R8 Port v West Saturday 1435

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R8 Port v West Saturday 1435

Postby StrayDog » Fri May 28, 2021 12:04 pm

Booney wrote:
Alex wrote:
Plymptonpanther wrote:Alex, we should probably move this discussion to another thread but I don't know how to that. No doubt average attendances at Alberton are still far better than Noarlunga, but the gap is narrowing. The fact that your own supporters didn't know you were playing at home this week is evidence of the diminished place the Mapgies hold in their thinking. Of the 'Big 4', Glenelg and Sturt are now consistently the crowd-drawers. I make this observation by feel, not solid stats. What are your thoughts?

I agree with you, that's why it was a genuine question. South have always been the strugglers so wondering if things had fallen to that level yet. It would not have surprised me. Nothing against South, definitely (probably like most people) the team I support 2nd. The Power-Magpies merger damaged the Magpies brand in order to help the Power. It is what it is, I have learned to live with it and still go. Clearly the droves of fans who no longer attend Magpies games have not accepted it and are the majority..

With all due respect, what a load of shit.

Yeah, "support" is probably too broad a term, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of smiles from supporters of other clubs when South finally do win another flag. :)
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Alex » Fri May 28, 2021 12:05 pm

Booney wrote:
Alex wrote:
Plymptonpanther wrote:Alex, we should probably move this discussion to another thread but I don't know how to that. No doubt average attendances at Alberton are still far better than Noarlunga, but the gap is narrowing. The fact that your own supporters didn't know you were playing at home this week is evidence of the diminished place the Mapgies hold in their thinking. Of the 'Big 4', Glenelg and Sturt are now consistently the crowd-drawers. I make this observation by feel, not solid stats. What are your thoughts?

I agree with you, that's why it was a genuine question. South have always been the strugglers so wondering if things had fallen to that level yet. It would not have surprised me. Nothing against South, definitely (probably like most people) the team I support 2nd. The Power-Magpies merger damaged the Magpies brand in order to help the Power. It is what it is, I have learned to live with it and still go. Clearly the droves of fans who no longer attend Magpies games have not accepted it and are the majority..

What part is untrue? You telling me that the merger enhanced support of the Magpies are you? You don't think the Power has been helped by now being able to legitimately embrace the one club thing with the NTUA and pushing the heritage angle?
Alex

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Booney » Fri May 28, 2021 12:27 pm

StrayDog wrote:
Booney wrote:
Alex wrote:

Yeah, "support" is probably too broad a term, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of smiles from supporters of other clubs when South finally do win another flag. :)

Beyond Port Adelaide I can't wait for South Adelaide to win one, their supporters deserve it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri May 28, 2021 12:50 pm

Powerserves by 44pts.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1207 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby saintal » Fri May 28, 2021 1:17 pm

Alex wrote:
Plymptonpanther wrote:and given the way Port attendances have fallen off a cliff, you'll likely get a park in Queen St at 2pm.

Is the Alberton average still better than Noarlunga? Serious question.

Very small sample size and not comparing apples with apples, but crowds so far this season:

Noarlunga – 7991 at average of 1998 (v Ravens, Power, Sturt, Bays)
Alberton – 5380 at average of 1793 (v Centrals, WWT, North)

Crowds across the league appear on the disappointing side so far in 2021, but not completely unexpected.

Looking back to 2019, Noarlunga averaged 1605, Alberton 2338.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Alex » Fri May 28, 2021 2:50 pm

saintal wrote:
Alex wrote:
Plymptonpanther wrote:and given the way Port attendances have fallen off a cliff, you'll likely get a park in Queen St at 2pm.

Is the Alberton average still better than Noarlunga? Serious question.

Very small sample size and not comparing apples with apples, but crowds so far this season:

Noarlunga – 7991 at average of 1998 (v Ravens, Power, Sturt, Bays)
Alberton – 5380 at average of 1793 (v Centrals, WWT, North)

Crowds across the league appear on the disappointing side so far in 2021, but not completely unexpected.

Looking back to 2019, Noarlunga averaged 1605, Alberton 2338.

Thanks - would on face value anyway seem to indicate that interest in the Magpies has been on the decline in the post merger era.
Alex

Postby Wedgie » Fri May 28, 2021 3:08 pm

I went to Alberton on Saturday for the first time in several years, spent about 7 hours there and noticed that the usual diehards weren't there as well as there being a lot less Port fans generally. There was no passion on their part despite a superb win, it was very similar to a couple of VFL games I've been to in the past where the game is just an attraction to gather at and not passionately support. I was in the heart of the old Magpie area too spending time in the club rooms (including pressos) and in front of the grand stands.

It really is a completely different atmosphere for the Power Reserves compared to what it was like prior to the original PAFC being killed off.

Having said that, it was a pleasant day, Power Reserves fans were quiet and nice as pie. And the Prison Bar Ale was to die for!!! 8)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Fri May 28, 2021 4:45 pm

Well there's a bombshell. The Port Adelaide Football Club's supporters are more invested in their senior side in the AFL than the two's in the SANFL.

Excellent research!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby RB » Fri May 28, 2021 5:48 pm

Alex wrote:
Booney wrote:
Alex wrote:

What part is untrue?

I'm still waiting for Booney to answer this.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Alex » Fri May 28, 2021 6:16 pm

Booney wrote:Well there's a bombshell. The Port Adelaide Football Club's supporters are more invested in their senior side in the AFL than the two's in the SANFL.

Excellent research!

Obviously it is news to you. You stated that it was a "load of shit" that the merger had damaged the interest level of fans in attending Magpies games. Now you seem to be stating that this is the obvious effect. Make up your mind?
Alex

Postby StrayDog » Sat May 29, 2021 7:17 pm

Booney wrote:
StrayDog wrote:
Booney wrote:
Alex wrote:I agree with you [Plymptonpanther], that's why it was a genuine question. South have always been the strugglers so wondering if things had fallen to that level yet. It would not have surprised me. Nothing against South, definitely (probably like most people) the team I support 2nd. The Power-Magpies merger damaged the Magpies brand in order to help the Power. It is what it is, I have learned to live with it and still go. Clearly the droves of fans who no longer attend Magpies games have not accepted it and are the majority..

Beyond Port Adelaide I can't wait for South Adelaide to win one, their supporters deserve it.

Agreed...and well played. :)
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 31, 2021 9:20 am

RB wrote:
Alex wrote:I agree with you, that's why it was a genuine question. South have always been the strugglers so wondering if things had fallen to that level yet. It would not have surprised me. Nothing against South, definitely (probably like most people) the team I support 2nd. The Power-Magpies merger damaged the Magpies brand in order to help the Power. It is what it is, I have learned to live with it and still go. Clearly the droves of fans who no longer attend Magpies games have not accepted it and are the majority..

This. The Power and the Magpies are both the Port Adelaide Football Club.

There's nothing like it in Australian football, no other suburban club has been elevated to the national competition, no other club had two teams playing under the one club as Port Adelaide did.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon May 31, 2021 11:09 am

Onto the game, can see the influence Gotch has had on Westies, far better structure behind the ball and if not for lacking a key target or two forward of the ball they'd be a better side.

Midfield works hard both ways and the ruckman ( Taverner? ) is a big lump, pity they can't use him in the key post forward, certainly need to recruit some bigger blokes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mots02 » Mon May 31, 2021 11:15 am

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:
Alex wrote:I agree with you, that's why it was a genuine question. South have always been the strugglers so wondering if things had fallen to that level yet. It would not have surprised me. Nothing against South, definitely (probably like most people) the team I support 2nd. The Power-Magpies merger damaged the Magpies brand in order to help the Power. It is what it is, I have learned to live with it and still go. Clearly the droves of fans who no longer attend Magpies games have not accepted it and are the majority..

There's nothing like it in Australian football, no other suburban club has been elevated to the national competition, no other club had two teams playing under the one club as Port Adelaide did.

Except for all of the former VFL clubs in the AFL, who are incidentally, now all VFL clubs again too.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 852 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Alex » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:50 pm

Booney wrote:
RB wrote:

But they were not both the PAFC prior to the merger. The PAMFC was separate. The Magpies attendance levels have declined since the merger, hence being damaged by the merger in my opinion.
Alex

Postby gazzamagoo » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:45 pm

Westies to win this, for old mate Bernie Scanlan.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:06 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:Westies to win this, for old mate Bernie Scanlan.

Smart monies on the Power reserves mate ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL