R12 Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 1335

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R12 Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 1335

Postby Pseudo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:03 pm

Wedgie wrote:I can't remember the last time a team dominated this much. Would be the biggest choke of all time if Glenelg didn't win the flag from here.

Biggest choke since North in 1985, who were also 11-0 at one point...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Armchair expert » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:06 pm

Can't choke I've already got my 2021 premiership shirt on order
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Spargo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:10 pm

Gazz wrote:Perspective is a wonderful thing, the Eagles may have shaded the bays free kick wise but jeez glenelg got the benefit in better positions.

Perspective? 5 of your 8 goals were from frees.
Jog on.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5476 times
Been liked: 5118 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Aerie » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:14 pm

Glenelg too good in the end. Improvement around the ball by the Eagles compared to the game at the Bay earlier in the season, but Glenelg again run away with it.

Thought Firns was very good on Curran. The Eagles defence, particularly Giuffreda, Jungfer and Rowland were very good. Tsitas also very good.

Poor discipline by Riley Knight to give away a couple of crucial 25m penalties. The Eagles must cut that out of their game - a good side is better than that.

Would like to see Stengle used on the ball as Rowe was last year. Especially in conditions like that and when he was being shaded by his opponent.

Macfarlane and Mutch not quite up to SANFL level?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Pseudo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:21 pm

Aerie wrote:Glenelg too good in the end. Improvement around the ball by the Eagles compared to the game at the Bay earlier in the season, but Glenelg again run away with it.

Thought Firns was very good on Curran. The Eagles defence, particularly Giuffreda, Jungfer and Rowland were very good. Tsitas also very good.

Poor discipline by Riley Knight to give away a couple of crucial 25m penalties. The Eagles must cut that out of their game - a good side is better than that.

Would like to see Stengle used on the ball as Rowe was last year. Especially in conditions like that and when he was being shaded by his opponent.

Bays also gave away some penalties through poor discipline, one resulting in an Eagles goal.

Eagles clearly the stiffest opponent the Bays have experienced this year. The game was won in the final term; the Bays stepped up while the Wagles looked spent. I wonder if the Eagles had also had last weekend off, if they might have gone the distance?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Gazz » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:28 pm

Well done Spargs obviously an analyst, toddle off
Gazz
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:35 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Wedgie wrote:I can't remember the last time a team dominated this much. Would be the biggest choke of all time if Glenelg didn't win the flag from here.

Not even close, North lost 7 games that year including 3 to Glenelg and one to Westies by 100 points.
Glenelg were odds on favs for the Grand Final that year, just like they will be this year but probably even shorter again when they will be undefeated.
Definately would be the worst choke of all time if the Bays lost this year, nothing else in my memory would be close, can't see it happening though.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby topshelf » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:57 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Not even close, North lost 7 games that year including 3 to Glenelg and one to Westies by 100 points.
Glenelg were odds on favs for the Grand Final that year, just like they will be this year but probably even shorter again when they will be undefeated.
Definately would be the worst choke of all time if the Bays lost this year, nothing else in my memory would be close, can't see it happening though.

Enjoying this type of stuff, wasn't long ago we were easy beats. Great position to be in.
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:18 pm

topshelf wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Enjoying this type of stuff, wasn't long ago we were easy beats. Great position to be in.

At least you don't have the original Port Adelaide (RIP) to worry about in the finals like the old days!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby am Bays » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:34 pm

Game of 2 halves qtrs one and four the Bays the other two the Eags (granted time on in the 1st and 3rd) you could see momentum starting to shift.

I thought The Eags were very good at getting first to the footy and pressuring us into mistakes. Their quick hands in the 2nd and 3rd to create clearances and clear congestion were exemplary.

I like the way we lifted in the last to create opportunities was very pleasing

The umpiring, best described as lazy. Especially the one with biggest skinfolds. No intensity at boundary throw ins to get inside the corridor. Lack of understand of HTB if the ball is disposed of legally, if the ball gets touched by both players it can’t be a mark and ruck infringements was a raffle that Redden had all the winning tickets.

Riley Knight? Will be playing country footy by 2023… he’s built line Tarzan (in his mind) but he plays line Jane
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:31 pm

Aerie wrote:Glenelg too good in the end. Improvement around the ball by the Eagles compared to the game at the Bay earlier in the season, but Glenelg again run away with it.

I think Thompson also was very good for us in defence.

Glenelg too good today. Not sure whether we play each other again before the finals but I do think that the teams are quite evenly matched and that the next game will be a 50-50.

I don't agree with your assessment about Macfarlane Aerie. He had a quiet one for us today but has generally been pretty good for us. However I do agree with your assessment about Much. Not really seeing anything about him that got him onto an AFL list and can't quite work out what his role is in our team.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby stampy » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:01 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:

I think Thompson also was very good for us in defence.

Glenelg too good today. Not sure whether we play each other again before the finals but I do think that the teams are quite evenly matched and that the next game will be a 50-50.

I don't agree with your assessment about Macfarlane Aerie. He had a quiet one for us today but has generally been pretty good for us. However I do agree with your assessment about Much. Not really seeing anything about him that got him onto an AFL list and can't quite work out what his role is in our team.

played us twice
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 333 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby mots02 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:19 pm

Who's Number 1 for the Eagles?
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby DOC » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:37 pm

mots02 wrote:Who's Number 1 for the Eagles?

Lonergan. Big Boy.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2084 times

Postby mots02 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:40 pm

DOC wrote:
mots02 wrote:Who's Number 1 for the Eagles?

Lonergan. Big Boy.

Ah yep…. Maybe the long sleeve didn’t do him any favours but he caught my eye with how much of the screen he filled!
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 877 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby wedgetail » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:58 pm

Thought glenelg wanted it more in the last quarter which should not have been the case. Also, read ball off the packs better and seemed to play in front more which suited the conditions. Poor forward entry by the Eagles in the last quarter saw the ball intercepted too easily. Seymour not up to it unfortunately and we missed Goldy kicking in from points. Will need to be at our best to beat bays but season far from over. Tsitas excellent as was Thommo and Goofy.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Spargo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:16 pm

Not sure the centre clearance no’s but we seemed to be well beaten for the first 3 qtrs. Got first use in the final qtr & that went a long way to the win.
Landt played his best game since arriving this year, Snook, Partington & Proud very good.
McBean showed again why he’s our most important player. He shows tremendous control considering the “treatment” he receives weekly with very little protection from the umpires.
Excellent win against tough opposition in trying conditions.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5476 times
Been liked: 5118 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby am Bays » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:01 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:Glenelg too good today. Not sure whether we play each other again before the finals but I do think that the teams are quite evenly matched and that the next game will be a 50-50.

Pretty fair assessment, definitely will be even money bet when in all likelihood we’ll meet on Sun 5/9.

Mind you I look forward to playing you with Hosie, Stretch and Virgin back in the side, acknowledging you’ll have a few to come back too.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Aerie » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:40 pm

am Bays wrote:
Mr Fuller wrote:Glenelg too good today. Not sure whether we play each other again before the finals but I do think that the teams are quite evenly matched and that the next game will be a 50-50.

Pretty fair assessment, definitely will be even money bet when in all likelihood we’ll meet on Sun 5/9.

Mind you I look forward to playing you with Hosie, Stretch and Virgin back in the side, acknowledging you’ll have a few to come back too.

Goldsworthy our most important out at the moment and Cameron and Troy Menzel the others that would be best 22 that were missing today.

Not sure much will be taken into September from today, except the luxury Glenelg will have to prepare for September, whilst the rest of the clubs scrap for a top 3 and finals positions. Glenelg seem a pretty complete outfit for all conditions.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:54 pm

am Bays wrote:

Heard from close family member of his that Hosie is out for rest of season. They played him when he was injured after the State game, not knowing full extent of the injury, and then he did it worse. Looks like will need operation so must have been a very bad hammy!

He will be shattered if he misses another Premiership after missing the last one after being picked in mid season draft :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 526 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL