2021 finals series

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2021 finals series

Postby Douglas Mawson » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:14 pm

Booney wrote:Those Norwood guernseys were atrocious on TV.

We've had worse. These ones aren't made of lycra :D
Douglas Mawson
Rookie

Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:14 pm

Douglas Mawson wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Woeful performance
Will be out in straight sets if we produce this trash next week
Absolutely clueless forward entries, hopefully Rawlings tears the paint off the walls

I know you are our "yardstick" Jim and Lord knows there are far too many happy clappers in the Nwd story year on year - but I really think this one was a different finals game for us:

1. Cottonball is genuinely gone (except when Vardenega brings back echoes of it),
2. The contested ball is so much more akin to what's final-necessary; and
3. There is a willingness to try to hit up a tall up front.

The forward entries are wanting for a lack of skill not endeavour and the kids are coming on so much quicker under Twig.

We'll beat South.

We'll go again against the Eagles probably and quite frankly - bring it! The longer this year goes on the better.
I can’t fault our endeavour or effort and thought our defence was remarkable but we are 19 games into a season and still have zero forward structure or idea going forward and that is a indictment on the club. It’s all well and good for our mids to win around the stoppages and get plenty of the ball but the constant bombing into 50 and blindly hacking it forward is just atrocious football. Even when we do rarely choose the right option our skills let us down badly. I’m constantly amazed that our defenders can pin point a target 50m away yet our mids and forwards can’t hit a target 20m away who is clear. I’m not so sure about beating South, we spent a lot of petrol today and the older lads will be a tad sore
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mal » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:39 pm

Good point Jim05 maybe the Legs used up too much petrol today'
The other factor is SA have the advantage of about 3 hours extra rest
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby blueandwhite » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:24 am

Nice win by the Panfs over North.Gibbs, O'Neill and Schwarz were our best imo.
Got a nice blend of youth and experience , height and speed and the moment.
Always play well at Adelaide Oval, it was our home ground for about 100 years! and had some good support there yesterday.
Looking forward to the game v Norwood , hopefully with the inclusion of our most influential player.
I think we will win quite comfortably.
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby DOC » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:30 am

Tom Schwarz joins Mitch Clisby in retiring from League football.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby goddy11 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:14 am

DOC wrote:Tom Schwarz joins Mitch Clisby in retiring from League football.

NA website has Tom at 27. Too young to retire? Does the SANFL hold enough value any more to enable players to continue ?
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:10 am

goddy11 wrote:

NA website has Tom at 27. Too young to retire? Does the SANFL hold enough value any more to enable players to continue ?

His brother Nic will be retiring from South when they get bundled out also. Both brothers joining their other brother James at Flinders Park next year.

All three brothers want to play together and lot less demands playing Ammo's footy.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:11 am

goddy11 wrote:

What would a player like him be on at SANFL level these days?

He could comfortably go and get $1k per game for the next 7-8 years at ammo/country level, earn roughly about $100k during that period. Train less/play longer/ earn more/ get treated like a footy king.

I think we are only going to see the average age of players retiring get lower and lower in the SANFL. Once the AFL dream is gone most are going to leave, those clubs that can hang onto blokes between 25-28 are going to be the ones that are successful.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby saintal » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:48 pm

Very good win by South. Was impressed with our ball movement, the pressure applied to North and our ability to keep the scoreboard ticking over when they got a bit of a run on. Don't 'crack the ton' all that often these days.

B. Gibbs, M. O''Neill, J. Haines, L. Fitt, A. Cailotto, N. Schwarz named best.

Fitt's run of 4 goal returns extends to a third straight week. Makes a difference when he's fit and firing.

Hopefully Broadbent returns this Saturday.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby saintal » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:53 pm

goddy11 wrote:

It's been an ongoing trend/issue, blokes "retiring" at 26-28 to go and play at a lower level.

Heard somebody from the SANFL on SEN last week (Duldig I think) mention about milestone payments when players reach 50/100/150 games etc possibly being introduced to increase retention. Nice idea but not sure it'll make too much difference when the bucks offered up at country level are compared. But need to try something.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby Reddeer » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:52 pm

When will the reserve finals be played this week. Nothing on the sanfl website.
Be a long day on saturday at adelaide oval for die hard Eagle and Glenelg supporters. Sitting in a stadium from 12 noon (U18 Grand Final) to late saturday night (Eagles v Glenelg 2 semi) in again forecast wintry conditions. Not booking tickets just yet
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby nwdfanparade » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:01 pm

Reddeer wrote:When will the reserve finals be played this week. Nothing on the sanfl website.
Be a long day on saturday at adelaide oval for die hard Eagle and Glenelg supporters. Sitting in a stadium from 12 noon (U18 Grand Final) to late saturday night (Eagles v Glenelg 2 semi) in again forecast wintry conditions. Not booking tickets just yet

https://sanfl.com.au/league/matches/?le ... &round=102

ACH stadium both games
Glg v EAG 11am

St v Cd 1.30pm
nwdfanparade
Under 18s

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 145 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:46 pm

nwdfanparade wrote:
Reddeer wrote:When will the reserve finals be played this week. Nothing on the sanfl website.

ACH stadium both games
Glg v EAG 11am

St v Cd 1.30pm

Rumours are SANFL and Glenelg wanted the 2nd Semi to be played Friday night to allow club support to the 18s GF, Eagles couldn't quite see the bigger picture and this is the result....

:roll:
Last edited by am Bays on Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby RB » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:50 pm

saintal wrote:
goddy11 wrote:

It's been an ongoing trend/issue, blokes "retiring" at 26-28 to go and play at a lower level.

Heard somebody from the SANFL on SEN last week (Duldig I think) mention about milestone payments when players reach 50/100/150 games etc possibly being introduced to increase retention. Nice idea but not sure it'll make too much difference when the bucks offered up at country level are compared. But need to try something.
Sounds a reasonable idea.

Give them 50 big ones if they reach 300 games.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby DOC » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:03 pm

am Bays wrote:
nwdfanparade wrote:

ACH stadium both games
Glg v EAG 11am

St v Cd 1.30pm

Rumours are SANFL and Glenelg wanted the 2nd Semi to be played Friday night to allow club support to the 18s GF, Eagles couldn't quite see the bigger picture and this is the result....

So would you play the minor premiers off a 5 day break?
DOC
Coach

Postby am Bays » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:09 pm

DOC wrote:
am Bays wrote:
nwdfanparade wrote:

ACH stadium both games
Glg v EAG 11am

St v Cd 1.30pm

So would you play the minor premiers off a 5 day break?

Six day break

By quoting the reserves schedule for this Saturday I thought it might have been obvious I was talking about the reserves 2nd Semi, my mistake, I should've known better as a former Aldinga Beach resident I forgot to apply the Colonnades factor to my post. ;)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby blueandwhite » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:22 pm

Beyond belief there was no report from the North /South game yesterday. :shock:
Tiocfaidh ár Lá
blueandwhite
League - Best 21

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 218 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby whybother » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:24 pm

So does this mean that the Eagles, if they lose to Glenelg on their home ground, get to play the PF the following week at Woodville, being the highest ranking (minor season) team?
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby goddy11 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:30 pm

blueandwhite wrote:Beyond belief there was no report from the North /South game yesterday. :shock:

https://sanfl.com.au/league/news/sanfl- ... ion-final/ :roll:
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby DOC » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:55 pm

am Bays wrote:
Six day break

By quoting the reserves schedule for this Saturday I thought it might have been obvious I was talking about the reserves 2nd Semi, my mistake, I should've known better as a former Aldinga Beach resident I forgot to apply the Colonnades factor to my post. ;)

You should know by now that the stones that you throw need to come from a much bigger quarry.

Why on earth would you leave Aldinga Beach for Darwin? Akin to leaving Paris for Lagos.
DOC
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL