R19 Eagles v Centrals Sat 2.10

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R19 Eagles v Centrals Sat 2.10

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:47 am

Al4 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:Last year we had a team that hated the coach but at least saw the season out

This year everyone is happy and more than happy to checkout a month before the season finished
Will certainly be interested in the thoughts of a couple on here who defended everything the club did

There are probably plenty of things not being done well at CDFC, same as other clubs go through, but there is one glaring problem - its our under age sides. From 1994 to 2005 we won a couple of premierships in U17s and U19s and we were a around the middle of the ladder the rest of the time. But from 2005 to 2021 our U17s/U16s have "won" 8 wooden spoons and rarely been in the top half of the ladder. Same with our U19s/U18s - 5 wooden spoons and no appearances in the top half of the ladder.

Without juniors coming through, we don't get the depth to support our recruits, and anyway the best young players go in the afl draft. It shows in our league results four or five years later, when the players have reached 22 or 23 years of age.

A lot of the problem is just demographics and zones, but some has to be down to the club. I hope we focus on junior development for the next few years. Maybe it's something our incoming CEO can look at from a fresh viewpoint.
Have heard that a decent broom is going through the under age program down there
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby beef » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:36 pm

Half the league side and 16 of the reserves side yesterday came through their under-age program. Not sure how that compares to other teams but I'd say not being able to get quality recruits to go along the local players is more of an issue regardless of under-age success.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby smac » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:07 pm

I keep hearing the beef but it's about more than numbers.

Most aren't of league standard, getting a game by attrition.

The club is in a hole of its own making, hopefully the slow turnaround has begun with a new coach this year and new off field leadership next year.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby bulldogproud » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:49 pm

ferret wrote:
bulldogproud wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:Last year we had a team that hated the coach but at least saw the season out

This year everyone is happy and more than happy to checkout a month before the season finished
Will certainly be interested in the thoughts of a couple on here who defended everything the club did

Okay, I'll take the bait and have a go ;)
I hope that is the last time that the SANFL ever program a bye in the penultimate round of the season. Our season ended a fortnight ago with our win over Adelaide. Absolutely nothing to play for today... and, boy, did the team show that that was their attitude. The Eagles would have been better setting up against a team of training cones and we would have been better off just watching our Reserves.

Until our final three losses, we had been competitive in every match we played. There was only one match where we were not within three goals of our opponent at some stage of the final quarter. If we can snare an experienced recruit or two and start to believe in ourselves, we can make the finals next year. Greg Edwards coming onboard will be a very positive step. We currently have a number of very young players in the Reserves who have the goods, and a number already in the League who have a good future ahead.

Back to today's game, despite our lacklustre performance, I cannot help but lift my lid to the Eagles... the premiership is a two-horse race this year, no guarantee the cup is heading to Brighton Road yet.

Cheers

But.............Last season, last game, Dogs had nothing to play for and still beat the eventual premiers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I hope you haven't changed to "bulldognotsoproud"

Huge differences between the situation this year and last year. Our boys pretty much put their cues in the rack after our win against Adelaide two weeks ago. Absolutely ridiculous having a bye in the penultimate round of the season. 13 days off before the final match had us very much in post-season attitude.

I will always be Bulldogproud... incredibly proud of the club that gifted me with 9 premierships. No matter what happens in the short time I have left on this earth, they will be some of the greatest moments and memories of my life... together, of course, with the WTDCC premierships.

Cheers
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby beef » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:33 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Al4 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

There are probably plenty of things not being done well at CDFC, same as other clubs go through, but there is one glaring problem - its our under age sides. From 1994 to 2005 we won a couple of premierships in U17s and U19s and we were a around the middle of the ladder the rest of the time. But from 2005 to 2021 our U17s/U16s have "won" 8 wooden spoons and rarely been in the top half of the ladder. Same with our U19s/U18s - 5 wooden spoons and no appearances in the top half of the ladder.

Without juniors coming through, we don't get the depth to support our recruits, and anyway the best young players go in the afl draft. It shows in our league results four or five years later, when the players have reached 22 or 23 years of age.

A lot of the problem is just demographics and zones, but some has to be down to the club. I hope we focus on junior development for the next few years. Maybe it's something our incoming CEO can look at from a fresh viewpoint.
Have heard that a decent broom is going through the under age program down there

18s coach isn't going around, only really 1 employee in the development program so assume Scott Stevens is getting sacked?
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Al4 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:06 pm

beef wrote:Half the league side and 16 of the reserves side yesterday came through their under-age program. Not sure how that compares to other teams but I'd say not being able to get quality recruits to go along the local players is more of an issue regardless of under-age success.

I think its about 50:50. A bit over half our premiership players came through our underage sides (33 out of 62). Similar number for premiership medallions - 101 out of 189.

Our lack of success with under age has been going on for much longer than out recruiting problems. Back in 2016 we recruited Darcy and Fraser Fort, Nick Holman, Elliot Kavanagh and still had Chris Jansen, Murray Stephenson and Tom Collier on our list from a few years earlier. We finished 5th in 2016, 4th in 2017 when we lost Kavanagh but recruited john Butcher, then 8th in 2018 when we lost Jansen and Collier and didn't have much success with new recruits.

Probably too early yet to judge how well the 2019, 2020 and 2021 recruits will turn out - but I do rate all 3 Neagle brothers and I'm hoping Jydon returns next year.
Al4

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:00 am

Al4 wrote:
beef wrote:Half the league side and 16 of the reserves side yesterday came through their under-age program. Not sure how that compares to other teams but I'd say not being able to get quality recruits to go along the local players is more of an issue regardless of under-age success.

I think its about 50:50. A bit over half our premiership players came through our underage sides (33 out of 62). Similar number for premiership medallions - 101 out of 189.

Our lack of success with under age has been going on for much longer than out recruiting problems. Back in 2016 we recruited Darcy and Fraser Fort, Nick Holman, Elliot Kavanagh and still had Chris Jansen, Murray Stephenson and Tom Collier on our list from a few years earlier. We finished 5th in 2016, 4th in 2017 when we lost Kavanagh but recruited john Butcher, then 8th in 2018 when we lost Jansen and Collier and didn't have much success with new recruits.

Probably too early yet to judge how well the 2019, 2020 and 2021 recruits will turn out - but I do rate all 3 Neagle brothers and I'm hoping Jydon returns next year.

Interestingly out the names you listed 4 were ex AFL footballers and 2 went on to be drafted by AFL players.

Not sure whether we have deliberately gone away from that strategy but we just cant seem to get any ex AFL players to come to the club anymore.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby gazzamagoo » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:11 am

whufc wrote:
Al4 wrote:

Interestingly out the names you listed 4 were ex AFL footballers and 2 went on to be drafted by AFL players.

Not sure whether we have deliberately gone away from that strategy but we just cant seem to get any ex AFL players to come to the club anymore.

Hopefully the other Fort will be back next year as as well.
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby bulldogproud » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:32 am

gazzamagoo wrote:
whufc wrote:
Al4 wrote:

Hopefully the other Fort will be back next year as as well.

Hoping so, but my fear is that Fraser will return home and play alongside Darcy in Victoria.
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL