Adelaide

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide 2021

Postby Wedgie » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:24 pm

Brodlach wrote:“Had to”?

Yes, had to, to try and help heal the process and put it to bed.
A lot of people wouldn't understand. It's very hard to explain to a non indigenous person.
Don't get me wrong, North Adelaide didn't force him to do anything in case that's what you were thinking, I certainly didn't mean for it to come across that way. North have been fantastic in their support of Robbie.
It's exhausting, I myself have given up the fight to a degree, it just wears you down after a while having to deal with certain sorts of people.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby tigerpie » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:48 pm

Wedgie wrote:
locky801 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Robbie Young not playing footy this week due to personal reasons.

Strange seeing he played last week and knew all about it, hopefully he is ok

He struggled big time last week. And then had to front up for Walker's propoganda video this week.
Not easy.

Dragged kicking and screaming was he?
If you think a heartfelt apology is a propaganda exercise that's on you.
Come on wedgie don't lower yourself to the "he should be publicly horsewhipped" crowd. You're bigger than that.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:56 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
locky801 wrote:

He struggled big time last week. And then had to front up for Walker's propoganda video this week.
Not easy.

Come on wedgie don't lower yourself to the "he should be publicly horsewhipped" crowd. You're bigger than that.

If that's what you got out of my post then I feel sorry for you. Like Eddie Betts I'm exhausted by the battle too and I'm out. You can't fix racism and ignorance, we shouldn't have bothered or tried. Good luck to you.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:58 pm

Brodlach wrote:Another case of damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Keep older players on the list and the club is looking forward, not offer contracts and the club is not doing enough for the champions

It just seems to me that they are cutting back a bit too much, really important to have leadership while you grow your kids, look how Brisbane have done it. To their credit at least they are giving these guys plenty of notice so they can go out into the market for a new club.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Brodlach » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:36 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Brodlach wrote:“Had to”?

Yes, had to, to try and help heal the process and put it to bed.
A lot of people wouldn't understand. It's very hard to explain to a non indigenous person.
Don't get me wrong, North Adelaide didn't force him to do anything in case that's what you were thinking, I certainly didn't mean for it to come across that way. North have been fantastic in their support of Robbie.
It's exhausting, I myself have given up the fight to a degree, it just wears you down after a while having to deal with certain sorts of people.

I did take it as he was told to do it which is why I asked. I’d hate for him to be forced to do it.

Hope he is going ok and glad that North are supporting him well.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Brodlach » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:40 pm

tigerpie wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
locky801 wrote:

Not easy.

Think you’ve gone down the wrong tangent tigerpie
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby tigerpie » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:54 pm

Wedgie I'm pissed off that there are still racist people in this country, like most decent people.
Your post was inflammatory and that's exactly what we don't need.
That's just my opinion, others might not think so.
To think that Betts and Pickett were racially abused on the weekend just boils my blood.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby The_Rampaging_Bull » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:24 pm

In my opinion, to change culture of racism, first you must change the mindset of a racist society.
i'm afraid that words don't change the culture but actions do.
yes, we need to speak up when there is racism, but we also need to change peoples thoughts that when they are speaking to someone, that don't react with words purely on the physical aspect of the other person. We as a society should never think of colour, disability, or appearance as the first thing we use as vocabulary.
What should the actions be, I'm not sure at this stage, however, if we don't take action every time there's a racist comment than all we are doing is talking, and talking doesn't stop the problem in the end.
I'm not of an indigenous background, however i have friends who are, and every time i hear racism towards them and or about them, it really pisses me off. And in my eyes is totally unacceptable what so ever!
My wife and i have already sat down with our kids to discuss what racism is and how it affects others and how its a non negotiable in our family to not be a racist towards any culture or race but to embrace anyone and every one based on the person alone, regardless of their background.
I feel the AFL and the Crows should have taken a stance when they had the chance and terminated Tex contract. Whether the fans totally agree or not, this would have set a precedent moving forward, stating, it doesn't matter who you are we don't tolerate racism full stop.
The_Rampaging_Bull
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby MW » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:28 pm

Are there any players from the Collingwood squad left over who systematically called Lumumba 'chimp'? They got off lightly didnt they.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby The_Rampaging_Bull » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:39 pm

The problem with words is that it sends a message that its OK to say these comments, when its clearly not.
i know that this argument might be a stupid comparison due to the variables, however, the AFL and ASADA were quick to suspend Willie Roili for 2 years for smoking weed, but the AFL gives Tex 6 weeks suspension for racism?
Tell me which offence has a greater impact on society?
The_Rampaging_Bull
Mini-League

Postby MW » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:43 pm

The_Rampaging_Bull wrote:The problem with words is that it sends a message that its OK to say these comments, when its clearly not.
i know that this argument might be a stupid comparison due to the variables, however, the AFL and ASADA were quick to suspend Willie Roili for 2 years for smoking weed, but the AFL gives Tex 6 weeks suspension for racism?

Willie got 2 years for falsifying a sample not smoking weed.
How can you go comparing drug use to racism...seriously.
MW
Coach

Postby The_Rampaging_Bull » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:52 pm

The suspension co en sided with his positive test for cannabis after the elimination final win over the bombers in 2019 as well as tampering with his test sample. Both lead to the suspension.
As i said, there were many variables to the suspension, but in the end of the day, the punishment was greater than what Tex got with his racist comment.
My question was, which action has a greater impact on society? racism or weed/ sample tampering?
The_Rampaging_Bull
Mini-League

Postby stan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:00 pm

MW wrote:
The_Rampaging_Bull wrote:The problem with words is that it sends a message that its OK to say these comments, when its clearly not.

That was pretty odd right there. Got the 2 years for putting Gatorade in his sample.

Would of got less for the dope.

Hardly comparable.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby MW » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:12 pm

The_Rampaging_Bull wrote:The suspension co en sided with his positive test for cannabis after the elimination final win over the bombers in 2019 as well as tampering with his test sample. Both lead to the suspension.
As i said, there were many variables to the suspension, but in the end of the day, the punishment was greater than what Tex got with his racist comment.
My question was, which action has a greater impact on society? racism or weed/ sample tampering?

Thats a question that has no correct answer
MW
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:21 pm

stan wrote:
MW wrote:

That was pretty odd right there. Got the 2 years for putting Gatorade in his sample.

Would of got less for the dope.

Hardly comparable.

Got two years for being a dopey prick lol.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby tigerpie » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:28 pm

MW wrote:Are there any players from the Collingwood squad left over who systematically called Lumumba 'chimp'? They got off lightly didnt they.

He got called chimp for his agility and long arms not because he is black.
Everyone draws the conclusion that it was cause he was black.
Its easy to draw that conclusion yes, and we now know better.
Spider Everitt, should he be pissed off too?
We had an Indian bloke in our junior cricket team we called panther cause he was brilliant in the field, and pounced on everything.
What I'm saying is there are contexts that need to be considered, before the unknowing, draw out the race card.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:31 pm

tigerpie wrote:
MW wrote:Are there any players from the Collingwood squad left over who systematically called Lumumba 'chimp'? They got off lightly didnt they.

We had an Indian bloke in our junior cricket team we called panther cause he was brilliant in the field, and pounced on everything.
What I'm saying is there are contexts that need to be considered, before the unknowing, draw out the race card.
Lol, despite him hating the name and himself and others continually calling it out they still did it. Not shocked with a racist President running the show though
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MW » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:32 pm

tigerpie wrote:

Ah yes, of course. in the space of 10 years we accepted it vs ban and ostracise someone for life. That's right.
MW
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:42 pm

MW wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

Ah yes, of course. in the space of 10 years we accepted it vs ban and ostracise someone for life. That's right.

A lot can happen in 10 years. I tell you what though, if they start giving out life bans, it'll soon stop. That goes for players and supporters alike.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby tigerpie » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:48 pm

MW wrote:
tigerpie wrote:

He took it as a compliment, then had an "experience" and decided it wasn't complimentary, it was racist.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL