SANFL 2021 SEASON

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL 2021 SEASON

Postby am Bays » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:42 am

With 8 games to go after this weekend, if Port beat Sturt will the final five be set?

Port and Norwood will be two ahead of North.

Makes the following week at Prospect an absolute must win for North against Port
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:29 am

am Bays wrote:With 8 games to go after this weekend, if Port beat Sturt will the final five be set?

Makes the following week at Prospect an absolute must win for North against Port
The top 4 will be set and it’s down to Norwood and North for the last spot. Might come down to North v Norwood at Prospect in the final round
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Aerie » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:25 pm

am Bays wrote:With 8 games to go after this weekend, if Port beat Sturt will the final five be set?

North's good percentage holds them in good stead. But, they would want to beat Port in their next game. They then play the four teams below them from Rounds 13-16 so should be around the mark to make finals in the final rounds if they are good enough. Fingers crossed they replace Port!
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby StrayDog » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:36 pm

Jim05 wrote:

The top 4 will be set and it’s down to Norwood and North for the last spot. Might come down to North v Norwood at Prospect in the final round

Your blokes are my tip for a Qualifying Final spot at the moment, though I suspect that it will be very close.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:47 pm

Have the SANFL missed an opportunity this weekend only having the two games, considering there is no AFL match at home?
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Jackal1 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:32 pm

YES
Jackal1
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:32 am

Eagles2014 wrote:Have the SANFL missed an opportunity this weekend only having the two games, considering there is no AFL match at home?

Off course they have but they don't care because there existence is purely to be puppet masters to the AFL in an attempt to enhance their potential careers.

Why wouldn't you try and create a celebration of SANFL football. Spend the week pumping up the history of the game, maybe make the round $2 day or something similar. Maybe even consider having all four games at Adelaide Oval like a 12 hour extravaganza of local footy. If it was at AO maybe do a car parade of all the living Magarey medalists, maybe have all the teams in their most famous colours, dogs in the white guernsey, north in the candy stripes, Glenelg with the yellow short, port in the pink.

Do anything but only have 2 games on that weekend.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Spargo » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:40 am

whufc wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:Have the SANFL missed an opportunity this weekend only having the two games, considering there is no AFL match at home?

Off course they have but they don't care because there existence is purely to be puppet masters to the AFL in an attempt to enhance their potential careers.

Why wouldn't you try and create a celebration of SANFL football. Spend the week pumping up the history of the game, maybe make the round $2 day or something similar. Maybe even consider having all four games at Adelaide Oval like a 12 hour extravaganza of local footy. If it was at AO maybe do a car parade of all the living Magarey medalists, maybe have all the teams in their most famous colours, dogs in the white guernsey, north in the candy stripes, Glenelg with the yellow short, port in the pink.

But they’ll happily put 4 games on Good Friday & none on Easter Saturday & then schedule 2 games on Mother’s Day when they should’ve all been played the day before. Farcical.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby gazzamagoo » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:55 am

Or play the whole round in country venues.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:58 am

gazzamagoo wrote:Or play the whole round in country venues.

Would have been best to do that last week when most country comps had stopped for their association round unless you played games on a Sunday.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby DOC » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:31 pm

Spargo wrote:
whufc wrote:

But they’ll happily put 4 games on Good Friday & none on Easter Saturday & then schedule 2 games on Mother’s Day when they should’ve all been played the day before. Farcical.

Yep. Darren Chandler is quite a dickhead.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby whybother » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:41 pm

I see from the Eagles website that "Aussie" the long-time raffle ticket seller and AFL Record seller has recently passed away. Another character gone from the game, and sadly a very loud voice silenced.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby MJP1993 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:02 pm

whybother wrote:I see from the Eagles website that "Aussie" the long-time raffle ticket seller and AFL Record seller has recently passed away. Another character gone from the game, and sadly a very loud voice silenced.

His funeral is this upcoming week but I can’t recall the day
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby Plymptonpanther » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:55 pm

whybother wrote:I see from the Eagles website that "Aussie" the long-time raffle ticket seller and AFL Record seller has recently passed away. Another character gone from the game, and sadly a very loud voice silenced.

Yeah right..."In the Eagles raffle here", that the bloke? Yep, a sound at SANFL games I've heard forever. Used to get dragged along to games at Thebby as a kid, was a fixture there iirc.
Plymptonpanther
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby robranisgod » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:29 pm

Peter "Aussie" Ashwin's funeral is at Fulham Funerals, 139 Holbrooks Road, Underdale at 11:30 a.m. on Monday, 21st June.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Aerie » Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:46 pm

Plymptonpanther wrote:

Yeah right..."In the Eagles raffle here", that the bloke? Yep, a sound at SANFL games I've heard forever. Used to get dragged along to games at Thebby as a kid, was a fixture there iirc.

Yep, I was born early 80’s and can remember that booming voice from the Thebby days, right through to many many years at Woodville Oval. “Get yer Eagles raffle ere” will forever echo across the ground at an Eagles home game before the first bounce. RIP Aussie.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Dutchy » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:05 am

Sad, was always a feature of the Eagles games and at the cricket during summer, reckon it was only 19/20 summer that he was still working outside AO.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby robranisgod » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:00 am

Dutchy wrote:Sad, was always a feature of the Eagles games and at the cricket during summer, reckon it was only 19/20 summer that he was still working outside AO.

You may well be right. He was certainly selling footy budgets and records during the 2019 season.
He wasn't well enough to go to Adelaide Oval for last year's Grand Final, but he did watch it at the Eagles club with his wife, who also is a passionate Eagles supporter. As much as I, of course, wanted the Roosters to win I was very pleased that Aussie was able to see the Eagles take the flag. He was suffering both with his own health and with other personal traumas at the time.
On a personal note, I have known him since 1978, and he has always been a "character" with a clever wit and a good work ethic. He not only worked long and hard for West Torrens and then the merged entity but he was also a hard worker for charities all of his life. I met him when he was 21 whilst he was doing charity work and we have remained friends ever since.
I was saddened that he passed away last Saturday morning prior to the Eagles thrashing Port. He would have enjoyed that result more than almost anything in life
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby MJP1993 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:45 am

robranisgod wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Sad, was always a feature of the Eagles games and at the cricket during summer, reckon it was only 19/20 summer that he was still working outside AO.

You may well be right. He was certainly selling footy budgets and records during the 2019 season.
He wasn't well enough to go to Adelaide Oval for last year's Grand Final, but he did watch it at the Eagles club with his wife, who also is a passionate Eagles supporter. As much as I, of course, wanted the Roosters to win I was very pleased that Aussie was able to see the Eagles take the flag. He was suffering both with his own health and with other personal traumas at the time.
On a personal note, I have known him since 1978, and he has always been a "character" with a clever wit and a good work ethic. He not only worked long and hard for West Torrens and then the merged entity but he was also a hard worker for charities all of his life. I met him when he was 21 whilst he was doing charity work and we have remained friends ever since.
I was saddened that he passed away last Saturday morning prior to the Eagles thrashing Port. He would have enjoyed that result more than almost anything in life

When it was posted on Facebook pages he had passed every eagles fan said the eagles thrashed Port for Aussie
I know I’m an old fart of an eagles fan I knew Aussie at the footy for many years a very sad passing of a sanfl legend
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby blueandwhite » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:57 pm

Any clues when the SANFL are going to confirm times ,dates, venues for the remaining minor round games??

I guess we will have to wait with baited breath as to what happens with the AFL...again! :evil:
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL