COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby oldman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:49 pm

What if the league puts in place some rules and options around "what if Covid strikes in 2022"

Keep 10 team divisions and finals structure as is if no impact on the season with covid.

If covid impacts the season then have contingency plans. Based on how many weeks the season is interrupted..... eg no finals or 2 or 3 week finals campaigns. Maybe the minor premier is automatically promoted if season interrupted and the other team promoted is either the premier or the grand finalist if the minor premier makes the gf. If all clubs know and understand what happens in each situation before the season starts then its not a compromised season and everyone is on a equal playing field.

Lets not try to fix something that works great when it might not even be broken next year. 10 teams in each grade is the perfect amount and works well for clubs and the league.
oldman
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:52 pm

Trader wrote:By being vaccinated it means your viral load builds up slower, to lower peaks, does it not?

In which case, by being vaccinated, it makes it harder to track the movement of the virus??

If so, the league might prefer people don't get jabbed so they can track outbreaks as and when they happen.

The league wont be tracking anything.

SA Health will be directing the league on where, when, who, what and how.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:53 pm

oldman wrote:What if the league puts in place some rules and options around "what if Covid strikes in 2022"

Keep 10 team divisions and finals structure as is if no impact on the season with covid.

If covid impacts the season then have contingency plans. Based on how many weeks the season is interrupted..... eg no finals or 2 or 3 week finals campaigns. Maybe the minor premier is automatically promoted if season interrupted and the other team promoted is either the premier or the grand finalist if the minor premier makes the gf. If all clubs know and understand what happens in each situation before the season starts then its not a compromised season and everyone is on a equal playing field.

Lets not try to fix something that works great when it might not even be broken next year. 10 teams in each grade is the perfect amount and works well for clubs and the league.

Except having the grand finals pays for everything else.

And if we want to have the Grand Finals and every team play each other twice and 10 teams in each grade at present that leaves a week's margin for error.

I accept having fall backs of a top 4 or top 2 in a 10 team comp is a way of getting two weeks back, but that still doesn't have a lot of flexibility.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby oldman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:00 pm

jo172 wrote:
oldman wrote:What if the league puts in place some rules and options around "what if Covid strikes in 2022"

And if we want to have the Grand Finals and every team play each other twice and 10 teams in each grade at present that leaves a week's margin for error.

I accept having fall backs of a top 4 or top 2 in a 10 team comp is a way of getting two weeks back, but that still doesn't have a lot of flexibility.

Is this a club issue or a league issue? Clubs pay a significant amount already to the league and clubs are to either find sponsorship or fund raise on their own. Could the league try other methods of income........ extra sponsorship or fundraising rather than relying so much of its income around one weekend its not a great business model to be so heavily reliant on one way to make your income.
oldman
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:01 pm

oldman wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Is this a club issue or a league issue? Clubs pay a significant amount already to the league and clubs are to either find sponsorship or fund raise on their own. Could the league try other methods of income........ extra sponsorship or fundraising rather than relying so much of its income around one weekend its not a great business model to be so heavily reliant on one way to make your income.

The League is just the Clubs as a collective though.

The fundraising will come from the Clubs paying more to the League and finding more sponsorship or doing more fundraising.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Brodlach » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:02 pm

If they don’t have money coming in from the Grand Finals the league will just increase the calls.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:54 pm

whufc wrote:
jo172 wrote:I've been mulling over next year and COVID in my head the last couple of days.

I wonder what appetite there would be amongst the Clubs/League for a condition of registration of players and coaches that all have to be fully vaccinated (or at least have some compelling medical basis for not being). I can understand that the League wouldn't really want to be the lightning rod for the anti-vac culture war, but if the 8 team proposal doesn't get up it seems to be a pretty reasonable stance.

Outside of the League and Club's control I've also been pondering what SA Health's position would be in a scenario where all 42 players in a match (and coaches, umpires etc.) were fully vaccinated, and one of them tests positive on Monday morning. Let's assume that consistent with what SA Health has told us the state won't be locked down, but there would at least, on the face of it, still be some risk that the close contacts (including all 42 players) might have to endure a period of isolation.

Obviously if this is the case it wouldn't have much to do to cause some pretty substantial knock on effects with respect to the integrity of any given competition.

If that's the position SA Health ends up taking the 8 team comps and the ability to get weeks back has a pretty obvious appeal. Otherwise it could get shambolic pretty quickly

Some really good points raised.

I reckon your bang on in that the competition is probably at its biggest risk of Covid chaos next year once we completely open up. The chances of people in South Australia catching Covid will increase dramatically. Whilst for 99% of registered players there wont be many health risk associated with catching it the big risk is you can bet your bottom dollar close contracts which very well could include players will be forced isolate for 14 days. Like you said whilst complete state lockdowns wont happen there is no chance you will be able to be diagnosed with Covid and then go play a game of footy 3 days later.

That will leave some pretty awkward situations where potentially individual teams/clubs may be required to forfeit albeit the entire state is not in lockdown.

The league would definitely need to consider a contingency plan for either rescheduling individual games or having a set rule in place in the event one team has to forfeit one to two games.

I'm still not convinced thats a given
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:01 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
whufc wrote:
jo172 wrote:I've been mulling over next year and COVID in my head the last couple of days.

I wonder what appetite there would be amongst the Clubs/League for a condition of registration of players and coaches that all have to be fully vaccinated (or at least have some compelling medical basis for not being). I can understand that the League wouldn't really want to be the lightning rod for the anti-vac culture war, but if the 8 team proposal doesn't get up it seems to be a pretty reasonable stance.

Outside of the League and Club's control I've also been pondering what SA Health's position would be in a scenario where all 42 players in a match (and coaches, umpires etc.) were fully vaccinated, and one of them tests positive on Monday morning. Let's assume that consistent with what SA Health has told us the state won't be locked down, but there would at least, on the face of it, still be some risk that the close contacts (including all 42 players) might have to endure a period of isolation.

Obviously if this is the case it wouldn't have much to do to cause some pretty substantial knock on effects with respect to the integrity of any given competition.

If that's the position SA Health ends up taking the 8 team comps and the ability to get weeks back has a pretty obvious appeal. Otherwise it could get shambolic pretty quickly

Some really good points raised.

I reckon your bang on in that the competition is probably at its biggest risk of Covid chaos next year once we completely open up. The chances of people in South Australia catching Covid will increase dramatically. Whilst for 99% of registered players there wont be many health risk associated with catching it the big risk is you can bet your bottom dollar close contracts which very well could include players will be forced isolate for 14 days. Like you said whilst complete state lockdowns wont happen there is no chance you will be able to be diagnosed with Covid and then go play a game of footy 3 days later.

That will leave some pretty awkward situations where potentially individual teams/clubs may be required to forfeit albeit the entire state is not in lockdown.

The league would definitely need to consider a contingency plan for either rescheduling individual games or having a set rule in place in the event one team has to forfeit one to two games.

I'm still not convinced thats a given

So long as Scotty times the Federal election correctly I think we'll be ok (i.e for AdFL purposes).

Post state election there will be less political enthusiasm for keeping the foot on the throat of the economy to give people the perception of safety.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:16 am

Wasn't sure where to post this so went with in here due to it being impacted by Covid.

Rec Link sent me the below email. If any club could potential help out it potentially is a great opportunity to get some decent media exposure and make a fair bit of coin over the bar/kiosk. If you have a contact can you please PM me and I will send the number through to the right contact.

Due to Covid and other issues we have had to delay our Com Cup till a Sunday in November but our long term Sponsor Norwood Oval cant help this year due to the timing. We need an oval that is fenced off and needs to be central ie not too far from the city as people come from all over to attend. If anyone has any connections or know anyone who could help -please let me know asap.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:04 am

Season to remain 10x team comps.

Divs below:
Divisions.PNG
Divisions.PNG (34.1 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:27 am

I hope CLG can secure OTR as a major sponsor, or get a bus.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Executive Member » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:29 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I hope CLG can secure OTR as a major sponsor, or get a bus.

and Smithfield in Div 7
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:52 am

Executive Member wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I hope CLG can secure OTR as a major sponsor, or get a bus.

and Smithfield in Div 7

Yeah i'm not going to play at Smithfield next year now - stuff travelling that far south every second week. :lol:

Ingle Farm kissed on to doodle - back to back seasons in relegation zone, saved by the return to 10 team comps.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Executive Member » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:18 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Executive Member wrote:

and Smithfield in Div 7

Yeah i'm not going to play at Smithfield next year now - stuff travelling that far south every second week. :lol:

Ingle Farm kissed on to doodle - back to back seasons in relegation zone, saved by the return to 10 team comps.

I would think the Unit faithful would've asked you to change your picture so you can put the kiss of death onto some other poor club ;)
Executive Member
Veteran

Postby The Bedge » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:21 pm

Executive Member wrote:I would think the Unit faithful would've asked you to change your picture so you can put the kiss of death onto some other poor club ;)

I'm a loyal Bulldog through and through. 8)

C Grade coach 2022 in C9
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:22 pm

Executive Member wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Executive Member wrote:

and Smithfield in Div 7

I would think the Unit faithful would've asked you to change your picture so you can put the kiss of death onto some other poor club ;)

Im surprised you're not locked up in the dog house after Saturdays efforts.

You're a disgrace :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Executive Member » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:39 pm

Off to Carbine Club luncheon in about 20 minutes so might start up again 8)
Executive Member
Veteran

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:43 pm

Executive Member wrote:

and Smithfield in Div 7

Oh sweet Jesus, Greenacres is their local derby.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:47 pm

I think Trinity and West Croydon should swap divs
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Brodlach » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:49 pm

Especially if West Croydon drop out and Trinity come up

Edit. Just saw Mr Beefys post
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League