2021 SANFL Grand Final WWT Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 3pm

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2021 SANFL Grand Final WWT Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 3pm

Postby goddy11 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:20 pm

When they mentioned Jack was doing a fitness test who would have guessed this

STAR Eagles key forward Jack Hayes won the Jack Oatey Medal on a broken leg.
The state captain revealed he suffered a small crack in his left tibia at training on
Wednesday night but refused to miss the grand final before producing a best-onground performance.
Hayes played with his left leg bandaged after teammate Clay Cameron fell on him
during a training drill.
His only training after the injury, which will be scanned after the Eagles’
premiership celebrations in the next few days, was a gentle lap of the centre square
at Woodville Oval at the captain’s run session on Saturday morning.
“I got a little knock on Wednesday night but it’s all sweet now, nothing to worry
about,’’ Hayes said in the jubilant Eagles changerooms after the 67-point demolition
of Glenelg.
“It was a bit unfortunate but I got through all right.’’ He did better than that, starring
with 26 disposals, nine marks, seven clearances and a goal to be voted a unanimous
best afield.
The 25-year-old polled the maximum 27 votes from the nine judges to beat
next placed teammates Riley Knight on 11 and Kobe Mutch on seven.
“I wasn’t too worried about the injury at the time of the incident but the day after I
was,’’ Hayes said.
“I didn’t have a great training preparation and it was pretty sore on the morning of
Jack Hayes celebrates as the Eagles pour on the goals at Adelaide Oval.
the game but I had a few painkillers, which helped, and we ended up winning, so it
doesn’t matter.
“I was always going to play but there was talk about changing my role and perhaps
playing more forward (rather than helping Jarrad Redden out in the ruck) but once
the adrenaline kicked in I couldn’t feel it.’’ While Hayes awaits further scans, club
doctors diagnosed him with the “small crack’’ in the tibia, breaking the bad news to
coach Jade Sheedy.
Hayes described winning the Jack Oatey Medal as “an absolute honour’’.
“Obviously a lot of great players have won this before me, so it is a great honour,’’
Hayes said
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:20 pm

How many in that Eagles side a chance of being drafted?
Stengle is getting some nibbles but would think the majority of that team stays together for next year
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby topshelf » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:28 pm

JK wrote:Reckon one area of the Eagles game that’s gone a bit underrated is how well they withstood some serious pressure from the Bays in the 10-15 minutes before halftime. Bays jag a goal or two in that time (which imho they would have against lesser opposition) and it’s game on at halftime.

That's exactly when I thought the game was probably out of reach. A missed push in the back for Snook right in front would've been handy and Kluske shanked a snap on goal but apart from those two chances the Eagles did a really good job stopping us from getting any clear kicks on goal or taking a mark inside forward 50. Zaps confidence having the ball in your forward lines for so long and getting nothing out of it. 5 Minutes into the third, game over.
topshelf
Rookie

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:33 pm

whybother wrote:"Geez Hayes is good on one leg!
Has to be drafted surely."

I had a quick talk with JH a year or so ago. He said that he had put up for the draft and wasn't (obviously) picked. So good outcome for Eagles. And aged 25, he may have missed his chance. More good luck for Eagles. With 6 x 3 and 1 x 2 in MM, he signalled his class.

Geelong will pick him up in about 6 years time.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby topshelf » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Magellan wrote:What was yesterday's attendance?

Pretty amazing that they don't have more fans. I think i upset some on here by pointing this out before but merged club of two supporter bases, amazing success for 32 years and can barely get over 5k of support for a GF.
topshelf
Rookie

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:43 pm

topshelf wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Pretty amazing that they don't have more fans. I think i upset some on here by pointing this out before but merged club of two supporter bases, amazing success for 32 years and can barely get over 5k of support for a GF.
I think being two pretty “nothing” clubs at the time of the merger hasn’t helped and most new fans to the SANFL probably follow who their parents/grandparents supported.
If they keep having success they will definitely attract new fans but I don’t ever see them being a club that has huge numbers and I’m guessing their fans could care less either just quietly
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby topshelf » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:53 pm

Jim05 wrote:
topshelf wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

I think being two pretty “nothing” clubs at the time of the merger hasn’t helped and most new fans to the SANFL probably follow who their parents/grandparents supported.
If they keep having success they will definitely attract new fans but I don’t ever see them being a club that has huge numbers and I’m guessing their fans could care less either just quietly

Fair enough Jim, I just thought they had pretty good support in the 90's. Maybe what Centrals did to them in a few Grand Finals turned a few away. Agree, if i was a supporter I wouldn't give a rats either. Just an observation.
topshelf
Rookie

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:56 pm

am Bays wrote:Word at the Bay last night was that we were supposed to use the Port rooms yesterday but apparently there were still 2-3 Port players in their still getting ready for their Preliminary Final….

Losing Grand Finals and thinking of Port Adelaide, we really do own your sorry arses. :lol:
Last edited by Booney on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby whybother » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:02 pm

To paraphrase the great Malcolm Blight: the race to a premiership is not a sprint but a marathon. And look what happened at Marathon, it was a massacre.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby southernbulldog » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:06 pm

Congratulations to the Eagles .They have been amazingly consistent over the last 20 years rarely missing the finals.A credit to all concerned with the club.
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Brodlach » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:38 pm

Shane Reardon deserves a lot of credit for the success at the Eagles.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Aerie » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:39 pm

A brilliant 4-quarter performance by the Eagles.

I thought if the Eagles could match the bay midfield, their potency forward could provide enough to win the game. To have all of Dan and Troy Menzel and Stengle with goals in the first quarter was a great sign. Never under-estimate the work Angus Poole and Jack Firns do up forward though. Firns role didn’t just nullify Curran - he provided a genuine contest at CHF and often came out on top, every single time. His finals series was outstanding and he must be one of Sheedy’s favourite players. I thought he was next best to Jack Hayes. If that was Poole’s last game, I am very sorry to see him go. He was one of the few who always had what it takes for finals football. His courage and pressure is immense. His standards always high, he has been a wonderful player for the Eagles who I’d hope could be talked in to going around again.

The defence was impenetrable. A legacy of the set up left from the Godden era, Luke Thompson, Pat Giuffreda and Sam Rowland are often the last line and often come up with the ball. Every bit as brilliant at their defensive craft as the Menzel’s and Stengle are up forward. Luke Beecken was this years young gun who played with an inflated confidence Sheedy seems to be able to give. Jungfer and his kamikaze style and good use of the ball is a gem. Lehmann and Cameron made sure the ball was brought to ground and playing the extra tall in defence proved a good decision. On a different day, Cameron could be just as useful up forward.

Games are won in the midfield and the big triple premiership ruckman was influential in giving his midfielders first use of the ball. Tsitas, Lonergan and Sinor provide the much needed grunt a premiership winning midfield needs. Knowing Glenelg have the same caliber of players makes this win even sweeter. Knight has been brilliant and a great replacement for Foote. Mutch became better as the season progressed and had a great Grand Final and Finals series - always handy to be competent on both feet. Toumpas, I believe, is three Premiership wins from three Grand Finals and has been one of the leading possession getters on the wing in all three games. Pudney and Comma forced their way in to the league side through performance after just missing out this year. Comma looms as the new Gus Poole if Poole does retire. He is fearless.

Then there is Jack Hayes. The best player in the SANFL. The Jack Oatey medalist playing with a fracture in his leg. He leads from the front and is a force no other side has. Ruck, Ruck Rover, Centre Half Forward, he has all those old positions covered. He deserves a chance at the highest level.

The lead in the first quarter was handy. The 2nd was an arm wrestle - Glenelg did well to hold the Eagles for the first 15 minutes, the Eagles did equally well to hold Glenelg before half time. The half time wait was full of expectation of a Glenelg come back - but the Eagles through the dominant Redden, hit the scoreboard early and the tackling and smothers of Sinor in that 3rd quarter were proof Eagles weren’t letting Glenelg back in the game. The 4th quarter was pure bliss.

Back to back for the first time. The merged club now has 5 premierships and a Magarey Medallist. 1993, 2006, 2011, 2020 and 2021 sit forever alongside the flags of 1924, 1933, 1945 and 1953 at Oval Avenue. The stairway of legends continues to grow.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:06 pm

Booney wrote:
am Bays wrote:Word at the Bay last night was that we were supposed to use the Port rooms yesterday but apparently there were still 2-3 Port players in their still getting ready for their Preliminary Final….

;)
Losing Grand Finals and thinking of Port Adelaide, we really do own your sorry arses. :lol:

You used to, a looooong time ago, not anymore. We beat you only 2 years ago in a GF, remember?
You’ve arguably posted more in this thread than all year in any SANFL threads combined, that would suggest something else… ;)
You want to talk Port? Great history, much respect, won so many flags, soooooo long ago. Won nothing in the SANFL this century. AFL side has won one flag in its 25 year existence. As one club, that’s a combined 1 flag, yep 1 flag in 47 years.
Hang on to the past…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5455 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:10 pm

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:

;)
Losing Grand Finals and thinking of Port Adelaide, we really do own your sorry arses. [emoji38]

You used to, a looooong time ago, not anymore. We beat you only 2 years ago in a GF, remember?
You’ve arguably posted more in this thread than all year in any SANFL threads combined, that would suggest something else… ;)
You want to talk Port? Great history, much respect, won so many flags, soooooo long ago. Won nothing in the SANFL this century. AFL side has won one flag in its 25 year existence. As one club, that’s a combined 1 flag, yep 1 flag in 47 years.
Hang on to the past…
I didn't think he was watching the game?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:52 pm

wedgetail wrote:From the aftermath-
Guifreda retiring
Poole playing country footy with Von Bertouch and Nathan Batley (W A) next year.
Redden to go on for another year (opposition supporters can bag his weight all they like but he's been a major part in 3 premierships)
Great to see McNeil, Jones, Wehr, Rowe, 2020 premiership players along with Jack Lukosius and Izaak Rankine at the after party.
Jack Hayes played with a broken leg - what a superstar!

Can you confirm another rumour at the ground yesterday that Ben Jungfer retiring too. Apparently told Sheedy in Round 5 that he was going back to the farm or NT wherever he was from. Would be two flags in twenty odd games if so, not bad effort :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Motlop, Curran & Agnew have all retired.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5455 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:20 pm

Wedgie wrote:

I had a quick talk with JH a year or so ago. He said that he had put up for the draft and wasn't (obviously) picked. So good outcome for Eagles. And aged 25, he may have missed his chance. More good luck for Eagles. With 6 x 3 and 1 x 2 in MM, he signalled his class.

When he was at that age most likely to be drafted 19-21 he was playing predominantly as a permanent FF or CHF. There's never been ever question that he can take great contested grab but I think the knock on him was his finishing in front of goal. It was probably enough to put question marks on him. A few years on from that the team structure necessitated him spending more time in the ruck and drifting forward. It is in this role he has broken out because it allows him to continue showcasing his marking strength but also his versatility and fitness. And for whatever reason he has hugely improved his kicking for goal. I think he is definitely good enough to play AFL but history shows it is unlikely that someone in their mid-20s will be given a crack which is a shame. Good for the eagles though!
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:52 pm

Aerie wrote:A brilliant 4-quarter performance by the Eagles.

I thought if the Eagles could match the bay midfield, their potency forward could provide enough to win the game. To have all of Dan and Troy Menzel and Stengle with goals in the first quarter was a great sign. Never under-estimate the work Angus Poole and Jack Firns do up forward though. Firns role didn’t just nullify Curran - he provided a genuine contest at CHF and often came out on top, every single time. His finals series was outstanding and he must be one of Sheedy’s favourite players. I thought he was next best to Jack Hayes. If that was Poole’s last game, I am very sorry to see him go. He was one of the few who always had what it takes for finals football. His courage and pressure is immense. His standards always high, he has been a wonderful player for the Eagles who I’d hope could be talked in to going around again.

The defence was impenetrable. A legacy of the set up left from the Godden era, Luke Thompson, Pat Giuffreda and Sam Rowland are often the last line and often come up with the ball. Every bit as brilliant at their defensive craft as the Menzel’s and Stengle are up forward. Luke Beecken was this years young gun who played with an inflated confidence Sheedy seems to be able to give. Jungfer and his kamikaze style and good use of the ball is a gem. Lehmann and Cameron made sure the ball was brought to ground and playing the extra tall in defence proved a good decision. On a different day, Cameron could be just as useful up forward.

Games are won in the midfield and the big triple premiership ruckman was influential in giving his midfielders first use of the ball. Tsitas, Lonergan and Sinor provide the much needed grunt a premiership winning midfield needs. Knowing Glenelg have the same caliber of players makes this win even sweeter. Knight has been brilliant and a great replacement for Foote. Mutch became better as the season progressed and had a great Grand Final and Finals series - always handy to be competent on both feet. Toumpas, I believe, is three Premiership wins from three Grand Finals and has been one of the leading possession getters on the wing in all three games. Pudney and Comma forced their way in to the league side through performance after just missing out this year. Comma looms as the new Gus Poole if Poole does retire. He is fearless.

Then there is Jack Hayes. The best player in the SANFL. The Jack Oatey medalist playing with a fracture in his leg. He leads from the front and is a force no other side has. Ruck, Ruck Rover, Centre Half Forward, he has all those old positions covered. He deserves a chance at the highest level.

The lead in the first quarter was handy. The 2nd was an arm wrestle - Glenelg did well to hold the Eagles for the first 15 minutes, the Eagles did equally well to hold Glenelg before half time. The half time wait was full of expectation of a Glenelg come back - but the Eagles through the dominant Redden, hit the scoreboard early and the tackling and smothers of Sinor in that 3rd quarter were proof Eagles weren’t letting Glenelg back in the game. The 4th quarter was pure bliss.

Back to back for the first time. The merged club now has 5 premierships and a Magarey Medallist. 1993, 2006, 2011, 2020 and 2021 sit forever alongside the flags of 1924, 1933, 1945 and 1953 at Oval Avenue. The stairway of legends continues to grow.

Pretty much summarised everything there!

Firns playing a nullifying role up forward on Curran and Jungfer playing on the wing were two moves that Sheedy made that seemed to work really well.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:58 pm

Booney wrote:

Ha Ha the reality is you’ve become the AFL version of the Glenelg Footy Club.

Magnificent in the minor round the epitome of May Premiers but the reality is you’ve had one substantial final win as club in almost 20 years, the 2007 prelim.

Our sorry arses have become your sorry arses!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby DOC » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:28 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

When he was at that age most likely to be drafted 19-21 he was playing predominantly as a permanent FF or CHF. There's never been ever question that he can take great contested grab but I think the knock on him was his finishing in front of goal. It was probably enough to put question marks on him. A few years on from that the team structure necessitated him spending more time in the ruck and drifting forward. It is in this role he has broken out because it allows him to continue showcasing his marking strength but also his versatility and fitness. And for whatever reason he has hugely improved his kicking for goal. I think he is definitely good enough to play AFL but history shows it is unlikely that someone in their mid-20s will be given a crack which is a shame. Good for the eagles though!

Knoll. Brooksby and Hunter all recruited at 25 or older.

I would take Hayes in a heartbeat.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL