to have a large network of people from various professions and skill sets within their organisation.

Ingle Farm is not one of those clubs.

Ingle Farm is one of those clubs that has a hard working and passionate group of volunteers who want the best but don't always know the best way to achieve it.

Well said, and good perspective.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby MW » Tue May 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Sadly, Ingle Farm are not fortunate to have a lot of "white collar" type people within the club that have backgrounds or experience to lean on for support or guidance in these matters like some clubs do.

The volunteers that make up the committee would've tried acting in the best interests of all providing that update. They would've met as a committee last night, discussed, worked out how to proceed, and one of the first actions would've been to get something out there regarding the incident.

Poorly worded no doubt, intentions were well intended - they wouldn't have deliberately tried to mislead anyone or try and deflect from the situation.. would've just wanted to somewhat diffuse an escalating situation whilst it was being dealt with by the appropriate parties.

Reads similar to the EFC statement, my guess is that the person who posted probably read that and thought it was good and concise and rolled with similar, not actually thinking about it.

Some clubs are fortunate to have an abundance of volunteers
Some clubs are fortunate to have a large network of people from various professions and skill sets within their organisation.

Ingle Farm is not one of those clubs.

Ingle Farm is one of those clubs that has a hard working and passionate group of volunteers who want the best but don't always know the best way to achieve it.

The important part of Ingle Farm's statement is that they are assisting SANFL and SAPOL. Hopefully it all gets sorted quickly. I'm not sure it warranted being the lead story on the 6.00pm news.

It even made the news updates at the bottom of the screen on Sunrise this morning!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue May 25, 2021 1:20 pm

Too many people too quick to condemn the MDO, a volunteer.

I wonder how many of you have been a MDO in a situation like that? He tried his best to do what he thought was right, give him a break. I don’t think anyone should be recording kids especially teenage girls.

Good luck to both clubs, there are idiots at all clubs.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Down the Hill » Tue May 25, 2021 1:29 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:[*]
Footy Chick wrote:So Edwardstown are saying that none of their people were involved and Ingle Farm have just released the same statement.

It was all a figment of everyone's imagination :roll:

Ingle Farm declined to comment so not sure how that is the same statement. It's on video which can be seen by Adelaide Now subscribers. You don't see the assault because the recording stops when a lady grabs for the blokes phone.
iffc.PNG
efc.PNG

Hows that box going DTH.... :lol: ;)[/quote]

Yeah OK FC. It was 5.26am - damn cat wanted to be let outside - and wasn't aware of an IF statement at that point. Feel a bit sorry for IF with this whole thing because I don't know about the rest of you but the last thing I ever think of doing is going for the phone and start videoing incidents such as this. If the bloke was that concerned about his boundary umpire son he is hardly offering support and protection by videoing things from 40 metres away. He could have quietly walked onto the Edwardstown bike track and suggested to his lad to get away from the disturbance and leave it for the more mature field umpire and club officials to sort out. Of course this still doesn't excuse what happened next.

But this whole situation highlights a bigger issue for SANFL Juniors. I can't help but think that playing a game from 5.15pm to around 6.45pm on a Sunday evening was a contributing factor. Players, officials, umpires and parents have school and work the next day and would already be a bit frazzled with a game being played at that time on a Sunday. Very few clubs have the luxury of a 2nd oval such as Golden Grove and clubs like Brighton are forced, at a cost, to use Brighton PS, the Lacrosse Pitch & Mitchell Park Oval to fit all our home matches. Some of the league grounds are very underutilised so why can't they have some hubs where a whole heap of U7 to maybe U10 matches get played each week to free up the club grounds for better fixture solutions.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue May 25, 2021 2:22 pm

It’s a really good point you raise DTH in regards to the time and day. Most district footy clubs in Adelaide have their grounds used on both Saturday and Sunday now (Women’s Saturday if Men are away) and having well credentialed volunteer bases all day Saturday and Sunday both home and away is incredibly difficult and rare.

It’s going to be very interesting when we get some heavy rains in the next 12 weeks. Some of these grounds that are getting smashed at the moment are going to be an absolute mess given the traffic on them...
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 25, 2021 2:52 pm

Down the Hill wrote:
But this whole situation highlights a bigger issue for SANFL Juniors. I can't help but think that playing a game from 5.15pm to around 6.45pm on a Sunday evening was a contributing factor. Players, officials, umpires and parents have school and work the next day and would already be a bit frazzled with a game being played at that time on a Sunday. Very few clubs have the luxury of a 2nd oval such as Golden Grove and clubs like Brighton are forced, at a cost, to use Brighton PS, the Lacrosse Pitch & Mitchell Park Oval to fit all our home matches. Some of the league grounds are very underutilised so why can't they have some hubs where a whole heap of U7 to maybe U10 matches get played each week to free up the club grounds for better fixture solutions.

I'm not a fan of junior games at night full stop, reserve the time slots for the younger ones that only take an hour, mum, dad and the grandparents can have an after work wine then watch the game, having near two hour older aged groups play tend to bring out the dickheads a bit more.............well that's what noticed in my experiences.

In general, under 12's etc can be kicking off at 9 or 10 Sunday mornings, this allows more oval time for the older groups.

I wonder if there's a trend of disturbances during night games vs day games?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby jo172 » Tue May 25, 2021 3:22 pm

Brodlach wrote:Too many people too quick to condemn the MDO, a volunteer.

I wonder how many of you have been a MDO in a situation like that? He tried his best to do what he thought was right, give him a break. I don’t think anyone should be recording kids especially teenage girls.

Good luck to both clubs, there are idiots at all clubs.

Completely accept that the criticism of the MDO can only be made with hindsight.

In a situation where tempers have clearly been fraying for a number of minutes and you're dealing with distressed/aggrieved teenagers not many people are going to be able to put in a perfect performance.

The shame is that the video showed him doing a fantastic job with the parent on the oval in terms of calmly deescalating a situation.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby no_remorse28 » Tue May 25, 2021 3:33 pm

Serious question - at what point does an official (umpire) become "not an official"? e.g. when the game is over, when they've left the field of play, when they're in their car?

If the game has ended, and the umpire elects to leave the field of play to intervene in an altercation in the stands can they really still be classed as being in an official capacity?
no_remorse28
Reserves

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 71 times
Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby Brodlach » Tue May 25, 2021 3:34 pm

Good question especially when boundary umpires at that level are volunteers from each club.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 25, 2021 3:38 pm

Brodlach wrote:Good question especially when boundary umpires at that level are volunteers from each club.

That's the bit I'm not getting.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 25, 2021 3:42 pm

no_remorse28 wrote:Serious question - at what point does an official (umpire) become "not an official"? e.g. when the game is over, when they've left the field of play, when they're in their car?

If the game has ended, and the umpire elects to leave the field of play to intervene in an altercation in the stands can they really still be classed as being in an official capacity?

I wonder that myself, being an umpire the question often goes through my head how I would react to a spectator assaulting me, I've had a couple approach me post game to intimidate me because I've paid a free kick against their team and let them know that I picked that free out for them, we do see the random report of umpire assaults, I'd imagine 99% of the time the umpire couldn't give a toss who won and is just out there to do their job, I know I just try to get through a game un-noticed.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue May 25, 2021 3:54 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Good question especially when boundary umpires at that level are volunteers from each club.

To me a volunteer boundary umpire is a club official too even if it’s only for that game
Last edited by Brodlach on Tue May 25, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Dols » Tue May 25, 2021 4:00 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

U17.5 girls have paid field and boundary umpires allocated by the SANFL at most games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Brodlach » Tue May 25, 2021 4:06 pm

Dols wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

U17.5 girls have paid field and boundary umpires allocated by the SANFL at most games.

Oh really, I am surprised they have paid boundary umpires
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 25, 2021 4:13 pm

Dols wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Money for jam.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby laser » Tue May 25, 2021 4:58 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Yeah OK FC. It was 5.26am - damn cat wanted to be let outside - and wasn't aware of an IF statement at that point. Feel a bit sorry for IF with this whole thing because I don't know about the rest of you but the last thing I ever think of doing is going for the phone and start videoing incidents such as this. If the bloke was that concerned about his boundary umpire son he is hardly offering support and protection by videoing things from 40 metres away. He could have quietly walked onto the Edwardstown bike track and suggested to his lad to get away from the disturbance and leave it for the more mature field umpire and club officials to sort out. Of course this still doesn't excuse what happened next.

I understand from the quote mentioned on the radio this morning that his motivation for filming was to support the player report process, not necessarily to "protect his son". From that I assume he wasn't concerned that he or his son would end up copping it. But they did. Blaming game times, MDOs etc. won't solve this. Just don't abuse and assault people.
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 25, 2021 5:30 pm

laser wrote:I understand from the quote mentioned on the radio this morning that his motivation for filming was to support the player report process, not necessarily to "protect his son".

I call bullshit. Maybe initially that might've been his intention, but given the "brawl / melee" had stopped and the sides dispersed, then really there was no need for him to be filming an additional 30 seconds of girls standing around on a ground.

What the hell does it achieve?

If you don't have "all the evidence to support" you need during the actual on-field altercation, then filming a bunch of girls after the fact isn't gonna do any good.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby MW » Tue May 25, 2021 5:35 pm

Brodlach wrote:
Dols wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Oh really, I am surprised they have paid boundary umpires

Only div 1 have official boundary I think.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Yank Man » Tue May 25, 2021 6:28 pm

My question is.... how did the media get this filming in the first place, Adelaide Now went with story, and the filming first and the rest of the media vultures followed suit. Who gave the filming to Adelaide now??? It was taken on a phone so how did they get it. Terrible story for girls footy, but footy in general.
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby gadj1976 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:14 pm

MW wrote:Only div 1 have official boundary I think.

15 Div 1 girls do not. I believe 17.5 girls do as do 17.5 div 1 and 2 boys.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League