No votes
Plympton
No votes
WOS
No votes

Total votes : 19

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 3

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:16 pm

I do giggle at clubs in D5, D6 and D7 who are at the bottom of the tables complaining about 8 team divisions being a bad idea - they play in 9 team divs at the moment and are struggling in those.. dropping an extra side out doesn't make a huge difference :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:17 pm

The Bedge wrote:
bubba love wrote:Do you guys know which way your club will go on it? Are teams in div 4,5 etc going to vote for something that will end with them being relegated?! I’ve only recently stopped playing but if I was and our committee had voted for it and cut the legs out from under the playing group I would be livid

Certainly plenty of mixed thoughts getting around from the people/clubs I've spoken with.

Funnily enough, the lower the division and lower the ranked club i.e. Ingle Farm - the more against the idea they are.

Once you look at it as effectively just a div name change and slight adjustment, and the fact your "ranking" doesn't change in the wider scheme of things, the easier it is to swallow.

It probably becomes more daunting when you're staring down the barrel of "division 8" or similar.

I still think people get too hung up over divisions and the perception of "needing" to be in a certain division.

Would the relegation pill have been easier to swallow if the question/vote was cast before the season had started.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bubba love » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:17 pm

Fair call mate, modbury have matched it and beaten most of the top 4, could miss the 4 and get relegated, you slip back into 4 and things don’t go the way you plan and you don’t go back up you’ve potentially set your club back years, I just don’t see how you can sell that to your playing group.
Get what your saying re division names but clubs will still know they’re in the 3rd or 4th tier comp despite what you call it
bubba love
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Mallee Park

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:18 pm

whufc wrote:Would the relegation pill have been easier to swallow if the question/vote was cast before the season had started.

Last time I checked, we hadn't started 2022 yet :P
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Trader » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:20 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Sass! wrote:The initial barrier for alot of people seems to be the "relegation" to division 4. I do think that if the 8 team comp went ahead, calling Division 1 the Premier/ Championship Division (or similar) could alleviate some of those concerns as teams 9 to 16 would then become the Division 1. 17 to 24 Division 3 and so on.

Agree with this.

Nah, in 10 years time when everything reverts back to normal, there will be teams claiming they were Div 1 premiers despite never playing in the highest ranked comp!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:21 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Would the relegation pill have been easier to swallow if the question/vote was cast before the season had started.

I meant would it have been better if clubs had a whole years notice to get their ship in order and ensure they did everything possible to not be in the relegation positions knowing it meant they would go down an 'extra' division. If the decision for next year was made before this year started no one would have been able to have any complaints and im sure more clubs would have been onside.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:23 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

I meant would it have been better if clubs had a whole years notice to get their ship in order and ensure they did everything possible to not be in the relegation positions knowing it meant they would go down an 'extra' division. If the decision for next year was made before this year started no one would have been able to have any complaints and im sure more clubs would have been onside.

Now you're making excuses for these clubs and their crap. No bloody way. Wouldn't have made a single bit of difference.

Reality is, every year clubs know top 2 go up, bottom 2 go down.. and they "ensure they do everything possible" to be in that top 2.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:38 pm

I'm still undecided on my own preference for 2022 but people have to get the term "relegation" out of their mindset. What is being proposed is a recalibration of the divisional structure based on reduced team numbers in each Division. A Division 5 club this year has 2 Divisions below it. If that club is in Division 6 next year in a 9 Division competition it has 3 Divisions below it. You could even argue they have been promoted if you look at things from the bottom up rather than the other way around.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Dols » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:44 pm

Down the Hill wrote:I'm still undecided on my own preference for 2022 but people have to get the term "relegation" out of their mindset. What is being proposed is a recalibration of the divisional structure based on reduced team numbers in each Division. A Division 5 club this year has 2 Divisions below it. If that club is in Division 6 next year in a 9 Division competition it has 3 Divisions below it. You could even argue they have been promoted if you look at things from the bottom up rather than the other way around.
You sound like Gladys Berejiklian!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:44 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Now you're making excuses for these clubs and their crap. No bloody way. Wouldn't have made a single bit of difference.

Reality is, every year clubs know top 2 go up, bottom 2 go down.. and they "ensure they do everything possible" to be in that top 2.

That's the difference now though is that more than 2 'go down' if you hold the number of the division your in with that high regard.
whufc
Coach

Postby pureclass » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:49 pm

Down the Hill wrote:I'm still undecided on my own preference for 2022 but people have to get the term "relegation" out of their mindset. What is being proposed is a recalibration of the divisional structure based on reduced team numbers in each Division. A Division 5 club this year has 2 Divisions below it. If that club is in Division 6 next year in a 9 Division competition it has 3 Divisions below it. You could even argue they have been promoted if you look at things from the bottom up rather than the other way around.

Agree that clubs shouldn’t see it as being relegated. The promotion/relegation system is two up and two down.
The only division that has two going down is division 1 so maybe those two clubs can feel they have been relegated.
pureclass
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby JesseWhite » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:52 pm

I feel like people are also missing the fact that there will be no promotion (again) for clubs if you take the point of view the number of your division matters.

It really comes down to the perspective you have I suppose.
JesseWhite
Rookie

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:55 pm

JesseWhite wrote:I feel like people are also missing the fact that there will be no promotion (again) for clubs if you take the point of view the number of your division matters.

It really comes down to the perspective you have I suppose.

Indeed, in a way it's an interesting thought exercise of the (perceived) benefit to the individual club against the (perceived) benefit to the collective of clubs as a whole.

On the face of it there is an incongruence between what is good for the clubs individually as against what's good for the clubs as a group.

Places everyone involved in a tight spot (except for the top 8 clubs in D1 who objectively have nothing to lose)
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Hector » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:14 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here. Why would clubs be happy to be relegated regardless of how many teams will be in there division next year?
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:27 pm

Dols wrote:
You sound like Gladys Berejiklian!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm ultra impressed that you spelt her name correctly.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:29 pm

Just take the approach that most women use as I hear so often "Yeah, my son plays AFL"!!

Your son plays "football" in the "SANFL Juniors"
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:30 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Surely you go out there each week to win with your best possible team available?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:31 pm

Hector wrote:
That's one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here. Why would clubs be happy to be relegated regardless of how many teams will be in there division next year?

Amateur :D

There is far worse waffle around the traps.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:43 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Surely you go out there each week to win with your best possible team available?

Absolutely, but some clubs may have been willing to stretch the budget a bit further this year if they knew the consequences that existed and the number div they play in means so much to them. We all know some clubs look to have rebuilding years or play the youth etc would they have taken that risk knowing what the consequences potentially were going to be. I mean not every club did a CU and go on the worlds biggest recruiting spree.

My point was more that if this was announced at the start of the year every team would have known what they were playing for this year.....you also wouldn't have teams making decisions based on where they sit on the ladder right now.

A vote before the season started would have been more reflective of the best interests of the league rather than doing it at this point which will now just be a club by clubs best interests based on ladder positions. imo of course.
Last edited by whufc on Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Executive Member » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:14 pm

Hector wrote:
whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Unfortunately, before the year started the Covid case load in Australia was probably close to 0 and we had gold standard quarantine facilities that ensured it would never get into the community :roll:
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League