Port Adelaide 2021

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2021

Postby UK Fan » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:29 am

It just shows footy is in between the ears. Nothing physically wrong with port but they were on the back foot from the get go.

If Kens biggest mistake was backing Gray Boak and Wines to get the job done Early then he’d cop that. They are the most experienced midfielders who have got the job done most of the year. It makes sense to keep backing them in.

I’m not sure Drew Entering the game 6 minutes Earlier would of made any difference lbh.

The dogs were magnificent and port were 5-10% off. That’s all it takes unfortunately.

Ken is safe atm. He’s not going anywhere while port are making finals.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:31 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
MW wrote:The question remains...why did all but a couple of players not turn up? Surely there was something in the build up if not before the game but the 2 weeks leading into it.

Can't only be the players.

It's not all the players, for sure, but the plan worked 14 of 19 times last year and 18 of 23 times this year, the body of work tells you the plan works, it's down to how well its executed.

Hinkley didn't get out marked by Naughton. Hinkley didn't miss tackles. Hinkley didn't allow the midfield to run away into space.
Drew towelled up Libba 3 weeks ago. Ken starts him on the bench and Libba has 5 touches in the opening 2 minutes and was crucial in a couple of goals. Whilst I agree the players should bear the brunt of the blame, Ken didn’t have his finest night

So you sack him for a bad night and ignore the 2 years prior?
I don’t think I said sack him but just as he accepts praises for winning he has to cop some heat for the losses. He has lost 3 Prelims now and the last 2 were perfectly set up for you.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:32 am

Booney wrote:I'll ask this, is Adam Simpson a brilliant modern day master coach or did the Eagles players execute at the right time? Is Pyke a dud because the Crows didn't show up in 2017 on GF day? If so, why is he being hyped up as the reason for Sydney's resurgence and Carlton's next coach if he's a spud?

There's no doubt coaches have an impact on every game and how sides present but that's a team of coaches, forward, back, mid, mindfulness, confidence in your physical shape and then your own headspace as a player. So many factors go into being "game ready".

Leigh Mathews, perhaps the greatest ever player and 4 time premiership coach thinks come Grand Final day coaches are almost worthless, the work has been done, it's now up to the players to do the job.

I think Hinckleys biggest critism is that he hasn't found a way to have his players show up in the big contests.

Port consider themselves a top 4 side, they have earnt the right to be in the top 4 themselves but consistently Port have failed 'to show up' against the other top 4 combatants.

The playing group(s) failure to consistently show up on the big occasions has to ultimately fall to Hinkley. What has he done to have them in the right attitude before these games? Has he made personnel changes to find blokes who can and are willing to take on the challenge under the spot light?

The biggest critism of Saturday night is that it wasn't just a few individuals who got spooked, the team was spooked. Whatever happened between the first final win and Saturday night they did not come ready to play. That has to ultimately fall on the coach.

I don't think he will get sacked but I guess its the footy world isn't it. There will be serious regret for decades to come if they go around again with Hinkley and again see a year of failure when it counts.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RB » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:36 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
MW wrote:The question remains...why did all but a couple of players not turn up? Surely there was something in the build up if not before the game but the 2 weeks leading into it.

Can't only be the players.

It's not all the players, for sure, but the plan worked 14 of 19 times last year and 18 of 23 times this year, the body of work tells you the plan works, it's down to how well its executed.

Hinkley didn't get out marked by Naughton. Hinkley didn't miss tackles. Hinkley didn't allow the midfield to run away into space.
Drew towelled up Libba 3 weeks ago. Ken starts him on the bench and Libba has 5 touches in the opening 2 minutes and was crucial in a couple of goals. Whilst I agree the players should bear the brunt of the blame, Ken didn’t have his finest night

So you sack him for a bad night and ignore the 2 years prior?
Personally I reckon you should give him another contract extension.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:44 am

Booney wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:You acknowledge the past few years, but is it becoming a pattern??

Finishing top 4 and making prelims? I f*cking hope so!

You blokes seem to think making a prelim is easy.

Winning them is your problem… you’ve got a monkey on your back until you get over that hurdle.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:46 am

Ports biggest issue continues to be that they have a group of players that are very good - exceptional even - in the right circumstances.. when the going is good, when it's on their terms, when the ski slope faces downward.

Dixon cops plenty on here and social media, but as least he tries. At least he presents and tries to do something - often with multiple defenders on him.

Marshall, Fantasia, Motlop - they dont want to know about it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but cant help but think SPP starting would've given a bit more, and Georgiades as the other tall forward could've given what Naughton did at the other end.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:48 am

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:The question is, did they get that support you mentioned in the correct manner for the prelim?

I still think the players all thought they were in the GF already.

How could you possibly tell? What did they want? What did they need? What did they get? It's impossible to measure that.

If they did I highly doubt it was because it was written on a white board.

This one falls at the players feet for mine, they were inept and they have no excuses.

Most if it falls at the players feet for sure.
At game start your leaders, Wines, Boak, Jonas just couldn't get their hands cleanly on the footy.
Mindset is so important in finals.
Forget the gf, don't even mention it during the week.
I'm sure Hinckley and his assistants would've made that message loud and clear.
Ken made no moves!
Aliir could've swung forward maybe in the third quarter. He was having zero impact down back.
He just seemed as shell-shocked as the players.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:51 am

Booney wrote:
Looks like Schofield is going to West Coast, Voss must be in the running at Carlton and the likes of Bassett and Montgomery have been there for a while, I'd say at least 2 move on. I think Bassett is the one that needs to go, as forward line coach he's responsible for all forward ball movement and that has failed us time and time again. Defensively ( Saturday night aside ) we're as good as any but we need to improve going forward.

This is where it will get tricky for Port, how do you get quality assistants in if Ken's future is clouded? Will an assistant come to SA on a 1-2 year contract?

If you lose 3 of the Assistants you mention above thats a huge hole to fill.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby MW » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:53 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Looks like Schofield is going to West Coast, Voss must be in the running at Carlton and the likes of Bassett and Montgomery have been there for a while, I'd say at least 2 move on. I think Bassett is the one that needs to go, as forward line coach he's responsible for all forward ball movement and that has failed us time and time again. Defensively ( Saturday night aside ) we're as good as any but we need to improve going forward.

This is where it will get tricky for Port, how do you get quality assistants in if Ken's future is clouded? Will an assistant come to SA on a 1-2 year contract?

On the contrary, get in there as an assistant with the view they will move Ken on soon and a job will be open.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:56 am

Carlton aside, how many assistants get the head* job at the club they are at?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:56 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Or will they see it as an opportunity to come over, impress and maybe become a leading candidate for a job with a pretty decent list. Would Port have the ability to secure a really high profile (high salary) coach, especially if the AFL have to payout Hinkley.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mots02 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:19 pm

Soooooo... just checking in here, everything still coming up Milhouse?

mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 854 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby MW » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:24 pm

mots02 wrote:Soooooo... just checking in here, everything still coming up Milhouse?

It is for Schofield and possibly Voss
MW
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:28 pm

Booney wrote:The coaching won us 17 games and a final in 2021. The coaching won us 14 of 17 games, a final and got us within a goal of the Grand Final in 2020.

The blame for Saturday night must lay at the feet of the players. As Hinkley said on Friday the preparation couldn't have been better, every thing was in place and it was now over to the players to execute and they didn't. Once the ball bounced on Saturday night the coaching staff couldn't have done any more, it was down to the playing group and in that first 15 minutes they simply didn't show up. Credit to the Dogs though, they certainly did.

That's why that trust is damaged.

I don't reckon you can give the coach(es) a pass. From the outside looking in it appeared (may be wrong) that the Power rested up where Melbourne doubled down on the training. For a team that had been in Prelims before is that what they did on previous occasions? The move for Drew on the bench while Libba kickstarted the Dogs was another puzzling one. It seemed a no-brainer (i.e. a nuffy like me thought it should have been done) to start an in form run-with player on the Dogs' key mid. I agree that the players didn't show up, but it is the coaches' responsibility to prepare these players. I reckon the Cats are in the same boat, plenty of blame to be shared with no one really getting a pass.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:50 pm

mots02 wrote:Soooooo... just checking in here, everything still coming up Milhouse?

Yeah mate.

Unless we go on a camp that is plagued in controversy.

Or pay a player to play SANFL 2 years after giving up two first rounders for them.

Or pay a former club great to go back to his old club to play.

Or have two former club champions have a public spat about one of them not feeling welcome at the club.

Or sack the coach.

Or sack the CEO.

Or sack the chairman.

Or finish bottom.

Or have a leader use disgusting racial comments towards an indigenous player.

Or take on the North Adelaide residents to find a home.

But we all know that would never happen, let alone at the one club.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Trader » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:53 pm

Drew on the bench, not great, but resolved after 6 or so mins.
Georgiades left out, annoying, but we didn't get the ball into our F50 enough to know if it would have made a difference.
SPP left as the sub, idiotic but expected.
Motlop, Fanta, etc - we like the flash and need to accept that comes with terrible games.

For mine what I want an answer on is why we let Bailey Smith run around free all night.
DBJ started with him in the 6-6-6 format, then let him go up the ground and get as much of the ball as he wanted, AND failed to pick him up on the way through whenever the doggies were streaming forward.
10 mins it it was obvious it was hurting us, and we never made a move to stop it.
For mine Smith was the worry all week, proved the be a problem straight away and we never did anything about it.
That's a big part of why I don't trust in Kern!
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:59 pm

Why hasn't Bonner been re-signed yet?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:Why hasn't Bonner been re-signed yet?

In round 8 he probably wouldn't have been, I'd say that would be fairly high on the agenda.

Garner not getting a new deal.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:16 pm

Booney wrote:

Yeah mate.

Unless we go on a camp that is plagued in controversy.

Or pay a player to play SANFL 2 years after giving up two first rounders for them.

Or pay a former club great to go back to his old club to play.

Or have two former club champions have a public spat about one of them not feeling welcome at the club.

Or sack the coach.

Or sack the CEO.

Or sack the chairman.

Or finish bottom.

Or have a leader use disgusting racial comments towards an indigenous player.

Or take on the North Adelaide residents to find a home.

But we all know that would never happen, let alone at the one club.

Remind me again why we should go easy on Port people? :lol: :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:46 pm

Why? Because I didn't list everything, that's why. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach