Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:26 am

The Bedge wrote:Scenes out of Afghanistan, heartbreaking.. videos of people trying to climb the outside of departing US planes just to escape - and then falling from the sky. :(

20 years of stuff ups culminating in these horrific scenes. Feel for everyone over there but in particular the women and children who will lose the most.

Cant see that situation changing in our lifetime, hardly think any western country will touch Afghanistan again for a very long time, especially if the Taliban are happy to just sit in Afghanistan and not have more global goals in mind.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:36 am

Saw a photo of a plane load of Afgans being evacuated, not one female :(
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:31 am

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Scenes out of Afghanistan, heartbreaking.. videos of people trying to climb the outside of departing US planes just to escape - and then falling from the sky. :(

20 years of stuff ups culminating in these horrific scenes. Feel for everyone over there but in particular the women and children who will lose the most.

Cant see that situation changing in our lifetime, hardly think any western country will touch Afghanistan again for a very long time, especially if the Taliban are happy to just sit in Afghanistan and not have more global goals in mind.

What do you mean by "stuff ups"?

The US and Allied Forces have spent over 3 trillion dollars building a 300,000 strong army for the Afghani Government to be able to defend themselves against the Taliban who are 100% ground troops, the US have employed the Afghani army, how heartbreaking for them to see the Government fold like a deck of cards at the first sign of trouble at the capital?

It's a devastating situation for the world, the women have no rights and the rest of the world can only watch on, there is no answer now, invading them is pointless, containment and monitoring them now will be the main focus.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:38 am

What I don't quite get, is how from a population of 38 million that a 150,000 people are able to take control of the entire country.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby MW » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:49 am

The Bedge wrote:What I don't quite get, is how from a population of 38 million that a 150,000 people are able to take control of the entire country.

Because the men from that 38m population welcome it
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2599 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:11 am

I was amazed at the outset when the US and its allies decided they could do something about Afghanistan after the Russians had failed to do anything effective...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:12 am

They should have just sent in Rambo.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:21 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

What do you mean by "stuff ups"?

The US and Allied Forces have spent over 3 trillion dollars building a 300,000 strong army for the Afghani Government to be able to defend themselves against the Taliban who are 100% ground troops, the US have employed the Afghani army, how heartbreaking for them to see the Government fold like a deck of cards at the first sign of trouble at the capital?

It's a devastating situation for the world, the women have no rights and the rest of the world can only watch on, there is no answer now, invading them is pointless, containment and monitoring them now will be the main focus.

Just reading one article and they listed about 20 things that have gone significantly wrong. The ones in particular that came to mind were:

Apparently most of the Afghan government appointments by the US were of guys that had a renowned history of being corrupt and swinging from one side to the other.

Things such as payments had stopped in recent times resulting in some level of disillusion with the afghan forces.

I don't follow it too closely but even the fact they have spent trillions of dollars for it all to come undone in a week is a major stuff up to their own people back in the US. Imagine how that money could have been spent.

Its all just a giant shit show.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:21 am

Wedgie wrote:They should have just sent in Rambo.

How come the average Joe like you and I can see that but those in positions of power can't?

It's a no brainer, take Bryan Mills with him for a bit of added insurance.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:21 am

The Bedge wrote:What I don't quite get, is how from a population of 38 million that a 150,000 people are able to take control of the entire country.

Especially when the US had provided the weaponry and resources they had as well.
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:33 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:They should have just sent in Rambo.

How come the average Joe like you and I can see that but those in positions of power can't?

It's a no brainer, take Bryan Mills with him for a bit of added insurance.

Throw in Chuck Norris and they can take down China while they're out and about too.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:43 am

MW wrote:

Maybe the problem isn't the Taliban then - maybe the problem is the Western Media telling us how we should think/react/assess the situation and what's "good" for Afghanistan?

Maybe we know nothing, and they prefer their way of life - hence how quick they were to basically take back over in the space of a week without very much resistance.

Not saying all their policies or whatever are right, but why does every country have to be like and behave like America?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:46 am

The Bedge wrote:
MW wrote:

Maybe the problem isn't the Taliban then - maybe the problem is the Western Media telling us how we should think/react/assess the situation and what's "good" for Afghanistan?

Maybe we know nothing, and they prefer their way of life - hence how quick they were to basically take back over in the space of a week without very much resistance.

Not saying all their policies or whatever are right, but why does every country have to be like and behave like America?

Women have no rights, they aren't even allowed to leave the house unless accompanied by a male, of course the men are going to love them standards, rape will be rife.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:47 am

The Bedge wrote:
MW wrote:

Certainly understand that sentiment, but back to your original point of people falling from the sky, the lineups at the airport, the many calls for help - there's obviously a large number of citizens over there that don't prefer their way of life.

I don't know what the answer is but it's tragic to think of the women and children who are suffering and will continue to do so, without any hope for help. Just heartbreaking.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:50 am

Just trying to get my head around it and make sense of it - it's so bloody hard to fathom what it would be like, given how good our way of life is (even if we do have COVID restrictions).
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:47 pm

Bit hard when the Taliban aren't in uniforms to work out who is the one you're fighting.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:21 pm

Yet another mate put on end of life care after a battle with cancer. We used to open the batting together and he's less than 6 months older than me. This getting old bizzo sux. :(
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jase » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:04 pm

Eldest Jase has started his first week of his first nursing placement at an old folks place and he has been put in the Dementia area...this is end of life stuff and very very confronting

The poor kid is 18 years old and he is a mess tonight...

Feel for him...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1479 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby MW » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:16 pm

Wedgie wrote:Yet another mate put on end of life care after a battle with cancer. We used to open the batting together and he's less than 6 months older than me. This getting old bizzo sux. :(

Sorry to hear Wedgie. I have a mate with stage 4 brain cancer...and just a matter of time before this happens.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2599 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Jase » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:12 pm

Wedgie wrote:Yet another mate put on end of life care after a battle with cancer. We used to open the batting together and he's less than 6 months older than me. This getting old bizzo sux. :(
Sorry to hear mate... :(

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1479 times
Been liked: 551 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion