2021 SANFL Grand Final WWT Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 3pm

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2021 SANFL Grand Final WWT Eagles v Glenelg Sunday 3pm

Postby Booney » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:08 am

ferret wrote:
Booney wrote:Enjoying the Bays choke as much as I am it's been negligent of me to not acknowledge the Eagles efforts, not just in the last 18 months but in reality their whole existence.

From memory they've missed finals twice this century and stand alone when it comes to their junior program repeatedly producing AFL talent, helps with Henley and St Micks in their zone but they still do an amazing job producing talent.

Hats off to their whole organisation, they set the bench mark on field far more often than any other club has in the post-AFL era.

Think you might be a bit off the mark with your assertion that because St Micks and Henley High are in the Eagles "Zone" it helps the Eagles produce talented footballers. I believe quite a few years ago these schools became part of the Tigers Zone, this all happened when Crows and Magpies/Power were admitted to the the SANFL as separate teams. St Michaels being a private schools most probably has quite a few from several different football clubs zones attending. Also, Henley High being a dedicated sports school also has quite a few sports people from outside the football zone Henley H. is located in. I know some of their students by pass about five other high schools to attend Henley High. The Eagles were left trying to convert old Magpie supporters to follow the Eagles. Good junior programs is what contributes to the Eagles success.

I give you a compliment and you're wrong, go figure hey. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby northerner » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:12 pm

Yes, the Eagles have always been strong in juniors and that is full credit to their programme over many years. But I think a large part of the Eagles success is they are a "Destination Club"; players with aspirations for success want to play there.
Decent players in their latter years who are chasing Premierships will head to the Eags. And they will often go TO the Eagles and ask to play rather than the Eagles have to chase them down.
Its a vibe momentum which is hard to gain, and needs constant changing approaches to retain, something the Eagles have done better than any other.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 431 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby MJP1993 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:33 pm

northerner wrote:Yes, the Eagles have always been strong in juniors and that is full credit to their programme over many years. But I think a large part of the Eagles success is they are a "Destination Club"; players with aspirations for success want to play there.
Decent players in their latter years who are chasing Premierships will head to the Eags. And they will often go TO the Eagles and ask to play rather than the Eagles have to chase them down.
Its a vibe momentum which is hard to gain, and needs constant changing approaches to retain, something the Eagles have done better than any other.

Well said northerner it does make it easier to gain recruits
Having said that I’m pretty sure I saw on the WWTFC Twitter that Luke Powell was busy already with 50 applications to join the Eagles . Iirc mostly from interstate . Players get drafted from the eagles the eagles play finals most years both are big attractors. And Sheedy’s coaching style would attract players as well !
MJP1993
Under 18s

Has liked: 395 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:35 pm

northerner wrote:Yes, the Eagles have always been strong in juniors and that is full credit to their programme over many years. But I think a large part of the Eagles success is they are a "Destination Club"; players with aspirations for success want to play there.

One thing I've noticed in the last few years living in an Eagles country zone is the ex junior players still hold a fairly strong affiliation with the club.

Not sure how players are 'dismissed' at the Eagles but from what ive seen they must do it fairly well as there doesn't seem to be a heap of burnt relationships. The Eagles are spoken of very highly of up here in the mid north and I don't hear the perceived bias I used to hear from my time in Centrals zones. From my experience not many kids cut by Centrals have much nice to say about the club at all.

One thing I noticed in Centrals zones is that they tend to have really strong links with one or two clubs in their zone eg in the Barossa you had South Gawler who were renowned for having a fairly close link with the Dogs, many ex players have coached them, thinking Jeff Brown, Chad O'Sullivan, Scott Lee, Heath Lawry and now you have Salibury North where Gav Chaplin is coaching and junior Dogs players having being encouraged to move to SN.

In the Mid North no one club seems to have more of a representation or bigger network/link with the Eagles than another club.

Not sure if its the same in the Barossa but the Eagles utilise ex SANFL players who still in the region very well with their juniors. In particular we see ex Centrals boy Daniel Schell and Nick Prokopec do a lot of work with the Eagles and the kids in the mid North, being involved in the development squad process. Also in Daniel Schell case was heavily involved in the country champs seniors with the Mid North team.
Last edited by whufc on Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MJP1993 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:35 pm

Booney wrote:
ferret wrote:
Booney wrote:Enjoying the Bays choke as much as I am it's been negligent of me to not acknowledge the Eagles efforts, not just in the last 18 months but in reality their whole existence.

From memory they've missed finals twice this century and stand alone when it comes to their junior program repeatedly producing AFL talent, helps with Henley and St Micks in their zone but they still do an amazing job producing talent.

Hats off to their whole organisation, they set the bench mark on field far more often than any other club has in the post-AFL era.

Think you might be a bit off the mark with your assertion that because St Micks and Henley High are in the Eagles "Zone" it helps the Eagles produce talented footballers. I believe quite a few years ago these schools became part of the Tigers Zone, this all happened when Crows and Magpies/Power were admitted to the the SANFL as separate teams. St Michaels being a private schools most probably has quite a few from several different football clubs zones attending. Also, Henley High being a dedicated sports school also has quite a few sports people from outside the football zone Henley H. is located in. I know some of their students by pass about five other high schools to attend Henley High. The Eagles were left trying to convert old Magpie supporters to follow the Eagles. Good junior programs is what contributes to the Eagles success.

I give you a compliment and you're wrong, go figure hey. :lol:

Didn’t the Eagles lose the Henley area along with all other west Torrens zones . But my have gotten it back by giving Centrals an area of Elizabeth near the oval they got from getting the Port city zones . I could be wrong though .
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby Al4 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:13 pm

Henley High is just inside the Eagle's zone. The other side of Cudmore Tce is West's zone, so West have St Michaels College.
Al4

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:16 pm

am Bays wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Taking the belting well I see. Stay classy AM. You’ve bought the criticism on yourself champ… suck it up.

Stand by what I said last Ctoss went missing more along with at least 7 of his mates

In his 12th season at 30 odd, played his guts out for our club wining two Magarey's.

Show some respect, like you have on this thread. Not a humble winner...
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby westcoastpanther » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:23 pm

am Bays wrote:
southee wrote:
am Bays wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Taking the belting well I see. Stay classy AM. You’ve bought the criticism on yourself champ… suck it up.

Stand by what I said last Ctoss went missing more along with at least 7 of his mates

Partington 19 possessions
Cross 18 possessions

… in the preliminary final but what ever you reckon mate

Some of look at more than just possessions mate

Look elsewhere when you discussing performances in finals

Cross 18 possies, 3 tackles 1 clearances

Parto 19 5 tackles 6 clearances

Get a clue

One's a midfielder, one a now floating forward, where is it easier to get clearances and tackles. If Cross gets a clearance normally it's a goal. You've lost the plot
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:37 pm

Was at the brickworks and the big kiln stack wasn't displaying any colours?
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1415 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Wedgie » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:42 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Was at the brickworks and the big kiln stack wasn't displaying any colours?

I was there yesterday and it was displaying a red colour. ;)

As I posted a few days ago, a pretty pointless ceremony with no chimney unveiling (except for the 2.5 m replica) and no bar there.
They're putting up the colours on hoarding which will go up in the next week. It's been too windy recently
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby RB » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:02 pm

Wedgie wrote:As I posted a few days ago, a pretty pointless ceremony with no chimney unveiling (except for the 2.5 m replica) and no bar there.

Sod the chimney, the lack of a bar is way more of a concern.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby MJP1993 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:34 pm

Al4 wrote:Henley High is just inside the Eagle's zone. The other side of Cudmore Tce is West's zone, so West have St Michaels College.

So I was correct good the old memory isn’t as good as it was
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby wedgetail » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:57 pm

RB wrote:
Wedgie wrote:As I posted a few days ago, a pretty pointless ceremony with no chimney unveiling (except for the 2.5 m replica) and no bar there.

Sod the chimney, the lack of a bar is way more of a concern.

The players and 'select' officials were hosted by West End and the SANFL at 'Harry's Bar' in the city with free food, drinks and of course, the GF replay after the chimney ceremony.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby goddy11 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:09 am

Any feedback on all those Premiership T-Shirts Glenelg were printing in July. Must have sold thousands by now. :D :)
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 560 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:16 am

goddy11 wrote:Any feedback on all those Premiership T-Shirts Glenelg were printing in July. Must have sold thousands by now. :D :)

Can someone call 131 444 as they've gone missing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby ferret » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:28 am

Booney wrote:
ferret wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. Appreciate your very generous assessment of the Eagles.
I was more shitty about losing our core areas and being the most stuffed around club by the SANFL.
Agree, Henley High just sneaks in to our zone but it appears St Micks is in West Adelaide's. But students still come from various different club's zones to attend these schools.
Just looking at the zones, the NW corner of the Bloods zone would only be about 1km from Woodville Oval. Trimmer Parade is now a northern border for the Bloods.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Booney » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:34 am

ferret wrote:. But students still come from various different club's zones to attend these schools.

Exactly my point, Henley High is a destination for young men wanting to forge an AFL career, it helps the Eagles but they ( the Eagles ) are involved in the Henley program so it's their work from probably the age of 12 or 13 that is reaping them the rewards. It's a period of sustained on field success that deserves the admiration of all of the other SANFL clubs and that's with one of the smaller supporter bases in the competition. Credit to their structure at Oval Avenue.

None taken. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MJP1993 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:54 am

Booney wrote:
goddy11 wrote:Any feedback on all those Premiership T-Shirts Glenelg were printing in July. Must have sold thousands by now. :D :)

There’s probably a multitude of Glenelg flags that have gone missing left on seats at Adelaide oval and Glenelg posters flying around in the wind lmao
I know when you lose a GF you leave but should take your flags with you
Sorry was funny to see last Sunday
MJP1993
Under 18s

Postby Corona Man » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:22 am

MJP1993 wrote:
Booney wrote:

There’s probably a multitude of Glenelg flogs that have gone missing left on seats at Adelaide oval and Glenelg posters flying around in the wind lmao
I know when you lose a GF you leave but should take your flags with you
Sorry was funny to see last Sunday

EFA
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Magellan » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:46 am

Booney wrote:

My tip is look for Joel Cross. I mean, have you ever seen him and a Glenelg premiership T-Shirt in the same room at the same time?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL