The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby MJP1993 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:43 am

Brendan M wrote:A Port reflection.

My father, who grew up a good (Bob Shearman comes to mind) drop kick from Thebarton oval, occasionally joked (we think) that his life would have been happier if he had grown up as a Port supporter.

When I, as a Woodville boy, read the sometime heated contributions in this stub, I reflect on the history and psychology of the PAFC. Port's stance of 'us v the world' served them well in the SANFL as it galvanised their players and supporters, yet in reality, Port sides were also well-coached and they had the players who knew what was necessary to win the big games, especially in the finals.

In the current world of AFL, this disposition ('the world is against us') seems to have morphed into delusion (the Port Bs are the 'Magpies'), infantilism (the fetish of the prison bars) and despotism (attacking, at whim, imagined enemies, including, treacherously, the SANFL and its clubs).

As someone who, when very young, had a reasonable amount of direct contact with the Williams, McLeans, Motleys, Boyds and Gallifords (the last one is for the old cockledivers), this new attitude is foreign to the Port I knew. It seems to me that the new Port (or is it the current egotistical leadership) has a new shade which could see it evolving into yet another clever corporation which is attempting to dazzle its shareholders by fabricating new foes while living on the fumes of the past.


As a west Torrens boy who grew up in the 1970s I learned early from Port fans how feral they were .
Marrying into a port family wasn’t easy out of us three guys who married the three daughters in this family ones father was a head trainer at port . One was a sturt and hawthorn fan and me being a Torrens fan . The family tried to convert me to follow port nope and my kids cousins couldn’t understand how they didn’t and don’t follow port seeing we lived in the port heartland. Believe me not everyone that lives there were port fans more weren’t .
Now reading your post I’ve met both Geoff Motley and his son Peter Motley before his accident great people .

But the way Port bosses carry on like they’ve been kicked in the balls because they don’t get everything their own way must be embarrassing especially when one threatened to sack the coach on national tv then changed his mind
For myself Port are a tiny fish in the big AFL pond trying to live on their glory days in the SANFL
MJP1993
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:04 am
Has liked: 287 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Hazydog » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:52 pm

Here’s another example of how the AFL Reserves bring down the reputation of the SANFL as being a serious football competition and reduce it to Mickey Mouse status…. (From an article direct from PAFC) …

“ and Mayes was an unlikely hero last week, coming off at half time of the SANFL to be the medical substitute against Sydney ”
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
User avatar
Hazydog
Reserves
 
 
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Paralowie
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 125 times

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dogs64 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:53 pm

So, since the advent of the 2 reserve teams the afl clubs have made one gf between them and won none. I wouldn't think it was worth destroying the SANFL for.
Dogs64
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:11 am
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Mic » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:07 am

Dogs64 wrote:So, since the advent of the 2 reserve teams the afl clubs have made one gf between them and won none. I wouldn't think it was worth destroying the SANFL for.

And after 8 years of being in the AFL (without reserves sides) the 2 clubs had won 3 premierships between them.
User avatar
Mic
League - Top 5
 
 
Posts: 2974
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:17 pm
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 114 times

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Kahuna » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:19 pm

West Coast to pull out* of the WAFL next year.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/west- ... ral_thread

Sorry, link is subscriber only,
Kahuna
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2419
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:15 pm
Has liked: 391 times
Been liked: 158 times

The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:29 pm

Kahuna wrote:West Coast to pull out* of the WAFL next year.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/west- ... ral_thread

Sorry, link is subscriber only,
Sounds like they are going back to players being shared amongst the comp
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 45100
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1116 times
Been liked: 3116 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:42 pm

NO AFL IN WAFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
Armchair expert
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6412
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 789 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Al4 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:16 pm

Even though my side is not in the finals, I have enjoyed following this series. No afl reserves sides has brought back my interest - a level playing field again.
Al4
Member
 
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:28 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Kahuna » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:33 pm

Kahuna
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2419
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:15 pm
Has liked: 391 times
Been liked: 158 times

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Alex » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:31 pm

Wish they could go back to the old system of the Port Power and Crows players being spread amongst the teams. The AFL clubs were actually a lot more successful under this method. 3 flags vs 0 since.
User avatar
Alex
Member
 
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:33 am
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Dogs64 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:44 pm

Alex wrote:Wish they could go back to the old system of the Port Power and Crows players being spread amongst the teams. The AFL clubs were actually a lot more successful under this method. 3 flags vs 0 since.


I haven't checked the accuracy but councidentally saw this posted today

" th decade of the 90’s 4 from 10 premierships were won from non Victorian sides.
First decade of 2000’s we had 6 winners from 10.
The second decade has resulted in only two. 1 from last 9 or 2-15.
The decline has come since the Victorian based teams commissioned a review into the game and why they weren't winning enough!

Seems coincidental"

What they failed to realise was a key finding of that enquiry was the advantage non-Victorian sides had with the second tier competitions. Then Sanderson comes from Collingwood after one of their few modern premierships, spruiking the advantage of reserves. Good timing for the Power that wanted the Magpies gone. Destroy a comp for nothing and lose an advantage they had.
Dogs64
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:11 am
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Aerie » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:45 pm

West Coast would be the richest club in the AFL. Will they be joining the VFL?
User avatar
Aerie
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5294
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:05 am
Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 386 times

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Alex » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:12 pm

Dogs64 wrote:
Alex wrote:Wish they could go back to the old system of the Port Power and Crows players being spread amongst the teams. The AFL clubs were actually a lot more successful under this method. 3 flags vs 0 since.


I haven't checked the accuracy but councidentally saw this posted today

" th decade of the 90’s 4 from 10 premierships were won from non Victorian sides.
First decade of 2000’s we had 6 winners from 10.
The second decade has resulted in only two. 1 from last 9 or 2-15.
The decline has come since the Victorian based teams commissioned a review into the game and why they weren't winning enough!

Seems coincidental"

What they failed to realise was a key finding of that enquiry was the advantage non-Victorian sides had with the second tier competitions. Then Sanderson comes from Collingwood after one of their few modern premierships, spruiking the advantage of reserves. Good timing for the Power that wanted the Magpies gone. Destroy a comp for nothing and lose an advantage they had.


Sanderson damaged the SANFL for his own selfish interests and in the end has helped nobody- Not the SANFL, AFL or his own hide in the end is how it seems.
User avatar
Alex
Member
 
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:33 am
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 16 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kahuna, MJP1993 and 7 guests