2nd Semi Final Bays v Eagles

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2nd Semi Final Bays v Eagles

Postby robranisgod » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:55 am

Magellan wrote:
Interceptor wrote:
Wedgie wrote:No mockers intended, but if the Bays lost next week was there ever a time a club went the entire season virtually unbeaten and didn't make the GF?
I'm seriously struggling to remember one.

Probably not many, but Port went 17-2-1 in 1970 and were out in straight sets.
Sturt were 17-3 and defeated Glenelg (11-9) in the GF.

Yes, reckon Port in 1970 is the best example. Obviously, there are instances of minor premiers bombing out in straight sets (other post-war examples - South 1991, Centrals 1979, Port 1982, Torrens 1963, North 1958), but not having dominated the season with a win-loss ratio like the Bays had.

North in 1958 and Torrens in 1963 both suffered an horrendous run of injuries coming into the finals and in both cases there was no real shock when they went out in straight sets. Torrens were particularly unlucky not to win the Preliminary Final when North were saved by a technical umpiring decision.
Port in 1982 was a shock. They were the victims of the original 19th man saga in the Second Semi Final and then lost the Preliminary Final by a point when Granger should have been paid a free but given his antics that day it was justice that he wasn't.
Central in 1979 were too immature to win the flag and South 1991 were Minor Premier but hardly a scribe expected them to win the Second Semi and then they met a rampant West in the Preliminary Final. Because of the quirk of the draw in a 9 team competition, North had to virtually forfeit any chance of being Minor Premier in 1991.
In 1970, Sturt were 17-3, but they had been 17-0. Jack Oatey gave them a Bart Cummings preparation.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:05 am

robranisgod wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Interceptor wrote:
Wedgie wrote:No mockers intended, but if the Bays lost next week was there ever a time a club went the entire season virtually unbeaten and didn't make the GF?
I'm seriously struggling to remember one.

Probably not many, but Port went 17-2-1 in 1970 and were out in straight sets.
Sturt were 17-3 and defeated Glenelg (11-9) in the GF.

Yes, reckon Port in 1970 is the best example. Obviously, there are instances of minor premiers bombing out in straight sets (other post-war examples - South 1991, Centrals 1979, Port 1982, Torrens 1963, North 1958), but not having dominated the season with a win-loss ratio like the Bays had.

North in 1958 and Torrens in 1963 both suffered an horrendous run of injuries coming into the finals and in both cases there was no real shock when they went out in straight sets. Torrens were particularly unlucky not to win the Preliminary Final when North were saved by a technical umpiring decision.
Port in 1982 was a shock. They were the victims of the original 19th man saga in the Second Semi Final and then lost the Preliminary Final by a point when Granger should have been paid a free but given his antics that day it was justice that he wasn't.
Central in 1979 were too immature to win the flag and South 1991 were Minor Premier but hardly a scribe expected them to win the Second Semi and then they met a rampant West in the Preliminary Final. Because of the quirk of the draw in a 9 team competition, North had to virtually forfeit any chance of being Minor Premier in 1991.
In 1970, Sturt were 17-3, but they had been 17-0. Jack Oatey gave them a Bart Cummings preparation.

Perhaps the wrong forum, but what was the story of these incidents RIG?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby goddy11 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:10 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
whitepointers wrote:Was anyone else expecting the game to go a couple minutes longer than it did ?
8 goals and 2 stoppages to blood rules in the last quarter.

There was only one point, suppose if there was the usual few more that would add another minute.

Hope the Bay player is okay, on the telly it looked like he was bleeding from his ear.

Hope is is ok. That did not look good.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Spargo » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:25 am

goddy11 wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
whitepointers wrote:Was anyone else expecting the game to go a couple minutes longer than it did ?

There was only one point, suppose if there was the usual few more that would add another minute.

Hope the Bay player is okay, on the telly it looked like he was bleeding from his ear.

It was the third gamer, Will Chandler.
25 min mark final qtr streaming through half forward, gets tackled & pinged holding the ball. Comes off with blood streaming from his ear. I thought it was one of the better umpired games vs the Eagles in some time but they got this decision terribly wrong at a crucial time. It was clearly high contact.
As said, can’t expect to play 1 qtr & win a 2nd semi, but if Hosie kicks that sitter to put us 7 pts up late, WWT wouldn’t have come back & won.
We’ll be better for the run, I expect to have another crack at the Eagles in a fortnight.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby goddy11 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:38 am

Spargo wrote:
goddy11 wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

25 min mark final qtr streaming through half forward, gets tackled & pinged holding the ball. Comes off with blood streaming from his ear. I thought it was one of the better umpired games vs the Eagles in some time but they got this decision terribly wrong at a crucial time. It was clearly high contact.
As said, can’t expect to play 1 qtr & win a 2nd semi, but if Hosie kicks that sitter to put us 7 pts up late, WWT wouldn’t have come back & won.
We’ll be better for the run, I expect to have another crack at the Eagles in a fortnight.

Never high tackle. It was a clash of heads. Not sure if that was why Tsitas had to come off with nose bleed later on.
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby Spargo » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:40 am

I said high contact not high tackle. A clash of heads is still a free kick to the player in possession.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby MJP1993 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:05 am

goddy11 wrote:
Spargo wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:
whitepointers wrote:Was anyone else expecting the game to go a couple minutes longer than it did ? Ok

Never high tackle. It was a clash of heads. Not sure if that was why Tsitas had to come off with nose bleed later on.[/quote]

Honestly you’ve named the two things that won the eagles that game
Tsitas great tackle in the centre , call it what you like it appeared no talking from Glenelg players to say kick it or get rid of it .
And the point made it easier for the eagles to rebound and goal
Let’s not forget these two finals wins by the eagles after they’d lost key players in each game .
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby Pseudo » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:14 am

At the first bounce, the bloke next to me yelled some "encouragement" to the Bays ruckman, and speculated that his direct opponent couldn't be any good if he was that fat.

Old eagles fan in front turns around and says "He gets a pie everytime he wins a tap."

Best comeback line I've heard at the football in ages. Kudos to you sir.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby whybother » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:46 am

Wundke handed the keys to the oven over to Red as he left Oval Avenue
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby gazzamagoo » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:47 am

Ginever hit the nail on the head, he basically said that Glenelg should lose this game to win the grand final,
"It's all about the preparation".
gazzamagoo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1656 times
Been liked: 643 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby MJP1993 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:52 am

Pseudo wrote:At the first bounce, the bloke next to me yelled some "encouragement" to the Bays ruckman, and speculated that his direct opponent couldn't be any good if he was that fat.

Old eagles fan in front turns around and says "He gets a pie everytime he wins a tap."

Best comeback line I've heard at the football in ages. Kudos to you sir.

I should be pissed off at this but I’m not laughing my head off !

Reminds me of the Eagles v Port seconds game . Port fans yelling how fat Redden and Longeran were . Best comeback those two tore Port apart .
Mind you Redden was that size for Port to iirc
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby JK » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:06 pm

Hard to see the Bays losing next week, but thought that in 09’ til Matty Jaensch broke their hearts .. Will Broadbent be fit for the Prelim?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby RB » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:22 pm

gazzamagoo wrote:Ginever hit the nail on the head, he basically said that Glenelg should lose this game to win the grand final,
He's not wrong. Given how little footy they've played surely they'll be better for the run. The fact they came back in the second half probably bodes well too.

Last year, North couldn't possibly have played better in the 2SF and the Eagles couldn't have played much worse. You only need a bit if a reversion to the mean two weeks later and it's a totally different story. One quarter of the Eagles playing their best and it was all over.

There's every chance Glenelg could do this year what the Eagles did last year.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby JK » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:28 pm

RB wrote:
gazzamagoo wrote:Ginever hit the nail on the head, he basically said that Glenelg should lose this game to win the grand final,
He's not wrong. Given how little footy they've played surely they'll be better for the run. The fact they came back in the second half probably bodes well too.

Last year, North couldn't possibly have played better in the 2SF and the Eagles couldn't have played much worse. You only need a bit if a reversion to the mean two weeks later and it's a totally different story. One quarter of the Eagles playing their best and it was all over.

There's every chance Glenelg could do this year what the Eagles did last year.

Yep I agree, thought the same in 2019 too. Risky though with an additional week with potential for injury or suspension.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby am Bays » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:01 pm

Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:
RustyCage wrote:Huge pressure on Glenelg now. From 17-0 to being out in straight sets would play heavily on their mind

We love it that you care enough to post

Can't sense any worry from you at all mate. None whatsoever.

Certainly not worrying about supporters from the lesser clubs ;)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:03 pm

Terrific standard of match, terrific outcome if you are an eagles supporter!

I was quietly confident going into the match thinking that all the pressure would be on Glenelg and also noting that we have been right with them for much of the matches we played against them this year.

Thought that the dominant performance we put on for the best part of 3 quarters was enabled by great games from some of our less heralded players – players like Firns, Jungfer, Rowland, Commitgianni all lifted a gear to assist the usual suspects Tsitas, Knights, Hayes, Stengle etc.
The Tsitas tackle in the last quarter was fantastic and potentially won the game for us with that act.

Who knows if we will play the Bays in the GF? South have got their mojo back and I could very easily see them winning. But if there is a next time they will have Partington and we are unlikely to have Goldy so will be interesting to see how we go. Who comes in for Goldy? If the same team balance is required then you’d have to expect it would be Litster or Macfarlane. I’d love to see the former get a game because he has serious talent but Macfarlane bring speed and class and has been building after coming back from injury and spending the last few weeks in the reserves.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby DOC » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:00 pm

JK wrote:Hard to see the Bays losing next week, but thought that in 09’ til Matty Jaensch broke their hearts .. Will Broadbent be fit for the Prelim?

No.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby PanthersFan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:58 pm

DOC wrote:
JK wrote:Hard to see the Bays losing next week, but thought that in 09’ til Matty Jaensch broke their hearts .. Will Broadbent be fit for the Prelim?

No.

This will be tough especially if Partington is back in for the Bays. But I think the lads from the South are up for the challenge!
PanthersFan
Under 16s

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby goddy11 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:24 am

PanthersFan wrote:
DOC wrote:

No.

This will be tough especially if Partington is back in for the Bays. But I think the lads from the South are up for the challenge!

Will Horne, Roberts be available or playing U19's in Perth?
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Postby DOC » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:13 am

Playing
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times